Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been researching other resort options and was shocked to see so many nicer resorts at a lower cost with no parking fees. There is not enough of an advantage to stay onsite anymore. My eyes have been opened by this greedy act.

With emh & 60fp+ offered also?
Which hotels look good?

I usually don't even look at offsite resorts, but I'm a Hilton Honors member and decided to look up the rates at the Hilton Disney Springs for the same dates that we are going in September. The savings is astounding! Now that they have EMH and 60 day fastpass benefits I'm sold. I can even earn Hilton Honors points!

That parking fee at the parks is nothing compared to what you can save and can get offsite. Convenience? I can leave MK at closing and be in bed in my suite before I would likely even get on a bus for any value and some moderates. And I don't have to stand waiting or riding. Last trip other than MK and a transfer day ........ we drove to the parks because it is faster and easier and no waiting around. Nothing else about my perks involves convenience.

The bubble is literally disappearing before our eyes ... when Disney starts nickel and diming my bill, when every room renovation looks like your Hiltons and Marriotts, when towers of rooms are built overshadowing what was once beautifully themed resorts, when dogs are wandering the food courts and pooping in the gardens, when strange men are demanding to enter my room with me uninvited............ talk about a burst bubble. :headache: And that doesn't include the shoulder to shoulder crowds in the parks because virtually no one is turned away, way more real world exposure than I deal with in my real life. Sadly Disney is crossing over from theme park resort to amusement park & hotel mentality.

I will assume you have never stayed offsite .... I do both, often. I have over 135 stays onsite, maybe half that offsite. Spring break, for almost half the price of what I was quoted for POP Century I am in a two room suite with some rooms having fireworks views (I can actually go online and choose these with no extra fee), bedroom & living room with kitchenette, microwave and fridge, beautifully appointed, interior hallway, laundry on each floor if I need, fitness center, arcade, shop, very nice and reasonable table service, free breakfast buffet that is amazing with cooked to order eggs and omelets, free evening reception with snacks beer wine alcoholic drinks, lovely peaceful pool and hot tub, outside seasonal bar, inside lounge, grocery across the street, close by dining ......... 10 minutes parking lot to theme park parking lot. One breakfast alone pays for two days parking for our family.

If I want more of a resort feel ............. I have had two bedroom, kitchen, laundry, balcony with fireworks view in Wyndham Bonnet Creek (practically on property) for around $85 a night, that parking fee means nothing.

And the list goes on ............. LOTS AND LOTS offsite. My one bedroom vs the one bedroom at AoA can save me in ONE NIGHT = 10 days or more in parking fees.

I get if you never stay offsite you can't imagine what you can get there is a better deal but there are truly places offsite that make it two vacations in one and leave you lots of extra cash to do lots of extra things or take another vacation. The "perks" of onsite simply go out the window .............. if you have a car or are close enough to utilize uber/lyft. Very few places would I stay if I needed their shuttle.

Me & DH are at the point we prefer to stay out of the parks and just enjoy the resort and Disney Springs. The parks are crazy.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Dear wife and I are not affected - DVC Owners, and we NEVER bring a car.

This new policy is VERY badly thought out. It really does not address the REAL problem of people trying to dodge parking fees for a day trip, by using Hotel Parking lots. NONE of these people park overnight - unless there is an unpublished problem with people sleeping in their cars.

Now – the obvious stuff that can go VERY wrong:

1) You will collect Parking fees – but what you bring in will not compensate the WDW Transportation “wing” for a vast expansion due to increased demand. This would be a classic example of corporate departmentalization – One department of an organization wins, the other loses, net effect to the Company is Negative.
2) Ever seen all of those lovely, scenic “off site” parking lots around a sports complex? Imagine if this became what folks visiting WDW first saw, upon arrival.
3) The action, combined with 60 day FP offerings to non-Disney Hotels, places Disney owned Hotels at a competitive disadvantage. Make no mistake – THESE will offer free parking.

Again - we are not affected. We are ONLY affected in the sense that we really want Disney to SUCCEED. The Resort Parking Issue has become a lightning Rod. It contains serious holes (example: Park Car at a Value, stay at a Deluxe. Park Car at a Park – LEAVE it there for stay duration). Now, these issues COULD be solved…. By vastly increasing Manpower for enforcement, and spending even MORE Money.

This entire effort is a classic example of corporate sub-optimization. Regardless of how WE feel about it? It's going to COST WDW far more than they take in. In theory, this is why Corporations have Overlord Management – to kill sub optimal solutions designed to make one department’s balance sheet look good, at the expense of the overall company.

What to do? Well, drive to your local Airport Parking lot. What do you see? Gate Arms, you get a timestamped ticket, you pay on exit. The overall issue of time based parking has been solved for about 30 years. So has the concept of Parking Validation. Swan and Dolphin already do this.

Again - All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

The wdw has now changed back to saying parking is complimentary.

NOPE:

Parking
Effective for new reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee of $13 per night (sales tax included).

Complimentary standard self-parking is available while you enjoy select dining, shopping, entertainment and recreation experiences at this Resort.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/resorts/all-star-movies-resort/services-amenities/

NOPE:

Parking
Effective for new reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee of $13 per night (sales tax included).

Complimentary standard self-parking is available while you enjoy select dining, shopping, entertainment and recreation experiences at this Resort.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/resorts/all-star-movies-resort/services-amenities/

Now all their webpages can’t keep up. Lol. Almost funny.

Wow, I guess the disdain for the blatant money grab was deafening. Amazing, I guess they got a lot of push back.

I fear that they haven't updated the website as the fees don't go into effect until stays that occur pursuant to reservations after March 21. Thanks to all that have listed Disney emails. I am going to send an email as well. We have annual passes and go multiple times a year. This likely is the final straw in a string of continued changes and disappointments. I am of the opinion that if enough people speak up, maybe they will reconsider? Well, I can hope :duck:

I fear that they haven't updated the website as the fees don't go into effect until stays that occur pursuant to reservations after March 21. Thanks to all that have listed Disney emails. I am going to send an email as well. We have annual passes and go multiple times a year. This likely is the final straw in a string of continued changes and disappointments. I am of the opinion that if enough people speak up, maybe they will reconsider? Well, I can hope :duck:
It was there yesterday. They have changed it back

You might want to add to this the fact that as of right now, there's no one minding the exit gates. In order to collect those parking fees for guests trying to game the system they'd have to alter the exit gates and probably add staffing.
They don't want to staff. They don't want to have a cashier at the exit. That costs them money. This is why the charge is going to be added to the folio, but still be complimentary to those enjoying "dining," "shopping, or "experiences."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter