Disney paying a “living wage”. Sigh…

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were talking about quality of life, and the poster responded with links to GDP per capita.
No. I said the US has a higher standard of living than the Nordic countries. You asked for stats. I provided them, then you tried to change the subject.

No. I said the US has a higher standard of living than the Nordic countries. You asked for stats. I provided them, then you tried to change the subject.
Standard of living does not equal GDP, which is what you provided. If you have a better stat I would love to see it.

Standard of living does not equal GDP, which is what you provided. If you have a better stat I would love to see it.
Several of us have posted relevant stats. You just deny they matter unless they’re “happiness”.

So freeloading equals happiness? Or waiting for the other guys to do something so you can have it free does?
I don't think you could see the point if I held it up to your face, so I'm done here.

I think we need to refocus on if Disney pays it's cast members a living wage or not or this post will get locked.

This isn't the argument you think it is. It just means the state is also under paying EMTs. Both groups can be underpaid at the same time.
Yes, that is one of my points. Lots of people MAY be underpaid. Problem is, the market currently considers both of these groups to be of similar qualities. Obviously, that isn't the case. Yet we have a crapton of Keynesians with so many varying ideas not based on facts that think they all have the answer.

Yes, that is one of my points. Lots of people MAY be underpaid. Problem is, the market currently considers both of these groups to be of similar qualities. Obviously, that isn't the case. Yet we have a crapton of Keynesians with so many varying ideas not based on facts that think they all have the answer.
The fact is jobs pay what we decide they should pay.

Basketball players make more than EMTs.

We value basketball more, plus far fewer people qualify as basketball players.

It is what it is.

What insult?

The larger point is that working harder and working MORE are not the same thing. The entire discussion is that no one should have to work overtime or numerous jobs just to make ends meet.

And also, in your story about the guy who worked so hard, it doesn't sound like he worked any harder than anyone else, he just worked more, and saved up enough money to buy himself a house. Good for him.

But did he really get ahead? You say he refused to move into management. So he didn't ever get ahead, even though he could have taken a management role and likely cut his hours down. This is not an example of someone working harder and getting ahead. It's an example of someone working more and saving up to buy a house that probably cost well under a million and a half dollars, which is the median price of houses in my area right now.

Let's remember in 2022, it's a lot harder for someone working a service industry job to do what this man in your story did.

I can tell you lots of stories of hard working people who worked so hard day after day, but they were still on food stamps despite it, and then died young from having broken bodies and minds. My father in law was one of them. But you want to pretend those people don't exist.

The same people who complain about a Disney worker making more than $10 an hour for such "easy work" are the same ones who cry and complain if they aren't absolutely served with magic and smiles 100% of their trip. If people think service levels are getting bad at Disney, wait until it's wholly staffed by people who are worried about making the next month's rent payment, you know because all the good workers have moved on to greener pastures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter