Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Those were a lot of words that resulted in not really saying anything. I wish they would just be more clear and concise and say something like "When the state overall reaches color X, then theme parks can reopen under this newly published set of operating guidelines, they can reopen at __% capacity" or "When the county that the theme park is in reaches color X and does A, B, and C, then they can reopen at __% capacity." All of the double talk is confusing.
I don't think they can give a statement like that, because they don't know. To be fair, we were hours away from an announcement just like that last week, but no one liked how the blanks were filled in. So it's not just that people want a clear answer; it's that they want a clear answer that they personally approve of. And Newsom doesn't have one of those yet.

The most honest answer would be, "We don't know when theme parks can reopen, or what the requirements will be when it happens. We are workng on it, but we do not have an estimated date for when we will know."

I'm really at a crossroads with this first week of November trip! United just drastically changed our flight to SNA which means we can change to San Diego or LAX (b/c we want direct) and I don't know what to do! I'm still holding hope that DLR will open for 11/5 and if that's the case we will keep the flights to SNA (am I totally kidding myself?). If not, I want to start planning San Diego. IDK anymore!

So, I hate to be the wet blanket in the room (and I'm grouchy today so fair warning), but I don't see the State as having any motivation to negotiate with Disney or release guidelines any time soon. It's obvious that the State does not want Disneyland or any other theme parks to open. It's reasonable to believe that they only very begrudgingly decided to release the Guidelines That Shall Not Be Named last week, and even those wouldn't have allowed most people, including most Californians, to visit. The State then pulled the plug on the guidelines not because the State wanted to offer something different, but because Disney lost the game of chicken and asked them to. So now, the situation is that the parks are closed with no estimated date or criteria for reopening, which is exactly how the State likes it.

Disney might be chomping at the bit to get back in the negotiating room and make something happen, but their public pressure campaign backfired in a big way, and Newsom obviously wasn't moved by the layoff announcements or appeals from Anaheim. At the moment, Newsom holds all the cards and I just don't see him rushing to put out guidelines before the end of this year without some sort of miracle in the covid treatment/cure department.

I'm really at a crossroads with this first week of November trip! United just drastically changed our flight to SNA which means we can change to San Diego or LAX (b/c we want direct) and I don't know what to do! I'm still holding hope that DLR will open for 11/5 and if that's the case we will keep the flights to SNA (am I totally kidding myself?). If not, I want to start planning San Diego. IDK anymore!
Personally, I'd start planning San Diego. DL opening in a month seems hopelessly optimistic, even if they got the green light tomorrow. How long do you have to change your flight?

Personally, I'd start planning San Diego. DL opening in a month seems hopelessly optimistic, even if they got the green light tomorrow. How long do you have to change your flight?
That's a good question - not totally sure. Should have up to the day to change. I'll keep watching seat availability - but there are four of us. The one good thing with travel right now is the general flexibility and last minute changes that are now allowed. But I should do my research. Also time to look at WDW for December break. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: EmJ
We are in the same boat. We would go the week of Thanksgiving. I'll give it a little while longer. If it doesn't look good, I'll have to cancel and reschedule for next June whenever the calendar opens for next year. (If they weren't open by then that would be crazy.) I hope you are able to take the trip you want.

So, I hate to be the wet blanket in the room (and I'm grouchy today so fair warning), but I don't see the State as having any motivation to negotiate with Disney or release guidelines any time soon. It's obvious that the State does not want Disneyland or any other theme parks to open. It's reasonable to believe that they only very begrudgingly decided to release the Guidelines That Shall Not Be Named last week, and even those wouldn't have allowed most people, including most Californians, to visit. The State then pulled the plug on the guidelines not because the State wanted to offer something different, but because Disney lost the game of chicken and asked them to. So now, the situation is that the parks are closed with no estimated date or criteria for reopening, which is exactly how the State likes it.

Disney might be chomping at the bit to get back in the negotiating room and make something happen, but their public pressure campaign backfired in a big way, and Newsom obviously wasn't moved by the layoff announcements or appeals from Anaheim. At the moment, Newsom holds all the cards and I just don't see him rushing to put out guidelines before the end of this year without some sort of miracle in the covid treatment/cure department.

I agree with you. The media blitz got some results, but when the theme parks saw the proposed guidelines they immediately begged those not to be released. I still feel like the Governor gave into the pressure and said I will give guidelines, but I doubt you will like them. He really does hold the cards now. I would not expect an update on theme park guidelines. I know I am in the minority that does not think parks will be opening for quite a while yet, but I still see it that way. My November dates are now looking problematic too and I am just trying to use my VGC reservation and last of my banked 2018 DVC points that expire 11/30. And WDW is not currently an option for me.

So if we got anything released secretly, or if Ghaly talks tomorrow about it, means that parks and the state had conversations over the weekend. I just don't feel like that's something that would have actually happened....

I agree, I don't think the parks will open any time soon. Also I live in Northern California, so I am wondering if I should just cancel by February trip since it sounds like it is unlikely we will be allowed to go. Which is frustrating because 1. I own at VGC and 2. we don't have any decent theme parks here.

I'm on the phone with customer service right now seeing about a refund on my tickets. Whatever is going on tonight is not good, and it's become super obvious we are not going to DL before our tickets' expiration date of January 12, 2021... or at all in 2021.... Will update if they approve the refund.

ETA: Refund approved. Took about 5 minutes. It's bittersweet.
For anyone holding multi-day tickets with a January expiration, I got my refund on our five-day tickets today. So, it was about five minutes to get the refund approved (I called in the late evening), and four days to process. They did remind me that expired tickets hold their value and can be brought to the gate to credit toward new tickets; however, when I explained that I live out of state and that wouldn’t work for me on a reservation system where reservations cannot be made on expired tickets, they didn’t push the issue further. Whenever DL opens again, we will just buy new tickets.

Last edited:

I think part of the issue is that the state hasn't been working with theme parks at all, when they said they have. There was one update with Dr. Ghaly that said there have been "earnest" conversations, when there clearly hasn't.

I think part of the issue is that the state hasn't been working with theme parks at all, when they said they have. There was one update with Dr. Ghaly that said there have been "earnest" conversations, when there clearly hasn't.
I agree that's pretty deceptive and dishonest of them, but I think it just reinforces that the state isn't even interested enough in opening to talk to the parks about how it might be done.

Question. I wonder what would happen if they just reopened like the Tesla plant did? I suppose they could get in some trouble. Does anyone know if anything happened with Tesla or did they just keep open?

Question. I wonder what would happen if they just reopened like the Tesla plant did? I suppose they could get in some trouble. Does anyone know if anything happened with Tesla or did they just keep open?
I suppose they could...however they could risk their licenses to operate. But then again, Tesla is fine and I don't think Elon Musk got arrested...hmmm

Last edited:

Tesla opened and the city of Fremont I believe threatened them and maybe Newsom and the said they would move everything out of California and California folded quickly. There is the Tesla plant in Fremont but there is also many other Tesla buildings throughout the Bay Area that many folks don't even know about. It would have hit the Bay Area badly if they left.

I supposed the could...however they could risk their licenses to operate. But then again, Tesla is fine and I don't think Elon Musk got arrested...hmmm
I thought that was the way it went. I wonder if Disney, Universal etc. would be daring enough to do that? I suppose they would try the legal thing first maybe?

Tesla opened and the city of Fremont I believe threatened them and maybe Newsom and the said they would move everything out of California and California folded quickly. There is the Tesla plant in Fremont but there is also many other Tesla buildings throughout the Bay Area that many folks don't even know about. It would have hit the Bay Area badly if they left.
Good point. And, think about how badly things are going in Anaheim. It's awful to think about what Harbour looks like right now. Obviously Disneyland can't pack up and move but them not reopening is hitting Anaheim as if they actually have left.

Good point. And, think about how badly things are going in Anaheim. It's awful to think about what Harbour looks like right now. Obviously Disneyland can't pack up and move but them not reopening is hitting Anaheim as if they actually have left.

Yes and many of the hotels will not be able to recover. They only silver lining for someone that has a lot of money is that when Disney does re open and things get back to normal there could be some empty property for someone to take advantage of unless Disney buys it up first.

Yes and many of the hotels will not be able to recover. They only silver lining for someone that has a lot of money is that when Disney does re open and things get back to normal there could be some empty property for someone to take advantage of unless Disney buys it up first.
It's sad all the way around isn't it? It's like the "powers that be" aren't AT ALL looking at the whole picture. Like they don't even get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter