Disneyland and DCA really need to rethink their mobile ordering / cashless system. It's now counter effective

most carts have cash option.

Carts, yes. But most people need more than popcorn, pretzels or churros and ice cream to make it through the day.

There are not many actual food locations that will let you walk up and order. Flo's and Plaza Inn are the only 2 that I know for sure allow it.

People really need to stop pushing this narrative that Disneyland has a staffing shortage NOT OF THEIR OWN DOING.

There are exactly SIX job postings for Disneyland Resort on their official page. Not ONE is a food service or basic park CM role.

IF there is a "staffing shortage" it's because Disney is being cheap and not bringing back enough staff.

People really need to stop pushing this narrative that Disneyland has a staffing shortage NOT OF THEIR OWN DOING.

There are exactly SIX job postings for Disneyland Resort on their official page. Not ONE is a food service or basic park CM role.

IF there is a "staffing shortage" it's because Disney is being cheap and not bringing back enough staff.
There are also union concerns ...

Also ... the CalOSHA rules about how much space each employee must have to work during covid times come into play. Kitchens and counter service areas are SMALL and can have maybe half the staff that they could have in them before (50% is based on approximately how many staff I can have in my current office building... but that requirement might/should go away on June 15)

Also ... the CalOSHA rules about how much space each employee must have to work during covid times come into play. Kitchens and counter service areas are SMALL and can have maybe half the staff that they could have in them before (50% is based on approximately how many staff I can have in my current office building... but that requirement might/should go away on June 15)

This doesn't seem to be an issue at literally any other fast food restaurant in California.

What does that mean?
We don't know what the unions are negotiating for. The unions were a factor in why they didn't have food festivals sooner/last summer or fall. They might be involved in why there isn't hiring happening now. There are a lot of factors at play and the union is making decisions in the best interest of their workers, Disney is trying to maximize profit, the state is trying to keep infection numbers low, all three forces are pushing against each other, placing blame squarely on any one of those entities isn't always the most useful path.
I know a CM who didn't want to go back for ToD bc he didn't have a car, couldn't get a vaccination. Haven't checked with him since he got vaccinated in late April (first shot), but people have reasons, and they communicate that to their unions, who then fight for things that might frustrate us as guests. :confused3
Just to be clear, they did not open for the food festivals earlier because the Union required employees to be returned at full time, and not the 4 days a week Disney was wanting to do. It wasn't til CA shut down in Dec that the unions went Oops.... And then allowed them to open for the spring with 5 days a week. There is a lot more at play here than meets the eye. Everyone can blame Disney, but there are unions involved also, who set what THEY will and won't allow.

Last edited:
I'm sure the root of the problem is staffing issues. When they are only offering $20 / hour to work food service they aren't getting a ton of applicants. My daughter works at a wine tasting room in suburban Seattle and even offering $17 to start plus about $10 an hour in tips they are struggling to attract applicants. I was shocked they can't get applicants when paying $27 an hour. We like going to a neighborhood Italian restaurant and they had 1 server and 1 food runner trying to take care of 12 tables. It was madness. We got there at 6:30p and didn't leave until 9:30p.

I'm sure Disney is the same way. They are going to have to bump their pay to $25 an hour if they are going to expect getting enough applicants.
I'm sorry but saying Disney isn't paying enough when they are paying $20/hour for food service is crazy! That is higher than most other places pay for food service. People are getting paid more to stay home from the government and that is the reason places are having trouble hiring workers. The states that have removed the extra benefits are having a huge boost in employment. Those are the facts.

We don't know what the unions are negotiating for. The unions were a factor in why they didn't have food festivals sooner/last summer or fall. They might be involved in why there isn't hiring happening now. There are a lot of factors at play and the union is making decisions in the best interest of their workers, Disney is trying to maximize profit, the state is trying to keep infection numbers low, all three forces are pushing against each other, placing blame squarely on any one of those entities isn't always the most useful path.
I know a CM who didn't want to go back for ToD bc he didn't have a car, couldn't get a vaccination. Haven't checked with him since he got vaccinated in late April (first shot), but people have reasons, and they communicate that to their unions, who then fight for things that might frustrate us as guests. :confused3

This is also apparently an issue in Orlando, where they don't have nearly the same types of "union issues."

I'm sorry, but it really just seems like Disney is trying to get away with as little staff as possible right now, both here and at WDW.

I'm sorry but saying Disney isn't paying enough when they are paying $20/hour for food service is crazy! That is higher than most other places pay for food service. People are getting paid more to stay home from the government and that is the reason places are having trouble hiring workers. The states that have removed the extra benefits are having a huge boost in employment. Those are the facts.
Actually, it's not. There is plenty information out there that shows it not. That is nothing more than a talking point.

Most likely scenario is that they are required by union contract to offer positions to furloughed CMs before they can advertise open positions. Might need to give time to the furloughed CMs to get vaccinated before they agree to come back. If they are still having issues June/July then it is probably them being cheap.

Most likely scenario is that they are required by union contract to offer positions to furloughed CMs before they can advertise open positions. Might need to give time to the furloughed CMs to get vaccinated before they agree to come back. If they are still having issues June/July then it is probably them being cheap.

I very much doubt that full vaccination before coming back to work was negotiated into the contract. I believe Disney had to agree to OFFER vaccinations to employees.

I very much doubt that full vaccination before coming back to work was negotiated into the contract. I believe Disney had to agree to OFFER vaccinations to employees.

sure, but I would guess there is some sort of timeline specified in the contract. I will give them benefit of the doubt for the next couple weeks, but they better get their act together soon.

Actually, it's not. There is plenty information out there that shows it not. That is nothing more than a talking point.
There is also plenty of information out there that says yes it is a factor. The most important factor for most. I agree that there are a few other factors at play - mostly childcare issues due to schools not being open the way they should be. That is another government caused issue as well.

There is also plenty of information out there that says yes it is a factor. The most important factor for most. I agree that there are a few other factors at play - mostly childcare issues due to schools not being open the way they should be. That is another government caused issue as well.
But now you're changing what you said. Nobody ever denied it was A factor. But you are wrong about it being the BIGGEST factor. It simply isn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/05/13/unemployment-benefits-minimum-wage-work/

Before this thread gets shut down, can we get away from politics and back to how frustrating it is to not be able to have all the snacks we want whenever we want them? :drinking1

I'm heading down this weekend, currently trying to put together my list of what snacks I want in the room since its likely we'll be limited to what we can purchase on the mobile app first thing in the morning ... how many beignet orders should I set up? One in the morning, one in the evening each day?

Before this thread gets shut down, can we get away from politics and back to how frustrating it is to not be able to have all the snacks we want whenever we want them? :drinking1

I'm heading down this weekend, currently trying to put together my list of what snacks I want in the room since its likely we'll be limited to what we can purchase on the mobile app first thing in the morning ... how many beignet orders should I set up? One in the morning, one in the evening each day?

I'll be scheduling dole whips twice a day at this rate. From what I recall, you can cancel orders too right? Just set up a few that you know you might want and if it doesn't work out just cancel them.

I definitely want the beignets! I was actually considering them for breakfast since currently the in park options are so limited. :rotfl:
I'll be scheduling dole whips twice a day at this rate. From what I recall, you can cancel orders too right? Just set up a few that you know you might want and if it doesn't work out just cancel them.
Smart plan! Dole whips is another one I know we'll want to do - especially in June. I'll have to remember to set those up each morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter