Disneyland show?

I have kids and plan to do lots of what they talked about. There’s very little they mentioned that you couldn’t bring a kid to - plus, you’re at Disneyland for gods sake, there’s no shortage of stuff to do with kids. I’m glad they speak to lots of different experiences.

Fair enough, but they went on and on about the bars. I don't think I'll be bringing my kids to Bottle Logic, Anaheim Brewery, the Bruery, Unsung Brewing, or Beerbar Grooming any time soon. And I totally appreciate how much people like Karl Strauss, too. But honestly a bunch of the suggestions all circled around booze. If you're not THAT into beer or if you're an alcoholic, then this particular episode/podcast was pretty lacking. I doubt that a family with younger kids (i.e., not teenagers) will be taking their family to a concert at House of Blues, for example, but you could definitely eat a meal there. Michael Bowling used to talk about the gospel brunches that House of Blues does...nobody talked about that on the podcast. Those gospel brunches are on Sundays and kids could definitely go to something like that. After about 10 minutes of going on and on about beer, I thought, "OMG enough about the alcohol. There's more to do in Anaheim than just drink!"

Nobody mentioned the Discovery Cube science museum, which is really close to Disneyland, for example. That's something fun yet away from the parks. Or taking Amtrak down to San Juan Capistrano and going to the mission. Or that cool aquarium in Long Beach, which isn't that far away. Or if somebody's into outlet shopping and they're traveling to So Cal from far away, there's an outlet mall not too far of a drive from Disneyland.

Nobody mentioned the Discovery Cube science museum, which is really close to Disneyland, for example. That's something fun yet away from the parks. Or taking Amtrak down to San Juan Capistrano and going to the mission. Or that cool aquarium in Long Beach, which isn't that far away. Or if somebody's into outlet shopping and they're traveling to So Cal from far away, there's an outlet mall not too far of a drive from Disneyland.

These are some really great suggestions. But I think the segment was more on what you can do for a few hours away from the Disneyland Resort. A lot of these items would be great Day 6 items, but wasn't quite the focus of the segment.

I do not know the Anaheim area, so I do not know what else is close by that would be good for a family to do for a few hours. Hopefully the DIS team is seeing this feedback and can maybe try to find additional options for families to do for a few hours away from the parks that does not include drinking or alcohol.

I noticed that the Anaheim Maingate Residence Inn by Marriott went independent and changed their name over a month ago to Clementine Hotel and Suites. This really drove home to me how much I miss the old show, they were always eagle eye sharp talking about changes to GNHs, renovation schedules, there is definitely a musical chair dance with Anaheim hotels you have to be aware of if you are going to book offsite.

I am wondering if it remains a Good Neighbor hotel? It says so on their website, but having officially changed their name weeks ago (and likely having a plan to go independent for sometime) the Disneyland website still lists the old name (and a current promo under that name people are still booking, Way to go Disney IT!) I am kinda guessing Disneyland is in a review process.

I know I have suggested before they talk more about the GNHs. I mean, just a month ago Pete stayed at the Grand Legacy and ranted calling it one of the worst hotel ever. The Grand Legacy is a partially remodeled Ramada. It gets some love on the boards, but it definitely didn't strike me as a good fit for Pete at all.

I think it's a really important part of planning a DL vacation.

I noticed that the Anaheim Maingate Residence Inn by Marriott went independent and changed their name over a month ago to Clementine Hotel and Suites. This really drove home to me how much I miss the old show, they were always eagle eye sharp talking about changes to GNHs, renovation schedules, there is definitely a musical chair dance with Anaheim hotels you have to be aware of if you are going to book offsite.

I am wondering if it remains a Good Neighbor hotel? It says so on their website, but having officially changed their name weeks ago (and likely having a plan to go independent for sometime) the Disneyland website still lists the old name (and a current promo under that name people are still booking, Way to go Disney IT!) I am kinda guessing Disneyland is in a review process.

I know I have suggested before they talk more about the GNHs. I mean, just a month ago Pete stayed at the Grand Legacy and ranted calling it one of the worst hotel ever. The Grand Legacy is a partially remodeled Ramada. It gets some love on the boards, but it definitely didn't strike me as a good fit for Pete at all.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Their website still shows them as a GNH, but just because they say they are.....

I'll touch base with one of the Dreams agents tomorrow to see if they know any more.

In terms of the Grand Legacy, I have heard nothing but relatively good things - e.g, it's not fancy, but it's fine, and the location is great. I always take Pete's opinion on anything with not just a grain of salt, but about a tablespoon of it....

Did Pete review the Grand Legacy? Is so, don’t think I heard that episode. Does anyone remember when it aired? I’ve considered staying there, and I’d like to hear Pete’s take on it.

Did Pete review the Grand Legacy? Is so, don’t think I heard that episode. Does anyone remember when it aired? I’ve considered staying there, and I’d like to hear Pete’s take on it.
I believe he tweeted or posted on Facebook about it. I don't think he's talked about it on the show yet (unless something comes out today).

In terms of the Grand Legacy, I have heard nothing but relatively good things - e.g, it's not fancy, but it's fine, and the location is great. I always take Pete's opinion on anything with not just a grain of salt, but about a tablespoon of it....

I can't imagine Pete staying in any of those hotels on Harbor without a novel's worth of complaints! I have some minimum requirements like a decent bed and no bugs, but as far as I am concerned if I am spending enough time in the hotel to complain I haven't been to the parks enough!

A show where they force Pete to actually experience Disneyland like a regular person would be very entertaining.

He said he paid $300 which is high IMO for Harbor, there are plenty of better options. It might have had to do with going during UEA and lower availability. I remember he was marveling how booked dining was for that weekend and how he could get nothing. I was yelling at my radio, “Don’t do it Pete! No Pete, no!”
I think your expectations are different when you pay $150 vs $300 a night and that’s understandable.
I wouldn’t pay $300 a night for a Harbor motel. I’d look around and if that was the yielded rates, I’d reschedule my trip frankly.

Has anyone seen any new shows for Disneyland this year yet? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place anymore. :surfweb:

There has not been any shows posted that I have seen. In last Friday's (January 18th) Connecting with Walt podcast, I believe Craig mentioned that it would be another week or so before the show returns. My guess is that it has been a scheduling issue in trying to get things started again in 2019.

There has not been any shows posted that I have seen. In last Friday's (January 18th) Connecting with Walt podcast, I believe Craig mentioned that it would be another week or so before the show returns. My guess is that it has been a scheduling issue in trying to get things started again in 2019.

Plus with the Mickey 90th celebrations at both parks and the Festival of the Arts starting there has been a lot to cover

Yay! Thanks for posting, Mary Jo! I'm eager to listen in preparation for my trip in 42 days! Not that I haven't already read everything there is to know at this point... but still! It adds to the anticipation! :rotfl2:

Have a great trip! Only advice I have is to allow more time than you think you might need for each thing so that you can enjoy the moment and not feeled rushed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!