Disney to extend 60 day FP booking to non Disney hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. There's not enough information yet to really determine impact (if much of any). Based on what's known so far, this may be a minor blip for FP+ (depending on the number of hotels - although it's safe to say it won't make 60-day reservations easier - just whether it makes them much harder), but could be a major boost to the participating hotels. My take-aways:

-WDW already extends this benefit to a couple of non-Disney hotels (like Swolphin), so it's not unprecedented.
-It sort of reminds me of the perks for the Good Neighbor hotels at DL (like early entry) - although that's a bit different since Disney only owns a few hotels out there.
-Disney must believe that its resort reservations will remain strong even if the benefit is expanded to other hotels.
-Expanding advance FP+ opportunities largely affects 3-4 "headliner" rides - outside of those rides, the 60-day window offers plenty of opportunity to get most anything else.

Not that anyone is asking my opinion (which is probably a good thing), but Disney is not all that committed to using advanced FP+ benefits as an ongoing perk for resort guests. It made sense when resort reservations were down, but that's changed. Additionally, the advance FP+ perk (like the ever-diminishing EMH perk) does not make money for Disney - it's been a loss leader to help get us to stay on-property. Disney does make money, however, from guests who can't get the hot-ticket FPs that they want by upselling them on things like EMM, party events, and tours/dessert parties that provide guaranteed or priority ride access. Not saying those upsells are driving the FP+ decisions here, but Disney doesn't have much incentive to keep things as they are.

Interesting. There's not enough information yet to really determine impact (if much of any). Based on what's known so far, this may be a minor blip for FP+ (depending on the number of hotels - although it's safe to say it won't make 60-day reservations easier - just whether it makes them much harder), but could be a major boost to the participating hotels. My take-aways:

-WDW already extends this benefit to a couple of non-Disney hotels (like Swolphin), so it's not unprecedented.
-It sort of reminds me of the perks for the Good Neighbor hotels at DL (like early entry) - although that's a bit different since Disney only owns a few hotels out there.
-Disney must believe that its resort reservations will remain strong even if the benefit is expanded to other hotels.
-Expanding advance FP+ opportunities largely affects 3-4 "headliner" rides - outside of those rides, the 60-day window offers plenty of opportunity to get most anything else.

Not that anyone is asking my opinion (which is probably a good thing), but Disney is not all that committed to using advanced FP+ benefits as an ongoing perk for resort guests. It made sense when resort reservations were down, but that's changed. Additionally, the advance FP+ perk (like the ever-diminishing EMH perk) does not make money for Disney - it's been a loss leader to help get us to stay on-property. Disney does make money, however, from guests who can't get the hot-ticket FPs that they want by upselling them on things like EMM, party events, and tours/dessert parties that provide guaranteed or priority ride access. Not saying those upsells are driving the FP+ decisions here, but Disney doesn't have much incentive to keep things as they are.

That's some cynicism I can really get behind.

It does make really good sense. Keep making FP's hard to get. Then keep piling on those upsells. "Smith family, we are so sorry you couldn't get a FP for 7DMT or FOP, but for $200 have a cupcake, a smile, and an opportunity to ride them with minimal waits..."

Evil genius. What makes WDW the place it is today.....

That’s a very good point. You have completely nailed it my friend.

It’s all about the upsell. All about it.
:rolleyes2

Like when you could get FP for Wishes. And now they sell them (dessert party).

Sigh.

This really is only a relatively recent perk for staying onsite. Just a handful of years ago, there was no FP difference between off vs. onsite. So to those crying "now there's no reason to stay onsite!" what was the reason pre-2013?

I would just point out that the cost today vs 2013 is drastically different.

IMO, its harder to justify that $280 POR room when you lose amenities like this.

That room in 2013 was probably closer to $220. And those off sites have not experienced the same increases.

That's some cynicism I can really get behind.

It does make really good sense. Keep making FP's hard to get. Then keep piling on those upsells. "Smith family, we are so sorry you couldn't get a FP for 7DMT or FOP, but for $200 have a cupcake, a smile, and an opportunity to ride them with minimal waits..."

Evil genius. What makes WDW the place it is today.....
Nope - I'm sorry - you can have the cupcake and ride opportunity for $200, but that smile is going to cost you $10 extra (*add $3 for additional pixie dust sprinkling).

I do think that this move is more about enhancing guest experience at those other hotels - but it doesn't hurt that it might help promote those upsells and make some money indirectly. But, yes, please show some love to the APs, too, if the offsite guests are getting some perks now....

Nope - I'm sorry - you can have the cupcake and ride opportunity for $200, but that smile is going to cost you $10 extra (*add $3 for additional pixie dust sprinkling).

I do think that this move is more about enhancing guest experience at those other hotels - but it doesn't hurt that it might help promote those upsells and make some money indirectly. But, yes, please show some love to the APs, too, if the offsite guests are getting some perks now....

Seriously. Could we at least get a smile for $5?

I could see maybe the ones on hotel plaza bvd because they are technically on property as well as the resorts in golden oak but beyond that.... I already can’t get FP+ for a good majority of attractions as a day tripping local and this will suck even more up

Interesting, I think I understand both sides. I stay onside because I love the Disney bubble (I even like the busses). I also never had real difficulties to get the fastpasses I wanted. But I think with all the money onside guests are paying there should be some benefits. I know many don't like the idea of paying always more and more for things thst were free some years ago, but I would really like if Disney would offer maybe some choices, like more fp for deluxe, or packages of x number of fp for x dollar or passe as universal has. So you can decide to "buy" more or not - and maybe this would be cheaper than having a dessert party to get one frozen fastpass:P. Let's see if this new rule has impacts on getting fpes...

We don't drive down so I can't see us ever giving up on site transportation and I'm not about to put up with an off site shuttle schedule. It has little to do with a Disney bubble and everything to do with Transportation.
I do think offering this to the "Good Neighbor" hotels, aka what they do at DL, makes sense. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see those rates go up either.
I don't think they are going to be offering this perk to every hotel room in Orlando, or to private home rentals.

We don't drive down so I can't see us ever giving up on site transportation and I'm not about to put up with an off site shuttle schedule. It has little to do with a Disney bubble and everything to do with Transportation.
I do think offering this to the "Good Neighbor" hotels, aka what they do at DL, makes sense. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see those rates go up either.
I don't think they are going to be offering this perk to every hotel room in Orlando, or to private home rentals.

I agree. And I think AP should have 60 days no matter where they stay.

I already can’t get FP+ for a good majority of attractions as a day tripping local and this will suck even more up

Seriously. I've been stalking FEA FP's for like 2 weeks now, and can't get 5 together on a Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday. I know, I can always make my littles get to RD 30-45 mins before opening, or get in line right before closing, but as I get older, those options get a little harder.....

I think it would be nice to have FP+ and ADRs only at 30 days for onsite and a bit less for offsite. By then, park hours and EMH should be pretty set and would minimize the need to scramble for so many changes. It would be so much nicer than having to plan and go crazy 6 months before a planned trip and would make last minute trips so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter