Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thought! Plus DH loves their fried chicken. It's right next to the photopass plus pick up spot too. It's decided!! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 :woohoo: :cheer2:

Sherry... As usual, you are so helpful and informative! I can't wait to hear about the official new frozen news! :yay:

Anna told my DD to come and visit her and go sledding with her which I assumed was a reference to whatever is in the works. I hope it sticks around for a long time so we can come back and see it!

Hi all, checking in live from the parks. Good gravy did it rain and rain and rain the last 2 days. We came woefully unprepared for so much rain, and everyone's shoes are completely soaked through. We've got them in the dryer here at the hotel right now for the past hour and a half, but theyre STILL not dry. Honestly not sure what we are going to do if we can't get these suckers dry by the morning time but we'll figure it out. The rest of the week says good weather so cross your fingers for us!

We went to California Adventure today for my daughters birthday, she really wanted to go to Disneyland on her bday but she said the rain was bumming her out and she didn't want to waste a rainy day at Disneyland. The Christmas decorations were very cool, I like the tree with the vintage style ornaments. We ran from indoor attraction to indoor attraction. The only other time we have been to California Adventure not only was Cars Land not open, it was for one day only, and we had my mother in law with us who... isn't much of Disney person. We had to really prioritize things to see ONLY the things we felt were can't miss. So this time we took the time to see everything we missed last time. Monsters Inc, Animation Academy, Aladdin, Turtle Talk with Crush among others. My favorite had to be the Aladdin show, it was so well done and I loved the Genie. "Hashtag ugly sultan. Tweet!" He was cracking me up!

We decided to skip Cars Land and World of Color until later in the week, none of us particularly felt like riding outdoor rides or standing in the rain to see the show. It was honestly a great day still. The rain really had me down at a few points, especially when I felt like I was walking in those water shoes you wear in the pool.. squish squish squish. The Disney magic stayed strong in me though and we stayed until nearly closing anyway.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day, I can feel it! My heart is really in Disneyland, not CA, even though it's a really neat park. I get so giddy just thinking about it! Yesterday after we arrived we were walking to Downtown Disney to get some lunch and do a little shopping.. when we passed the gates for Disneyland I honestly had to hold back tears even though we werent going in lol! Just my favorite place in the world to be!

Gotta get some sleep now, Anna and Elsa await!

figment_jii --

Thank you so much for posting more photos! That apple pie funnel cake certainly looks bountiful in every photo I've seen.

I see the regular (non-Mickey ears) gingerbread cookies in the Starbucks display case. Did you see the Mickey ears gingerbread cookies at the usual places (Candy Palace, Trolley Treats, etc.)?

I never went in Trolley Treats, but I got Mickey gingerbread cookies at Candy Palace and Marceline's the week before Thanksgiving. Make sure to check both the front and back cases at Candy Palace, as they weren't always stocked in both. There were also a couple times during our trip when Candy Palace didn't have any, but they were just out temporarily. One of my favorite treats!

And figment_jii --

Thank you so much for posting more photos! That apple pie funnel cake certainly looks bountiful in every photo I've seen.

I see the regular (non-Mickey ears) gingerbread cookies in the Starbucks display case. Did you see the Mickey ears gingerbread cookies at the usual places (Candy Palace, Trolley Treats, etc.)?

I saw the Mickey gingerbread cookies at Trolley Treats on Tuesday and at Pooh's Corner yesterday. Still haven't made it into the candy palace yet.

Do you ever notice how the Parks Blog sometimes does a blog about a specific something, right after we have been talking about it here in this thread (maybe Christmas trees, for example, or the Hotels)? As I always say, they are tuning in -- or certain "eyes" in the Disney Social Media Dept. are tuning in (because this is a popular, active thread with a lot of good information, photos, details, etc.).

So, what have I been talking about in this thread for the last couple of days? Santa Claus, and how he is suddenly having "breakfast" all over the place (Downtown Disney, GardenWalk, Knott's, etc.), as well as being in both parks and at all 3 hotels.

And...what did the Parks Blog do a piece on this morning? You guessed it. Santa!

"Santa Is Making the Rounds at Disney Parks" -- Disney Parks Blog; posted on December 4th, 2014 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

Meanwhile, Tom Bell of The DIS did a piece in A Christmas Fantasy Parade:

"Disneyland’s A Christmas Fantasy Parade 2014" -- The DIS; posted on December 4, 2014, by Tom Bell

:dance3:

New:

"Dining in Disneyland: Mickey Elf Premium Popcorn Bucket" -- Disney Food Blog; posted on Dec 4th, 2014 by Heather.

:joker::clown::joker:

Are there any 2x clothing at Disneyland, especially in the Christmas themed ones? And if so where should i look for them? Thanks

Brumeiser --

I know that World of Disney in Downtown Disney usually has a pretty good selection of sizes, designs and styles (including in the Christmas t-shirts and sweatshirts). Sometimes you have to search through to the back of the rack to find what you want, or look way up to the highest rack, but they usually have a good collection.

Obvious places like the Emporium or the Showcase shop on Main Street would have some things, but would also be likely to sell out of it faster as well (because those shops are so visible).

Elias & Co. in California Adventure probably has a good supply.

I've seen some good holiday shirts and sweatshirts (in a range of designs and sizes) in the big store in Frontierland too.

If all else fails and you can't find what you want in those stores, check the 3 hotels' shops as well. The Disneyland Hotel has a big store called the Fantasia Shop, and that often has some items that may sell out in the actual parks (because I think that people are more inclined to buy in the parks and less likely to buy at the hotels if they are not staying onsite).

I'll just caveat the Food Blog's report. I bought two of the Mickey Elf Popcorn buckets and the head lid worked okay on mine. It won't withstand being turned upside down, but it stayed closed while I was walking with it.

She also mentions the Mickey Elf Stein as being available at MVMCP (at the MK in WDW), but she doesn't mention that it's also available in DLR at a few locations at least (Jolly Holiday and Hungry Bear, maybe more). So you don't have to go to MVMCP in Florida to get one! :rotfl:

I'll just caveat the Food Blog's report. I bought two of the Mickey Elf Popcorn buckets and the head lid worked okay on mine. It won't withstand being turned upside down, but it stayed closed while I was walking with it.

She also mentions the Mickey Elf Stein as being available at MVMCP (at the MK in WDW), but she doesn't mention that it's also available in DLR at a few locations at least (Jolly Holiday and Hungry Bear, maybe more). So you don't have to go to MVMCP in Florida to get one! :rotfl:

I saw the Stein at Taste Pilots at DCA last week.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Darn! And I was ready to hop on a plane!:rotfl2:

That's funny that she didn't mention specifically where the bucket could be found at DLR (which I didn't notice, as I didn't read the blog before I posted the link) -- considering the blog begins with "Dining in Disneyland..." (Since it's a Disneyland blog, it shouldn't matter that the bucket is available at MVMCP too, I would think! :lmao:)

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Darn! And I was ready to hop on a plane!:rotfl2:

That's funny that she didn't mention specifically where the bucket could be found at DLR (which I didn't notice, as I didn't read the blog before I posted the link) -- considering the blog begins with "Dining in Disneyland..."

I'm guessing she didn't mention where the buckets are available because that would be pretty much every popcorn stand in the parks! I felt like I saw them at all but the NOS stand and the Cozy Cones in DCA. The caramel corn option makes me think she was that the popcorn stand by Elias & Co. in DCA.

I don't think this is going to be one of those 'attract huge mobs of people' events in any way, shape or form, but how fun is this idea?

Ugly Christmas Sweater Day at DL and DCA!! I think it sounds like a hoot!

See info -- HERE.

So if you see a bunch of folks in ugly Christmas sweaters on Friday, December 12th, you will know why!

:santa:

New (but not about the Frozen-in-Hollywood-Land-stuff -- yet!!!:rotfl2:):

"Fun Facts, Figures and History: ‘World of Color’ and Holiday ‘World of Color – Winter Dreams’" -- Disneyland News Press Release; posted on December 4, 2014

:dance3:

I continue to add in links to "Trip Reviews/Recaps/Reports" on page 1 -- HERE -- and also to "Photo Links and Photo-Related Info" -- HERE. (In fact, in the Photo post you will see that I have links to the introductions of every single Theme Week and Theme Day dating back to 2011, and the dates on which they were put up!!)

Remember -- if you visited Disneyland Resort last month or if you will be there this month and all the way until the end of the season, please post a recap for us so I can link the post in the "Trip Reviews" section on page 1.

If you did the Holiday Time Tour; if you scored a famous candy cane; if you enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at DLR; if you spend Christmas Eve/Day or New Year's Eve/Day at DLR; and if you're there for Three Kings Day -- please report back here with a review (kind of like what DisneyJamieCA did in lieu of doing a traditional Trip Report)! I fear that there may be good reviews and recaps posted -- but not in this thread -- and since I am not going to go hunting them down, they may not be seen by some of the people who follow this thread.

In the "Photo Links/Photo-Related Info" post on the first page I am going to add in a little category with a list of where to meet characters dressed for the holidays, and also the locations of the special holiday PhotoPass opportunities.

Let me know if I am forgetting anything:

Locations of Holiday Characters (characters wearing some sort of holiday garb)

Jingle Jangle Jamboree in DL

Pooh's photo spot in Critter Country (the character wear Santa hats or winter scarves)

Town Square (the characters wear winter sweaters)

Is anyone wearing holiday garb in Toontown anymore?

Buena Vista Street in DCA

Cars Land

Paradise Pier/Viva Navidad

Paradise Pier/Gazebo next to tree on pier

Santa at all 3 hotels

Holiday PhotoPass Locations

Main Street Christmas tree

Winter Castle (day and night)

Critter Country (with Pooh and friends)

?Are there still PhotoPass people at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree these days?

Buena Vista Street tree

By/near Carthay Circle

Cars Land

Viva Navidad

Paradise Pier Christmas tree

Grand Californian Hotel tree (Santa)

Disneyland Hotel (Santa location and the fake gingerbread Castle)

What am I missing? I know I'm missing something. Am I missing any special holiday character locations or holiday-specific PhotoPass spots?

:cheer2:

I just quickly wanted to check in before tackling the 50 or so pages that have been posted since I left. We came back from our fabulous trip early Tuesday morning and I had an absolute blast.

Corinna

I just quickly wanted to check in before tackling the 50 or so pages that have been posted since I left. We came back from our fabulous trip early Tuesday morning and I had an absolute blast.

Corinna

Corinna --

I saw that you had posted elsewhere and wondered when you were going to come back here to give us a rundown/recap of how the trip went, what the differences were between the first portion of your pre-Aulani Disneyland visit and the second/post-Aulani/Thanksgiving Disneyland visit, etc.!

Don't worry about catching up on the pages you missed -- I'm anxious for the scoop on what happened on the trip and how it all went!:hyper::yay:

Corinna --

I saw that you had posted elsewhere and wondered when you were going to come back here to give us a rundown/recap of how the trip went, what the differences were between the first portion of your pre-Aulani Disneyland visit and the second/post-Aulani/Thanksgiving Disneyland visit, etc.!

Don't worry about catching up on the pages you missed -- I'm anxious for the scoop on what happened on the trip and how it all went!:hyper::yay:

Aulani exceeded my wildest expectations and I had a fantastic time at Disneyland. I never got to see the fireworks. They were cancelled on the two nights I was at Disneyland that late and on Sunday it was raining quite heavily so I never went back to the park after dinner thinking I was out of luck only to hear them go off from the hotel.

I loved It's A Small World Holiday and even DH kind of liked it even though he hates the original version. I made the right decision going for the earlier time of the Holiday Tour and getting to watch the parade during daylight.

One of the highlights of the trip was getting one of the handmade candy canes.

I will do a proper trip report and will post the link here once I started it.

Corinna

Having a great time at the hotels. We have visited all 3 hotels and spent time in DTD. It is beautiful. Had a delicious and relaxing dinner at steakhouse 55 last night and breakfast with mickey at surfs up. WE WERE ABLE TO CLAIM OUR PHOTOPASS PLUS AT SURFS UP. they have starting doing it at both goofy's and surf's up.

ffbd3a84efe18ab31ee960553b92304e_zps1d4726fe.jpg

The gingerbread shingle is soft and yummy but I love the shortbread snowman!!!!

I don't think this is going to be one of those 'attract huge mobs of people' events in any way, shape or form, but how fun is this idea?

Ugly Christmas Sweater Day at DL and DCA!! I think it sounds like a hoot!

See info -- HERE.

So if you see a bunch of folks in ugly Christmas sweaters on Friday, December 12th, you will know why!

:santa:

I'd love to participate and we'll be there. Thanks Sherry!

Sorry I've been MIA but I've been the only full time therapist at work and oh em gee I can't explain how pooped I am. We leave Saturday and I have hardly begun packing. :faint:

Apparently the Muppet Vision marquee is now gone in Hollywood Land, and the "Hollywood Studios" lettering is now missing from that sign/arch in HL. There is a picture of it on Twitter.

Meanwhile, I suppose the Disney Parks Blog was not able to quickly rustle up their big "announcement blog" (about the Frozen takeover of Hollywood Land) this afternoon -- which surprises me, as I would have thought that they'd have some prepared text ready to go, just waiting for the official green light from the Disney execs.

So the announcement must be coming tomorrow (Friday). I can't imagine that they'd wait until Monday, 12/8 to announce it. I mean, at this rate they ought to hustle and get the news out there. If the whole Frozen business is supposed to begin on Saturday, 12/20 (with a likely media day or soft launch on Friday, 12/19), they've really only got a couple of weeks until it begins.

So, let's prepare for the "big revelation" tomorrow!

And then, when the Frozen stuff finally becomes official, the next waiting game will be for Disney to clue us in on some of the plans for the 60th anniversary next year! I suspect that they may tell us one or two things -- just to pacify us -- before the end of this year, but they will probably hold off until spring to tell us the majority of the details about whatever is happening in 2015 (especially since the events of the 60th are not even supposed to begin until May).

:3dglasses:3dglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter