Disney Trivia December 2020 Exercise Challenge

3 right on the latest trivia questions. (edited because I can't count)

355 minutes since last check-in - walking, weights, horses

2070/2300

Hmmm . . . not sure I will make goal. I've aggravated an old knee injury (probably doing squats with weights) and am trying to nurse it back via tools I remember from physical therapy sessions. Might have to count those minutes to get me through!

Hope everyone had a happy past few days.

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle on turning Red, and to me on reaching goal and turning Green! And the TEAM has turned Pink!!

We're looking at a light snowstorm coming in, so let's warm up by thinking about Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa:

On what Hawaiian island will you find Aulani? Do you know the neighborhood it's in?

The island of Oahu, part of the Ko Olina development on the western coast.

What year did Aulani open?

What famed Imagineer helped create Aulani?

Who or what are Menehune?

A. The musicians who play for the Aulani luau.
B. Figures from Hawaiian folklore
C. A traditional Hawaiian breakfast dish.

The Menehune are mischievous, magical craftspeople from Hawaiian folklore. More than 300 carvings of menehune are scattered throughout Aulani.

What is a humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa?

The state fish of Hawaii. It's also known as the triggerfish. But it doesn't have the longest fish name. In Rainbow Reef, the 3,800-square foot artificial lagoon in the center of the resort, you can find the lauwiliwilinukunuku‘oi‘oi, the long-nosed butterflyfish.

Where at Aulani can you find props from WDW's defunct Adventurer's Club?

According to the interview with Joe Rohde linked above, at Aunty's Beach House, the kids' club.

What is Aulani's graphic logo based on? (You can see the logo here, on the Aulani twitter feed.)

It's based on a traditional Hawaiian canoe house. Aulani's lobby is inspired by the same source.

Last edited:

I knew the Menehune (thanks to an old episode of Full House) and was only a year off and the opening, but didn't get any more unless you count my answer of "that guy with the earring" for the imagineer question. :laughing: (I could absolutely picture him from one of the Disney+ specials I watched, but his name was escaping me.)

Last edited:
Today, let's look at the Disney Vacation Club (DVC).

What was the first DVC resort?

Old Key West, opened in 1991. It then was known simply as the Disney Vacation Club Resort.

What is the most recent DVC resort?

Riviera, opened in 2019.

What DVC resort was announced to be built on the site of the former River Country water park (but probably is delayed, at best, or possibly even canceled)?

What three DVC resorts are not attached to a theme park?

Vero Beach, Hilton Head, and Aulani

Which DVC resort is themed to a popular 1800s retreat famous for spas and horse racing?

Saratoga Springs, inspired by Saratoga Springs, New York.

Which is the smallest DVC resort (by number of rooms)?

The Villas at Grand Californian

Which DVC resort recently saw a renovation to its slide?

Today, let's check out Disney California Adventure (DCA), the "second gate" of the Disneyland Resort:

What was on the land that DCA stands on before DCA was built?

The Disneyland parking lot.

What new land at DCA is nearing completion? What did it replace?

Avengers Campus, themed to Marvel. It replaces a bug's life.

What DCA area is themed to parks such as Yosemite and Redwood?

Grizzly Peak, with the Grizzly River Run and the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

What was the first Soarin' film?

Soarin' Over California

What did the California Screamin' coaster become?

The Incredicoaster, themed to the Incredibles as part of Pixar Pier.

What DCA attraction was the first to take visitors through the middle of a restroom?

Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue (the Monsters, Inc. employee restroom is one of the scenes)

What is the name of DCA's nighttime show?

World of Color

What is the name of DCA's "Main Street, USA" equivalent?

Buena Vista Street

Who narrated the Golden Dreams film about the history of California, and what replaced that attraction?

Whoopi Goldberg was the narrator. The film was replaced by the Little Mermaid ride, Ariel's Undersea Adventure. The facade from the original theater, inspired by the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, remains.

What was Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout themed as originally?

The Tower of Terror

And watching the Ordinary Adventure vlog about their recent trip to Aulani, I remembered two other questions I meant to ask:

Which of Duffy's friends is from Aulani?

'Olu, now named 'Olu Mel -- a sea turtle

What is unique about Aulani's elevator music?

It's Disney songs sung in Hawaiian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts