Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test

Thanks!

1) I'm not sure they're referring to the same test. The Bloomberg article refers to a 1000 guest test...but the June test was MUCH larger than that.

2) Given the sources (not to "besmirch" the blogger), I find it a little tough to believe. Maybe, but I'm not 100% convinced, all things considered.

3) I'd still offer it's not apples to apples, given we have no idea (even demo screened and sized) if the "control group" was using more cash, other CC's, or what. About all you can say is the MB folks charged more to their room. Especially if the "control group" was retroactively identified (which it would almost had to have been).

And the correlation as to WHY one group spent more than the other still could very well be false.

Maybe the MB+ users just happened to have a larger budget for this trip.....

Yes, it is available to all ticket-holding guests. In order to book FP+ prior to arrival, you will have to pre-purchase theme park tickets. The ticket will be linked to a "My Disney Experience" online account, which will then enable the FP+ reservation feature.

Annual Passholders will reportedly get a fixed number of days per year in which they can use the FP+ benefit. I think 20 days per year has been tossed around, but like all things that's certainly subject to change.

What remains unknown is whether Disney will choose to give more FPs to its hotel guests.

I don't know that they would lie...but without any quantification it's hard to draw any conclusions. Just buying a few add-on trinkets for the Magic Bands would technically represent an increase (all other things being equal.) Any fraction of a percent is an "increase", but not necessarily a sign that MB users are opening untying the purse strings.

You must have either a Magic Band or the old KTTW card to unlock room door and to obtain FastPasses. There is no mandate to use it for shopping.

Guests are not obligated to pre-reserve ride times. They will have kiosks in the parks where you can use the Band or KTTW card to obtain FP+ ride times. However, the paper FP tickets are being eliminated and the limit of three FPs per day will apply (unless Disney tweaks that policy.)

As a AP, I certainly hope this 20 days a year number isn't accurate!

Thanks!

1) I'm not sure they're referring to the same test. The Bloomberg article refers to a 1000 guest test...but the June test was MUCH larger than that.

2) Given the sources (not to "besmirch" the blogger), I find it a little tough to believe. Maybe, but I'm not 100% convinced, all things considered.

3) I'd still offer it's not apples to apples, given we have no idea (even demo screened and sized) if the "control group" was using more cash, other CC's, or what. About all you can say is the MB folks charged more to their room. Especially if the "control group" was retroactively identified (which it would almost had to have been).

And the correlation as to WHY one group spent more than the other still could very well be false.

Maybe the MB+ users just happened to have a larger budget for this trip.....

Like any kind of statistic, you have to take it with a grain of salt. I've always found baseball stats to be dubious.

"Joe Smith hits more home runs during night games" Maybe he faces better pitchers during the day?

Like any kind of statistic, you have to take it with a grain of salt. I've always found baseball stats to be dubious.

"Joe Smith hits more home runs during night games" Maybe he faces better pitchers during the day?

Funny, I was just having a similar discussion the other day about baseball stats.

Lots of reporters are calling from the rooftops about Miguel Cabrara and Chris Davis and their "historic first halves". T

Cabrera is the first player to hit 30+HR and have 90+ RBI "at the break".

Davis has hit 34 HR "at the break", second most all time.

What they then fail to do is provide proper context. This year, the "first half" actually comprised about 95-ish games.

Usually, it's more like 85-ish games.

Cabrera is on pace to hit about 54 HR (Jose Bautista hit the same number in 2012).

Davis is on pace to hit 60 HRs.

Both of those are impressive numbers...nothing to take away from them. But they are not as decidedly impressive as the factiods being pushed by the sports writers.

To link it all back...the stat being bandied around in the Bloomberg article, feels a lot like that. It lacks proper context. More compared to who, precisely? How much more?

Without that info...it just feels like forced PR spin leveled at investors.

Funny, I was just having a similar discussion the other day about baseball stats.

Lots of reporters are calling from the rooftops about Miguel Cabrara and Chris Davis and their "historic first halves". T

Cabrera is the first player to hit 30+HR and have 90+ RBI "at the break".

Davis has hit 34 HR "at the break", second most all time.

What they then fail to do is provide proper context. This year, the "first half" actually comprised about 95-ish games.

Usually, it's more like 85-ish games.

Cabrera is on pace to hit about 54 HR (Jose Bautista hit the same number in 2012).

Davis is on pace to hit 60 HRs.

Both of those are impressive numbers...nothing to take away from them. But they are not as decidedly impressive as the factiods being pushed by the sports writers.

To link it all back...the stat being bandied around in the Bloomberg article, feels a lot like that. It lacks proper context. More compared to who, precisely? How much more?

Without that info...it just feels like forced PR spin leveled at investors.

Here's a fun little thing for you to read.

http://freedomkeys.com/bread.htm

I understand your points. I am working through this from my standpoint.

In December tests you were able to pre schedule and pull FP. If I couldn't pull FP, I am not sure i would waste one of my three FP+ choices on the 9-10 am window. That would be an excellent time to take advantage of short lines elsewhere in the park. I would prefer to schedule my FP during the busy times when lines are longer.

And that's certainly your prerogative. Personally, I didn't give any consideration to the paper FP still being available. I considered our arrival time and the FP attractions we wanted to visit, and spread them out across the morning.

I think most people will figure this out.

I don't...for the same reason that not all people look at the "best parks" according to sites like TouringPlans or TourGuideMike. For the same reason people don't download the "most efficient" touring plans and follow them to the letter. For the same reason a lot of people skip both morning and evening EMH even though they are clearly beneficial.

SOME people like yourself will micromanage their trips and cherry-pick the "best" ride times and the "best" attractions. The vast majority (IMO) will simply fly by the seat of their pants. Just as they do today.

I definitely don't want to schedule any FP in DAK after the parade, that would be a waste.

You may think that it's a "waste" but that's only in relation to your own personal experiences. To many other guests--both experienced and inexperienced--an Expedition Everest FP for 4:15 has the same value as one for 12:15. Both are good for one ride on the attraction.

They either don't know...or don't care...or don't consider that their FP+ allotment may be more efficiently used elsewhere.

As for less satisfying? I didn't say that. I do think people will have to be on their toes and book early to get the best time slots.

But again, your "best" is not necessarily equal to my "best."

Given the fact that they have about tripled the number of FP+ experiences AND are (apparently) limiting all guests to just 3 per day AND are grouping the attractions, the system has ample capacity for day-of FP reservations.

The earlier times will probably go sooner on the day-of. If people are physically in the parks, makes sense for them to book a ride as early as possible. But it's still a marked improvement over the current take-it-or-leave-it approach.

This whole thing works extremely well for TSMM and soarin. everything else is about a wash.

Not sure what you mean by a "wash." I think there are many benefits for all parks and most experiences...particularly for the late-risers and those who don't plan to spend an entire day in a park. If I have plans to arrive at Hollywood Studios around dinner time, being able to schedule Rock N Rollercoaster at 6pm, Star Tours at 7pm and Fantasmic at 8pm is very beneficial.

Personally, I won't be grabbing any FPs for Haunted Mansion or MuppetVision. And I do still think 3 FPs per day is 1-2 short of optimal. But in most other respects, I view this as a vast improvement.

And that's certainly your prerogative. Personally, I didn't give any consideration to the paper FP still being available. I considered our arrival time and the FP attractions we wanted to visit, and spread them out across the morning.

I don't...for the same reason that not all people look at the "best parks" according to sites like TouringPlans or TourGuideMike. For the same reason people don't download the "most efficient" touring plans and follow them to the letter. For the same reason a lot of people skip both morning and evening EMH even though they are clearly beneficial.

SOME people like yourself will micromanage their trips and cherry-pick the "best" ride times and the "best" attractions. The vast majority (IMO) will simply fly by the seat of their pants. Just as they do today.

You may think that it's a "waste" but that's only in relation to your own personal experiences. To many other guests--both experienced and inexperienced--an Expedition Everest FP for 4:15 has the same value as one for 12:15. Both are good for one ride on the attraction.

They either don't know...or don't care...or don't consider that their FP+ allotment may be more efficiently used elsewhere.

But again, your "best" is not necessarily equal to my "best."

Given the fact that they have about tripled the number of FP+ experiences AND are (apparently) limiting all guests to just 3 per day AND are grouping the attractions, the system has ample capacity for day-of FP reservations.

The earlier times will probably go sooner on the day-of. If people are physically in the parks, makes sense for them to book a ride as early as possible. But it's still a marked improvement over the current take-it-or-leave-it approach.

Not sure what you mean by a "wash." I think there are many benefits for all parks and most experiences...particularly for the late-risers and those who don't plan to spend an entire day in a park. If I have plans to arrive at Hollywood Studios around dinner time, being able to schedule Rock N Rollercoaster at 6pm, Star Tours at 7pm and Fantasmic at 8pm is very beneficial.

Personally, I won't be grabbing any FPs for Haunted Mansion or MuppetVision. And I do still think 3 FPs per day is 1-2 short of optimal. But in most other respects, I view this as a vast improvement.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I always enjoy reading your thoughtful responses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter