Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a movie that was only 20 minutes shorter than Avengers Endgame (a culmination of 22 films) this standalone film had a ton of plot holes. In certain situations movies that leave interpretation to the film goer is a good thing, but in this case, it came off as incredibly lazy. You have a villain that was set up for 2 hours and had almost no payoff. Scenes that lasted 20 minutes that could have been done in 5. Just a mess. When is Patty going to have time to make the 3rd movie? I’m guessing Disney will want her full attention going towards Rogue Squadrons by the tail end of 2021.

We thought "Soul" was ok, but I thought it was a missed opportunity that they did a lot of setting up the impact he had on other people's lives as a teacher, but his epiphany was to enjoy all the small moments in life? Not that his purpose and spark was being a teacher and inspiring his students rather than being a professional jazz performer (ala Mr. Holland's Opus)?

Watched Soul finally. It was "ok" .. Glad it was on Disney+ because I feel it wasn't really "feature film" material. It was this weird nitch .. too deep and philosophical with not much comedy for kids (I have no reason to think my little kids need to or would enjoy the film unlike every other Pixar movie) .. and just didn't feel emotional enough (or "heart string pulling") enough for the adults.

For whatever reason .. Soul felt soulless to me . . at least compared to the other Pixar greats - Toy Story 3, Up, Inside Out, Wall-E, Coco .. even Onward (but I like Onward more than most). It felt like an overly long Pixar Spark Short. A great piece of art -- great animation, music and theme. Just didn't come together emotionally.

We thought "Soul" was ok, but I thought it was a missed opportunity that they did a lot of setting up the impact he had on other people's lives as a teacher, but his epiphany was to enjoy all the small moments in life? Not that his purpose and spark was being a teacher and inspiring his students rather than being a professional jazz performer (ala Mr. Holland's Opus)?

I too thought that his "spark" would be to realize that teaching others was his gift or purpose as he was thrust into a teaching role for "22". It felt like the whole first half of the movie was leading to that conclusion -- and then it just shifted gears. Did the ending change midway through development? The whole "just enjoy life's little moments" payoff felt off to me.

I didn't hate it, but would put it at the bottom of the Pixar rankings.

Was it as bad as Good Dinosaur, no.. and maybe I am not the target audience (enjoy music . .don't "love" making music). Onward hit me in the feels more because I could relate to it more (played D&D as a kid so I got a lot of the references in that movie).

I just couldn't see that movie doing well in the "normal" box office situation .. just way too deep and artsy for the general audience. That doesn't make it bad . .that just makes it maybe not a commercial success.

I don’t think every Disney or Pixar film has to be made for kids. I know many kids who did enjoy it but I also think that’s the brilliance of animation. It isn’t just for kids and something like Soul proves that.

Pete Doctor had some interviews that they did have several different endings picked out. Some showed 22 and some did show more perspective on teaching. I don’t have a problem with where they ended up. I think yes they did show he clearly had a spark in teaching he also was quite talented himself. I don’t think he lost sight of that and where he came from.

Just finished Soul and I absolutely loved it. I cried too many times to count.

I was particularly excited about this film because the main character follows a path that I feels so similar to what I went through between 2013-today (going to graduate school, completing my masters and my doctorate in saxophone performance, looking for a professional career, then eventually becoming a middle school band teacher). I actually think the movie went in the right direction. While I do love performing AND teaching young people, I also know that those two things don't solely make up my purpose in life. In fact, I am just now realizing that music, performing, or teaching cannot completely fulfill me. When I think back on my life and what brings me joy, it's not just competing and performing professionally or inspiring young minds.

It's laying on the back of my family's boat as a kid. It's eating pizza for lunch every Sunday with my partner. It's laughing so hard I cry. It's admiring the Minneapolis skyline on my drive home. It's the feeling of my grandmother's hands. It's staring out the window and watching rain fall. It's all of these little things that bring me joy. All of these things compound into an entire experience that forms my life.

It's so indescribably poignant and beautiful. Maybe it's not about finding a single thing that becomes our only "purpose" or "spark". Maybe we just need to appreciate every single moment we are given on this earth, no matter how big or small. That is our purpose. To live. And to find the joy in living.

Last edited:
I don’t think every Disney or Pixar film has to be made for kids. I know many kids who did enjoy it but I also think that’s the brilliance of animation. It isn’t just for kids and something like Soul proves that.

Like the parks themselves. They wanna show they can branch into all age ranges, not just focused on one certain demographic. Going all the way back to Toy Story, there are some jokes that are made that are funny for different reasons depending on the age of the person watching. Wall E is definitely not a “kids” movie. You’re seeing more maturity go into the making of animated films, not just Pixar. Big reason is if you cast a net for more age groups, you’re going to make more money. There’s a reason kids my age, in their 30s and even 40s and older rush out to see Pixar movies. The grew up with Pixar films, and Pixar has grown up with them. There are a lot of animated movies from the 80s and 90s that do not age gracefully along with their initial childhood fans. Toy Story is still a movie I watch often and enjoy just as much as I did when I saw it 25 years ago.

Quick question, is the Mandalorian Gallery show multiple episodes for the second season. They covered a lot there in that one episode, I mean, most of the big things at least.

Quick question, is the Mandalorian Gallery show multiple episodes for the second season. They covered a lot there in that one episode, I mean, most of the big things at least.

It seems like 1. I would like multiple episodes, but I’m not sure how they could make 20-30 min episodes from topics they covered in the first season gallery. Everything seemed to be covered in this hour and a half “Making of”

Oh .. I agree .. and I think that is where Pixar shined (and where a movie like Cars 2 disappointed).

I didn't consider Inside Out and Coco "for kids" either .. and it took us a few years before we showed Inside Out to my son (just waiting to be old enough to maybe understand it) .. we haven't showed them Coco yet either.

My point is that it may not have that "general audience" appeal for BOTH kids and children that a lot of Pixar movies have had. (Which is part of the reason they are so good and generally loved).

That being said -- I'd rather see Pixar make more of these style of movies (that brought them their fame) than sequels (even though the sequels they have made are pretty good).

I took from it that Joe DID find he wanted to continue teaching, that it was his spark. It was 22 who's spark was "jazzing" or just enjoying the little moments. I did feel like there should have been a coda at the end showing Joe teaching and 22 being born instead of ending abruptly.

I took from it that Joe DID find he wanted to continue teaching, that it was his spark. It was 22 who's spark was "jazzing" or just enjoying the little moments. I did feel like there should have been a coda at the end showing Joe teaching and 22 being born instead of ending abruptly.
I feel like it's open to interpretation since it wasn't spelled out. I think he was so set on becoming a professional musician, then not getting the huge joy from it he expected made him second guess it. His interactions with his students and with 22 showed he is a great teacher and I think he started to see that while with 22. But I think he's conflicted about it at the end still since when asked by Jerry what he will do now that he has a second chance he says he doesn't know.

I feel like it's open to interpretation since it wasn't spelled out. I think he was so set on becoming a professional musician, then not getting the huge joy from it he expected made him second guess it. His interactions with his students and with 22 showed he is a great teacher and I think he started to see that while with 22. But I think he's conflicted about it at the end still since when asked by Jerry what he will do now that he has a second chance he says he doesn't know.

Yeah, they definitely could have made it more clear. I don't necessarily think he takes the teaching job per se, just that he will continue to be a teacher and help others find their spark.

Yeah, they definitely could have made it more clear. I don't necessarily think he takes the teaching job per se, just that he will continue to be a teacher and help others find their spark.

I took from the movie that being too focused on just one thing - what you think is your "spark" doesn't necessarily lead to happiness and that is why those in the "zone" were so close to being a "lost soul"

So by seeing 22 be so excited with the little things in life, he realized that is what he was missing out by being so focused on jazz. I think this was also reinforced by his mom mentioning a few times about "Lisa" - and again, missing out on that connection because he was too focused just on jazz

So maybe he did go back to teaching and was able to appreciate the impact he was having there more, or maybe not .... I just took it that he was going to have a much more well-rounded life and not have blinders on

I took from the movie that being too focused on just one thing - what you think is your "spark" doesn't necessarily lead to happiness and that is why those in the "zone" were so close to being a "lost soul"

So by seeing 22 be so excited with the little things in life, he realized that is what he was missing out by being so focused on jazz. I think this was also reinforced by his mom mentioning a few times about "Lisa" - and again, missing out on that connection because he was too focused just on jazz

So maybe he did go back to teaching and was able to appreciate the impact he was having there more, or maybe not .... I just took it that he was going to have a much more well-rounded life and not have blinders on

I also think that Joe would be one of the guys like Moonwind who can zen-out into the Soul world and help lost souls. Guiding others really seemed to be his purpose.

Soul in my view was terrific, it was the movie that Inside Out just did not seem to reach. The open ending was the right "vibe" for this movie. Let the viewer decide how he wishes to continue his life. Does he stay a teacher, play with the band, does he look up Lisa? I loved the journey to get to the end. Unlike say UP, where the ending needed to show how the characters ended up.

Last edited:
Has anyone had their D+ subscription expire without notice or reminder to renew? Last Christmas we gave DD and DSiL a one-year subscription, which I assume they activated on 12/27/19 - because on 12/27/20 they started a movie in the afternoon, turned it off to do something else, and then couldn’t restart it because the subscription had cancelled! :badpc: We didn’t get any notice suggesting we renew for them, nor did they receive a reminder. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that Disney’s folks can’t automate a process that every magazine publisher can....

Ours automatically reactivated as I had my cc on file with them. I was not given any notification before it happened, I just saw the charge on my cc. This was in Canada.
Hmmm. Interesting! Since it was a gift, the only CC number they could have had was ours. I’m surprised we didn’t get anything encouraging us to repeat the gift! Oh well, they renewed on their own - they had just gotten home the day before from our family trip to WDW, our Christmas gift to them for 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter