Disneyland will sell alcohol for the first time when Star Wars land opens in 2019

I don't like this at all. Walt had a good reason not to sell alcohol and Club 33 was built to cater to business clientele, not the general public.

I can't understand why one place can't be alcohol-free. And yes, I do drink on occasion, just don't see the need to change DL's policy when it's easily available close by.

What's the "good reason" not to sell alcohol?

If Disney decided to sell 50 cent drinks I'd be concerned about this. However at $10 to $20 a pop, I can't imagine there will be much of an impact on the current atmosphere.

What I meant to say was Walt believed it was for a good reason. Without it, the park would be more family-friendly with less of a carnival atmosphere which was what he was trying to get away when creating DL.

OK, well we've already seen that introducing alcohol into the other parks has not turned them into "carnivals" – except the literal carnival in AK :duck:.

The experiment worked. In my mind, there's no need to hang on to a 60-year-old premise when it's effectively been debunked. And I really think this idea that people's opinions should be crystalized in amber forever does a disservice to the constant education we all receive throughout life.

Wake me up when they put beer can vending machines in ride lines, then maybe I'll change my mind. This "what Walt wanted" stuff is exhausting.

What I meant to say was Walt believed it was for a good reason. Without it, the park would be more family-friendly with less of a carnival atmosphere which was what he was trying to get away when creating DL.

I see it as Walt was against it because he wanted something different than typical carnivals of the day - I think theme parks have evolved in those 60 years and you can have alcohol at dinner and not have it become a bunch of hooligans and stuff ... I think things have worked quite well in MK after the policy change

No one knows what Walt would think - but I do think he would have evolved over the past 60 years and the Walt of 2018 would be different than the one in 1955

Sell away. If they move enough Booze they may raise ticket prices at a slower pace. It will actually be cool to have a real drink in a Star Wars themed Cantina.

Honestly this is a non issue. Most hardcore drinkers are not going to make it a day at Disneyland to pay for overpriced drinks. It is not a cost effective proposition.

And yet, there was an adults only alcohol cruise (3X/night) around Bay Lake right after WDW opened.

They are not pushing alcohol
when the venues include alcohol in the all inclusive pricing, they certainly are "pushing alcohol". If I want the package, I want to get my money's worth. Those same venues offer 1/10 the number of non-alcoholic drinks. Look at the Trader Sams menu for reference.

I get it. It's high profit. Disappointing that adults think they have to drink to have a good time at the happiest place on earth.

when the venues include alcohol in the all inclusive pricing, they certainly are "pushing alcohol". If I want the package, I want to get my money's worth. Those same venues offer 1/10 the number of non-alcoholic drinks. Look at the Trader Sams menu for reference.

I get it. It's high profit. Disappointing that adults think they have to drink to have a good time at the happiest place on earth.

Personally I don't think I "have to drink alcohol" ... but I am glad that I "can choose to drink alcohol if I want to". We just got back from WDW and yes, it is true, I had an alcoholic beverage as some meals - including at Liberty Try Tavern in the Magic Kingdom. It was nice, while taking a break from the heat, to enjoy a shandy. Was it necessary for me to have a good day that day? Of course not ... did I enjoy it? you bet

Also, you can (like we do) to not buy the package that includes alcoholic beverages

Disneyland doesn't have the dining plans that include alcohol.

And, Trader Sams is a BAR! What the heck do you expect???

This discussion is not about pot lets stick to alcohol being served at Disneyland please.

So either we are on board with Walt's original plan or not. If not, please tear down COP as it is beyond dated and in shambles. Same for Tomorrowland Speedway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!