Disney Fantasy - Mechanical issues 7/8/2019

Disneys ships dont use standard bearings. I'll try and find the article Scott sent me but there different. They also use seawater as the lube instead of oil. From what the article said the Magic which got them when she was built still has her original bearings and shafts. Theyve been installed on all 4 ships and probably the next 3. Theres been very little wear on them. I want to say Princess uses them also, and had similar results and changed them at 20 years only because they were 20 years old but could have gone for another 20 with the limited wear theyd incurred to that point

Found it

Shaft Bearing

I take it back. Princess was recommended to change at the next drydock but did it early since the ship was already high and dry. Disneys as of 15 were still in spec
Great article. Back in the day I remember the once an hour trip down to shaft alley on sound and security watch to record the bearing temperatures and check the shaft seal for leaks. This system sounds like a major improvement.

I was on this cruise. Didn't mind skipping Jamaica one bit...days at sea are my favorite! Disney verified that the placeholder discount WILL stack with the 20% off.

I didn't feel any vibration or smell any sewage. We were deck 10 midship. It was an amazing cruise!

The issue was caused by a thrust bearing wearing out. From what I hear the bearing pads were replaced the morning it arrived at Cozumel. Aparrently it isnt the first time its happened and now Meyer Werft are involved with potentially misaligned thrust bearings. Would explain the vibrations its had since new.

I thought the system was vacuum-based and didn't use the traditional traps? And, if it IS vacuum-based, then that means that the toilet can't be inter-connected with anything else or the vacuum system wouldn't work properly and/or it would constantly be sucking all of the water out of the drain traps.

The black water system on board (toilets) uses a vacuum system, the grey water (baths, sinks etc) use pipes and gravity.

Would this in any way be related to why A) it docked in Nassau fairly recently and B) why it was there so late before heading back to sea? I've heard various comments about that whole event, but one did mention needing to do some work on the ship.

Would this in any way be related to why A) it docked in Nassau fairly recently and B) why it was there so late before heading back to sea? I've heard various comments about that whole event, but one did mention needing to do some work on the ship.

I was on that sailing and it was confirmed that they were working on the propulsion system. The DCL president was onboard along with some other executives, so I’m not sure if they influenced the repairs in Nassau. All I do know is that the first night the vibration was HORRIBLE and after we left Nassau it was MUCH better.

That would do it and also explain why it hasn't been repaired. That's not a quick fix in a 30 day availability. Just curious, what was the source of your info?

The thrust bearing pads on the bearings fitted to the Fantasy and Dream can be replaced within half an hour, its very quick.

I'm a marine engineer by trade, I did my cadet ship with an engineer who works for DCL. Hoping to get a job there myself when the new ships appear :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!