Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

So one thing holding me back is that the logistics in Florida are so simple to me. Stay on property, take the bus everywhere, easy peasy.

But I haven't been to the Land in 20 years and have no idea where to stay or how to get around or any of that. It just seems overwhelming.
I get that! I went back in 2021 for the first time in probably 15 years. We stayed at DLH because it was my husbands first time to DL. There’s a lot of hotels on the other side that are just as close to the gates, a lot cheaper, and much better configurations for families. But I get the hesitation. I pull up google maps and check walking directions for all the hotels 😂 From the airport Long Beach or SNA it’s a very quick and easy Uber/lyft ride. You won’t need a car if you’re only doing Disney.

So one thing holding me back is that the logistics in Florida are so simple to me. Stay on property, take the bus everywhere, easy peasy.

But I haven't been to the Land in 20 years and have no idea where to stay or how to get around or any of that. It just seems overwhelming.
I went to DL for the first time ever on a spur of the moment trip in Sept 2021 (I was scheduled to go to Universal Orlando, but that was during the Delta variant surge and my grandma didn’t want me going to Florida, but California felt safer)

I just looked at the DL website, picked a good neighbor hotel that was a reasonable walking distance (you can sort/filter by distance) and that was that. I was also able to book my airport shuttle through the DL website, so it was all one transaction—boom, done, “I’m going to Disneyland!”

Is there a specific schedule for these drops? Do they show the merchandse in advance? I don't follow this stuff too closely.

We were at the parks last weekend, bought a bunch of merch and then lost a bag. 😔 Lost and Found recovered the bag but most items except for one were missing. People suck. My kids were upset because they had some t shirts in there. So, I went back the other day to pick up the recovered item and went into WoD to repurchase the shirts. We hadn't gone in there last weekend, just shopped in Disneyland. WELL, there was SO MUCH STUFF that I had not seen anywhere at Disneyland. I ended up buying like 4 pins, an extra t shirt, and a hoodie. I wanted even more but we were already coming out of pocket again for the things we lost. Thank goodness for the 20% merch discount.
Oh man, I'm so sorry about the bag! People do suck.

I only know Feb 6th because of Shop Disney's ad for the Disneyland Eras drop. Assuming the next date will be shared after that, and so on (kind of like the Princess doll line)?

But yeah, looks like I'm gonna be a sucker for DL Half merch too. Let's hope 2023 is kind to me 🙃

Arguably Disneyland is actually simpler. Florida you have to bus in. CA depends on where you stay. But even if you’re at a good neighbor you can walk in (I’ve been staying at a hotel recently that’s a half mile jaunt from park gates) or if your a bit further out they have the ART buses (the local bus system) running

It’s a bit of a walk because you have yo go through DTD to get to the start. But you don’t even need to be up as early. I used to roll out at 3:30 and get through security and to the start with plenty of time to spare.

Where as rolling out that late in FL would be cutting it really close

Plus if they keep it as the same as before you’ll get free ART for the race weeekend.

don’t let the unfamiliarity scare you away. DL’s size is a huge advantage and it really is more convenient

Arguably Disneyland is actually simpler. Florida you have to bus in. CA depends on where you stay. But even if you’re at a good neighbor you can walk in (I’ve been staying at a hotel recently that’s a half mile jaunt from park gates) or if your a bit further out they have the ART buses (the local bus system) running

It’s a bit of a walk because you have yo go through DTD to get to the start. But you don’t even need to be up as early. I used to roll out at 3:30 and get through security and to the start with plenty of time to spare.

Where as rolling out that late in FL would be cutting it really close

Plus if they keep it as the same as before you’ll get free ART for the race weeekend.

don’t let the unfamiliarity scare you away. DL’s size is a huge advantage and it really is more convenient

I agree that DL is way easier than WDW for runs. I live about 15 minutes away from DL and don't stay in a hotel before the run Disney events. I leave my HOUSE later than I leave my hotel room at WDW races. I am at the parking structure and walking to the starting corrals within 30 minutes of waking up. If I was staying at a nearby hotel, I'd be waking up like 30 minutes before race start time. 😆

I got a room at the Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn a few days ago, and then I check back every now and then just to see if prices dropped. The room category I booked is not listed, anymore... Now I'm getting rather worried that this is going to be popular. Or that people are booking for MLK weekend, not realizing that there will be races happening, as well.

I got a room at the Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn a few days ago, and then I check back every now and then just to see if prices dropped. The room category I booked is not listed, anymore... Now I'm getting rather worried that this is going to be popular. Or that people are booking for MLK weekend, not realizing that there will be races happening, as well.
I think it is very smart to book now especially since there is no deposit. I don't think the Harbour BW rates have ever gone down in my experience, or at least not significantly. Even if only half of the runners are non-local and need a room, that's still like 5,000+ runners needing a place to stay that probably wouldn't be visiting that weekend otherwise. Those Harbor hotels are so popular and not very big (the BWPPI has 198 rooms and BWAI has 88 rooms) so come 2/14 I think those rooms will FLY off the shelves.

I went ahead and booked the Hyatt Regency while keeping an eye on the Hyatt Place to open up! Seems to be nearby as well so I think I’ll be okay keeping it if nothing else does.
I'm sure the other Hyatts will open up, I tried a random date in November and it wasn't available either so they must just open their booking window later than other hotels. But always great to have a backup that you wouldn't mind keeping!

I think it is very smart to book now especially since there is no deposit. I don't think the Harbour BW rates have ever gone down in my experience, or at least not significantly. Even if only half of the runners are non-local and need a room, that's still like 5,000+ runners needing a place to stay that probably wouldn't be visiting that weekend otherwise. Those Harbor hotels are so popular and not very big (the BWPPI has 198 rooms and BWAI has 88 rooms) so come 2/14 I think those rooms will FLY off the shelves.

Oh my goodness. The are very small hotels, all things considered. I'm now feeling rather lucky that I have a room already booked!

I’m curious about any suggestions for hotels that would be beneficial for race weekend. The last time I ran the Disneyland half was in 2008 and I lived in LA so I didn’t stay at a hotel. We’ve been to Disneyland a number of times in the last few years but typically stay on Katella/Harbor. It looks like the previous expo was at the Disneyland hotel (please correct me if I’m wrong) and start line for half marathon was previously near the Disneyland hotel as well. We’re not planning to stay on property, but I’m wondering if hotels on Walnut or Ball are more convenient for race weekend? Likely planning 2 days in the parks, visit to the expo, kids race and half marathon (if we get into them)

Anyone have any insight or suggestions

I booked at the HoJo last night. My husb and kids (4 & 6) will be with me. Seemed like the best room set up and rate. Most of the other hotels with separate sleeping areas were quite a bit more expensive. I’d have to double check but I think the rate is about the same as the current rack rate price at DLH so I’ll have to decide between separate sleeping areas or everyone in the same room. My husband loathes the idea of walking past places like panera or McDonald’s on a Disney trip (loves being in the bubble) and I dread the idea of sleeping in the same room as my kids. Disney tired doesn’t exist for them. In fact, it’s the exact opposite 😂

I’m curious about any suggestions for hotels that would be beneficial for race weekend. The last time I ran the Disneyland half was in 2008 and I lived in LA so I didn’t stay at a hotel. We’ve been to Disneyland a number of times in the last few years but typically stay on Katella/Harbor. It looks like the previous expo was at the Disneyland hotel (please correct me if I’m wrong) and start line for half marathon was previously near the Disneyland hotel as well. We’re not planning to stay on property, but I’m wondering if hotels on Walnut or Ball are more convenient for race weekend? Likely planning 2 days in the parks, visit to the expo, kids race and half marathon (if we get into them)

Anyone have any insight or suggestions

Anything in the Katella/Harbor area is going to be good for both parks and races. When we did Tink in 2017, we stayed at the Springhill right on the corner and walked to the start via the convention center and the road to the DL Hotel. And yes, the expo was at the DL Hotel in the convention area. For the parks, we went straight over to the bus drop-off area and through the front entrance. It was just about the same distance either direction and took 15-20 minutes to leisurely walk. (Of course, this assumes the start and staging areas are in roughly the same location they were before, which we don't know yet.)

And I realize a lot of folks are booking now, but there's really no reason to yet. The hotel we are planning to stay in hasn't even opened rooms yet for those dates. They know that anyone booking this far out has no flexibility and needs to be there, so the rates will be higher and not all rooms will be available to book, artificially inflating demand. I've got a reminder on the calendar to check back in May, and then keep an eye on rate drops every month or so up until the holidays.

Anything in the Katella/Harbor area is going to be good for both parks and races. When we did Tink in 2017, we stayed at the Springhill right on the corner and walked to the start via the convention center and the road to the DL Hotel. And yes, the expo was at the DL Hotel in the convention area. For the parks, we went straight over to the bus drop-off area and through the front entrance. It was just about the same distance either direction and took 15-20 minutes to leisurely walk. (Of course, this assumes the start and staging areas are in roughly the same location they were before, which we don't know yet.)

And I realize a lot of folks are booking now, but there's really no reason to yet. The hotel we are planning to stay in hasn't even opened rooms yet for those dates. They know that anyone booking this far out has no flexibility and needs to be there, so the rates will be higher and not all rooms will be available to book, artificially inflating demand. I've got a reminder on the calendar to check back in May, and then keep an eye on rate drops every month or so up until the holidays.

I found a room at a price I'm willing to pay, so I decided to book it. Thankfully, there's no pre-payment for a lot of the rooms on Harbor, so that made putting in a reservation (or 4) easier to handle.

If the price goes down, I'll gladly rebook, it's no big deal. I have a funny feeling that they might not.

I was able to use points thru IHG to secure a room at the Hotel Indigo on Katella. Holding out hope that I actually get registered for the 5k, 10k, and Half. If rooms are not completely insane, we hope to stay at the DLH, but they wont open up reservations until July according to my Dreams agent.

Any VGC owners out there? I’ve been walking a studio and am planning on switching it to a 1 Bedroom on the 7th when the points drop. Assuming it works out, I’d be happy to coordinate the drop of the studio. Based on your points/dates etc, you may still need to walk it a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter