Disney Fantasy - Mechanical issues 7/8/2019

Hope people that booked excursions on their own can cancel them.

We always book independent of the cruise ship and every company we have dealt with either has a refundable deposit if the ship misses port or doesn't require payment until day of excursion. We have missed two ports in all of our cruises and never had a problem with the independent companies. In both times they emailed about the same time we we learning we would miss port offering their condolences we would miss their port and hope that we would use them again. in the future.

My guess is they will also miss castaway cay. Doesn’t the ships usually have to run at top speed after castaway cay if going to port Canaveral the next day?
While I can't say for sure, I do know that both of my cruises have had us in PC by 5am on disembark day or earlier. So maybe a little slower isn't a big deal, particularly if they sail away from CC, say at 4pm instead of 5pm.

It's a good bet they won't be waiting for any stragglers at any of the ports, though.

Sounds like a shafting/propeller issue. That's what causes such a significant vibration and the slow down. If it'd been a main engine issue causing a slowdown to 9 kts, Fantasy would have serious issues

The slower speed may be temporary. The Fantasy was originally going at 16.5kts even after the announcement. Speculation is that the ship is slowing down for a timely, but not too early arrival into Cozumel and that it is capable of a faster speed than 9kts... we shall see

Wow! I sure wish we would have gotten a $200obc and 20% off when we sailed in May of 2017 and had such a terrible experience with their "mechanical issues." (NOT a terrible cruise though, we still had a great time) Not only did our itinerary get changed (not as big of a deal), but we weren't able to board until 4:30pm, sailaway was at 11:30 PM (so no party), and we dealt with electrical issues off and on the entire week. We were compensated $25pp for "first day lunch" and that is it! Sure hope these folks don't come back complaining, DCL stepped up on this one.

We just got off the Fantasy and the vibrations aft were terrible the entire week. We ate in Palo one night and it was horrible. When you ask any crew member about it they make it out like they don't know what youre talking about...They must be so sick of lying to guests all week long.

Also, they had a sewage issue late last week. Our cabin smelled sooooo bad last Friday. I heard it was an issue ship wide. Perhaps the Fantasy is having more than one issue this week??

It was our fifth Disney cruise and first voyage on the Fantasy but I am not sure I would cruise on her again, she really does shake!!

MsA

We just got off the Fantasy and the vibrations aft were terrible the entire week. We ate in Palo one night and it was horrible. When you ask any crew member about it they make it out like they don't know what youre talking about...They must be so sick of lying to guests all week long.

Also, they had a sewage issue late last week. Our cabin smelled sooooo bad last Friday. I heard it was an issue ship wide. Perhaps the Fantasy is having more than one issue this week??

It was our fifth Disney cruise and first voyage on the Fantasy but I am not sure I would cruise on her again, she really does shake!!

MsA

They may not actually be lying. They may be used to it to the point that they don’t notice it. Like if you live in the take-off or landing pattern of an airport you stop hearing the planes.

When does the Fantasy go into drydock next?

Not soon enough, apparently.

As far as the vibration issues: Seems no one FB is willing to admit they exist. And, they have been present since christening and weren't fixed the last time it dry-docked. I don't know that it CAN be repaired. At least not without rebuilding a large portion of the rear of the ship.

From a "cruising group"

"Due to a technical issue, the Disney Fantasy is sailing at a reduced rate of speed and it was necessary for us to modify your client's itinerary. The ship will now arrive in Cozumel tomorrow morning, with a call to Grand Cayman on Wednesday and Castaway Cay on Friday. Unfortunately, the ship will no longer be able to visit Falmouth, Jamaica.

Port fees for Falmouth, Jamaica will be refunded back to the original form of payment and any pre-reserved Port Adventures in Falmouth will automatically be removed and refunded. We are also working to accommodate Guests with pre-reserved Port Adventures in Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are providing each stateroom with a $200 onboard credit, which will appear on client's folio by the end of the cruise, as well as a 20% discount on a future cruise.

To redeem the 20% future cruise discount, you may contact us between July 15, 2019, and September 15, 2019, at 407-566-7000 or 1-866-858-7416. Our onboard booking team is not able to facilitate this discount.... "

That's nice that they offered some recourse to make up for it.

Did they maybe do repairs while in Cozumel? Seems that only the time needed to get from Port Canaveral to Cozumel was impacted - rest of the cruise is going on as planned except for the Jamaica skip.

We did an at-sea line shaft bearing replacement one time and that had a similar profile as to what Fantasy did. Slowed for a period of time, then up and running. We had to stop and lock the shaft. The bearings are used on support structures within the ship as it reaches from the engines/thrust bearing (load transfer to the hull) to the shaft seal where the shaft penetrates the hull and runs through the strut to the propeller. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. It took us about 12 hours to roll the old one out, rig the new one into place then roll the new one into the bearing housing. All this was done at sea with only a temporary slowdown while our shaft was stopped.

Hubby said that’s she’s at 21.6kts now and that he read that DCL had flown mechanics into Cozumel at like 4am to work on her today. Hopefully they fixed the issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter