Disney Trivia December 2020 Exercise Challenge

sophy1996

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the December 2020 exercise thread! We're finally to the last month of this most unusual year! With busy end-of-year schedules and folks likely popping in and out irregularly, I'm going to take it a bit easier and just post (hopefully) interesting Disney trivia.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since December has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Blue
25% - Orange
50% - Purple
75% - Pink
90% - Red

100% - Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on December 1, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:

2manypets - 49/700
Elizabeth Smith - 910/700
piglet1979 - 843/1860
PollyannaMom - 585/500
sophy1996 - 1100/930
Twilight Sparkle - 2335/2300

Team Total: 5822/6990 83.3%

Last edited:
Good morning, and welcome to December!

Did you know that Walt Disney was a high school dropout? Any guesses as to why he dropped out?

He dropped out of school when he was 16 to join the Red Cross Ambulance Service in World War I. The minimum age was 17, so he had to alter his birth certificate. He arrived in France shortly after the Armistice, spent some time as a driver for officials and otherwise helping out, and was discharged in 1919.

I am in and going to do much better this month. The last two months have been a mess for me and it is showing in my weight. And by a mess I mean everything emotional has caught up with me and the holiday was not helping. I feel like I am doing better now. I am going to go with 1860 this month (60 minutes a day). I have already gotten my 60 minutes in today and will get back on the treadmill after work to finish getting my 10,000 steps. My goal, on top of the 60 minutes, is to get 10,000 steps a day. I will do this by walking on the treadmill for an hour on my lunch break and getting the rest (about 30 minutes) after work on the treadmill.

It has turned cold with a huge snow storm that started yesterday and still going on now. The last time we checked, a few hours ago, we averaged about 9.5 inches of snow plus who knows how much rain before that. It rained all day yesterday before switching to snow around 7ish. So no more walking outside for me. It is too cold.

We have lots of limbs and branches down everywhere and luckily we have not lost power. We do have a branch on our cable line but it has not broken off from the tree yet. so hoping that it doesn't I did wake up last night to a pretty big limb that fell and then what I expected was another a short time later. I couldn't see it last night but when I got up saw that they both fell in my neighbors yard. One on her shed and one on her fence. We were without power about 2 weeks ago for about 24 plus hours, from a huge wind storm with 60-70 mph winds that took out lots of huge parts of trees. We were hoping that this took out all the weak branches but it clearly did not.

Congratulations to piglet1979 on being the first to put time on the board this month!

During World War II, the Disney studios helped the war effort by producing films for the U.S. government. What 1942 short featuring Donald Duck was nominated for an Academy Award? And what was its subject?

The New Spirit was commissioned by the Treasury Department to encourage people to pay income tax.

Here are my official times for the week so far.

12/1 -- 62
12/2 -- 0 (I did this to myself. I ate food that I knew, or had a good idea, would make me sick). I will make up the time today and tomorrow.

Everyone is on the board with some time! Go team!! :cheer2:

Ranking based on the ride's top speed (according to Google), going from the slowest to fastest, how would you order MK's Barnstormer, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain, and Splash Mountain?

From slowest to fastest:

Barnstormer (25 mph)
Space (28 mph)
7DMT (34 mph)
BTMRR (36 mph)
and the MK ride that reaches the fastest speed is Splash, with the drop reaching 40 mph!

Who would have thought that Space was the second slowest ride?

I was close on the speed ranking guess, I just had Splash and BTMRR swapped. No spoilers, but I was not surprised to find which were the slowest. I’m a bit of a coaster enthusiast so I think I have a sense for those things. Lol.
Adding 40 minutes. 20 on my stationary bike and a slow paced 20 for a bedtime yoga routine.
80/700

I was all off. I Barnstormer correct and that was it. This does not surprise me though as I am not a fan of roller coasters. I have been on space once. I went on to get my daughter to go on it. She is my adventurous one but If I say I don't like something or if I won't go on a ride she won't go. She I went on for her. I hated it. I can't do the dark. I get very disorientated and start to feel sick. When we wanted her to go on it another time I lied and said I was not feeling good to get her to go on it. It took me years to go on Splash. The dropped scared me. Again went on so DD would. I like the ride but could do without the drop. I just deal with it.

Interesting enough BTMRR was my first roller coaster when I was like 10 or 11. I had been to Cedar Point many times by this point but never rode the roller coasters. My dad talked me into going on it. They had me sit between my dad and step mom. I am not sure why. I spent most of that ride with my butt out of the seat and swore I would never ride another roller coaster again. The family then rode Space and my dad and step mom were so mad that I refused to go on it. So they left me by myself. I went on the Astro Orbiter then waited for them to get off Space.

Adding time from yesterday. I didn't get to make up time from Wednesday though. We lost power for a few hours in the afternoon. I did get on the treadmill at 8:30 though to get my 60 minutes in. SO I call that a win for yesterday.

12/3 - 62 minutes

Total -- 124/1860

The family then rode Space and my dad and step mom were so mad that I refused to go on it. So they left me by myself. I went on the Astro Orbiter then waited for them to get off Space.

I love BTMRR, but I can't stand Space. My dad so wanted to ride Space that he told nine-year-old me and my younger brother it wasn't a rollercoaster. It backfired on him when I was terrified. I didn't ride it again until I was in my 30s. And those two times are the only times I've ridden it. Way too jerky for me.

Luckily for my dad, my nephew is way more into it, so on our more recent family trips, he finally has someone to go with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter