DisneyLAND for the obese?

PrincessSarah314

Mouseketeer
I've been to WDW many times but am now planning my family's first trip to DL. I am concerned that since it is older, the rides may not be as roomy. Also I am concerned about the lines. I really don't want to be stuck in a turnstile on my first trip! Since I'm so comfortable with everything at WDW I just walk up to the CM and tell them I don't want to use the turnstile. No one has ever batted a lash at me, they just let me join the rest of my family when they reach the front of the line.

I have found lots of info on WDW at large, but can't find anything on DL. HELP!!!!

Disneyland is the same way as WDW in that they try not to embarrass guests and will let guests use the disabled/stroller entrance. Just explain that you cannot do the turnstile and they will let you bypass it. If you have troubles with stairs then it is the same thing as far as a GAC goes.

All rides are turnstile free or have alternate entrances. The main train station has no turnstile nor does Star Tours. It might be easier for you to get a GAC for no stairs thus not having to find a CM then avoiding the turnstile. Either way you do not have to do turnstiles. I am at last visit 304 and about a size 24 but not bottom heavy thankfully.

All rides offer single rider options like a 400 pound woman might ride alone on Peter Pan or ride in the back seat while her family is in the front seat of Snow White. On the bobsleds you just tell the CM that you need one seat for yourself, I do that all the time.

WARNING
Make sure you bring enough clothes. There are a ton of off site shops that sell 3X to 7 X clothing within 25 miles but in the parks the sizes are limited to XL and some large sizes. If you are very tiny or very wide or tall or broad then you might not find clothes in an emergency like torn seams on your pants or sudden cold spell.

Most restaurants either have tables that move away from booth seats or have regular tables with chairs. I could go down the list but I have never been unable to ride any ride because of size except orange stinger, tiny seat. Astro Orbiter for now is not obese friendly, disabled friendly and stiff jointed folks friendly. That is the only ride that I actually was going to have them call for a tow truck and I mean it. You are on an inward angle and tilted while setting in a narrow vehicle on the floor flat.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask here. I even do meet and greets with friendly folks. I am willing to help out any way I can for free because friends help friends and strangers alike to have fun in the parks.

Thanks so much for the info! I can rest easier now knowing that I won't have any embarassing situations to face! Now I can start the fun part--planning the big trip!

I am over at the Disneyland board also. They have various southern Califonia boards also. If you need anything let me know as I specialize in food, special diets, obesity, and DLR but DLR is a lot like WDW. It takes time to deal with stuck guests so they just give all guests options around barriers.

I'm a big girl (wear sizes 16-20, depending on the cut of clothes; XL/1X) and am "chest-y" and the only ride I had a problem with was at California Adventure - Mailboomer http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/toppicturegallery/ig/DCA-Rides-Paradise-Pier/Maliboomer.htm DH had to help get the seat belt thing to click, other than that all was well - not that I didn't feel snug in other rides, but I didn't have issues getting seatbelts fastened or getting stuck in turnstiles anywhere (if it looks narrow, go in sideways).

I'm a size 28 and the only problems that stick out in my mind at DLR were with the Winnie the Pooh ride at DLR and the Orange Stinger and California Zephr at DCA.

The Winnie the Pooh ride was more of it being a tight space with a severe lack of leg room. I usually wear petite pants and my knees were very uncomfortably mashed against the seat in front of me. The ride wasn't worth the discomfort of the contortions to get in and out.

At California Zephr I couldn't get my seatbelt fastened (I have a big belly instead of big hips/behind) so the CM just gave me an extender. After that there was no problem

Riding the Orange Stinger was a mistake. I fit in the seat, but it was tight--I had to sort of smoosh in. The problem came when the ride got going. Heavy people move farther and faster when they're swinging in the air, so I was really flying all over the place. I was so afraid I was going to hit another rider. That didn't happen, but it just felt really out of control, and the force while I was swinging made the metal bars push really hard into my hips and thighs which hurt. It felt like a very long ride and I'll never do it again.

Otherwise, my trip was smooth and problem-free. 99% of the time I wasn't even thinking about "fitting in", just enjoying things like everyone else.

Same with me on Pooh and a lot of the kiddie rides like Snow White. I am short enough legged that I should not have to have my knees smooshed against the seat back. My friend has trouble because he is barrel chested and tall. He was squeaking about being uncomfortable on Space Mountain.

Once Screamin stopped for like 20 minutes and I had water and snacks on me. I was fine but the guys in the back were hurting. Obesity is not the important criteria as is how much space you take up. If you set a chair facing a wall then have someone else set in that chair they might have to move the chair as their would not be knee room. Even people with the same weight or clothing size can vary. Orange Stinger is the only ride I have ever freaked out to the point of a panic attack. I do freak out on some heights but can control it but that was me nonstop yelling and not sure but at least it was kid friendly.

Just an FYI - I'm a big girl and didn't fit through any of the turnstyles in Fantasyland. I was required to go to town hall and get a GAC. I was asked for my GAC at least half of the time I asked for accomidation

Well I just came back from the doctor and I've actually GAINED weight! Argh! I'm getting more and more nervous about this trip now. I'm hoping I don't slow down the rest of my family. My mother and my son go with me to WDW so they're used to me walking slowly and taking lots of breaks; but my sister, brother in law, and their 2 kids will be with us this trip!

I'm debating possibly renting an ECV but since there will be 7 of us I don't think we would all be able to use the wheelchair entrance. Has anyone ever rented an ECV?

shelly--Did a CM direct you to get a GAC because of the turnstiles? None at WDW have ever questioned me. What did they stamp on it?

Just an FYI - I'm a big girl and didn't fit through any of the turnstyles in Fantasyland. I was required to go to town hall and get a GAC. I was asked for my GAC at least half of the time I asked for accomidation

Me either! So embarrassing! OMG! I had to turn around & go backwards out of the line on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - NOT OKAY!! I went in through the alternate entrance & they finally, after much coaxing, let me in that way to meet up with the rest of my family. They did recommend getting a GAC though I never did do that. Just be really aware of it in Fantasyland!

Turnstiles are history for the most part. I use a GAC or a scooter. Deckerts and other companies rent the scooters as does Disneyland. You can park hop until DCA closes then you have to return back to Disneyland.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=31683754&highlight=lightyear#post31683754
That is the thread that I covered how to enter usind a wheelchair. It also applies to the GAC and the ECV.

I was up to 304 and I have not had problems using a scooter or getting on any ride but a few which are for my joints not bending or dfficulty getting out of the Astro Obiter. I have been obese all my life and have been over 200 pounds for over 25 years.

Get the GAC for no stairs if you cannot do ramps or stairs. Turnstiles ar history form what I can see as they were a waste of time and money. It is easier to hire one person with a clicker to count people than to have the turnstiles maintained and counts checked. Also turnstiles do not always count the right amount of people as some avoid the turnstile and others see the turnstile as a new toy.

For me I use a scooter or get a GAc and am not embarrassed. I was born this way, raised by a mother that stuffed me, raised by a grandmother who did not care if her granddaughters ate 5 candy bars, and now am in charge and yielding to the call of caramel corn. Genetic and nurture started me toward being obese but I am in control and not embarrassed if I cannot fit into a ride vehicle or turnstile. Adapt and move on.

I love DLR because so many rides are for people at 400 pounds or more. I see rides with lap belts that are way to big on me and lap bars that have plenty of room. Disney keeps adapting to me it seems as they have lots of things now for people in scooters, accomodations for us poohs, and accomodations for my dietary restrictions. They are spoiling me.

Well I just came back from the doctor and I've actually GAINED weight! Argh! I'm getting more and more nervous about this trip now. I'm hoping I don't slow down the rest of my family. My mother and my son go with me to WDW so they're used to me walking slowly and taking lots of breaks; but my sister, brother in law, and their 2 kids will be with us this trip!

I'm debating possibly renting an ECV but since there will be 7 of us I don't think we would all be able to use the wheelchair entrance. Has anyone ever rented an ECV?

shelly--Did a CM direct you to get a GAC because of the turnstiles? None at WDW have ever questioned me. What did they stamp on it?

Yes - they would not let me enter without one. I too, was just used to asking for an alternate entrance at WDW and was a little upset that they wouldn't allow that without a trip back up main street and a paper GAC. I honestly don't remember what they stamped on it. I just know that I - even though I was in a scooter - was asked for the GAC at least half of the time.

My DH and I were just at Disneyland over the Memorial Day weekend. Be aware that Ecv's are in much limited supply, more so than at WDW. Also, they cost $65 a day to rent. Wheelechairs cost $22 a day to rent. There are still several turnstiles in existence at many of the rides.
Both DH and I use canes, him for a bad knee, and me for radiculopathy in both legs. Our last DLR trip before this was in 2004 and cast members were very helpful when it came to disabled guests. This time, they were not, to the point of being pointedly rude. Despite 90 minute waits in line, only wheelchair users were allowed to use the handicapped entrances. When it was parade or fireworks time, cast members would not allow anyone to stop even briefly if they were not within the designated standing area. Those areas were roped off with no access until close to the park exit. When I had to stop briefly because my legs were collapsing on me, I was told each time to keep on going that I was not allowed to stop. Stairs were everywhere, even in places I rememberd there having been ramps available before.
Now here is the worst part ever. Apparently there is a new sport amongst 20 something Disney go-ers---body slamming the handicapped and the elderly. While in clearly open areas with plenty of space around me (remember, I was walking slower than regular traffic using my cane and limping somewhat) I was repeatedly body slammed by young men traveling in two's or couples in the same age group. It was always the young male that got me. It was not the usual brushing against you as they go by. It was shoulder slams and hip slams that left visible immediate bruises. I would have been on the ground if I hadn't had something else to grab on to. At one point, three of these slams occurred within the space of two minutes. Another time, I was just entering a shop, entranceway clean and no one but my DH beside me, when the male half of a 20 something couple did a combined shoulder and hip slam that sent me reeling. The cast member saw it and just looked away. My husband, very angry by this time, told him, "She isn't invisible, you know." The man disregarded him, his female companion said, "Sorry," and that was that.
Apparently, it is some sort of game. When another man tried to do that to my husband in the Costco in the area, from face on this time, my DH threatoned him with his cane and reminded him that he was bigger than him and would not put up with it. An older man behind him started clapping. He said that it was something the younger people have been doing, slamming in older people.
BTW, we were in Disneyland to celebrate my DH's 60th birthday.
We will not be returning to Disneyland. The magic is gone.
These die hard Disney fans (my first visit was to Disneyland when I was 10 years old) will stick to WDW from now on.

That last post left me speechless. I use a scooter and waddle onto rides sometimes. I get a GAC if I plan to waddle onto rides. I have posted a list of rides and how to access them. Even though there are stairs nobody is ever forced to do stairs or ramps.

Standard procedure is for guests to get an ECV for $45 plus tax and a $20 deposit. Decker for a week is way cheaper though. Guests who are not obviously handicapped have to get a GAC with a stamp such as no stairs. They are not letting everyone use the wheelchair entrance. Only persons using a mobility aid or who has a GAc can use the wheelchair entrance.

Reminder that WDW and DLR both clearly state that guests need to secure a wheelchair or scooter if they have trouble walking or standing in lines. This is a many decades old policy. Also if you were ready to drop from exhaustion you should have stood in front of the CM and said you were having troubles walking. You have done WDW before and you know that there is very little seating on Main Street there so the same holds true for DLR.

I am sorry you had such a bad time but do feel part of your problems could have been mitigated by renting a wheelchair or ECV and talking to the CM who would have found you a place to rest and got you a wheelchair to take you to Main Gate. If I was going to WDW I would rent an ECV from Randy's or at least take my wheelchair and have someone push me or I would not go on the trip.

Wow! Hard to believe so many people have reported negative experiences or rude CM's. :headache:I've noticed quite a few complaints on other threads and other boards too. It just seems so "Un-Disney" that I found it hard to believe!

I think I may just go ahead and rent the ECV. I hate to do it because I am only 29 years old and could make it thorugh the parks on foot (not to mention that my family will surely make fun of me for it); but I also hate to slow everyone else going with me down. :confused3

Either way I will definitely be stopping on Main Street to get a GAC card. I actually had one on our last trip to WDW that was stamped "Provide a Shaded Wait Area if Available at Attraction" because I am SUPER sensitive to the sun beating down on me. I never used it though because lines were so short.

I'm so grateful for all the responses I've gotten to my questions! :thanks: I never thought so many sympathetic DIS-ers would find their way over to this thread. I hope it keeps going and is able to help others prepare for their trips too! :goodvibes

Disneyland is the same way as WDW in that they try not to embarrass guests and will let guests use the disabled/stroller entrance. Just explain that you cannot do the turnstile and they will let you bypass it. If you have troubles with stairs then it is the same thing as far as a GAC goes.

All rides are turnstile free or have alternate entrances. The main train station has no turnstile nor does Star Tours. It might be easier for you to get a GAC for no stairs thus not having to find a CM then avoiding the turnstile. Either way you do not have to do turnstiles. I am at last visit 304 and about a size 24 but not bottom heavy thankfully.

All rides offer single rider options like a 400 pound woman might ride alone on Peter Pan or ride in the back seat while her family is in the front seat of Snow White. On the bobsleds you just tell the CM that you need one seat for yourself, I do that all the time.

WARNING
Make sure you bring enough clothes. There are a ton of off site shops that sell 3X to 7 X clothing within 25 miles but in the parks the sizes are limited to XL and some large sizes. If you are very tiny or very wide or tall or broad then you might not find clothes in an emergency like torn seams on your pants or sudden cold spell.

Most restaurants either have tables that move away from booth seats or have regular tables with chairs. I could go down the list but I have never been unable to ride any ride because of size except orange stinger, tiny seat. Astro Orbiter for now is not obese friendly, disabled friendly and stiff jointed folks friendly. That is the only ride that I actually was going to have them call for a tow truck and I mean it. You are on an inward angle and tilted while setting in a narrow vehicle on the floor flat.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask here. I even do meet and greets with friendly folks. I am willing to help out any way I can for free because friends help friends and strangers alike to have fun in the parks.

Tho you are right, almost all rides have alternate exits, all rides I can think of, DO HAVE turnstiles.

As you mentioned tho, there are alternate entrances and routes (in Disneyland). I did the park in a wheelchair last year, and was able to do most rides by using an alternate route. Thank God they do have that option as I had a fractured(left sided)pelvis/hip. Never would have been able to do Disneyland otherwise.

Disney and other companies are required by law to provide access however they go beyond what the law requires. IF you do not believe me then try doing parks not run by disney and restaurants not run by Disney and you will see a difference in the type of service and accessibility. I do not know about turnstiles still being in the parks. I know Buzz, Toy Story Mania, Mark Twain, RAfts, Pirates Lair, Innoventions, Autopia, Submarines, Monorail, Star Tours, HISTA, Small World, Roger Rabbit, Monsters Inc. and Pooh do not have turnstiles. I will add that to my research next trip.

Star Tours does have them as you go in right before they start putting you in the rows. Are we talking about the same park? because I was there just 3 weeks ago...:confused3

I was there this week and it has been a couple of weeks. It has been about 2 months since I was there on Star Tours and do not recall a turnstile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter