Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Two More Original Series Get Canceled At Disney+

According to TVLine, the streamer is not moving forward with any more episodes of Big Shot or The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers. Similar to Benedict Society, both series had two seasons under their belt.

Dang I liked both of those

I really miss decent tv shows that last years but with the new thing of everything being made by streaming companies the quality isn't as good and the chances of anything lasting slimmer since they just spit out whatever they can and see what sticks but not much seems to be sticking.

I don't mind something that only has say a season or two if its good and has a solid ending but most of these don't since they are seeing if they will make more.

According to TVLine, the streamer is not moving forward with any more episodes of Big Shot or The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers. Similar to Benedict Society, both series had two seasons under their belt.
I didn't watch Big Shot, but I really enjoyed Season 1 of Mighty Ducks, even though I thought Lauren Graham was grossly miscast.

They lost me when they kept Emilio out of Season 2. He made the show for me.

It’s going to be interesting especially going forward to see how many series make it past a season or two…

HSMTMTS got four (I’m going into the next season as if it’s the final one as it’s HSM 3 inspired making it go full circle)

Mando has 3 (well 3.5 if you count book of boba fett)

And diary of a future president got three but that wasn’t even made in house

And I think those are the only ones to go past 2

🤞🏻they are able to let Percy Jackson cover the full series of books

That's too bad for the folks who like the movies. Now, you have to watch D+ series to lead into the movie. Marvel has become just like any other movie studio. That's too bad. It use to be extra-ordinary. Now its just common. Too much volume, I guess.

The flip-side of that is for us comic book fans this is what we're used to from a comic book series, so we love the fact that everything is connected.

As a comic book fan, connections are great when everything is good, but the MCU D+ series have been a bit spotty. I do think they have put out too much volume. At least though they didn't completely RUIN any characters like Marvel Comics books have. I can't even read books I might like on the off chance they crossover with the X-Men!
The problem is, for the casual fan who I would argue is the majority of the audience, they were introduced to Marvel phase one with 1 movie at a time. It was digestible, it could be followed easily, and everything was presented at once in one sit down at a time. At this point it's multiple stories being released at similar times and in incomplete chunks (series) so what used to be an enjoyable and rewarding investment of your time in the MCU now feels stressful and too much like work. Disney has created a pressurized environment with FOMO by interlacing the stories so heavily in each other and the more they add the more daunting it becomes to keep up, or even start it for the first time.

I really miss decent tv shows that last years but with the new thing of everything being made by streaming companies the quality isn't as good and the chances of anything lasting slimmer since they just spit out whatever they can and see what sticks but not much seems to be sticking.

I don't mind something that only has say a season or two if its good and has a solid ending but most of these don't since they are seeing if they will make more.
In my experience, the best TV of late does come out of streaming companies. Netflix's Stranger Things; Disney+ has had Andor, Loki, The Mandalorian; Hulu doesn't have high budget big productions that I can think of but we really enjoyed Only Murders in the Building. Prime's Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Rings of Power; HBO produces for both cable and streaming, they have GoT and actually most of their shows are great.

I think streaming companies operate similarly to networks in that lots gets greenlit but not everything moves forward. However, they have the added pressure to keep streaming costs low and get a big wow show that keeps people on their platform. So maybe that leads to big budget productions that are often pretty good and smaller shows that may get sacrificed due to budget constraints.

In my experience, the best TV of late does come out of streaming companies. Netflix's Stranger Things; Disney+ has had Andor, Loki, The Mandalorian; Hulu doesn't have high budget big productions that I can think of but we really enjoyed Only Murders in the Building. Prime's Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Rings of Power; HBO produces for both cable and streaming, they have GoT and actually most of their shows are great.

I think streaming companies operate similarly to networks in that lots gets greenlit but not everything moves forward. However, they have the added pressure to keep streaming costs low and get a big wow show that keeps people on their platform. So maybe that leads to big budget productions that are often pretty good and smaller shows that may get sacrificed due to budget constraints.
Supposedly Netflix uses a completion formula to decide what shows to continue and what to cut. For example, say they produce 2 shows. Show One has 1000 views, 900 finish. Show Two has 5000 views, 3000 finish. Show One gets renewed because percentage wise it's done better for viewer engagement. Show Two gets canceled even though they have more total viewership because it fails the completion formula. I think this is a terrible way to do business but it explains why such popular shows get canceled.

The problem is, for the casual fan who I would argue is the majority of the audience, they were introduced to Marvel phase one with 1 movie at a time. It was digestible, it could be followed easily, and everything was presented at once in one sit down at a time. At this point it's multiple stories being released at similar times and in incomplete chunks (series) so what used to be an enjoyable and rewarding investment of your time in the MCU now feels stressful and too much like work. Disney has created a pressurized environment with FOMO by interlacing the stories so heavily in each other and the more they add the more daunting it becomes to keep up, or even start it for the first time.

You are not wrong there. That is the curse of the comic book fan too. It's one thing to have everything connected, but quite another to make things mandatory viewing.

You are not wrong there. That is the curse of the comic book fan too. It's one thing to have everything connected, but quite another to make things mandatory viewing.
I think that is another reason why manga/anime has been more mainstream and in many cases is selling more volumes than traditional comic books. You don't need to read X, Y and Z different comics to understand the story. You just...read/watch from the beginning.

I do agree about the MCU being hypothetically different to approach for a casual viewer. Not everyone has the time and interest to watch every TV show and movie for everything to make sense.

I’ll just say nothing they’ve put out Series wise on D+ is really mandatory viewing to me for someone to still have an understanding with the movie side of the MCU. It’s just connected depth elements for fans to get more.

I’ll just say nothing they’ve put out Series wise on D+ is really mandatory viewing to me for someone to still have an understanding with the movie side of the MCU. It’s just connected depth elements for fans to get more.

It has been so far, but with The Marvels and Captain America 4, they are direct follow-ons from events in the respective series.

It has been so far, but with The Marvels and Captain America 4, they are direct follow-ons from events in the respective series.
Ms Marvel series just seems like an extended explanation of her origin (haven’t watched it yet), the movie itself could just casually reference her existence and bring that into play.

Sam got the title of Captain America in Endgame so this is his taking up of the mantle in 4. The series adds nuance to it, but not overly necessary.

TBD if Secret Wars has any major connection to The Marvels.

Last edited:
In my experience, the best TV of late does come out of streaming companies.
Apple's TV+ is small, but has a high hit rate. Foundation was good. Severance was great. And of course Ted Lasso was exactly what I needed when it came out.

I wouldn't subscribe to it as a standalone service, but we get it as part of our family bundle, and at that rate it's more than fine.

I won’t start watching anything now until it has 3 seasons because I get so tired of investing in a show only to have it cancelled.
I'm the same way with book series now, Amazon gave Indie authors a platform and so the amount of content exploded. Unfortunately I've been burned by tons of unfinished stories because of various reasons on the authors' part and I just can't be bothered to invest my time any more unless I know it's already wrapped up.

I won’t start watching anything now until it has 3 seasons because I get so tired of investing in a show only to have it cancelled.
It's why I can't tell you you the last series I have even watched. It's not necessarily having it cancelled, it's I haven't found anything that's worth investing in. I have only found two I have liked. They are Glow on Netflix and Jessica Jones which was also on Netflix.

It's why I can't tell you you the last series I have even watched. It's not necessarily having it cancelled, it's I haven't found anything that's worth investing in. I have only found two I have liked. They are Glow on Netflix and Jessica Jones which was also on Netflix.
I’m going to start white lotus since it’s gotten good hype and they are filming season 3. I like ones like Bridgerton where there’s more seasons but each season is it’s own stand alone story. I got into Succession on HBO and am looking forward to the new season next month, they really draw from Disney as the fictional company in the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter