Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

From LAist:
Newsom said that state officials will be visiting with theme park representatives this week as they continue to work on those guidelines. The state is also sending out teams to places like Disney World to examine how they are working to safely reopen.

"We'll be visiting with some of the larger theme parks, continuing those conversations back and forth," Newsom said. "We continue in good faith to try to work to get where I know everybody wants to go, and that's to get people back to work, and also create more entertainment options. But we need to do so in a safe way, and we need to do so with a health-first frame, and we are going to continue that hard work. And a lot of that work will be advanced even further later this week, with some insight visits and some deeper collabration, even beyond some of the larger theme parks. But many of the smaller theme parks that want to maintain some distinction from those larger, well-known brands here in the state."

The state will be drawing distinctions between different types of theme parks, according to Newsom.
https://laist.com/latest/post/20201012/gov-newsom-coronavirus-california-updates-covid-19

This is great, but DUDE....! THEY COULD HAVE DONE THAT 2 MONTHS AGO!

in that article, when they are talking about changes to queues, they mention that in the haunted mansion, you won’t get the stretching room experience, you’ll just walk right through. I don’t understand how that will work. In WDW, it’s just for show, but at Disneyland, that’s a real working elevator that takes you down to the ride loading area. I know this, because we used to take my grandma in a wheelchair, and we always had to ride the elevator back up at the end of the ride.
I can't find the photo, but I believe DLP has the same elevator setup and there were taped socially distanced spots.

Just my two cents, I interpreted the article as the pre-show wouldn't play, so maybe the elevator will operate as just an elevator. With less people per elevator, I'm assuming they'd want to operate it faster without the show. I'll definitely miss it without the pre-show, but I'll take it if it means the ride will be open.

I can't find the photo, but I believe DLP has the same elevator setup and there were taped socially distanced spots.

Just my two cents, I interpreted the article as the pre-show wouldn't play, so maybe the elevator will operate as just an elevator. With less people per elevator, I'm assuming they'd want to operate it faster without the show. I'll definitely miss it without the pre-show, but I'll take it if it means the ride will be open.
And the elevator can operate at normal speeds. I've ridden it once going back up since there was a wheelchair user in our group and it was fast.

And the elevator can operate at normal speeds. I've ridden it once going back up since there was a wheelchair user in our group and it was fast.
I have to look at if I took a picture on my previous visit, but yes it does have allocated spots in Paris. There are 9 spots, so 9 families at a time per elevator, less if they are big families. This is what slows down the ride in paris. 30 minutes is now our new normal.

I have to look at if I took a picture on my previous visit, but yes it does have allocated spots in Paris. There are 9 spots, so 9 families at a time per elevator, less if they are big families. This is what slows down the ride in paris. 30 minutes is now our new normal.
Wow, good to know. I'm glad the elevator can work like normal to help get people through faster. 9 families is significantly less when it's busy, though. It'll be interesting to see with reduced capacity if we can manage 30 minute waits or if it'll be longer. I'll definitely miss the early morning and late night rides with no wait. Those days may not be returning for awhile.

Wow, good to know. I'm glad the elevator can work like normal to help get people through faster. 9 families is significantly less when it's busy, though. It'll be interesting to see with reduced capacity if we can manage 30 minute waits or if it'll be longer. I'll definitely miss the early morning and late night rides with no wait. Those days may not be returning for awhile.
I think capacity is now 50% less for this ride in Paris. I didnt pay attention to early morning/late njght wait times, but during the day 25-35 minutes seemed the norm.

This weekend we did Big Thunder Mountain in Paris and when the line is about 35-40 minutes long, the line stretches out beyond the entrance, due to social distancing. This scares off people, but it actually went by quite quickly. And 40 minutes for Big Thunder Mountain is not bad at all :)
Pirates has something similar at 30-40 minutes wait. It seems worse than it is, cause every boat lets you move not just a few steps, but you cover more distance. If that makes sense.

Trying to think of other rides... Tower of Terror we just walk through the library.

They are now testing a form of line reservations in Paris, but we didnt try it. So cant share personal experiences of this. But what I saw on Facebook is that people waited around the entrance till they could walk on, so there was still a crowd... ;)

If we can look for a silver lining for DL not being open now, you will probably have a shorter period of measures than other parks and it will run smoother as DL has been able to learn from other parks.

Last edited:
I don't really venture over to the other forums, so your recap totally gave me all the feels :goodvibes I miss posts about normal wait times for rides and park planning.

This scares off people, but it actually went by quite quickly.
I am looking forward to this, as bad as that might sound. Those wait times aren't bad at all and it'll be nice to have some personal space in lines now with social distancing.

If we can look for a silver lining for DL not being open now, you will probably have a shorter period of measures than other parks and it will run smoother as DL has been able to learn from other parks.
Yes, this will be the biggest benefit to DL being closed so long. The CMs will still have a learning curve, but at least the rules hopefully won't be changing so often that it's hard to keep up. I am really glad we bypassed a lot of the trial and error of reopening, so hopefully it won't take as long to reopen if most of the changes have been implemented in the parks already.

Thanks for sharing your park experiences! It's very reassuring that it's working out well so far.

I don't really venture over to the other forums, so your recap totally gave me all the feels :goodvibes I miss posts about normal wait times for rides and park planning.

I am looking forward to this, as bad as that might sound. Those wait times aren't bad at all and it'll be nice to have some personal space in lines now with social distancing.

Yes, this will be the biggest benefit to DL being closed so long. The CMs will still have a learning curve, but at least the rules hopefully won't be changing so often that it's hard to keep up. I am really glad we bypassed a lot of the trial and error of reopening, so hopefully it won't take as long to reopen if most of the changes have been implemented in the parks already.

Thanks for sharing your park experiences! It's very reassuring that it's working out well so far.
You're welcome! I have been now 3 times to DLP since reopening. Recaps of my first two experiences are in the reopening thread on the DLP board. But I think for my visit of this weekend I might do a regular trip report. Not really new measures to report :)

I think the hardest for locals and fans of characters will be timing. To see / do all they have organized as special events for Halloween is a challenge, especially with unannounced pop ups. There are 2 shows/distractions now at DLP, both maybe 2 minutes long. Maleficent on the castle cursing all guests and Ursula singing Poor Unfortunate Souls. They do it several times a day, but CMs are not allowed to tell when. They do give out some clues to spot that something might happen soon. Like Ursula is on a stage that is normally guarded off by a chained fence, to make sure people do not climb the stage. When these chains are removed by crew, you know they are preparing for the next show, but then you are not 100% sure if it will be in 10 minutes or 30 minutes.

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/10/disneyland-reopening-rally-rwb1/
Did you see this from Inside the Magic? Rally on Harbor on Saturday about reopening Disneyland. Personally, I think this is a bad idea and will just reaffirm to Governor Newsom that the people will not listen and will create a large crowd. Oh and it is not that Disneyland does not want to open - it is the Governor, so they should go to Sacramento and rally.

Don't know why... but I feel like this is a lot of change in movement in a very short time period. Imagine if they would have done this a month ago.... we might not be sitting here still waiting for info. I just feel like decisions are finally being made, or this is all a rouse.
I’m not getting excited until they announce something lol

I don't know why but this reads like a super hero movie. A team gets sent out on a mission to save the world. Or, in this instance Land. We are all counting on you team!
Or some kind of super hero espionage movie -- since the blog mickey article makes it sound like the team already completed their secret mission. Cue the Mission Impossible theme music... Let's just hope this movie has a happy ending!

So if they already sent a team that would make sense. See what they are doing before an announcement is made and they have a chance to improve the parks. That's something I would totally do.

But, I hope they also take the time to talk to parks officials and cast members about the openings, instead of only going off visuals.

We have a trip for the week of thanksgiving, I don't think we have a shot at this point, but if we can reschedule for Christmas I think the chances are far better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter