Disney paying a “living wage”. Sigh…

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are a LOT of factors in this discussion, both within Disney's and not within Disney's control.

Disney isn't dictating the cost of rent in the metro areas of their theme parks, though they do offer some on-site housing for college program if you're cool with living in a dorm with 5 other people and still paying to live there.

Disney does have a track to raise their wages to $15 an hour but inflation got worse and it will be not enough again.

For WDW I understand the uncertainty of just providing more money when they have ~ 55,000 employees, but then again, raises are still a tiny fraction of what they paid for Fox...but increased worker morale doesn't move the stock price up directly (though overall morale with Iger coming back definitely HAS had an effect as well as the stock price, at least temporarily)

Disney is beholden to shareholders who ALWAYS want quarterly profits to increase endlessly no matter which company it is.

Redistribution of wealth is easy. You only have to look at how well the Nordic countries redistribute their wealth.
The truth is they don’t redistribute wealth very well. They take it from everyone and give it to everyone, and average Nordic person has a lower standard of living than the average American. Except maybe for Norway because they built lots of oil rigs off their coasts.

I like what appears to be others on this thread have and continue to make sacrifices to provide a nice life for my family. The one difference might be that my career isn’t super hard to get started in. However, I find that most will not make the sacrifices so they don’t get to have my life. But as I said it’s open to most.

Yes. And if you politely ask for facts, they insult you as less than them....because they CARE and you don't.

I get where people are coming from as those of us who had many entry level jobs have struggled and worked hard making sacrifices for our families/self to move ahead.

I just don’t like the notion that god forbid you tell anyone to work harder you’re somehow an enemy and a boot strapper or any of these stupid names you get called.

I get where people are coming from as those of us who had many entry level jobs have struggled and worked hard making sacrifices for our families/self to move ahead.

I just don’t like the notion that god forbid you tell anyone to work harder you’re somehow an enemy and a boot strapper or any of these stupid names you get called.

"Work harder and get ahead" is absolutely the opposite of reality for the majority of people. Some of the hardest working people are the ones at the bottom of the totem pole of society, in the sevice industry/sector (public and private), and no amount of working harder ever translates into making more money for themselves.

The concept of "I suffered and therefore so should you" is outdated and selfish. It reeks of martyrdom.

"Work harder and get ahead" is absolutely the opposite of reality for the majority of people. Some of the hardest working people are the ones at the bottom of the totem pole of society, in the sevice industry/sector (public and private), and no amount of working harder ever translates into making more money for themselves.

The concept of "I suffered and therefore so should you" is outdated and selfish. It reeks of martyrdom.
Respectfully but totally disagree. Your whole first paragraph is just a construct. A narrative. It's wildly unsupported by fact or reality.

And your second paragraph just isn't in anyway what he said- total straw man.

Respectfully but totally disagree. Your whole first paragraph is just a construct. A narrative. It's wildly unsupported by fact or reality.

And your second paragraph just isn't in anyway what he said- total straw man.

Have you ever worked a service job?

Have you ever worked a service job?
Yes. Burger King. And during college, I sold waterless cookware out of hotel conference rooms all over the midwest. I was in South Bend, Indiana 3 times before seeing Notred Dame.

The biggie though was I worked 3 years at a grocery store. Produce. Local #880 UFCW. I worked almost every Friday and Saturday night there during high school because my parents didn't want me working during the week. I couldn't play soccer (the coach asked me personally to try out) because I needed to keep the job.

Hardest worker I ever met in my life worked there. Pete Prcela. He was in his 20's, single, still living at home. They begged him to go into management but he refused. Just worked super hard, picked up as much overtime as he could, trained young guys, and never complained.

When he was 35, he left for a far better job, bought a house here in Cleveland...and a small vineyard and some property in Italy.

Nothing at all got him there other than hard work.

Also, I'd like to add that Disney is a very weird context to be having this conversation in, as they zealously promote from within based on work ethic- they PROVE the argument that you can get ahead with hard work.

Yes. Burger King. And during college, I sold waterless cookware out of hotel conference rooms all over the midwest. I was in South Bend, Indiana 3 times before seeing Notred Dame.

The biggie though was I worked 3 years at a grocery store. Produce. Local #880 UFCW. I worked almost every Friday and Saturday night there during high school because my parents didn't want me working during the week. I couldn't play soccer (the coach asked me personally to try out) because I needed to keep the job.

Hardest worker I ever met in my life worked there. Pete Prcela. He was in his 20's, single, still living at home. They begged him to go into management but he refused. Just worked super hard, picked up as much overtime as he could, trained young guys, and never complained.

When he was 35, he left for a far better job, bought a house here in Cleveland...and a small vineyard and some property in Italy.

Nothing at all got him there other than hard work.

So you did service work as a teenager. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter