DisneyLAND for the obese?

I think the best idea is for anyone worried about turnstiles to get themselves a GAC as soon as they get to the parks. This way they won't have to worry about exactly which rides have them and which ones don't. It would also prevent them from having to backtrack to Main Street in case a CM gives them a hard time.

That's my plan anyway! The less walking back and forth all over the park my big butt has to do the happier I am!!! :lmao:

I think the best idea is for anyone worried about turnstiles to get themselves a GAC as soon as they get to the parks. This way they won't have to worry about exactly which rides have them and which ones don't. It would also prevent them from having to backtrack to Main Street in case a CM gives them a hard time.

That's my plan anyway! The less walking back and forth all over the park my big butt has to do the happier I am!!! :lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: A girl after my own heart! Love that! :rotfl:

We were at DL Anaheim this week and really had no problems with rides or turnstiles (I am a 28-30 in size). The only rides I could not do were the Orange and the Maliboomer in California Adventure. Mulholland Madness was tight. We went on literally everything else that was open. The ride operators just automatically accommodated us with no question or awkwardness- that has always been the case. Hope that helps- just dont worry too much and have a blast!:cool1:

We were at DL Anaheim this week and really had no problems with rides or turnstiles (I am a 28-30 in size). The only rides I could not do were the Orange and the Maliboomer in California Adventure. Mulholland Madness was tight. We went on literally everything else that was open. The ride operators just automatically accommodated us with no question or awkwardness- that has always been the case. Hope that helps- just dont worry too much and have a blast!:cool1:

so glad to hear this! im about a 26/28 and this is my first trip to Disneyland since I was a youngster. Im always a little weary with my wider hips, but i'll make sure to avoid the Orange Stinger and check sizes on those other two.

When I went to WDW, I rented an ECV but didn't need a GAC - but it seems the 'Land has a different policy so i'll be sure to pick that up. Does anyone have a good suggestion or recommendation for an ECV rental place that will deliver to the Disney hotels?

I've used Deckert's and OC Medical. I liked both, but OC medical's equipment is a bit newer IMO (and a little bit more $$--but worth it to me). Both deliver to all the hotels in the DL area.

so glad to hear this! im about a 26/28 and this is my first trip to Disneyland since I was a youngster. Im always a little weary with my wider hips, but i'll make sure to avoid the Orange Stinger and check sizes on those other two.

When I went to WDW, I rented an ECV but didn't need a GAC - but it seems the 'Land has a different policy so i'll be sure to pick that up. Does anyone have a good suggestion or recommendation for an ECV rental place that will deliver to the Disney hotels?
Actually DLR adn WDW have the same policies on the use of the GAC except for that WDW has more stamps usually. If a guest is obviously disabled like in a wheelchair or ECV, using crutches or using a rollator then they do not need a GAC. Both parks also have a Stroller as a Wheelchair GAC.

I have never rented offsite at DL but Deckert and OC Medical are usually recommended. There are others but those are most commonly used out here.

Actually, I'm sure they do have turnstiles, but they are most likely electronic ones. Most new rides do not have the standard turnstiles.

I'll give you an example: In WDW I worked Winnie the Pooh. The turnstiles are at the exit, but you don't even know you are going through them. It has an electronic counter, and that is why there is a little gate for people in wheelchairs to go out of.

Another ride I worked with electronic turnstiles if Philharmagic. There is absolutely no way a merge person can take fast passes, control the lines, help with glasses, etc. and manually count the 500 guests who come through each show. We use an electronic turnstile and then have a button we push to manually add anybody who does not go through it such as a person in a wheelchair or a kid being carried by an adult. Again, most guests are not even aware that they have gone through a turnstile.

Believe me, there is no way they would have somebody stand there and manually count. That would be much more expensive than the cost and maintenance of the turnstiles. A lot of our performance is judged by how many people we get through an hour and I doubt they would trust a CM not to pad the numbers (In fact, I'm sure they would).

This is me last spring @ DL (in the Lilly Belle)

I do not remember having any problems with turnstiles or rides. (didn't try the Orange Stinger or Mulholland - and don't like Astro) Didn't go on Nemo Subs either - the line was always WAYYYYY too long.

InsideLB4.jpg

Thanks for sharing your photo, Robin! :goodvibes I also got your pm. Your trip sounds FUN! I'm sure your 4 year old will be fine in the car. My son was 11 months old the first time we drove to WDW from Chicago. This year he's 10 :scared1: and we're driving 3 days to DLR! :woohoo:

i'm pooh sized (3x)and would like a list of rides to avoid, or be warey of in disney world. i have small children so just wondering about dumbo and that type, as well as the rollercoasters and other types.

i'm pooh sized (3x)and would like a list of rides to avoid, or be warey of in disney world. i have small children so just wondering about dumbo and that type, as well as the rollercoasters and other types.

I have had very few problems at WDW. :goodvibes Be VERY CAREFUL about turnstiles in Fantasyland, especially if you have a large bottom/belly/hips as I do. The one at Haunted Mansion is always hard for me to get through. Turning sideways doesn't work for me because I'm short (5'2") so they fit right at my hips which is the widest part of my body! :lmao: Most of the rides I just skip past them and the CM's are nice about it.

I don't do Space Mtn. anymore because I had to ride it with the lights on once after it broke down. It just isn't fun anymore! So I'm honestly not sure about the fit on that one as it's been about 10 years!

Dumbo I ride with my 10 year old son, never had a problem fitting or with seat belts. We also share seats on Buzz, Snow White, Peter Pan etc.

I did ride Pooh alone because he wanted to ride with Grandma.

I don't do the Tea Party because of the wheel in the middle. I'm just convinced it would be rubbing on my belly, but I could be wrong.

We don't do Star Tours because we don't enjoy it. Last time I did I felt smooshed into my seatbelt.

In Epcot I ride everything with no problems. In HS I ride everything with no problems. In AK (our least favorite park, too HOT!) we do Everest, Kilimanjaro and Kali Rapids without problems.

Here's a few pictures of me and my son on our last trip to WDW in May 2008. Hopefully it will give you some idea of how your size compares to mine.:goodvibes

image243.jpg

image235.jpg

image242.jpg

Dumbo shouldn't be a problem. I used to work Fantasyland and would say that is probably one of our roomier rides. If it's just you and your son you should be okay. If you have anybody else with you, they should take a separate elephant. We do have a seatbelt extender that we can use. I've only had one or two times when that wasn't enough, and each time it was an obese couple, if they had taken separate elephants, they would have been.

Teacups might be difficult because of the narrow space between the wheel and the seat.

I don't think Winnie the Pooh should be a problem for you. Sit in front, it's roomier.

Philhar should be fine. Your only issue might be crowds. We pack 500 people into the lobby before the show. But it's a newer attraction so the seats are larger than what you might find in an older one.

Pan is pretty roomy and I foresee no problems.

Snow White might be an issue. The seats are tiny and there is no leg room to speak of. But I have had many obese guests ride it with no problem. It tends to be more of a problem for people who are trying to transfer from wheelchairs. It's probably not the most comfortable, but it's doable.

Small World, the seats are fairly low in the boat, so if you don't get down and up easily that one might be a little more difficult, but again, I have had guests of all different shapes and sizes on that ride with no issue.

personally - i'd avoid Dinosaur (not only is it terrifying, it was so painful to sit there and be rocked around - i left crying and terribly bruised on my thighs) and i've heard the astro orbiter is like a sardine can for us pooh-sized people. I'm trying to think of the rides I didn't go on last time, but Dinosaur was the one that sticks with me the most of a no-go. like someone else said, all-ears has a great "wdw at large" section for that info

good luck and have fun! ::MinnieMo

I know ... Mark Twain, ...Star Tours... do not have turnstiles. I will add that to my research next trip.

MT did have turnstiles in March, and Star Tours absolutely does (as of May 28th at least), right where the second measuring stick is (before you're sent to the pre-seating area.

I don't think Winnie the Pooh should be a problem for you. Sit in front, it's roomier.

To be 100% clear, you're answering the WDW question, right? Because the front of Pooh at disneyLAND is absolutely NOT roomier, and people of size and/or who have hip/knee problems should sit in the middle or back seat for Pooh.

Back to turnstiles, the ones at DL's Jungle Cruise are particularly brutal, IMO.

does anyone know how similar indiana jones experience is to dinosaur in wdw? im really worried the seats will be narrow and the jolting will be really rough like dinosaur is (and i left that ride with huge bruises). any input is wonderful!

Had NO problems fitting easily and comfortably on Indy...You can check earlier posts for pics of me for size comparison to yourself...I am very bottom heavy and this ride was no problem!

Ride it with no worries!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter