Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit I'm enjoying WandaVision more than many people, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I was *way* into Marvel comics as a kid, from the late 70s/early 80s into the mid 80s. And so many of those story lines around the most powerful super heroes (Dark Phoenix, Carol Danvers in all her forms, Scarlet Witch) revolved around her going crazy because she can't handle her powers and/or yearns for a typical domestic life or something like that. So maybe it makes me read a lot into it and also I have a whole context that I'm putting all of this in. I was done with comics by the whole House of M series I think, so I don't have any specific expectations around that, but just generally, the dangerous, superpowerful, emotionally fragile woman as a ticking time bomb. So I'm just waiting for that bomb to really go off.

DH was out of town when the first two episodes dropped. I texted him and said I liked it, it was dark and kind of sinister. He watched and then called me and was like, What are you talking about? It's a bad sitcom. And I asked, didn't you think it was weird that they didn't know what their anniversary was? Or the way she said, "My husband and his indestructible head"? He's supposed to be dead! And at least once she had to try to destroy his head! Like, it's this perfect world but clearly not. And somebody is clearly watching them so it's not simply a sitcom. He says he gets all the stuff I'm talking about, but there isn't enough of it, and if it's going to be a slow burn, it's too slow a burn. I agree with that, and personally think they got too excited about fitting in every decade of nostalgia and it grinds the plot to a halt for many people. Comic book fans are used to taking maaaaaany issues for a plot to unfold so maybe it's not such a big deal to them.

Back to what I was saying before though, the slow burn might be more effective if you had it in your head already that this is a very powerful being who is hurting emotionally and everybody is doing their best to appease her for fear of what she will do. I thought that scene near the end of episode 3 where Geraldine mentions Pietro being killed by Ultron and just her behavior after, when Wanda gets upset. Geraldine is pleading with her, "Please..." Like who knows what she will do but it could be really, really bad. There should maybe have been more of that earlier on, if that is what they are going for. People seeming more afraid or on edge.I admit I'm putting a lot of my own expectations onto what has actually been shown to us.

I admit I'm enjoying WandaVision more than many people, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I was *way* into Marvel comics as a kid, from the late 70s/early 80s into the mid 80s. And so many of those story lines around the most powerful super heroes (Dark Phoenix, Carol Danvers in all her forms, Scarlet Witch) revolved around her going crazy because she can't handle her powers and/or yearns for a typical domestic life or something like that. So maybe it makes me read a lot into it and also I have a whole context that I'm putting all of this in. I was done with comics by the whole House of M series I think, so I don't have any specific expectations around that, but just generally, the dangerous, superpowerful, emotionally fragile woman as a ticking time bomb. So I'm just waiting for that bomb to really go off.

DH was out of town when the first two episodes dropped. I texted him and said I liked it, it was dark and kind of sinister. He watched and then called me and was like, What are you talking about? It's a bad sitcom. And I asked, didn't you think it was weird that they didn't know what their anniversary was? Or the way she said, "My husband and his indestructible head"? He's supposed to be dead! And at least once she had to try to destroy his head! Like, it's this perfect world but clearly not. And somebody is clearly watching them so it's not simply a sitcom. He says he gets all the stuff I'm talking about, but there isn't enough of it, and if it's going to be a slow burn, it's too slow a burn. I agree with that, and personally think they got too excited about fitting in every decade of nostalgia and it grinds the plot to a halt for many people. Comic book fans are used to taking maaaaaany issues for a plot to unfold so maybe it's not such a big deal to them.

Back to what I was saying before though, the slow burn might be more effective if you had it in your head already that this is a very powerful being who is hurting emotionally and everybody is doing their best to appease her for fear of what she will do. I thought that scene near the end of episode 3 where Geraldine mentions Pietro being killed by Ultron and just her behavior after, when Wanda gets upset. Geraldine is pleading with her, "Please..." Like who knows what she will do but it could be really, really bad. There should maybe have been more of that earlier on, if that is what they are going for. People seeming more afraid or on edge.I admit I'm putting a lot of my own expectations onto what has actually been shown to us.

To me, we’re seeing a woman deal with the tragedies that have taken place in her life and we’re witnessing it all unfold into madness. Just as we saw Thor get fat dealing with his grief of losing his brother, his mother, his father, and his home. That took place out of sight of the camera. But with Wanda, she’s almost certainly going to become the villain in Doctor Strange 2, so you need to see it all unfold or it wouldn’t make much sense to see her go from an Avenger to big bad. People wanted the 1st episode to be 45 minutes and cover all of the sitcom stuff and move on. Well then it wouldn’t have felt like a sitcom and would have been pointless to have this story, or even the show. I see a lot of similarities of character development in Wanda to the Joker in the 2019 film, and Walter White in Breaking Bad. Both of those characters also had slow burn development in their characters.

I think not enough people did their research on this show. Pretended they knew what the premise was going to be in conversations, but never actually did the research. Through the information they gave us, the trailers and tv spots, none of the sitcom stuff should have come as a surprise to anyone, but it seems it has to some. They see an MCU show coming out and expect it to be an Avengers type show. It was never sold to the audience as that type of show

To me, we’re seeing a woman deal with the tragedies that have taken place in her life and we’re witnessing it all unfold into madness. Just as we saw Thor get fat dealing with his grief of losing his brother, his mother, his father, and his home. That took place out of sight of the camera. But with Wanda, she’s almost certainly going to become the villain in Doctor Strange 2, so you need to see it all unfold or it wouldn’t make much sense to see her go from an Avenger to big bad. People wanted the 1st episode to be 45 minutes and cover all of the sitcom stuff and move on. Well then it wouldn’t have felt like a sitcom and would have been pointless to have this story, or even the show. I see a lot of similarities of character development in Wanda to the Joker in the 2019 film, and Walter White in Breaking Bad. Both of those characters also had slow burn development in their characters.

I think not enough people did their research on this show. Pretended they knew what the premise was going to be in conversations, but never actually did the research. Through the information they gave us, the trailers and tv spots, none of the sitcom stuff should have come as a surprise to anyone, but it seems it has to some. They see an MCU show coming out and expect it to be an Avengers type show. It was never sold to the audience as that type of show

I'm really hoping Dr Strange shows up at the end of this show

I completely agree with @Mit88 but I feel that it falls on the Disney marketing department in a big way. For this to be the first Marvel release in over a year, and the first on Disney+, they didn’t do a good enough job of showing the masses what this show was really going to be like. For hardcore Marvel fans (like a lot of us here) it’s amazing, but for people who just like the movies it’s been a hard watch for a bunch of folks. I know my Dad and my wife have both given up on it already and they’ve seen all the Marvel movies, but they just can’t get into this. It’s why I’ve said from the release of this show that Wandvision really should have dropped all the episodes at once. I think people would have been able to get into it more if they could have binged the entire thing like a movie at once. The slow burn I don’t think will work with a show like this for most people. I mean, I love it, but I’ll be interested to see the streaming ratings over the next few weeks to see if it holds its viewers or starts losing them week to week.

I'm really hoping Dr Strange shows up at the end of this show

I’ve been thinking about this a lot.

Assuming she becomes the villain by the end of this series; she will

And assuming we ultimately see the exposure of the multiverse at the hands of Wanda by the end of this series. I can’t see why we wouldn’t at least see how it’s caused. And because Doctor Strange is in Spider-Man 3. What happens to Wanda between the events of WandaVision and Doctor Strange 2? Is she contained by SWORD? By Doctor Strange? How do you explain the reason for the multiverse spilling out not being part of Spider-Man 3? Unless they’re waiting until after the series ends to announce Olsen is in Spider-Man 3, even if it’s just a small part.

This to me is why this show intrigues me. There is a lot that this series needs to explain to lay the groundwork into part 2 and 3 of this trilogy. And I honestly believe they will. I think we’re still a couple weeks away from them shedding the sitcom stuff

ep 1 - 50s
ep 2 - 60s
ep 3 - 70s
ep 4 - 80s
ep 5 - 90s
ep 6 - 00s

I don’t believe we’re getting the 2010s sitcoms from what I remember hearing. But that leaves us with 3 episodes, and presumably about 2-2.5 hours between those 3 episodes.

But to answer your question if we see Doctor Strange by the end of this....Yes. Because it’s Marvel’s first show on D+, they’re going to want that cameo “no one” expected at the end of the show to tease whats to come

I completely agree with @Mit88 but I feel that it falls on the Disney marketing department in a big way. For this to be the first Marvel release in over a year, and the first on Disney+, they didn’t do a good enough job of showing the masses what this show was really going to be like. For hardcore Marvel fans (like a lot of us here) it’s amazing, but for people who just like the movies it’s been a hard watch for a bunch of folks. I know my Dad and my wife have both given up on it already and they’ve seen all the Marvel movies, but they just can’t get into this. It’s why I’ve said from the release of this show that Wandvision really should have dropped all the episodes at once. I think people would have been able to get into it more if they could have binged the entire thing like a movie at once. The slow burn I don’t think will work with a show like this for most people. I mean, I love it, but I’ll be interested to see the streaming ratings over the next few weeks to see if it holds its viewers or starts losing them week to week.

I wouldn't call myself a super-fan. In fact my favorite Marvel movies are the Guardian's movies. I don't know much about the Avengers other than the movies.

I like this show because (imo) it's just great storytelling. It's great acting - from everyone. It's different/weird not just for the sake of being different/weird, but with a real story/reason behind it that is unfolding with each episode. It's just so smart!

Obviously you should know some of the backstory before watching this show, but certainly no need to be a hardcore Marvel fan.

Perhaps it will become like Twin Peaks. When that aired in the 80s, people didn't "get" it. Now it's a cult favorite.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot.

Assuming she becomes the villain by the end of this series; she will

And assuming we ultimately see the exposure of the multiverse at the hands of Wanda by the end of this series. I can’t see why we wouldn’t at least see how it’s caused. And because Doctor Strange is in Spider-Man 3. What happens to Wanda between the events of WandaVision and Doctor Strange 2? Is she contained by SWORD? By Doctor Strange? How do you explain the reason for the multiverse spilling out not being part of Spider-Man 3? Unless they’re waiting until after the series ends to announce Olsen is in Spider-Man 3, even if it’s just a small part.

This to me is why this show intrigues me. There is a lot that this series needs to explain to lay the groundwork into part 2 and 3 of this trilogy. And I honestly believe they will. I think we’re still a couple weeks away from them shedding the sitcom stuff

ep 1 - 50s
ep 2 - 60s
ep 3 - 70s
ep 4 - 80s
ep 5 - 90s
ep 6 - 00s

I don’t believe we’re getting the 2010s sitcoms from what I remember hearing. But that leaves us with 3 episodes, and presumably about 2-2.5 hours between those 3 episodes.

But to answer your question if we see Doctor Strange by the end of this....Yes. Because it’s Marvel’s first show on D+, they’re going to want that cameo “no one” expected at the end of the show to tease whats to come

I'm kind of wondering if she is the villain already. Like, maybe she already did a lot of stuff we will find out about later, and now this whole setup is just a way to tenuously contain her and appease her.

Can I also say I was surprised at Vision this third episode? I thought he would be just a figment of her imagination and totally not have a mental life outside of what she made. But it seems he doesn't know everything and is starting to get curious. That's not how I expected his character to go. I wonder if at some point he will confront her about this and insist he is dead and she has to let him go.

I'm kind of wondering if she is the villain already. Like, maybe she already did a lot of stuff we will find out about later, and now this whole setup is just a way to tenuously contain her and appease her.

I do think the setup is, at least in part, trying to contain her - but I think not because she is already a villain but because she isn't in control of her powers. So sort of protecting her from herself

But then Agnes will push her to take control of her powers to get what she wants even if that makes her a "bad guy" because she has sacrificed/lost so much trying to be good

I do think the setup is, at least in part, trying to contain her - but I think not because she is already a villain but because she isn't in control of her powers. So sort of protecting her from herself

But then Agnes will push her to take control of her powers to get what she wants even if that makes her a "bad guy" because she has sacrificed/lost so much trying to be good

“For the Children”.

I think that’s going to be where we see the final breaking point. She has this “perfect” life with her husband and children and is going to fight to keep it.

From the trailer

Wanda: This is our home
Vision: Then let’s fight for it

While it seems like dialogue from heroes, I think Wanda has already convinced Vision that in order to be together, they have to fight those that are trying to take it from them, and those that are trying to take it from them are ultimately there to help, not just her, but the World from her as well.

I still think Mephisto and Agnes will be behind the ultimate breaking point.

I can’t speak for anyone that doesn’t enjoy it, but I have to assume that with at least some it has to do a lot with what I said “Oh, MCU show, can’t wait to see 9 episodes of action and fighting villains” - watches 3 episodes - “This isn’t an MCU show, there’s no action”.

Yes, it does have a lot to do with the marketing and advertisement of the show, but I’m not sure what they could have shown that gave it the feel of what the show has been to hook the general audience and also not show too much to give too much insight and details into what may come. It’s also not really Disney’s fault that this is their first content in over a year. If the pandemic didn’t occur, from the projected schedule, we’d be watching Loki right now, the 3rd MCU show after FatWS (August 2020) and WandaVision (~October 2020). This style of filming in WandaVision is much easier to complete quicker in post production than a show like Falcon and the Winter Soldier or Loki, so I also think that’s part of the reason we got this show 1st.

Even the slow burn aspect, I still prefer it to be weekly. There’s no way I would have been able to sit down last weekend to watch the entire 6 hour series without getting spoiled. If it all dropped on the 15th, people on the West Coast would have seen, and spoiled everything before I even woke up. A lot of episodic nuances get passed over in content dumps. A lot of the details in these first few episodes thus far would get ignored for the big moments in the latter episodes. It’s also for subscription purposes. What would be the reason (other than the Muppet show) for people to be subscribed in February in the gap between WV and FatWS? Let’s just say 5M of the ~90M subscribers drop D+ Because there’s no MCU or Star Wars content in February. That’s $35,000,000. A lot of lost revenue.

I completely agree with @Mit88 but I feel that it falls on the Disney marketing department in a big way. For this to be the first Marvel release in over a year, and the first on Disney+, they didn’t do a good enough job of showing the masses what this show was really going to be like. For hardcore Marvel fans (like a lot of us here) it’s amazing, but for people who just like the movies it’s been a hard watch for a bunch of folks.

I totally agree. The odd thing is that my 76yo mother watched the first two since it was new on D+ and loved it, even though she’s never seen a marvel movie (other than maybe the first Iron Man). She said she laughed all the way through it, and wondered if I’d heard of it. LOL.

So, who knows? Maybe it’ll attract a whole new type of viewer?

I totally agree. The odd thing is that my 76yo mother watched the first two since it was new on D+ and loved it, even though she’s never seen a marvel movie (other than maybe the first Iron Man). She said she laughed all the way through it, and wondered if I’d heard of it. LOL.

I have never watched a Marvel movie in my life and I’m loving it! I can’t wait for Friday to watch the next episode!

Guessing a lot of it was because it reminded her of those 50s and 60s sitcoms, I love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Bewitched, etc

We love WandaVision. I don't think they ever marketed it as a typical Marvel movie. Everything I read before seeing it alluded that is was going to be unique. And all the ads I saw showed the sitcom setting. I will say they did not tell a whole bunch because they were trying to not give things away.

We love WandaVision. I don't think they ever marketed it as a typical Marvel movie. Everything I read before seeing it alluded that is was going to be unique. And all the ads I saw showed the sitcom setting. I will say they did not tell a whole bunch because they were trying to not give things away.

yeah. About not giving things away...that was news to me about *someone* slated to be the bad guy! Darn spoilers. Well I’m still along for the ride and we’ll see.

I wouldn't call myself a super-fan. In fact my favorite Marvel movies are the Guardian's movies. I don't know much about the Avengers other than the movies.

I like this show because (imo) it's just great storytelling. It's great acting - from everyone. It's different/weird not just for the sake of being different/weird, but with a real story/reason behind it that is unfolding with each episode. It's just so smart!

Obviously you should know some of the backstory before watching this show, but certainly no need to be a hardcore Marvel fan.

Perhaps it will become like Twin Peaks. When that aired in the 80s, people didn't "get" it. Now it's a cult favorite.

This is kinda me a well. I haven't seen all of the Marvel films but Guardians of the Galaxy are the only ones I'll rewatch. I gave Wanda Vision a shot but just not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter