Disney Just Bought LUCASFILM LTD. = Star Wars Franchise

pilferk said:
I agree with (and have said, in other places) 99.9% of what you said.

Just the bit above I sort of disagree with.

Portman, Neeson, Lee, Jackson....there are a good number of actors in the Eps 1 - 3 who have PROVEN they are not hacks.

And, for the most part, they were HORRIBLE in the SW movies. Which makes you wonder how much of it was their acting ability, and how much was the way they were directed, the dialogue they were given (using your analogy, Olivier couldn't have saved those scripts, IMHO), and the editing/filming of the shots. Oh, and the fact that the two "romantic" leads had absolutely ZERO chemistry between them...which means casting was pretty lousy too.

I've often said that green screen acting, as a whole, must be the hardest thing on the planet for an actor to do. No set, no energy, no context. Given all that, your cast would have to really mesh well for it to work. And at least with voice acting (where you basically never see anyone other than your sound engineers)...you usually get some rough-ins to watch or general context to work with.

I'm with you, though. Less focus on technical wowwie toy use and more on story and character development. And don't let George write one word of dialogue or offer one "insight" to an actor while filming. Creative consultant, indeed.

Lol...
By disagreeing with me...you are actually agreeing with me...

My point was that mark hammil was such a BAD actor that it was the worst thing about the originals...

Turn the page 20 years...and his acting looks good - in fact - compared to the "better" actors of the new movies.

It was the dialogue...and the horrible direction...and the pathetically BAD computer generated characters...
(Anyone else notice that the "fake, puppet" yoda actual had better interaction in empire strikes back than he did as a ninja in the new "advanced" movies? Because there was nothing palpable about him...no mass...no texture)

That's my point...horrible stories...bad lines...bad process...with better actors.

Just bad...and that is all on Lucas and mccallum

Lucas said a couple of years back in a whiny sniveling interview that the prequels would have been "four hours long" if everything had been put in...

So? Would nobody have shown up then? You couldn't have charged more?

It is a pathetic excuse that told the real truth: the movies were bad because the stories were bad...and he had no clue how to tell any of the story types he tried...none.

You'd think in 20 years you could come up with at least a coherent story...
But no...bad corny "humor"...kids characters that didnt resonate with kids...the worst "love story" ever tried...dead end plot lines...and no reasons given for primary plot lines...

Horrid.

After 3 days...I'm sure if it: Disney can't do any worse...and it's very critical to them for future revenues that they do better (and they and everybody else knows it)

pilferk said:
Usually, I'd agree about DHS timeline.

And May 2015 might be optimistic, I agree (considering that Avatarland was scheduled to be opened right around then...though that may have just changed all things considered).

But I wouldn't be surprised to see late 2015 or early 2016, given the Ep VII release date info. That is...if they're going to do it. They could very well put things on "heckuvarush" in order to take advantage of the PR wave they're likely to ride with Ep VII's release.

They might, instead, decide to shoot for something close to Ep VIII release (which I think would be 2017-ish?), but I suspect they want the theme park synergy sooner rather than later.

We'll see...

Disney has shown no desire to introduce themepark additions in unison with their movie inspirations for years...

The last WDW attraction that opened ahead or anywhere close to the movie was its tough to be a bug...and obviously they had to build something there so it probably wasn't a hard sell.

I don't see them rushing anything substantive into construction...not at all.

The seem to enjoy to not only stretch out the time frames...but to milk the "new addition" PR value to a ridiculous length.

Especially in Orlando.

This is a great thread, I thought I would add my 2 cents. I am a total WDW freak I am usually about the princesses an the traditional characters BUT I am also a bit of a Star Wars/Sci Fi (not avatar hated it) freak so I am excited about the possibilities this holds, Here is what I would think would be cool to do in each park

1)AK scrap anything avatar and make it a star wars type zoo with Ewoks, Hoth's etc.

2)MK Change space mountain into a Star Wars ride, of better yet Stich's great escape into one.

3)DHS I can't comment on star tours, I have never been on it, I get motion sick from simulators. BUT maybe turn western scene in GMR to a Star Wars type thing with Light Sabers etc

4) Epcot Turn Spaceship Earth into a trip through the Death Star

I am sure WDW will come up with something fantastic. I would like to see a Star Wars character meal for kids.

Now if only one of the parks would buy the LOTR franchise, oh the possibilities who wouldn't want to take a runaway train through Moria or boat ride through Anduin. I sound like such a geek, you would never know I am a blonde priss who only takes her high heels off once a year to visit disney lol.

This is a great thread, I thought I would add my 2 cents. I am a total WDW freak I am usually about the princesses an the traditional characters BUT I am also a bit of a Star Wars/Sci Fi (not avatar hated it) freak so I am excited about the possibilities this holds, Here is what I would think would be cool to do in each park

1)AK scrap anything avatar and make it a star wars type zoo with Ewoks, Hoth's etc.

2)MK Change space mountain into a Star Wars ride, of better yet Stich's great escape into one.

3)DHS I can't comment on star tours, I have never been on it, I get motion sick from simulators. BUT maybe turn western scene in GMR to a Star Wars type thing with Light Sabers etc

4) Epcot Turn Spaceship Earth into a trip through the Death Star

I am sure WDW will come up with something fantastic. I would like to see a Star Wars character meal for kids.

5. Now if only one of the parks would buy the LOTR franchise, oh the possibilities who wouldn't want to take a runaway train through Moria or boat ride through Anduin. I sound like such a geek, you would never know I am a blonde priss who only takes her high heels off once a year to visit disney lol.

1. No comment, except Ewoks are sentient beings, are you going to put them in a "Zoo"? That's just wrong.

2. Never ever going to happen, not going to change a classic attraction. Why just not replace all the figures in small world with Ewoks? Yea lots of people would like that.

3. Could work if it didn't cost too much in CM salaries.

4. How does that fit in Epcot?

5. Discussed to death here, supposedly Tolkien and Walt himself had issues so for this to happen the estate would have to go against Tolkien's wishes.

1. No comment

2. Never ever going to happen, not going to change a classic attraction. Why just not replace all the figures in small world with Ewoks? Yea lots of people would like that.

3. Could work if it didn't cost too much in CM salaries.

4. How does that fit in Epcot?

5. Discussed to death here, supposedly Tolkien and Walt himself had issues so for this to happen the estate would have to go against Tolkien's wishes.

That's why I just called this my 2 cents, wasn't looking for a critique or neg feedback.

As for LOTR I didn't say it had to be at WDW it was just my own personal wish list .

:lmao:
Hahahaha, I can see kids going around petting midgets/dwarfs in Ewok costumes! Or did you mean a different kind of "petting" for adults? :joker:

Disney has shown no desire to introduce themepark additions in unison with their movie inspirations for years...

The last WDW attraction that opened ahead or anywhere close to the movie was its tough to be a bug...and obviously they had to build something there so it probably wasn't a hard sell.

The seem to enjoy to not only stretch out the time frames...but to milk the "new addition" PR value to a ridiculous length.

Especially in Orlando.

I think you almost always agree with with me but still wish to appear more diplomatic.

I don't disagree but it doesn't make it better, does it?

Further, I just am not a fan of forced sequels. I loved, loved, loved POC but would think better of it if the sequels hadn't occurred. I know that I am in the minority thus wrong, but I simply prefer to see creativity set loose, that's all.

I'm not sure I follow.

Walt raiding competitors and other studios/art houses was something you would have objected to?

I think sequels are, at this point, a way of life. They invest so much time and money into developing (or re-developing) an IP...companies need to maximize that investment. That means, among other things, redeploying the IP into public consciousness every few years.

We are not the society we were 30 to 40 years ago. Our public attention span doesn't seem to have the length and breadth it did back in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. We don't seem to "latch on" to mythos for as long as we used to, and, instead, jump from one thing to the next. It's like cultural ADHD.

One symptom of that means that companies have to keep their IPs right in front of us, or they fade in popularity and income generation. SW is the perfect example.

There were YEARS between sequels...but if you look at Star Wars merchandise sales, they remained strong throughout...even as Star Wars (the original movie) had been out of theaters for years. Or, I should say, was no longer in it's original RUN in theaters. It was a summer staple, year after year, at drive ins and $1 movie houses across the country.

But that's rather the point. You don't see that anymore. This years summer blockbuster (Avengers) will, by next summer, have it's shelf space replaced by whatever big IP comes out NEXT year. That cycle continues year after year, and, actually, the time span seems to get shorter and shorter.

I'm with you: I prefer original IPs to sequels when it comes to films. But I understand WHY the studios do this stuff. It's a reflection of our culture, as much as anything else.

Especially in Orlando.

99.9% of the time (with the exception of the "character meet and greet", obviously), I'm right there with you.

But this is a different enough scenario to grant some pause.

I THINK (though we'll have to wait and see) Star Wars might be the exception. Mostly because there is 30 years worth of material already "in the bank", so to speak. They're not rushing to create something based on a new, unproven IP.

They're rolling out THEIR vision of an existing IP. It's more like opening Toy Story Midway Mania..which rolled out prior to TS3 by a couple years...than it is, say, something based on "Brave" or "Princess and the Frog" or "Rapunzel".

I can see them wanting to "synergize" that with the movie opening...at least somewhat. Again, I don't expect completion by the release date...but within 6 to 12 months? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

It's a smart buy, and I think its going to really benefit the fans. New films every few years? Great news!

I'm not sure I follow.

Walt raiding competitors and other studios/art houses was something you would have objected to?

I think sequels are, at this point, a way of life. They invest so much time and money into developing (or re-developing) an IP...companies need to maximize that investment. That means, among other things, redeploying the IP into public consciousness every few years.

We are not the society we were 30 to 40 years ago. Our public attention span doesn't seem to have the length and breadth it did back in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. We don't seem to "latch on" to mythos for as long as we used to, and, instead, jump from one thing to the next. It's like cultural ADHD.

One symptom of that means that companies have to keep their IPs right in front of us, or they fade in popularity and income generation. SW is the perfect example.

There were YEARS between sequels...but if you look at Star Wars merchandise sales, they remained strong throughout...even as Star Wars (the original movie) had been out of theaters for years. Or, I should say, was no longer in it's original RUN in theaters. It was a summer staple, year after year, at drive ins and $1 movie houses across the country.

But that's rather the point. You don't see that anymore. This years summer blockbuster (Avengers) will, by next summer, have it's shelf space replaced by whatever big IP comes out NEXT year. That cycle continues year after year, and, actually, the time span seems to get shorter and shorter.

I'm with you: I prefer original IPs to sequels when it comes to films. But I understand WHY the studios do this stuff. It's a reflection of our culture, as much as anything else.
No argument then. I too understand why these things are done but I don't have to like it nor must I believe it will always be this way.

Pixar, just a few years ago brought quality and imagination first to the forefront with great success. Disney, no longer able to imagine anything bought them. They will eventually drift down to Disney standards but the fact that Pixar did it means other well backed dreamers can still do it too.

Peter Pirate 2 said:
I think you almost always agree with with me but still wish to appear more diplomatic.

Are you accusing me if being diplomatic?

Take it back! I'm offended...I'm as "diplomatic" as an armored cavalry division :)

pilferk said:
99.9% of the time (with the exception of the "character meet and greet", obviously), I'm right there with you.

But this is a different enough scenario to grant some pause.

I THINK (though we'll have to wait and see) Star Wars might be the exception. Mostly because there is 30 years worth of material already "in the bank", so to speak. They're not rushing to create something based on a new, unproven IP.

They're rolling out THEIR vision of an existing IP. It's more like opening Toy Story Midway Mania..which rolled out prior to TS3 by a couple years...than it is, say, something based on "Brave" or "Princess and the Frog" or "Rapunzel".

I can see them wanting to "synergize" that with the movie opening...at least somewhat. Again, I don't expect completion by the release date...but within 6 to 12 months? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I do agree that this buy is different...because they already KNOW the crap merchandise sells (star wars merch has been the top selling licensed material in 6 of the last 7 years...and the material coming out has been absolute crapola)...so there is more of an "immediate construction" opportunity than with the prior buys...

But I still need to see some real commitment to new construction at WDW and we haven't got there yet.
MK didn't need the construction - but got it for merch expansion...

Epcot is falling behind and needs a concerted effort again.

Studios and AK have needed more vision since day 1...and though they've been expanded...they are not worth $100 bucks a day.

For gods sakes...downtown is crying for help and they have sat on it in embarrassing fashion for 5 years.

I'm critical on this...I know. But I need to see it. All parts need more "re-investment"...and they can use Lucas freely to try and do that now.

But as I have stated before "Trust only the shovels" at WDW

I do agree that this buy is different...because they already KNOW the crap merchandise sells (star wars merch has been the top selling licensed material in 6 of the last 7 years...and the material coming out has been absolute crapola)...so there is more of an "immediate construction" opportunity than with the prior buys...

But I still need to see some real commitment to new construction at WDW and we haven't got there yet.

Studios and AK have needed more vision since day 1...and though they've been expanded...they are not worth $100 bucks a day.

For gods sakes...downtown is crying for help and they have sat on it in embarrassing fashion for 5 years.

I'm critical on this...I know. But I need to see it. All parts need more "re-investment"...and they can use Lucas freely to try and do that now.

Oh, I agree. No matter what they announce, until there is vertical construction (and not always even then..Witness Pop Century Phase II), there's no sure thing.

But this is different. We're speculating on likelihood, not certainties, or already announced projects. For sure, it's not a definite.

FWIW's... Here's my take on a couple of things above...

MK didn't really need the construction, But i'll be willing to say it got it for more than just the merch possibilities. I'm betting the increased capacity of the park (so they can cram more people in during capacity crowd times like the holidays), The addition of a people-eater (Mermaid Omnimover) to chew threw Fantasyland Crowds, and the addition of a tableservice restaurant (to use up all those "Free Dining" credits in the MK) wher also big considerations.

EPCOT..... Totally agree....At the very least, 'Futureworld' needs some SERIOUS help.

MGM.... I believe it had a decent 'vision' at the beginning, it just didn't have much in the way of capacity. It did however meet it's initial goal of a working studio with a few attractions for paying guests to visit. (and of course, back then one-day tickets were much cheaper than $100). Today however... It really does need some help. With the closing of the functional studio, The park doesn't really have the focus or vision it could have, and the layout no longer really fits the needs of the current use of the property.

AK... Totally needs some help, and i'm thinking/hoping that what they do with the Pandora Project will help fix some of the gaps within the park's offerings.

Are you accusing me if being diplomatic?

Take it back! I'm offended...I'm as "diplomatic" as an armored cavalry division :)

Lol! Only with me because YOU know I'm one of the old-timers ... who is not trying real hard. How's that?:thumbsup2

smugglersinc.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter