Disney Revival April 2021 Exercise Thread

sophy1996

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the April 2021 exercise thread! This month we're going to take a look at the movies of the Disney Revival Era (2008-present).

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since April has 30 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 450
20 minutes/day = 600
30 minutes/day = 900
45 minutes/day = 1350
1 hour/day = 1800

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Baymax Blue
25% - Olaf Orange
50% - Princess Tiana Purple
75% - Piglet Pink
90% - Wreck-It Ralph Red
100% - Gothel Green

We’re officially starting this challenge on April 1, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:

Elizabeth Smith - 650/650
piglet1979 - 839/1800
PollyannaMom - 400/500
Raya - 526/500
sophy1996 - 1200/1200

swissfamilyrobinson - 390/600
Twilight Sparkle - 3295/2500

Team Total - 7300//7750 94.1%

Last edited:

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to April!

Just a bit of background to the Revival Era. After the Renaissance Era of 1989 to 1999, Disney entered a bit of a drought with its animated films. The exception was Lilo & Stitch, which was released in 2002. That film needed to take place in a remote, non-urban location, so the creators obviously thought of . . . Kansas? Actually, yes. Then Chris Sanders happened to see Hawaii on a map and thought how small and finite it was. Switching the location to Kauai indelibly influenced the development of the story.

Remember, too, that from 1999 to 2008, Pixar was churning out the hits -- Toy Story 2 (1999), Monsters, Inc. (2001), Finding Nemo (2003), The Incredibles (2004), Cars (2006), Ratatouille (2007), and WALL-E (2008). It was in 2005 that Bob Iger, watching a parade at the brand-new Hong Kong Disneyland, realized that Disney needed to buy Pixar, because the more recent characters were all from Pixar rather than Disney.

After the animation drought of the early 2000s, Disney released the first film of the Revival Era in 2008. Bolt is the story of a television-star dog who believes he truly has superpowers. When he is separated from his girl and ends up across the country, he has to make his way back home, finding new friends along the way.

What well-known star provided the voice of Bolt?

John Travolta

How about the voice of Bolt's girl, Penny?

Miley Cyrus

The answers are below the questions. Just click on the smudgy cloud -- the inline spoiler feature. (For some reason, the standalone spoiler feature wouldn't work for me today.)
Oops! I’ll have to let them know about John Travolta. I didn’t know what that smudgy cloud was and didn’t click on it til I saw your reply. Makes sense and that’s a neat feature!

Welcome back, everyone! I don't know about you, but I'm suffering a bit from withdrawal from Disboards being down for awhile!

Congratulations to piglet1979 and me for turning Baymax Blue! :flower1:

Disney followed Bolt with The Princess and the Frog in 2009. This film, set in 1920s New Orleans, introduced Disney's first African-American princess, Tiana, voiced by Anika Noni Rose. It was Disney's most successful film since Tarzan in 1999, but it did not do as well as the studio had hoped. Sadly, using "princess" in the title made people think it was a film only for little girls (leading Disney to change titles for later Revival Era films).

Although Disney had previously announced Home on the Range (2004) would be its last traditionally animated film, it reversed policy with The Princess and the Frog. The film's style was heavily influenced by Disney classics Lady and the Tramp and Bambi.

If you're a Princess and the Frog fan, be looking for a spin-off to come to Disney+ in 2022. And eventually, you'll be able to ride a Princess and the Frog attraction at both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Which existing attraction is set to be rethemed?

Splash Mountain

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter