Disneyland to introduce MaxPass (New Fastpass & New Fastpass Attractions) - Now with Poll

Is MaxPass a good idea?

• Good Idea

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 112 62.9%
  • Other (tell us what your other opinion is)

Votes: 23 12.9%

• Total voters
Keep in mind the $10/day was described in the initial announcement as an "introductory price".

I sort of see this as going back to the way things were done when I was a small child. You paid admission and then bought the tickets for the rides that you wanted to go on. I remember when they introduced the "passports" where you'd pay one large price for unlimited rides. They still did the old ticket system for a while giving people a choice between the two and eventually switched over to only having the unlimited attraction admission. I can easily see fast passes eventually becoming a paid only thing. It would take several years to transition most likely, but I can totally see it happening.

I sort of see this as going back to the way things were done when I was a small child. You paid admission and then bought the tickets for the rides that you wanted to go on. I remember when they introduced the "passports" where you'd pay one large price for unlimited rides. They still did the old ticket system for a while giving people a choice between the two and eventually switched over to only having the unlimited attraction admission. I can easily see fast passes eventually becoming a paid only thing. It would take several years to transition most likely, but I can totally see it happening.

Except that the version when you were a kid didn't have "all access" pricing as its base.

As an annual pass holder it can get pricy, but tbh...I was expecting them to charge eventually. Raging Waters, Magic Mountain, Knotts...they ALL charge for any fast pass so I was expecting this sooner or later. I'm just glad they are going to offer a free alternative...I'll see how that goes before buying from a phone app out of convinience...

Once again many people aren't considering the PhotoPass portion of the value here. I realize it doesn't fit every plan, but my wife and I are doing a no kids trip in May, for four days -- that's $80 for MaxPass. We were planning on getting PhotoPass+ anyways... so why wouldn't we do MaxPass?

Once again many people aren't considering the PhotoPass portion of the value here. I realize it doesn't fit every plan, but my wife and I are doing a no kids trip in May, for four days -- that's $80 for MaxPass. We were planning on getting PhotoPass+ anyways... so why wouldn't we do MaxPass?

That math may work for 2, but for 4 over 5 days, the $80 value gets a little lost in the $200 total.

I think part of it is that a lot of people with APs either already get PhotoPass included or go often enough that they don't see a need to buy PhotoPass. It's inclusion in the MaxPass just doesn't matter to most, I think. I know that's how I feel.

Do you have to get Max pass every day of your ticket? We will be going for five days however the first day with late entry I'd be less inclined to pay extra.

I'm super dreading this. I've always appreciated that DL didn't nickel and dime you like other parks. Charge one up front fee and let everyone have the same access to FP. I've always hated the idea of paying to cut in front of people (free FP are fair game!). It always made DL feel like a more quality park.
I never expected them to charge for it at DL, since it's free at WDW. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We'll see how it goes, but I'll probably be fine w/ letting our APs expire for a while

Do you have to get Max pass every day of your ticket? We will be going for five days however the first day with late entry I'd be less inclined to pay extra.

I don't know that we have all the details yet, but it sounds like you can pick a single day (or 2, 3, etc).
I don't plan on trying it...we stay on site and get a lot done during EMH, so we'll see how it goes. As AP holders, we really don't feel compelled to spend super long days in the park, so I'm not sure we'd be able to maximize the value. Plus, we are a family of 6, so an extra $60/day.

I'm super dreading this. I've always appreciated that DL didn't nickel and dime you like other parks. Charge one up front fee and let everyone have the same access to FP. I've always hated the idea of paying to cut in front of people (free FP are fair game!). It always made DL feel like a more quality park.
I never expected them to charge for it at DL, since it's free at WDW. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We'll see how it goes, but I'll probably be fine w/ letting our APs expire for a while
I have not been following MaxPass super close, but it is not my understanding that MaxPass is a special front of line pass. It sounds like, aside from the photos, it is a way for people to book FPs using their smartphones. On the day they are there and not in advance. Since those not using MaxPass can get the old paper FPs, it is not clear to me that MaxPass is much of an advantage other than making it so you do not have to walk around to get FPs.

:wizard:

I have not been following MaxPass super close, but it is not my understanding that MaxPass is a special front of line pass. It sounds like, aside from the photos, it is a way for people to book FPs using their smartphones. On the day they are there and not in advance. Since those not using MaxPass can get the old paper FPs, it is not clear to me that MaxPass is much of an advantage other than making it so you do not have to walk around to get FPs.

Yeah, I get that... still, I just don't like where they are headed with it.

That will make sense for some, but to me it's odd to bundle them together in the first place since they're such different perks. We never use photopass, so there's no added value in that for me, and I think there are a lot of people who feel similarly. Plus, the higher level AP's already have photopass built into the price, so they would be paying for it twice. It would be great if the FP features were available at a lower price without photopass.

What about those people who aren't interested in PhotoPass? I resent being forced to pay for something I don't want (PhotoPass) in order to use the app for FastPasses. Especially when I can get digital FastPasses for free at WDW. The two services aren't even related - PhotoPass has absolutely nothing to do with FastPass.

There are a lot of blanket statements about this just not being worth it and nickel and diming. My statement was simply to point out that there's a part of the equation that most are forgetting. Obviously it's not going to be a factor for everyone, but it is there.

What about those people who aren't interested in PhotoPass? I resent being forced to pay for something I don't want (PhotoPass) in order to use the app for FastPasses. Especially when I can get digital FastPasses for free at WDW. The two services aren't even related - PhotoPass has absolutely nothing to do with FastPass.
You are not "forced" to pay for anything. You can choose to buy MaxPass or not. You can choose to go to Disneyland or not. No one is forcing anything here.

You are not "forced" to pay for anything. You can choose to buy MaxPass or not. You can choose to go to Disneyland or not. No one is forcing anything here.
You missed part of my statement - note I said being forced to pay for PhotoPass in order to use the app for FastPass.

You missed part of my statement - note I said being forced to pay for PhotoPass in order to use the app for FastPass.
You know what? You are right. I either missed it or that part of the statement did not register with me. I apologize. I should have been more careful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter