Disney needs to admit what it is doing

binkee12

Mouseketeer
A few years ago, you could get a FP for parade viewing. You no longer can do that for Festival of Fantasy but low and behold you can book a Disney dining experience, and one for Happily Ever After too. I think this is just a way for Disney to squeeze more money out of people. Why cant Disney just come out and say "hey give us X more dollars for this view" instead of paring it with some food event and pretending its some magical experience. I am willing to pay for a better view/seat etc but I dont want to pair it with an event that costs additional money. I dont want to eat lunch at Tony's and pay for it and then pay more to get a good view of FOF. why cant I just pay for the view. I think it is because Disney doesn't want to admit they are charging people even more money to just stand in a certain spot and they pair it with some so-so food. I am doing HEA dessert and FOF Tony lunch, but i would really rather just pay for the view and skip the food part (and not pay for it).

I understand what you mean, but you could just find a spot to watch the parade an hour or so before it stars. That's free.

The only way Disney would do away with the food/viewing area combo is if people stop paying for it. You've already booked both (HEA dessert and Tony's FOP), so that contributes to the problem.

Disney is in the business of marketing magical experiences. Apparently a lot of guests like the food/viewing area combos, because they book them. If they didn't book them they would go away. And maybe a lot of the folks who book them want the food as well as the view.

The parades are still accessible with good viewing for those who are willing to wait for it. If all you really want is a good view, you still have the option of staking out a spot a couple of hours in advance for no extra cost.

I agree that there are far too many upcharge events. But, unless the park is exceptionally busy, it's hardly necessary to stake out a spot an hour or two in advance for the parade. You can show up in Frontierland or Liberty Square a half hour before the parade and there will usually be lots of prime viewing spots up for grabs.

No way am I going to pay for a view I could stake out on my own for free but I will consider paying extra for a view that comes with a meal or some other perk. However we don't do a lot of those upcharges as we just haven't found that much value in them.

I agree that there are far too many upcharge events. But, unless the park is exceptionally busy, it's hardly necessary to stake out a spot an hour or two in advance for the parade. You can show up in Frontierland or Liberty Square a half hour before the parade and there will usually be lots of prime viewing spots up for grabs.
Even when they are exceptionally busy.
We walked in the park on 12/30 at 11:30 and got a spot to watch the first parade over in Frontierland right at the rope when it stepped off at 11:45.

I don't think this one affects their bottom line much at all. Disney restaurants are not exactly hurting for business. It's actually a reasonable service that makes sense from a customer experience point of view. I don't want to spend an hour scouting out a good spot on a same day as I'm doing a 60-90 minute sit down meal. So they save you some time on the parade front if you go to a restaurant. As others have said, there's no issue finding a decent spot most times of the year even relatively soon before the shows. They do a lot of things for money - this is peanuts by comparison.

A few years ago, you could get a FP for parade viewing. You no longer can do that for Festival of Fantasy but low and behold you can book a Disney dining experience, and one for Happily Ever After too. I think this is just a way for Disney to squeeze more money out of people. Why cant Disney just come out and say "hey give us X more dollars for this view" instead of paring it with some food event and pretending its some magical experience. I am willing to pay for a better view/seat etc but I dont want to pair it with an event that costs additional money. I dont want to eat lunch at Tony's and pay for it and then pay more to get a good view of FOF. why cant I just pay for the view. I think it is because Disney doesn't want to admit they are charging people even more money to just stand in a certain spot and they pair it with some so-so food. I am doing HEA dessert and FOF Tony lunch, but i would really rather just pay for the view and skip the food part (and not pay for it).

But you're already paying for it. So, that goes onto the books as a successful upsell on Disney's part, and thanks to you (and everyone else who does the dessert parties and lunch pkgs), we'll be seeing even more of these in the future.

You're kicking the ball right into your own net! :laughing:

Me, I'm not a huge fan of the dessert parties, but I LOVE the meal combos. It's an excuse to book a sit down meal with dessert at a restaurant I might normally not eat at, and - for me - the reserved viewing location is just a little extra bonus. I'm more about the food than the parade.

Which is why I'd like to say thank you for giving Disney your money and encouraging them to create more lunch/dinner packages. ;)

I think this is just a way for Disney to squeeze more money out of people.
Yes - exactly this! I think people forget that Disney is a business and it is meant to turn a profit. So they did offer FP for MK fireworks (making no additional money), but they saw the opportunity to have people spend money for the reserved seating - pairing it with a basic assortment of desserts. Very smart business move. Just as tony's is one of the worst restaurants on Disney property - They have now increased the business for this restaurant by pairing it with the parade. I thought about doing the parade/Tony package, but with all the bad reviews on the restaurant we will try to find a spot to watch the parade and if not then at least we had a better meal else where. You don't see them pairing it with BOG or CP - because the business at those restaurants is already doing well. But Tony's was yet again a business move to make a profit. People very often forget that the happiest place on earth is really a business in disguise.

I am doing HEA dessert and FOF Tony lunch, but i would really rather just pay for the view and skip the food part (and not pay for it).
You are their prime audience - those willing to shell out more money to gain access to an experience without waiting and filling up their less desired restaurant. You are paying for convenience and getting a meal.

Disney will keep doing this unless the demand drops. So don't complain about it and then turn around and partake in it.

I'm the total opposite. No way would I pay just for a view but I will pay for some desserts that come with a better view.
I'm with you. I never thought I book it but we did the HEA desert party in October and loved it! I don't exactly know why but it felt magical and special.

I enjoy all the choices. There is a lot we won't pay extra for. And there is a lot we will. Great part is you can still have an awesome time with no extras. A little planning and the appropriate expectations go a long way to making magical memories.

I have zero issue with the dessert party/restaurant/view pairings. I feel it is more of an "event" with a restaurant or dessert included and I feel I'm getting a little more for our money. We've done HEA and the Wishes party a few times and we find it refreshing to get off our feet for a little and enjoy sitting on the terrace before seeing the fireworks. We also did the Star Wars party and, though it wasn't "great", my DH enjoyed it and it came with a little gift for everyone. With the ROL, there's barely an upcharge to get the show seating and with Frozen, you basically get an extra FP+ and a seat! I would much rather have my fireworks/parade viewing "plussed" a bit with a meal or dessert.

Just edited to add: with the dessert parties in particular, Disney also has to increase staffing to execute these events, whereas simply paying for a view doesn't put money in CM's pockets. I would much rather know my event money was adding to the CM payroll a bit than just simply adding to WDW bottom line.

Like OP, I would like to be able to just pay for a good seat to watch fireworks or parades. I do miss being able to get a FP for parades. Most folks don't want to waste the FP on a parade or show, but I'm a real "parade person," so I liked that option very much.

Oh, well, c'est la vie. Things change and we all adapt.

Sorry they don't do things the way YOU want them done. There are plenty of things that they do that I wouldn't pay for, and guess what, I don't pay for them. I have never paid to see a parade or fireworks, and have no plans to. You don't have to like the options they present to customers, but obviously someone does, because pay for them...in masses. People can easily vote with their wallet. If people don't like something they offer, they won't buy it. Then guess what...it'll go away. Simple business 101.

While I have never booked a meal or anything at Magic Kingdom, I do book The Fantasmic Package at HS every trip. We like the show, the preferred seating is very nice and we have to eat. In cases like this its just a win win.

I know Disney is a business that only exists to make money. My point was I wish they would stop pretending that isn't the case. Just say hey people if you want pay $25 for parade viewing area here too go. But that would be seen as too money grubby and turn people off. I don't want to eat at Tonys but I want parade viewing. Maybe I'll cancel that and see how I do getting a spot. If not I'm sure I can book Tonys another day last minute.

Have been to Disney over 20 times. Have yet to pay for any type of dessert party\viewing space. We have never booked any of the meal packages that include seating for a show (thinking Fantasmic here). We watch all nighttime shows and fireworks on every trip. I have never felt the need to do any of these add ons and we have always been able to have what we consider perfectly fine viewing of all shows.

In my opinion, OP, you are part of the problem you are complaining about. As long as guests are willing to pay for this Disney will continue offering it. Disney sells these options and people, for whatever reason, believe they need these options in order to have a good trip. Trust me, the average guest can do just fine without any of these! Some people add them because they enjoy the food, or they just enjoy what is being offered and the price is right for them. But no guest really needs any of these in order to have a great trip, or a good view!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter