Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Kona Cafe at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort closing for refurbishment this summer

Kona Cafe at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort will be closing for a refurbishment beginning August 15 2022.

Reservations are still available through August 14, Kona's final day of operation before refurbishment. During the closure of Kona, Kona Island will offer breakfast, lunch and dinner via Mobile Order in My Disney Experience.

There is no word yet on what the changes will be made, or how long Kona Cafe will be closed. The restaurant is currently listed as closed through at least September 1 2022.

Kona Cafe at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort closing for refurbishment this summer

Kona Cafe at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort will be closing for a refurbishment beginning August 15 2022.

Reservations are still available through August 14, Kona's final day of operation before refurbishment. During the closure of Kona, Kona Island will offer breakfast, lunch and dinner via Mobile Order in My Disney Experience.

There is no word yet on what the changes will be made, or how long Kona Cafe will be closed. The restaurant is currently listed as closed through at least September 1 2022.
Hooray! Hopeful it will be open when we go this fall but if not I’m still glad because we never want to eat there lately as it just really feels like it needs some TLC. Hope we get to some new menu items too :)

Hi all! Just wanted to post about our 3-night stay last weekend since this thread was so helpful as we planned.

Room: We arrived on Saturday around 10:30 a.m. and were thrilled that our room was ready. We hadn't made any requests and were assigned to a second floor room in Aotearoa with an amazing view of the Monorail (yes, I squealed every time Monorail Gold passed by, lol!). I really liked the updated rooms - they felt very fresh and clean. Mousekeeping was always present in the halls in the morning and through the afternoon so we had no problem getting extra towels, soap, etc. Our room was serviced on our middle day including making the beds.

Transportation: We absolutely loved going through security right at the Polynesian Monorail stop and being able to walk straight to the entrance at MK. At the end of our MK evening we opted to walk back via the GF walkway - we enjoy walking so we didn't mind this and preferred it to waiting in the long-looking park closing transportation lines. On our EPCOT morning we decided to take the Monorail to the TTC and switch to the EPCOT line, thinking it may take less time to clear security at the Polynesian. This ended up taking us 45 minutes door-to-door so I'm not sure if maybe it would've been faster to walk to the TTC and wait in that security line, which is what we did in years past when everyone went through security right at the park.

Food etc.: We had a couple of meals from Capt. Cook's using mobile order - the wait was fairly long on Saturday night around 7:30 - about 30 minutes or so from when we hit "prepare my order" but for lunch on Sunday the order was ready extremely quickly. So just plan ahead if you're hangry during a busier meal time :). Everything we ordered was delicious - the meatballs, superfood salad and rice noodle dish, all I would order again! Since the trip was short we sadly did not use the pool.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help!
Can you quickly explain how going through security at the monorail stop works? I've never done it before. TIA

Are the showers at the Lava pool open? I am trying to finalize our plans as we would love to visit the pool on our check out day but we would also really like to shower before leaving property :)

Can you quickly explain how going through security at the monorail stop works? I've never done it before. TIA
There is a walk through scanner right as you exit the doors from the second floor of the lobby. As long as we had nothing bigger than a wristlet, we were able to walk through and get cleared to proceed to the platform. When DH had a backpack he got pulled to the side to have the bag checked and to be wanded. When you then get off the monorail at MK, the TTC or EPCOT you do not have to go through security again. HTH!

Does anyone know if ALL OF TOKELAU IS NOW REFURBISHED with murphy beds. We are arriving in 44 days and I am about to call in a room request for Tokelau 3rd floor hoping to have room facing a little bit of Oasis and the lake. We have Standard Deluxe Studio Villa. I read it's best to call it in close to 30 days of check in and then fax a request a week prior to arrival date. Any other tips on room request (I know it's not guaranteed but I am really hoping not to get parking lot view) ??

Does anyone know if ALL OF TOKELAU IS NOW REFURBISHED with murphy beds. We are arriving in 44 days and I am about to call in a room request for Tokelau 3rd floor hoping to have room facing a little bit of Oasis and the lake. We have Standard Deluxe Studio Villa. I read it's best to call it in close to 30 days of check in and then fax a request a week prior to arrival date. Any other tips on room request (I know it's not guaranteed but I am really hoping not to get parking lot view) ??
Yes they are all refurbished.

We always request connecting studios Tokelau 2nd/3rd floor NW facing (which is the oasis pool side). We have always been lucky enough to get our requests. The last 2 years we have had the exact same room!

Our first night at the Poly we plan to take it easy, lounge around the pool and go to Trader Sam’s. Folks who’ve been there- will we want to leave Sam’s to go to dinner at Citricos, or would we have more fun staying put? This would be my husband’s and my date night, no kids.

Our first night at the Poly we plan to take it easy, lounge around the pool and go to Trader Sam’s. Folks who’ve been there- will we want to leave Sam’s to go to dinner at Citricos, or would we have more fun staying put? This would be my husband’s and my date night, no kids.
What I can recommend is winging it, We often move our dining same day to a future date if we change our minds.

Now for Citricos what is nice is that it’s bar area is quite large and has the full menu. So you could just wait and see if you want to head over or not.

I really struggle with dining at Disney, I often end up making totally different changes same day! It’s nice to know your options so check menus for QS and Ts BEFORE your trip, it helps.

Our arrival a few weeks ago we were at bwi and ran to Hs because we arrived at hotel at 7:30p. When we finished our rides the park was closed. Don’t worry dd ! Mama knows ale n compass bar you can order food until 10p and the bar open until 11p. She did not believe me! Yep we got to order food and relax and walked to our resort after.

It’s the late night options that can be hard to find. So keep looking at the times as well as menus. There’s nothing worse than being hungry and not finding food!

I realize that what I'm about to ask is all subjective and maybe it's obvious which way I'm leaning since I am posting here -- but I want to see what others think. For reference, my most recent WDW trip was in the early 90s (ToT was brand new) and I was 12. We stayed at the Cabins at FtW.

We (family of 4) are booking a trip for the week preceding Easter 2023. We are considering the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and potentially Beach Club. We have pretty much settled on a Deluxe resort for our purposes and are then narrowing down based on what we think our kids (will be 7 and 9) will like more. We were considering PO - Riverside and AoA but ruled them both out for various reasons.

My main concern with Polynesian is the pool. The BC pool is obviously tops. And the Wilderness Lodge looks like it has a bigger pool. Is the Polynesian pool always crowded? We did a little "resort day" spying session one day while we were down for a SeaWorld/LegoLand trip and spent a few hours looking around Polynesian. It just didn't seem very big. However, it did seem adequate in that it would be fun for them. We would probably spend an afternoon there so it wouldn't be an every day event. Although with kids they are always up for the pool and don't want it to be a situation where it's too crowded. (I also realize there are two pools)

Also, regarding transportation -- am I putting too much stock in the proximity to MK (which is where I think we'd spend most of our time due to our kids interests and ages)? We don't mind walking (to save time coming back, for example) and even like that idea in the event of long wait times late at night. It's a long walk but I don't necessarily mind it. Also having the boat, monorail, and buses -- an also being able to walk to the TTC -- it just provides a lot of choice. In fact, my main gripe with Wilderness Lodge is that it doesn't have the monorail or any walking trail but I think that it probably won't matter much since it seems like it's very easy still to get to MK.

As far as BC, the only real advantages I see for us are cost (maybe 10-15% less than Poly) and the pool. If we were going to spend more time at HW/EC then it might be the better choice, but while my wife and I would love to spend more time at those we think our kids will probably want to do 3 of our 5 planned days at MK and also AK.

Additionally, Poly is going to be 10-15% more than either BC or WL. However, I am not sure that is going to sway us one way or another. We are looking at just standard view rooms.

I'm just kind of seeking out opinions of those with similarly aged children and situations. It's also completely possible that I'm overthinking and should just book what we want and realize all have pros/cons.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text.

@zmdisneyworld having stayed at all three of those resorts several times, I have to say that there is no bad choice here. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but any of them will be amazing.

Polynesian -- this is my favorite resort, because I love the vibes and the easy access to MK (via monorail or resort launch or long walk) and Epcot (via Monorail). The pool can get crowded, but I've never felt like it was so crowded we couldn't enjoy it. (I'm actually not sure it's more crowded than Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club, since so many people choose BC for the pool and are thus more likely to avail themselves of it.) I have many happy memories at the pool -- or sitting on the beach with a Dole Whip watching the fireworks with my kiddos. You can't go wrong here!

Wilderness Lodge -- I absolutely love the theming here, as well as the sense that you're a bit removed from the hustle and bustle of the resort. The pool is grand, and the dining (especially at Geyser Point) is top-notch. I personally love catching the resort launch to Magic Kingdom, as it's a truly beautiful boat ride. But honestly, it doesn't take very long to get to MK, and you're taking a bus to any of the other resorts anyway. You can't go wrong here!

Beach Club -- the big draws here are Stormalong Bay, as well as easy access to Epcot (walking) and DHS (walk, boat ride, or skyliner). There are also a lot of good dining options between Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and the Swan/Dolphin. You could even walk over to Fantasia Gardens for some mini golf! You can't go wrong here!

I would choose Beach Club if I were going to spend at least one day mostly dedicated to hanging out at the pool, especially if I was doing at least one day in each of Epcot/DHS.

I would choose Poly or WL if I wasn't going to have a dedicated resort day, and instead wanted to take a mid-day break from Magic Kingdom to relax and swim. Cost being equal, I would prefer the Poly, but I've definitely stayed at WL to save money before and had an amazing time there. (You can also catch the Electric Water Pageant from either Poly or WL, which is always a must-do for me!)

Let us know what y'all decide!

I'm actually not sure it's more crowded than Stormalong Bay at the Beach Club, since so many people choose BC for the pool and are thus more likely to avail themselves of it.)
This is actually a good point, I hadn't considered.
Wilderness Lodge -- I absolutely love the theming here, as well as the sense that you're a bit removed from the hustle and bustle of the resort. The pool is grand, and the dining (especially at Geyser Point) is top-notch. I personally love catching the resort launch to Magic Kingdom, as it's a truly beautiful boat ride. But honestly, it doesn't take very long to get to MK, and you're taking a bus to any of the other resorts anyway. You can't go wrong here!
I really like the theming of WL and it is a big draw to me because it's cheaper and still Deluxe.

Electric Water Pageant from either Poly or WL, which is always a must-do for me!)
I think for this reason we probably will go with Poly or WL... BC seems great but maybe just not this time.
Let us know what y'all decide!
Sure thing and I appreciate your response. This is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to get! It gave me a lot to think about.

I realize that what I'm about to ask is all subjective and maybe it's obvious which way I'm leaning since I am posting here -- but I want to see what others think. For reference, my most recent WDW trip was in the early 90s (ToT was brand new) and I was 12. We stayed at the Cabins at FtW.

We (family of 4) are booking a trip for the week preceding Easter 2023. We are considering the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and potentially Beach Club. We have pretty much settled on a Deluxe resort for our purposes and are then narrowing down based on what we think our kids (will be 7 and 9) will like more. We were considering PO - Riverside and AoA but ruled them both out for various reasons.

My main concern with Polynesian is the pool. The BC pool is obviously tops. And the Wilderness Lodge looks like it has a bigger pool. Is the Polynesian pool always crowded? We did a little "resort day" spying session one day while we were down for a SeaWorld/LegoLand trip and spent a few hours looking around Polynesian. It just didn't seem very big. However, it did seem adequate in that it would be fun for them. We would probably spend an afternoon there so it wouldn't be an every day event. Although with kids they are always up for the pool and don't want it to be a situation where it's too crowded. (I also realize there are two pools)

Also, regarding transportation -- am I putting too much stock in the proximity to MK (which is where I think we'd spend most of our time due to our kids interests and ages)? We don't mind walking (to save time coming back, for example) and even like that idea in the event of long wait times late at night. It's a long walk but I don't necessarily mind it. Also having the boat, monorail, and buses -- an also being able to walk to the TTC -- it just provides a lot of choice. In fact, my main gripe with Wilderness Lodge is that it doesn't have the monorail or any walking trail but I think that it probably won't matter much since it seems like it's very easy still to get to MK.

As far as BC, the only real advantages I see for us are cost (maybe 10-15% less than Poly) and the pool. If we were going to spend more time at HW/EC then it might be the better choice, but while my wife and I would love to spend more time at those we think our kids will probably want to do 3 of our 5 planned days at MK and also AK.

Additionally, Poly is going to be 10-15% more than either BC or WL. However, I am not sure that is going to sway us one way or another. We are looking at just standard view rooms.

I'm just kind of seeking out opinions of those with similarly aged children and situations. It's also completely possible that I'm overthinking and should just book what we want and realize all have pros/cons.

My kids didn't care for the pool at BC/YC. It was large and everything but the hike to get to the slide was annoying on a hot day.

Wl my son loves! Even now at 24 it is still one of his favs. His rank is Wl, Cr, Poly CSR.

Dd on the other hand is Cr, Poly Gf . I am Poly, Gf, Cr, wl.

We enjoy the other deluxes but we love being on the mono.

For Epcot you can walk to ttc for the Epcot monorail. We love to mono to other resorts for shopping and eating and general exploring.

At those ages we spent so much time at MK then grabbing a quick ride back to the hotel was great! We also liked watching stuff from Poly vs in the crowds at night at MK. They enjoyed a night swim too!

The pool can be crowded but not overly so. The quiet pool is very nice too. It is one of my favorite spots especially if you want to do lunch there because it is not as crowded.

Last I like the food at poly. It is fun! Dolewhips too!

My kids didn't care for the pool at BC/YC. It was large and everything but the hike to get to the slide was annoying on a hot day.

Wl my son loves! Even now at 24 it is still one of his favs. His rank is Wl, Cr, Poly CSR.

Dd on the other hand is Cr, Poly Gf . I am Poly, Gf, Cr, wl.

We enjoy the other deluxes but we love being on the mono.

For Epcot you can walk to ttc for the Epcot monorail. We love to mono to other resorts for shopping and eating and general exploring.

At those ages we spent so much time at MK then grabbing a quick ride back to the hotel was great! We also liked watching stuff from Poly vs in the crowds at night at MK. They enjoyed a night swim too!

The pool can be crowded but not overly so. The quiet pool is very nice too. It is one of my favorite spots especially if you want to do lunch there because it is not as crowded.

Last I like the food at poly. It is fun! Dolewhips too!
Thanks for the reply. Good to have another view point. GF someday maybe!

If you think you will spend the most time at MK I would definitely pick a MK resort. I've stayed at WL and it's truly amazing that it can feel so quiet and removed from MK when it's so close. However, I personally don't think you can beat the monorail access, walking access to TTC, and now walking path to MK via GF (hopefully these all stay open with construction) at Poly. Poly was also my first WDW resort stay so it holds a special place in my heart.

Something I didn't see mentioned is also the room itself. BC hasn't been refurbished in probably 7/8 years whereas WL and Poly are both recently refurbished and fresh. I love BC, but you can see the rooms are showing age. Additionally, Poly rooms will be larger than WL and include a couch that folds down into a bed, but the bathrooms are setup differently between the resorts. Poly has the shower, toilet, and sinks all in one room behind a single door (toilet behind a pocket door). WL has the two sinks separated from the toilet and shower by a door. This can be a big deal for some families.

Last edited:

We've stayed at all 3 and the Poly is my favorite. I do love the Wilderness and we are staying there again in July.

The theming at the Poly, the pool, the views, the beach to watch fireworks, and the transportation just make it top-notch. The pool is smaller, but it's never bothered us. We also like the Oasis pool too. We've seen a lot of refurbishments (and stayed during them) over the years. It's definitely our home resort.

We did NOT care for BC. In fact, we liked CBR better when we went for a 3 day trip in December a couple of years ago. I found the dining options to be lackluster and transportation was terrible. We were taking Ubers after hour-plus waits with no buses in sight. This was pre-covid. I know a lot of people LOVE BC. It will never be an option for us.

WL is great. Great price for a deluxe. We love taking the ferry to MK and WL has great restaurants, great theming, and a great pool. We just became addicted to the Poly :) We're looking forward to going back. It was our first resort with the kids. We just decided to save a little money this year and change it up. My heart belongs across the lake, but I know I'll have just as good of a time at WL.

Not sure if that helps!

I would choose Wilderness Lodge in your shoes. The resort is gorgeous, good pool, and very convenient boat ride to MK, plus a little off the beaten path so never gets too crowded with day guests. Since you are essentially a first timer as an adult, it’s a good place to dip your toes into Disney while still having a lovely tranquil resort to retreat to if parks get overwhelming.

Poly is my personal favorite of the three, but it will crowded at a peak crowd time like Easter with people coming in from MK or TTC to shop, dine and (yes sadly people really do this) sneak into the pool. The Lava pool does get packed (though the Oasis pool is a nice alternative—although likely your kids are going to want the Lava pool for the slide). Plus you have to factor in the new tower construction between now and 2024 potentially being disruptive.

I like BC, but it is my least favorite of the three doesn’t sound like the right fit for your family. So sprawling it is hard to keep tabs on the kids, and if you are going to be at MK most it really isn’t very convenient, especially as it often shares buses with the Yacht Club so buses can get full at busy times. It’s better for a trip where you want to spend a lot of time in Epcot, e.g. for a festival).

I would choose Wilderness Lodge in your shoes. The resort is gorgeous, good pool, and very convenient boat ride to MK, plus a little off the beaten path so never gets too crowded with day guests. Since you are essentially a first timer as an adult, it’s a good place to dip your toes into Disney while still having a lovely tranquil resort to retreat to if parks get overwhelming.

Poly is my personal favorite of the three, but it will crowded at a peak crowd time like Easter with people coming in from MK or TTC to shop, dine and (yes sadly people really do this) sneak into the pool. The Lava pool does get packed (though the Oasis pool is a nice alternative—although likely your kids are going to want the Lava pool for the slide). Plus you have to factor in the new tower construction between now and 2024 potentially being disruptive.

I like BC, but it is my least favorite of the three doesn’t sound like the right fit for your family. So sprawling it is hard to keep tabs on the kids, and if you are going to be at MK most it really isn’t very convenient, especially as it often shares buses with the Yacht Club so buses can get full at busy times. It’s better for a trip where you want to spend a lot of time in Epcot, e.g. for a festival).
The tower construction is definitely something that's in the back of my mind. The Disney travel agent I am working with booked poly for us this morning and I'll get some quotes for WL and see how it looks. Thanks for your POV.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter