Disney hurting for kitchen workers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some examples of that:

I heard about one woman in my neck of the woods who made $3,000 doing Uber last month.

When I go grocery shopping there are less shoppers and more Instacart workers. Their carts are filled to the brim Supermarket Sweepstakes style lol! Their cars are loaded to the ceiling.

I know a few people in their early 20s that worked in food services...

One left minimum wage at Popeyes to work at a gym for $17 p/h. Now she wants to leave the gym. Appliying for $18+ p/h. Interviewed at a salon and a montessori school for example.

Another used to work for Dunkin'. She left for better pay and hours to work at a nursery school. She also picks up hours at a dentist's office assisting with this and that.

Another mentioned they hate coming home smelling like the food and after years of it will never do it again. He went into an entry-level beer distribution sales job.

Another scored a job in real estate. Didn't like it. Scored a job at AT&T Wireless. Didn't like it. Now he's at the superintendent's office in an admin position through a contact he knew.

Another came up with the idea to highlight all their high school swim club experience to leave a minimum wage job to work as a lifeguard. They are at an indoor water park w/higher pay.

Another was formerly incarcerated and over 60 years old. Used to do kitchen work. He bought a pressure washer with what very little money he had left to his name, put flyers out and scored a bunch of jobs. In his free time he's been picking coconuts off trees and selling them to Asian immigrants at nail salons who love whole coconuts. Not even kidding. He also offers to refinish peoples' weather-beaten front doors in a day. All the work is done outside so there's no disruption to their home. They don't have to let him inside. And they love the results.

People are tired of the BS and they are out there hustling and job jumping until they feel comfortable!

I never job jumped, but I do notice the younger generation especially - they don't feel bad about it.

When people say "no one wants to work" it reminds me of all the excuses people come up with when someone doesn't want to date them or ghosts them lol.

In a lot of the cases the answer is "Oh they are working! They're just not that into [your company]." And some businesses aren't understanding that any more than someone in "dating land" doesn't get it.

BTW Disney Food Blog quoted Bob Chapek's mentioning they are still short on kitchen staff as of last week's earnings call.
Glad to hear folks doing well but fact is very few employers ar
Unemployment has ALWAYS been active. It’s limited to 6 months. You can’t be on it forever. It was only extended during Covid.
It is still "extended" only thing cut off so far has been the $600 per week supplemental pay ($31,200 per year in addition to regular unemployment) that was available for about 18 months in my state.
Unemployment has ALWAYS been active. It’s limited to 6 months. You can’t be on it forever. It was only extended during Covid.

the extra $600 was for only 20 weeks - not a year and a half! The extra $600 was from March to July 2020. Trump gave 5 more weeks of an extra $300 in September 2020, then $0 until January-August 2021 where an additional $300 was given out. Since then, $0.
Nope my state paid the $600 supplemental, where the funding came from I have no idea because it didn't affect me. Every business owner I have talked to about lack of staffing complains about the same thing.

Any business owner feeding you that line is lying through their teeth. People aren't at home doing nothing, they stopped working terrible jobs. Everytime we've hired during covid (entry level position), we have more candidates than we know what to do with. But we pay well, ask for reasonable experience based on the position, and have wonderful benefits. People want to work for us.

Here are some examples of that:

I heard about one woman in my neck of the woods who made $3,000 doing Uber last month.

When I go grocery shopping there are less shoppers and more Instacart workers. Their carts are filled to the brim Supermarket Sweepstakes style lol! Their cars are loaded to the ceiling.

I know a few people in their early 20s that worked in food services...

One left minimum wage at Popeyes to work at a gym for $17 p/h. Now she wants to leave the gym. Appliying for $18+ p/h. Interviewed at a salon and a montessori school for example.

Another used to work for Dunkin'. She left for better pay and hours to work at a nursery school. She also picks up hours at a dentist's office assisting with this and that.

Another mentioned they hate coming home smelling like the food and after years of it will never do it again. He went into an entry-level beer distribution sales job.

Another scored a job in real estate. Didn't like it. Scored a job at AT&T Wireless. Didn't like it. Now he's at the superintendent's office in an admin position through a contact he knew.

Another came up with the idea to highlight all their high school swim club experience to leave a minimum wage job to work as a lifeguard. They are at an indoor water park w/higher pay.

Another was formerly incarcerated and over 60 years old. Used to do kitchen work. He bought a pressure washer with what very little money he had left to his name, put flyers out and scored a bunch of jobs. In his free time he's been picking coconuts off trees and selling them to Asian immigrants at nail salons who love whole coconuts. Not even kidding. He also offers to refinish peoples' weather-beaten front doors in a day. All the work is done outside so there's no disruption to their home. They don't have to let him inside. And they love the results.

People are tired of the BS and they are out there hustling and job jumping until they feel comfortable!

I never job jumped, but I do notice the younger generation especially - they don't feel bad about it.

When people say "no one wants to work" it reminds me of all the excuses people come up with when someone doesn't want to date them or ghosts them lol.

In a lot of the cases the answer is "Oh they are working! They're just not that into [your company]." And some businesses aren't understanding that any more than someone in "dating land" doesn't get it.

BTW Disney Food Blog quoted Bob Chapek's mentioning they are still short on kitchen staff as of last week's earnings call.

Exactly!
All great examples!
Yes, people do want to work, just not at crappy jobs anymore. If you want someone to work a crappy job, you have to actually pay them something decent now. But it's so much easier to say "no one wants to work."

Yes and also, Amazon, and all the other new internet service jobs that didn't exist 5 years ago and don't require the hourGs and stamina a cook does. At least, I would think.
I believe there are different jobs that some have moved on to but there aren't more jobs overall than there were pre 2020.
Any business owner feeding you that line is lying through their teeth. People aren't at home doing nothing, they stopped working terrible jobs. Everytime we've hired during covid (entry level position), we have more candidates than we know what to do with. But we pay well, ask for reasonable experience based on the position, and have wonderful benefits. People want to work for us.
Great for you, glad to hear that. I am in a position to see many many folks every day (generations of them) that do in fact sit at home and do nothing. Guess we all see things from a different perspective.

I guess it is good for me because I don't have to complain to townsfolk that nobody wants to work the positions I hire. :cool1:

It is still "extended" only thing cut off so far has been the $600 per week supplemental pay ($31,200 per year in addition to regular unemployment) that was available for about 18 months in my state.

Nope my state paid the $600 supplemental, where the funding came from I have no idea because it didn't affect me. Every business owner I have talked to about lack of staffing complains about the same thing.
not true at all. Name your state. Federal extensions all ended on September 5, 2021. 25 states ended their benefits earlier than that. Not a single state gave $600 extra beyond July 26, 2020.

Nobody got an extra $31,000. $600x20=$12,000. And only for those laid off the entire time from March - July 2020. Sounds like you’re listening to people who are lying to you.

Private employers can't compete with government money. Government was paying, and I'm not sure if they still are or not, $600 per week. If a part-time employee is making $15 per hour on a 40 hour work week, they make the same as what the government is paying. What incentive do they have to actually work? This is becoming a serious issue. Eventually tho, actual workers will stop working and the government will run out of other people's money.

Wait... So the very same companies that threw people on the street that would have preferred to keep working are now complaining about government money they forced people to opt in to? Hypocritical for companies to rely on the government to provide wages for them, and then complain that people are taking government handouts. Seriously can't make this stuff up!

Guess some companies should have thought twice about furloughing and laying off their people? I mean... They realize you can't voluntarily quit a job and "score unemployment," right? It's only given when you're let go.

This is 2022 already. Many aren't getting government handouts. But I hope companies feel grateful for all that payroll savings when the government essentially paid wages for them. Disney gave Bobby a 14 million bonus last year. Maybe some payroll savings helped pay for that. Who knows?

But for companies to complain that the very same government money that enabled them to save on payroll is now is the very thing that stands in the way of making great hires...

That right there shows how much they don't get it. People no longer want to work for companies that don't get it. Either don't let people go (expecting that they'll crawl back to you), or do something different with your new hires.

On a related note, so many people that are still working got the shock that their bosses and/or "subordinates" (I don't like that word) were let go. So who picks up the slack? They have to. They are still employed. And they are MISERABLE. Even some employed people are disgusted. They just don't have the time to look for work because they are over worked.

Again the mantra for businesses to learn is "They're just not that into you" ; )

Many workers learned that companies "weren't that into them" when they were let go, or told to stay and do double work and they've survived. Companies will too!

Caveat: This is not representative of all companies. Some were ethical and cared about people. Some were shut down fully with no choice and actually wanted all their workers back. But many just used the government money furlough scheme to downsize, save on payroll, and now they want to have their cake and eat it too. Let's be real here. Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Food for thought. Everyone here, from what I've seen unless I missed a post, is going on and on about pay, benefits, etc. I know several people who have recently applied to DW in different areas and declined Disney's employment offer because WDW is still requiring vaccination for their cast members. None of these people are willing to get the shot especially considering the current stage of things and other Florida companies who don't require it. I myself looked at a part time supplemental at WDW and just like my friends will not even bother applying knowing they won't hire me unless I get a vaccine for Covid. Not happening.

Since anecdotes apparently count as labor market analysis these days:

Went to a local fast food place to find signs on the door that the lobby was closed due to staffing. And a sign on the drive thru screen that they were closing at 8, also due to staffing.

And read paper yesterday that same entity just had to settle with the Department of Labor over mistreating workers and violating the Fair Labor Standards Act by shorting pay.

Weird that you’re having staffing issues. Pay your workers more.

People, mostly twentysomethings and some thirtysomethings, don't want to work. Especially for jackwagon bosses who only care about their bottom line. Look at employers who treat their employees well and you will see a thriving business. There are too many companies that have "job" openings, but not "career" openings. I still want to know how the 20/30somethings support themselves when they don't want to work.?

Food and Beverage workers are united under the UNITEHERE local 737 banner. From what reference articles found on a brief search, the contract expires 1 Oct 2022. Wages are set within the confines of union negotiation. The last round of negotiation affected approximately 38,000. The next round of negotiation, which will probably start in a few months, could be interesting with the labor situation as it currently stands.

The Disney unions usually don't have the leadership to actually fight for what they deserve. I'd be curious this time around but typically it's the leadership looking out for themselves first and foremost.

People, mostly twentysomethings and some thirtysomethings, don't want to work. Especially for jackwagon bosses who only care about their bottom line. Look at employers who treat their employees well and you will see a thriving business. There are too many companies that have "job" openings, but not "career" openings. I still want to know how the 20/30somethings support themselves when they don't want to work.?

They are working. The labor market has more jobs to go around that the lower level non appealing ones will never get filled without a dramatic change.

I'm curious, how do folks who don't work (whatever the reason may be) pay their bills?

Multigenerational households are becoming more popular. Splitting those bills and having in home child care makes life so much easier.

There are so many new ways to make money especially with social media. We have influencers making hundreds of thousands a year and some even in the millions. People writing blogs making tons of money. I follow someone who has 10-12 kids. She stated she makes about 25k a month promoting products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter