Disney Revival April 2021 Exercise Thread

For thinking I knew a lot about Frozen (DD had me watch it several times) I only got 12/31 right.

March 16th -- 30
March 17th -- 0
March 18th -- 50
March 19th -- 75
March 20th -- 46

Total -- 839/1800

I need 96.1 minutes a day to hit my goal. I am not sure I will make it but I will try to get as close as I can to the goal.

Disney animation took a break in 2015, but then released two films in 2016. The first of those was Zootopia, a buddy film set in a city of anthropomorphic mammals. Rookie rabbit cop Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin) teams up with con-artist fox Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) to find out why numerous citizens have gone missing. Other voice actors include Idris Elba as an African buffalo who is chief of police and Shakira as Gazelle, a Thomson's Gazelle who is a famous pop star. (Shakira also voices Gazelle in Spanish dubs, both for Spain and Latin America.)

In addition to winning the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, Zootopia grossed over $1 billion worldwide. Even so, it was only the fourth highest grossing film in 2016. (Notably, the top five that year were all Disney/Pixar projects--Captain America: Civil War, Rogue One, and Finding Dory in the first three spots, then Zootopia, then The Jungle Book.)

For Zootopia, Disney made great strides in animating fur, because what they had used for Bolt just wouldn't do! The iGroom software program the studio developed let them create a great variety of mammalian characters. Judy and Nick each had about 2.5 million hairs (compared to 400,000 for Elsa in Frozen!).

In some countries, the film was retitled. Do you know the alternative titles?

Zootropolis and Zoomania

Last edited:
So I had a little problem where my car picked up two nails in two different tires after my hike... sigh. It threw my life into a tizzy for a few days, so here are my updates (according to my fitbit):

4/16: 25 minutes (walked into town to get a lobster roll, it tasted like summer *bliss*)
4/19: 51 minutes (long hike in the woods + walking home from flat tire repair :sad:)
4/20: 35 minutes (just a boring walk, but I planned a trip to Disneyland the whole time, so that rocked)
4/21: 28 minutes, 1.26 miles walk (more Disney trip planning!)

472/500 -- I might actually make my goal for the first time since I joined y'all!

So I had a little problem where my car picked up two nails in two different tires after my hike... sigh. It threw my life into a tizzy for a few days, so here are my updates (according to my fitbit):

4/16: 25 minutes (walked into town to get a lobster roll, it tasted like summer *bliss*)
4/19: 51 minutes (long hike in the woods + walking home from flat tire repair :sad:)
4/20: 35 minutes (just a boring walk, but I planned a trip to Disneyland the whole time, so that rocked)
4/21: 28 minutes, 1.26 miles walk (more Disney trip planning!)

472/500 -- I might actually make my goal for the first time since I joined y'all!
I'm liking your minutes and being close to goal - not the nails in the tires. That's not a fun end to the hike.

Disney animation took a break in 2015, but then released two films in 2016. The first of those was Zootopia, a buddy film set in a city of anthropomorphic mammals. Rookie rabbit cop Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin) teams up with con-artist fox Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) to find out why numerous citizens have gone missing. Other voice actors include Idris Elba as an African buffalo who is chief of police and Shakira as Gazelle, a Thomson's Gazelle who is a famous pop star. (Shakira also voices Gazelle in Spanish dubs, both for Spain and Latin America.)

In addition to winning the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, Zootopia grossed over $1 billion worldwide. Even so, it was only the fourth highest grossing film in 2016. (Notably, the top five that year were all Disney/Pixar projects--Captain America: Civil War, Rogue One, and Finding Dory in the first three spots, then Zootopia, then The Jungle Book.)

For Zootopia, Disney made great strides in animating fur, because what they had used for Bolt just wouldn't do! The iGroom software program the studio developed let them create a great variety of mammalian characters. Judy and Nick each had about 2.5 million hairs (compared to 400,000 for Elsa in Frozen!).

In some countries, the film was retitled. Do you know the alternative titles?

Zootropolis and Zoomania
Sounds like I need to watch Zootopia! Impressive stats.

Disney followed Frozen with Big Hero 6 (2014). This is one that I've never even seen one snippet of! According to Wikipedia, "the film tells the story of Hiro Hamada, a young robotics prodigy, and Baymax, his late brother's healthcare provider robot, who forms a superhero team to combat a masked villain." (Baymax, of course, is this month's Blue character.)

This was Disney's first animated film featuring Marvel characters, which the company had acquired in 2009.

Big Hero 6 grossed $657.8 million worldwide and won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

Do you know where Big Hero 6 is set?

San Fransokyo, an alternate history melding of San Francisco and Tokyo
I watched Big Hero 6 for the first time a few months ago. DD tried to convince me not to watch it because she didn't enjoy it. I thought it was very good, though, and that it had some really sweet moments in it.

You only missed two? You are definitely a Frozen fan!
Yes. It has become tradition for DD and I to have a Frozen marathon on my bday since I have a winter bday. A love for Frozen is something we have shared since its original release. I took DD to see Frozen in the theatres more than 20 times when it was originally released (they certainly made some $ off of us!), and we always have to see the Frozen Sing-a-long show when we are in WDW. Between the original, the shorts, bonus segments, and now Frozen 2, we have quite a long day of together time, and that's the best present I could have! :lovestruc

Congratulations to Raya for reaching Wreck-It Ralph Red and to Twilight Sparkle for reaching Piglet Pink!

Zootopia was quite popular in China, becoming its largest-grossing animated film. In early 2019, just in time for Lunar New Year, Disney announced that Shanghai Disney park would be expanded with an eighth land, Zootopia Land. Construction started in 2019, and, although there was a break due to the pandemic in 2020, it has since resumed. The concept art is impressive!

Oooooohhhhh you in for a treat, it's the best! We watch it about once a month and the "Try Everything" song is my personal anthem!

You inspired me to go look up "Try Everything" and it turns out I actually know it, without knowing where it came from. It was included in the Touch of Disney soundtrack!

And here's Shakira's official video with clips from Zootopia:

Disney's second animated release of 2016 was Moana. Moana tells the story of a Polynesian girl (voiced by Auli'i Cravalho) who must reunite a relic with the goddess Te Fiti. The film grossed over $690 million worldwide.

Moana topped Frozen in the number of versions -- it was dubbed into 45 languages originally, with 6 more versions added later. One of the versions was the Tahitian language; it was the first motion picture fully dubbed in that language. The Tahaitian dubbed version was made available for schools and institutions, but was not put on public sale.

In many European countries, the film (and character) were renamed Vaiana due to trademark issues. And in Italy, the film was renamed Oceania (speculation has it to avoid confusion with a famous Italian adult film star, Moana Pozzi).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter