Disney Welcome Sign

household6

Earning My Ears
This will be our third family trip and we have never driven under the big welcome sign. We are staying at Shades of Green and the last 2 times we went, when I put the address into my phone, it takes us in a back way behind MK and through all kinds of other backstage kinds of stuff. Can anyone give me directions to Shades of Green coming from the direction of Tallahassee that will take us past the sign?

Thanks!

There are at least 3 entrance arches:
  1. The original on World Dr.
  2. Osceola Pkwy.
  3. Western Way.
I think there's a 4th on Epcot Ctr. Dr., as well.

Coming down the Turnpike from I-75, the easiest one is Western Way. Exit the Tpke. at Toll 429 southbound, and the Disney World exit will be about 15 miles.

Or for the original one, just stay on 429 one more exit to 192 east, and follow signs to WDW.

There are at least 3 entrance arches:

[*]The original on World Dr.
[*]Osceola Pkwy.
[*]Western Way.
I think there's a 4th on Epcot Ctr. Dr., as well.

Coming down the Turnpike from I-75, the easiest one is Western Way. Exit the Tpke. at Toll 429 southbound, and the Disney World exit will be about 15 miles.

Or for the original one, just stay on 429 one more exit to 192 east, and follow signs to WDW.

Thanks so much! This is just what i was looking for. Now I guess I need to find a good driving map!

From Tallahassee it is easy. Simply take I-10E to I-75S. I-75S to FL HWY 91 (Florida Turnpike, you'll see the signs to Orlando). Once you get to I-4, head West and follow the signs to the Magic Kingdom exit. Once on property, the signage is easy. Just follow the road to the Magic Kingdom resorts. Keep right at the toll booths (you won't pay, just tell them where you are going), so you can access the roads and not end up in the TTC parking lot.

Remember, people drove here before GPS and smart phones, so even if you wing it, you'll be fine :)

Good luck and have fun!

It is neat to drive under the sign.... you know you are really there!

Keep in mind, there is no stopping to take a picture... we always have the camera or iPhone ready to snap a quick one...... You are on a freeway with quick traffic and no areas to just pull over. We've seen people doing it and it's very dangerous.....

I have always taken cruise transportation or ME and have never been able to snag that elusive front seat to get the pic of the entrance sign.

This year we are driving and if I have to slow down to 5 miles an hour or back up two or three times, I am going to get it.....I already have someone riding shotgun to take the pic, because I am driving that leg of the trip.

Do NOT back up!!!! Take the second exit past the sign, drive over (under) the road you were on, get back on it going in the opposite direction, repeat when you get past tge sign and try again. Repeat as many times as necessary.

Don't slow down, either.

This year we are driving and if I have to slow down to 5 miles an hour or back up two or three times, I am going to get it.....I already have someone riding shotgun to take the pic, because I am driving that leg of the trip.
:lmao: Just to note, this is a freeway with people that will be traveling faster than the speed limit (since they just got off the interstate). As such, it is a controlled access road in one direction. It would be like stopping and backing up on a major freeway :rotfl2:

Oh plus, the Orange County Sheriff patrol this road for speeders, so you might get stopped for impeding traffic. :upsidedow

Good luck!

Greysword said:
:lmao: Just to note, this is a freeway with people that will be traveling faster than the speed limit (since they just got off the interstate). As such, it is a controlled access road in one direction. It would be like stopping and backing up on a major freeway :rotfl2:

Oh plus, the Orange County Sheriff patrol this road for speeders, so you might get stopped for impeding traffic. :upsidedow

Good luck!

Seriously, I was just kidding. The shutter speed on the camera will be set to snap that thing as quick as I can.

That is what I get for posting at my local watering hole after a couple glasses of wine!

That is what I get for posting at my local watering hole after a couple glasses of wine!

Care to share what you're drinking? I'm thirsty. :D

Seriously, we're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Will we be going under the sign on the way there? We're probably coming from the Turnpike.

Also, would we be going under the sign every time we leave the Disney area (grocery shopping or eating offsite)?

Seriously, we're staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Will we be going under the sign on the way there? We're probably coming from the Turnpike.

Also, would we be going under the sign every time we leave the Disney area (grocery shopping or eating offsite)?
You have to enter Disney property to get to Bonnet Creek Resort. I think the only public entrance without an arch is Hotel Plaza Blvd. off of 535 (DTD exit off of I-4.) Any other public entrance should take you under an arch.

If you enter thru a backstage area, you won't go thru an arch.

You have to enter Disney property to get to Bonnet Creek Resort. I think the only public entrance without an arch is Hotel Plaza Blvd. off of 535 (DTD exit off of I-4.) Any other public entrance should take you under an arch.

If you enter thru a backstage area, you won't go thru an arch.

But there are welcome signs on either side of the road there. Not the big arch, but something :thumbsup2

Oh Please People!!!!
You do have to keep in mind the amount of traffic around you, but if it is a slow traffic time you can slow down (I don't suggest to 5 mph!) to grab a better picture!! We have done it more than once. Sometimes when we are coming thru there, there are literally no other cars around (or it might only be 2 or 3 and its what 3 lanes wide)!! And we have Never had a problem with slowing down! You definitely don't want to pull over. There are signs posted telling you not to and if a cop catches you, you will be ticketed!

Seriously, I was just kidding. The shutter speed on the camera will be set to snap that thing as quick as I can.

the problem is many people do stop, slow down, pull over and do stupid things there.

once when heading to ak we approached that entrance. as we were coming up to crossing I4. traffic was all backed up from the sign to that point. I assumed it was someone who did something stupid and caused an accident.

This will be our third family trip and we have never driven under the big welcome sign. We are staying at Shades of Green and the last 2 times we went, when I put the address into my phone, it takes us in a back way behind MK and through all kinds of other backstage kinds of stuff. Can anyone give me directions to Shades of Green coming from the direction of Tallahassee that will take us past the sign?

Thanks!

Lol, glad we're not the only ones! When we drove last time, the Tom Tom sent us in some back way. I even asked DH "should we be back here? This looks like a behind-the-scenes area" :lmao:

:teeth: Ah! While I know that you know (that I know you know :hyper:) not to slow down or stop, I generally try to reply assuming that someone who doesn't know may read the thread and try to emulate what is said by us (self imposed experts) ::yes::.

The reply wasn't really for you, Missy. Rather, it was for anyone who has not been there (or at least never driven there) before and is absorbing what we say. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter