Disney Executive Producer admits to actively trying to "add queerness" and a "not-at-all-secret gay agenda"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really bad analogy unless it’s going right over my head. People used to being catered to who get upset when things change and focus shifts to other groups of people don’t come off looking great. And literally no one would call someone who’s disappointed about a veggie burger a bigot. Someone who’s upset that different kinds of love or identities or cultures get the spotlight for once fits that definition much better.
And you also can't tell by looking at someone how they identify, and not everyone is comfortable with a stranger asking them for that information. I get what was being attempted with this analogy, but checking a box on a wedding RSVP for 'meat' or 'vegetarian' is a lot less complex of an issue than talking about gender identity and 'coming out'.

Can someone help me?

Can't say gender specific terms (prince and princess), can't say boy or girl, can't say children (someone may be very small/short and mistaken for a child), wouldn't be good to say, hello person under the age of 18 (what if they just look super young)....

What should they be called?

I'm not picking sides, but there is no silver bullet option. I may be in the minority, but as someone that is in the minority, you just learn to let things roll off your mind/back and enjoy life. Life is too short to get caught up in words, ideas and boxes as such.

If you're greeting an individual, I don't know that you need to call them anything. You look at them, approach them, make eye contact, and say, "Hello there!" If I'm not sure of someone's pronouns or how they identify, that's what I do.

If you're greeting a mixed group, you can always say "Honored guests" or something to that effect.

This comes down to a business decision ultimately. If Disney believes this will enhance the customer experience and they can continue to make money, let it be. If they underestimate the impact of these changes and distance enough of the wealthier fanbase, it could be a big misstep. Time will tell if those who feel more included spend enough money to cover the spread of those who decide Disney is no longer for them. Tough call.

Can someone help me?

Can't say gender specific terms (prince and princess), can't say boy or girl, can't say children (someone may be very small/short and mistaken for a child), wouldn't be good to say, hello person under the age of 18 (what if they just look super young)....

I'm not picking sides, but there is no silver bullet option. I may be in the minority, but as someone that is in the minority, you just learn to let things roll off your mind/back and enjoy life. Life is too short to get caught up in words, ideas and boxes as such.
Do you have to label them at all? Why not simply say ‘Hello how are you?’ Or use the magical dreamers or your highness?

Can someone help me?

Mike1.png
Hello humans!

Can someone help me?

Honestly, I don't think that's really happening, at least in practice. I think the idea is for CMs to think more about what they say and to whom, but I don't think it is as extreme as some people want to think it is.

Also, I do agree that many people let this stuff get to them too much. Words only have the power over us that we choose to give them. I like your attitude of not getting hung up on it, esepecially when it's a good faith mistake. Now, repeated, purposeful mislabeling is a different story, but also why care what someone like that thinks at all?

It seems that we could say “hello children” and someone’s parents would be annoyed that you referred to their child as a child. Crazy times.

This is the way.
If you are a conservative (and I am a conservative) you’ve probably learned to keep you opinion to yourself at this point. It’s ironic that folks who want to encourage inclusion in all settings will almost always try to silence those with differing views. I actually strongly believe in inclusion but I don’t believe that Disney should avoid calling my little girl a princess in order to accommodate others. If they want to somehow note (through the magic bands) that this child likes to be called a princess (whether they are a boy or a girl) that’s absolutely wonderful but don’t stop calling little girls who identify as little girls princesses. There’s nothing wrong with being a girl who identifies as a girl….but somehow that seems to be changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter