Disneyland Newbie

First line of first post, bolding mine "OK- we’ve never been to land before- world several times, tons of questions. "

But yes, I can see why you'd recommend it if they were a newbie to both parks.
Yep there it is. I guess with a quick read my brain did not translate "world" as WDW. :cool:

I am therefore in agreement. Soarin should not be a high priority.

:wizard:

... Also, I am freaking out not having the Disney Dining Plan. Budgeting for meals is so hard. Do they have the cups with unlimited beverages?

Budgeting for meals at DLR is much easier than you think. We did have a Dining Plan, which did not work well, so it is not missed at all. The better way is to put all your dining money on Disney gift cards. Then use those gift cards for your meals, snacks, etc. For non-Disney dining, you can budget on Starbucks gift cards, Ghirardelli gift cards, Patina gift cards (Naples, Catal, UVA Bar, Tortilla Jo's -- these are DTD restaurants owned by the Patina Group), etc. Then you can know exactly how much money you are spending on meals and how much is left on your gift cards. Need more money? Reload your cards. Disney gift cards can be registered to protect them in case they get lost or stolen. I assume other gift cards can be registered, too. (I know Starbucks cards can be registered on the Starbucks website.)
And, as other posters have said, DLR does not have the refillable cups like WDW.

The more days you can do the better, especially if you are going in the summer after Star Wars opens. Even without Star Wars, we can easily spend 5 days there. Three days should be enough to do almost everything, especially if you get MaxPass. I would also suggest Park Hoppers.

Staying on-site at DLR is less advantageous compared to WDW, but still a nice experience, especially at the Grand since it has an entrance right into one of the parks. Having the extra magic hours is also nice. Depending on the cost difference though, it may not be worth it. There are lots of motels within a few minutes walking distance to the park, and if you spend the whole day in the park, it's really only a place to shower and sleep.

Have a great time. As much as I love WDW, there are lots of things about DLR that make it superior in some ways.

Like the others have said there are no unlimited beverages cups... but you can get a cup of cold water for free at counter service restaurants!

Budgeting for meals at DLR is much easier than you think. We did have a Dining Plan, which did not work well, so it is not missed at all. The better way is to put all your dining money on Disney gift cards. Then use those gift cards for your meals, snacks, etc. For non-Disney dining, you can budget on Starbucks gift cards, Ghirardelli gift cards, Patina gift cards (Naples, Catal, UVA Bar, Tortilla Jo's -- these are DTD restaurants owned by the Patina Group), etc. Then you can know exactly how much money you are spending on meals and how much is left on your gift cards. Need more money? Reload your cards. Disney gift cards can be registered to protect them in case they get lost or stolen. I assume other gift cards can be registered, too. (I know Starbucks cards can be registered on the Starbucks website.)
And, as other posters have said, DLR does not have the refillable cups like WDW.
This used to be my strategy, but gift cards can't be used with mobile ordering:(

This used to be my strategy, but gift cards can't be used with mobile ordering:(
But they do work just fine with TS! And, just as not all guests have to use MP, not all guests have to use Mobile Ordering. They can, and lots will. But not all. One of the great things about DLR is all the options available to guests!

Make sure you get Max Pass
Max Pass for everyone in the party or just for one person? I'm lacking DLR experience also. Came here after reading about advice to have just one person in the party get Max Pass for the sake of Photopass... Thoughts?

Max Pass for everyone in the party or just for one person? I'm lacking DLR experience also. Came here after reading about advice to have just one person in the party get Max Pass for the sake of Photopass... Thoughts?

For everybody. The primary purpose of it is to get as many fast passes as you can. If you want to do a lot of rides, it’s the best way to do that. It makes it so you can get them on the Disneyland app instead of having to go to the individual ride kiosks. You’ll get more rides in and with less hassle. It’s not necessary, but it made our last trip way better. So I’d least strongly recommend getting it for at least 1 day of your visit.

If all you care about are the photos, than you’d only need 1 for Photopass.

And I am not an expert on DLR, much more of a WDW person.

You may have already made your plans by this point, but I'll throw in my advice to stay at an off-site hotel. There are hotels literally across the street, some that are even a closer walking distance than the Disneyland hotel, that cater to Disneyland guests. There are some nice options, some with free parking, some with free breakfast, etc. And they are WAY cheaper, like hundreds of dollars a night cheaper, than the on-site hotels.

Remember that MP is more than FP. It is also photos. For some folks the photos are worth it alone. Depends on how many days and how many people....

For completeness, with one person in the group and MP, you can get the photos. Still...

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter