Disney Genie announcement

I think one small change that Disney could make that I believe would greatly improve guest's outlook on Genie+ would be to allow guests to select their return time, similar to how they did with FP+. To me (and I believe others) this would be a game changer and hopefully help people feel better about it.
Yes and no, in my opinion. If this was the only tweak they made, it wouldn't change all that much. The available return times would start with the time you get now (first available) and then go later from there. So the problem of only getting a couple of rides--especially on busy days--and not being able to schedule more than one ride (if any) at mid-day would persist. And, just like is currently happening, by the time you would actually click through on a return time that is closer to the early end of the range of available time slots, it would probably be gone and you would get stuck with a later one anyway. I think that there needs to be some ability to select in advance (at least a day in advance, if they don't want to go back to 30 or 60 days and deal with all of the gripes about that). And not at the crack of dawn (or, if at the crack of dawn, only once per trip, not everyday). And there needs to be some ability to schedule multiple LLs in advance. And they need to greatly reduce sales of G+ (which, sadly, means increasing prices). Unless and until Disney increases ride capacity in a meaningful way, this is the best that they could do. It would basically just be a slightly modified version of Fastpass+, but with a significant charge attached.

There is an issue of "framing" happening, too. If you are buying G+ ONLY and comparing it to FP+, as in you should get your top 3 G+ attractions every day, then yes, it's not working anywhere near as well.

BUT that's not how Disney views this. They are seeing it your "3 ahead of time FP+" is equivalent to the two ILL$ rides and your first G+ attraction. So you are essentially paying ~40 bucks to get something kinda like F+.

But there are two problems to this:
1) You aren't booking the 3 ahead of time so it makes it hard to plan in a few hours. For Pantsers, that works great, cause they don't want to plan anyways. but for Planners, that sucks cause it only gives us a few hours to tweak our touring plans.

2) Disney is deciding what your top 2 attractions are, and you get to choose the third. So for people who hate Star Wars, they may just feel justified to spend ILL$ MMRR and then G+ for SDD. Maybe they'll be lucky and get Tower of Terror or Rock and roll Roller Coaster. but maybe not.

This goes back to Disney trying to micromanage their experience for people. I care less about the money grabbing than I do about them trying to tell me what is worth it to me or not. I don't plan on using the free Genie at all for this reason.

1) You aren't booking the 3 ahead of time so it makes it hard to plan in a few hours. For Pantsers, that works great, cause they don't want to plan anyways. but for Planners, that sucks cause it only gives us a few hours to tweak our touring plans.

2) Disney is deciding what your top 2 attractions are, and you get to choose the third. So for people who hate Star Wars, they may just feel justified to spend ILL$ MMRR and then G+ for SDD. Maybe they'll be lucky and get Tower of Terror or Rock and roll Roller Coaster. but maybe not.

This goes back to Disney trying to micromanage their experience for people. I care less about the money grabbing than I do about them trying to tell me what is worth it to me or not. I don't plan on using the free Genie at all for this reason.

Yes. We used the system for the first time this past weekend. Just me and spouse, we value the same things and they were fine with me scheduling the system. On our arrival day they thought I was a genius.

However, we have reservations for our 2 20-something sons + SOs in Feb when the parks will be busier (just before Pres Day). These are all late 20-somethings who haven't been since they were tweens. It's going to be hard to do any kind of planning because even if I can explain how it all works and come to some consensus on what rides they'll prioritize, I can't even give them any idea of what we "get" until that very day. Under FP+ at least I could say "this is how day X looks" and go from there.

I envision me trying to text them at 7:05 say "well you don't really have to get moving until X:XX after all". Or "we didn't get XXXXXX until YYYYY, but if you want to ride ZZZZ we should already be in line for early entry".

I'm being melodramatic, but it's a completely different animal trying to figure this out. We know (or believe) park hopping works best (we aren't all day at the parks people but only have 3 days), so that means we have to work around that too.

What's interesting is this appears to be similar to Universal's Express Pass system, but far cheaper. Universal's Express Pass is almost like buying a second park ticket. The advantage of that though it generally the Express lines are fairly short since not many people want to pay for it or their deluxe hotels that offer the service. I can see these new Lightening/Genie lines getting really long
Express Pass includes all the rides.

What's interesting is this appears to be similar to Universal's Express Pass system, but far cheaper. Universal's Express Pass is almost like buying a second park ticket. The advantage of that though it generally the Express lines are fairly short since not many people want to pay for it or their deluxe hotels that offer the service. I can see these new Lightening/Genie lines getting really long
Express Pass includes all the rides.
It’s also almost 20x the price at up to $299/person/day which means far less people but it which shortens the lines too.

It’s also almost 20x the price at up to $299/person/day which means far less people but it which shortens the lines too.
If you have a family of 4 or more, you are better off booking 1 night in one of the sponsoring hotels, even if you dont use the room.........

Hard Rock is only $400 per night..........Even when express pass is at it's cheapest, 1 night @ $400 is cheaper than buying 4 Express Passes

and the bonus is, you get 2 days for 1 hotel night because you can use it on arrival and departure days

Some of my family in California went to Disneyland this past week. They got there on Tuesday and had no idea what Genie+ was or that it was even rolling at at DL. After talking with them, they had some very choice words about the program and just in general how the parks the new programs, rules, or whatever you want to call them, are supposed to help enhance your experience but actually do the opposite of it.

Had a conversation with my dad last night, a long time AP at Disneyland. I was trying to help him understand G+ and ILL. You could just see the defeated look in his eyes as I was explaining everything. At the end he summed it up that Disney has made it way too difficult and confusing to visit the parks. That they are essentially driving visitors like him and my mom away. Older visitors with an annual pass. It was kind of disheartening hear him talk about giving up on going to the parks and doing something else instead. My mom and dad both really love Disneyland, especially my mom. Crazy how one ill planned program can cause so much gloom and negativity.

Not looking forward to having to use G+ in WDW. Since we have limited time in the parks because of the runs during MW, I decided to purchase G+ for the family. Since I am an AP, I will have to purchase each day. I guess when I get up to head to the starting line I can make the purchase. But then the family will have to control the account while I am running. So ads some more complexity to an already convoluted process. This may be the last trip to WDW in a bit unless it is for a work conference. Like someone mentioned above, might be time to make another visit to Silver Dollar City and even Dollywood.

they had some very choice words about the program and just in general how the parks the new programs, rules, or whatever you want to call them, are supposed to help enhance your experience but actually do the opposite of it.
Ahh, see, there's your mistake. These programs aren't there to enhance the guest experience; they're there to increase guest spend. Getting people to pay more money for a worse experience is the name of the game, since all we really care about is capital investment in IP. Right?

I've kept myself from really diving into the details for G+ because I don't think my group will be using it for our January trip. Now that we're a little more than a month out, is there anywhere that is keeping track of ILL$ prices?
I'm hoping we'll be at the lower end of spectrum because I plan on paying for the ILL$ for my group to ride ROTR.

I've kept myself from really diving into the details for G+ because I don't think my group will be using it for our January trip. Now that we're a little more than a month out, is there anywhere that is keeping track of ILL$ prices?
I'm hoping we'll be at the lower end of spectrum because I plan on paying for the ILL$ for my group to ride ROTR.
ILL$ is $15/person 7 days a week.

The cost for all rides is in this article: Individual Lightning Lane Prices Increase for the Weekend at Walt Disney World

Genie+, not ILL$, is $15 per person, plus tax daily. The article you cited for ILL$ prices seems to still be current. As indicated therein, some rides cost more on the weekend.

I think they were saying that Rise of the Resistance is always $15 per person per day, that ride doesn't have a changing price, it is always 15 dollars no matter the day. At least for the foreseeable future.

I think they were saying that Rise of the Resistance is always $15 per person per day, that ride doesn't have a changing price, it is always 15 dollars no matter the day. At least for the foreseeable future.
Perhaps that is what she meant, but what she wrote was mistaken and needed to be corrected.

Genie+, not ILL$, is $15 per person, plus tax daily. The article you cited for ILL$ prices seems to still be current. As indicated therein, some rides cost more on the weekend.
The OP indicated RotR which is why I quoted it above my response and why I said what I did.
Yes, you’re correct.

Perhaps that is what she meant, but what she wrote was mistaken and needed to be corrected.
If there is a quoted post then you need to read that as the person answering was referencing a specific post. It’s the reason why ‘quote’ is an option so that people can see exactly what the response is referring to. It’s how message boards work.

If there is a quoted post then you need to read that as the person answering was referencing a specific post. It’s the reason why ‘quote’ is an option so that people can see exactly what the response is referring to. It’s how message boards work.
I had read Disney-inspired's post, which referred to "G+" as well as to "ROTR."

If you have a family of 4 or more, you are better off booking 1 night in one of the sponsoring hotels, even if you dont use the room.........

Hard Rock is only $400 per night..........Even when express pass is at it's cheapest, 1 night @ $400 is cheaper than buying 4 Express Passes

and the bonus is, you get 2 days for 1 hotel night because you can use it on arrival and departure days
That's the real intent of Universal. They want to fill their premium resorts, whereas Disney is just all about the greed and raising prices. It's ridiculous.

That's the real intent of Universal. They want to fill their premium resorts, whereas Disney is just all about the greed and raising prices. It's ridiculous.
And really the premium resort prices are reasonable for the quality-level. In my research I read one of the planning advice people say that Universal Premium is priced like a Disney Moderate and superior to most Disney Deluxe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter