Disney's Magical Express

plutospup said:
...and this will cost how much?

That was my first thought, but I looked back and it did say "complimentary." We usually get a towncar service and liked the grocery stop. But we could save $120 by using the free shuttle. I don't really like the idea of having to stop at other resorts, but I'll just read here how it's working. My big concern is getting from the resort back to the airport. It looks like right now there are only a few airlines participating in that program. I wonder what it will do to Mears and all the Towncar services. Some of those are pretty small businesses and I hate to see anyone be forced out of business.

With this program and the new MYW tickets/packages, it does look like Disney is really trying to get everyone to stay in THEIR parks and restaurants as long as possible. If you don't rent a car and have the meal package, you're not going to eat off site. A 7 day park hopper pass is only $2 more than a 5 day park hopper pass. There's not much incentive to venture out to Universal, Sea World, etc.

swilphil said:
Starting on January 2, 2005, Disney's Magical Express can be booked with any new package or room-only reservation with arrivals beginning on May 5.

I know it said "complimentary shuttle" offered by Mears, but I still think there might be a charge in there somewhere! As mentioned, Disney will make more money by keeping visitors on WDW property.

swilphil said:
That was my first thought, but I looked back and it did say "complimentary."
It will be complimentary for the first year or so... at least, during the upcoming celebration. After that, there may (read: will) be a charge for the service, however it has yet to be determined.

plutospup said:
...and this will cost how much?

It looks like it will be complimentary to start with. Eventually it will probably cost something.

It looks like the resort luggage check in desk will act as the airline ticket counter.

Am I right in assuming that you wouldn't see your luggage until you got back to your home airport?

the counter at the resort would have to weigh and tag your bags and give you the luggage "receipt"?!!

Lets say you check your luggage at 9AM for a 6PM flight. You go to the parks and enjoy your day. Your luggage is sent to the airport at 10AM, goes through x ray and sits at the airport for 6 hours. Would that be right?

It looks like a logistical nightmare having to know each airline's bag weight/size restrictions.

Ed

I wonder if you can do this just one way, like from the airport to WDW? We always rent a car and visit family in Florida, but during our time at Disney the car just sits there. If we could do this just one way then we could rent a car at the Dolphin or something for the rest of our stay in Florida.

This has been tried, in various foms, in Las Vegas for years. Lots of potential for unpleasant surprises: luggage missing or arriving very late to your resort; long shuttle trips to/from airport; issues with changing flights; lots of time lost waiting, waiting, waiting....

Sounds great to me at first glance - then reality sets in & the logistical nightmares form......

Think I'll be sticking with Tiffany.... I like knowing where my bags are, I like going directly to & from my resort & I need the grocery stop for bottled water. This new service wouldn't really be a perk for me.

I'm thinking of the carry-ons. What are they going to do with those? Will there be room on the bus or will they be stowed underneath? Then there are the strollers. This is all going to add to travel time.

I don't have little kids, but if I did, I know that I'd be concerned about being on the highway without child safety seats.

I guess we have to wait and see how this is going to work. :confused3

I was just wondering, I know I've seen a company that deliveries groceries to the resorts on the boards somewhere. If I use the complimentary bus service and then have my groceries deliveried to me I could save an extra $100 :cool1:

I'm sure you can do this just one way and rent at the Dolphin or the Disney rental place. When they start charging though, I wonder though about the security of checking your bags at the resort on the return flight.

This is free to Disney resort guests. The shuttle will make a maximum of 4 stops, where Mears may make as many as 20. They are looking for a total time of 45 min.

If anyone feels uncomfortable or uneasy aout this service, you can use any of the other forms of ground transportation

spooers23 said:
I was just wondering, I know I've seen a company that deliveries groceries to the resorts on the boards somewhere. If I use the complimentary bus service and then have my groceries deliveried to me I could save an extra $100 :cool1:

I'm planning to do the same thing. I think the new service will work fine. They've been doing this for years with DCL shuttle service.

I agree with Disneyjunkie that DCL has been doing this very efficiently for some time, so it isn't like Disney is new at this and has to start from scratch. When we did DCL land/sea cruises, after we got off the plane at MCO, we were directed by Disney personnel who were at the airport to the Disney bus counter (my term, not theirs), and buses were filled by WDW destination. Since I presume the shuttles are smaller than the full sized buses we used, I imagine they would fill up a lot faster. We took our carry-on bags on the bus with us. The buses did stop at more than one resort, but the stops were grouped. When we stayed at the Poly for the land part of our land/sea, the bus stopped at each of the four MK resorts. I presume they would do the same with Epcot resorts, etc. So it isn't a long meandering ride around WDW property. And when we disembarked from the cruise boat, there were counters outside staffed with airline personnel who took care of the bags (including tagging and weighing) and loaded them onto trucks for each airline, while the passengers got on a bus for the airport, carry-ons in hand. I suspect that WDW may have airline personnel to do this at the WDW resorts under the new Magical Express program as well, although that is just speculation on my part. We've done the land/sea three times and Disney has handled the bags from start to finish each time, very efficiently with no problems. I would imagine they could just apply that same procedure to resort only stays.

So much to think about with all these changes! I got a pretty good deal on a rental car and I wanted to buy groceries; I like the idea of having the option to drive to the parks since we'll be there at a very busy time...so much to think about!

dvcreg said:
I'm thinking of the carry-ons. What are they going to do with those? Will there be room on the bus or will they be stowed underneath? Then there are the strollers. This is all going to add to travel time.

I don't have little kids, but if I did, I know that I'd be concerned about being on the highway without child safety seats.

I guess we have to wait and see how this is going to work. :confused3
From what I am to understand, they will be using VanHool C2045 motor coaches, which have storage underneath, and small overhead bins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter