Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

Kids stay in Deluxes too! I know, i am still one, even though I pay for deluxe! :tigger:
My opinion, all hotels should have a lot of Disney theming. DVC, no, but hotels yes.
I don't mind some subtle Disney theming. Hidden MIckeys are fine. It's just the cartoon stuff they put in the rooms. For example OKW used to have maps of KW, shell pictures and soft artwork in the villas. Now it's MIckey and Minnie artwork. Nothing about that artwork says KW.

We stayed at the Poly once when we had a 3 day park/ 4 day cruise and some of the rooms are very far away from the main building. It's a hike to get to the monorail and sometimes your better off walking to the ticket and transportation center stop vs the main building. We also had to have our room changed because it smelled like stale smoke and there were glasses and wrappers in the hallway the whole time. I was very disappointed because I heard such great things about it. I like the theming but that is about it. If we couldn't stay at the Contemporary, we would pick the GF

I don't mind some subtle Disney theming. Hidden MIckeys are fine. It's just the cartoon stuff they put in the rooms. For example OKW used to have maps of KW, shell pictures and soft artwork in the villas. Now it's MIckey and Minnie artwork. Nothing about that artwork says KW.
I agree. The Incredibles are way beyond subtle. I don’t even see how it fits the theme at the CR. Not a huge fan of Moana but at least it fits the resort theme.

Anyone see any reviews of the new 50th anniversary price-fixe menu at CA Grill yet? It began yesterday, right?

Last edited:
It doesn't really feel Incredibles once you're in there. It feels bright. The carpet looks geometric. The floor is a bland tile. That's it. The curtain area is meh, you notice the view more than the curtains.

Any news on rooms in the main tower opening up for November? Or where i could find out? I know construction is ongoing but should be soon clued up I would think.

Any news on rooms in the main tower opening up for November? Or where i could find out? I know construction is ongoing but should be soon clued up I would think.
Not sure- but interested in when Garden wing construction will start. Soooo curious if that will be FINISHED by Feb, for our upcoming stay. Honestly kind of hoping it wont be so we can get bumped to atrium or other MK area. It was the most cost effective MK area when we booked.

I sent an email to WDW Guest Services (wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com) on Sept 29th expressing my thoughts on the Contemporary theming (repeated below). I asked that it be passed along to Josh D'Amaro, Jeff Vahle, and Kartika Rodriguiz.

I received an email today from a person in WDW "Executive Communications" requesting a convenient time for a phone call to discuss the topic.

I'll let everyone know if it turns into anything other than a polite "Thank you for your concerns" (which is all I expect).

<Email Saturday, Oct 9th)>

My wife and I are 30-year Contemporary resort fans and frequent stayers.

I doubt my voice matters much here, but I am writing to express our disappointment at the new Contemporary Resort "Incredibles" theming.

The colors and shapes are appealing, and no doubt the Contemporary could have used a refresh. But not this.

The Contemporary is downright sacred. It captured Walt’s forward-thinking vision with its ageless futuristic architecture and monorail-through-the-lobby design. It has (well, had) a quiet, understated elegance with its clean lines and dignified mass.

But you have for whatever reason decided to turn it into a jumbo version of a value resort with cartoon character theming. This is so disappointing. (“Upsetting” even comes to mind.)

Why couldn’t you have replicated in the rooms what you did so elegantly with the lobby refurbishment, using Mary Blair artwork and sleek monorail/Tomorrowland theming?

Why couldn’t you have “cartooned” a few of the rooms (or even half of them), as you do with pirate-themed and princess-themed rooms in moderate resorts, and left some/most for those of us who delight in the Contemporary itself?

Why do we ALL have to look at silly cartoon characters in every single room of what many of us enjoyed as an adult break from Disney IP?
There’s nothing wrong with the “Incredibles” franchise. We enjoy those films. But not at the expense of the design of our favorite resort.

We enjoy a Pop Century or Art of Animation stay as much as anyone. But for Disney to turn the flagship resort into a bigger, pricier, and more massive version of those animated character themed resorts is just wrong.

So unhappy with this…

(Signed)

Be interested to hear how the conversation goes. You stated exactly how I feel. The Contemporary itself is a Disney fixture, and could sustain its brand indefinitely. I not only like, but actually LOVE, The Incredibles. I completely think a few rooms at the Contemporary in that style would be fitting and fun for many families. Theming the entire room inventory that way feels a little too much. I mean, business is business, and it is obviously here to stay for a while. But I appreciate your effort to communicate responsible disappointment.

Okay, just got off a 20-minute phone conversation with a very pleasant cast member of 38 years.

I said again pretty much what I put in the email, and that I embrace change, but just not this change, LOL. She listened very well, very patiently, and very politely.

The outcome of the call was pretty much what I expected ("Thank you for contacting us." "We can tell you are passionate about Disney." "I can assure you that your comments have made it to the right people." "Thank you for your loyalty." etc.)

What surprised me was her referring to both topics about which I have sent emails recently, both the Contemporary and Harmonius. So someone tracks the comments by name or email address, and that impressed me.

She emphasized that emails have high impact ("I have seen changes made based on just one email.") If that is to be believed, then I would encourage everyone who feels strongly about a WDW topic to communicate your sentiments to them by email.

On a humorous note, she said she was glad to have spoken with me, and left the door open for closing comments from me. I requested that the Contemporary strip one room of Incredibles branding and save it for me. We both chuckled over that and she said something like "You might be surprised!"

When I checked out on October 4th, they were still working on rooms on the 5th and 6th floor on the Bay Lake side and 5th floor on the magic kingdom side.

When I checked out on October 4th, they were still working on rooms on the 5th and 6th floor on the Bay Lake side and 5th floor on the magic kingdom side.

Did it seem slow in the hotel? I see rooms for every other resort on property, seems odd this would be the only one with nothing.

Okay, just got off a 20-minute phone conversation with a very pleasant cast member of 38 years.

I said again pretty much what I put in the email, and that I embrace change, but just not this change, LOL. She listened very well, very patiently, and very politely.

The outcome of the call was pretty much what I expected ("Thank you for contacting us." "We can tell you are passionate about Disney." "I can assure you that your comments have made it to the right people." "Thank you for your loyalty." etc.)

What surprised me was her referring to both topics about which I have sent emails recently, both the Contemporary and Harmonius. So someone tracks the comments by name or email address, and that impressed me.

She emphasized that emails have high impact ("I have seen changes made based on just one email.") If that is to be believed, then I would encourage everyone who feels strongly about a WDW topic to communicate your sentiments to them by email.

On a humorous note, she said she was glad to have spoken with me, and left the door open for closing comments from me. I requested that the Contemporary strip one room of Incredibles branding and save it for me. We both chuckled over that and she said something like "You might be surprised!"
Thank you for taking the time to do this and sharing the information with us. It gave me the idea to write about the trail between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. I hope it can work for that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter