Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

While I hope this will happen, I can't help to think about Omnimover rides that currently exist at Disney. As wonderful as these are, there are sill lines at this rides, often long lines. I'm thinking of rides like Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid.

I'm hoping it's a case where people just keep moving but based on experiences in the parks, when they're busy (like the Skyliner will be at park opening and close) I think it's only realistic to be prepared for lines. Probably not 20 or 30 minutes lines but, there will be lines.

Sure, but HM has a capacity of something like 2400 pph, roughly half what the Skyliner does. The Peoplemover is around 3600 pph. Are the same number of people trying to ride HM going to be trying to ride the Skyliner at any other time but park closing?

While I hope this will happen, I can't help to think about Omnimover rides that currently exist at Disney. As wonderful as these are, there are sill lines at this rides, often long lines. I'm thinking of rides like Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid.

I'm hoping it's a case where people just keep moving but based on experiences in the parks, when they're busy (like the Skyliner will be at park opening and close) I think it's only realistic to be prepared for lines. Probably not 20 or 30 minutes lines but, there will be lines.
As a prior poster said those are less capacity, and also those are concentrations of people interested in an attraction so the worse case for the Skyliner is going to occur in the evening at park close. I think the efficiency of this system (4000 per hour) is still fairly great compared to the bus you need a bus (assuming 60 per bus) a minute (loaded not just showing up) to compete with this system. Now if you take that and split it among the 4 resorts you need a bus to each resort on average of 4 minutes, something that I suspect Disney only maintains for emptying a park for 4-5 buses deep for large resorts like Pop, CBR, or Art. So overall the Skyliner is running at 4 buses a minute for each of the 4 resorts on the line all day long; thus it is inherently more efficient when Disney can not and does not maintain that level of service for the buses throughout the day. They do 15-30 mins mostly between buses.

Now the question to be asked will this system encourage people at Pop, Art, and CBR to rely less on cars and take transportation to get around to the parks, thus increasing the demand on the transportation system at Disney. That is a legitimate question, but overall I maintain that it will be more efficient than buses.

My only concern with the system is will Disney allow it run through rain (lightning events) and what wind events will it stop. But considering these are tried and tested to be used in high altitude environments (and just as storm prone) I suspect the answer is yes. I don't see Disney shutting them down for frequent events (maybe 10 year events) those that chose not to ride it can take other transportation. I do not expect these to shut down as much as the boats. These are fully grounded in the event of lightning and I suspect the gondola itself functions as a faraday cage.

My only concern with the system is will Disney allow it run through rain (lightning events) and what wind events will it stop. But considering these are tried and tested to be used in high altitude environments (and just as storm prone) I suspect the answer is yes. I don't see Disney shutting them down for frequent events (maybe 10 year events) those that chose not to ride it can take other transportation. I do not expect these to shut down as much as the boats. These are fully grounded in the event of lightning and I suspect the gondola itself functions as a faraday cage.

Rain should be irrelevant, gondolas run in rain and snow all the time. Then Orlando doesn’t really have much of a wind issue outside of Hurricanes. Gondolas can generally withstand 30-40 sustained with larger gusts. I’ve be in some with 70mph winds with no issue, depends on how it’s hitting.

Lightning will probably be treated the same as the boats.

Exact specifics is all guess work until it happens.

Rain should be irrelevant, gondolas run in rain and snow all the time. Then Orlando doesn’t really have much of a wind issue outside of Hurricanes. Gondolas can generally withstand 30-40 sustained with larger gusts. I’ve be in some with 70mph winds with no issue, depends on how it’s hitting.

I actually think lightning will be irrelevant and don’t see a reason for them to be treated like the boats. The employees are under shelter (not docking a boat) plus the system is grounded. I also was saying my concern was will Disney allow it more as a PR issue. I agree they should be able to handle rain and wind without issue.

Should have been clearer I agree they can run it was a matter of Disney wouldn’t run them because of people’s perceived fears.

I actually think lightning will be irrelevant and don’t see a reason for them to be treated like the boats. The employees are under shelter (not docking a boat) plus the system is grounded. I also was saying my concern was will Disney allow it more as a PR issue. I agree they should be able to handle rain and wind without issue.

Should have been clearer I agree they can run it was a matter of Disney wouldn’t run them because of people’s perceived fears.

I’d see the lightning as an issue in the very unlikely case of an evacuation. That’s why I think it’ll be treated like the boats. But really it’s hard to know until they’re running.

I wouldn’t feel unsafe using it if they do run.

Last edited:
I think they'd be safe in lightning just like cars. But then I've also seen holes blown through airplanes by lightning (mostly pictures, but seen a couple holes IRL). So I'm pretty curious what they'll do with lightening.

Edit: I'd be interested to know what the cabins are made out off. Steel is much less likely to melt from lightning than aluminum. They are probably steel, so they will probably be just fine, I'm so used to dealing with aluminum all the time I forget most things are steel ;).

Last edited:
I think they'd be safe in lightening just like cars. But then I've also seen holes blown through airplanes by lightening (mostly pictures, but seen a couple holes IRL). So I'm pretty curious what they'll do with lightening.
I'm sure they will not take any chances...there is weather monitoring equipment on some of the towers..

I think it's as easy as saying the buses run on 15 minute interval times between time X and Y. Outside of those times they run at a 30 minute interval or not at all.
Skyliner could easily have a posted wait time like attractions, and also report as closed if something causes it not to run. Include it on the app and done.

How about when lightning strikes one of the towers, and shuts down the system because it fried the cable? It may be grounded so people don't fry in the little cans on a wire, but a lightning strike will still do damage to the system, including heating up metal enough to melt and fuse, or break.

If it gets stopped every time a thunderstorm rolls through it won't be working half of the time in the summer.

How about when lightning strikes one of the towers, and shuts down the system because it fried the cable? It may be grounded so people don't fry in the little cans on a wire, but a lightning strike will still do damage to the system, including heating up metal enough to melt and fuse, or break.

If it gets stopped every time a thunderstorm rolls through it won't be working half of the time in the summer.

"As far as weather is concerned, Doppelmayr says that a model like this would be able to operate in winds up to 35mph and that the whole system is grounded and safe to operate during lightning storms."

I really do not think Disney would build an entire new transportation system that has to shutdown almost daily during the summer.

"As far as weather is concerned, Doppelmayr says that a model like this would be able to operate in winds up to 35mph and that the whole system is grounded and safe to operate during lightning storms."

I really do not think Disney would build an entire new transportation system that has to shutdown almost daily during the summer.
It will be interesting to see if 35 mph is a structural constraint or habitability (when people get sick) constraint. I hope Disney decides to run it then if truly safe (doesn’t trip the system electronics if stuck). From a life safety perspective being in a Faraday cage is safe so if probably grounded I see no reason it couldn’t run.

Last edited:
I'm sure they will not take any chances...there is weather monitoring equipment on some of the towers..
There always are on gondolas, because there is a maximum wind speed they are allowed to operate in. It wouldn't surprise me if there were also lightning detectors, but I don't remember seeing them.

Last edited:

If the system is properly grounded and bonded lightning shouldn't hurt anything. Basically everything is steel so there isn't going to be melting or fusing.

The average airliner is hit by lightning a couple of times and year and most of the time no one knows until it goes into routine maintenance and the marks are found. I worked on one plane that had been hit 150 times (based on the number of marks) in one flight and it caused no issues. Buildings and power lines are hit all the time too.

Even if they shutdown the system during lightning, I highly doubt they'd do a structural inspection of any lightning strikes before it reopens. Probably the biggest risk is lightning hitting the communication lines directly and taking them out, but considering they are mounted to a grounded wire, that type of hit will be rare.

It’s daily but also only for short periods. If it was a larger amount of time they wouldn’t keep building outdoor attractions that have to close during lightning.

How about when lightning strikes one of the towers, and shuts down the system because it fried the cable?
Try finding a news story where a gondola system with an industrial lightning protection and prevention system installed was shut down by a lightning strike. I couldn't find one.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were also lightning detectors, but I don't remember seeing them.
Don't know why they would need them. I have a cell phone app that can show in real time where lighting is anywhere on the planet. I expect they would have a beefier version of that.

I think they'd be safe in lightning just like cars. But then I've also seen holes blown through airplanes by lightning (mostly pictures, but seen a couple holes IRL). So I'm pretty curious what they'll do with lightening.

Edit: I'd be interested to know what the cabins are made out off. Steel is much less likely to melt from lightning than aluminum. They are probably steel, so they will probably be just fine, I'm so used to dealing with aluminum all the time I forget most things are steel ;).
There are lighting arrestors on the towers and the guideways. Above the actual haul ropes there is a static wire which is there for lightning protection purposes. It works the same as the big high-tension power lines you see all over the country.

There are lighting arrestors on the towers and the guideways. Above the actual haul ropes there is a static wire which is there for lightning protection purposes. It works the same as the big high-tension power lines you see all over the country.
I know. However lightning can still hit other parts of the system, just like it does on high voltage power lines. Lightning protection massively reduces the risk, but doesn't completely eliminate it.

But like I said, I had aluminum in my head when I was thinking about burn through. I'm sure these are steel and it wouldn't be an issue even if they took a direct hit.

One thing I've wondered is if the haul rope is grounded at each tower. I think the sheaves all have a poly insert so it wouldn't be grounded just from contact with the sheaves. They could have a brush to rub the wire to ground it or maybe the sheave insert is conductive. I'm sure it is grounded at the towers, I'm just curious how.

Last edited:
Don't know why they would need them. I have a cell phone app that can show in real time where lighting is anywhere on the planet. I expect they would have a beefier version of that.
Most parks have their own lightning detectors just like they have their own anemometers to get real time, immediately local weather that can be tied directly into their warning systems. Most online "real time" data is actually delayed a few minutes and it would be hard to tie into a local warning system.

Most parks have their own lightning detectors just like they have their own anemometers to get real time, immediately local weather that can be tied directly into their warning systems. Most online "real time" data is actually delayed a few minutes and it would be hard to tie into a local warning system.
My point was, I expect they already have a detection system in place that covers WDW and would not need to install one on the Skyliner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter