Disney Dream Cruise Fish Extender Activity August 10-14, 2015

Hello, fellow Dream cruisers! Our trip is just about a month away. Are you excited? What are you most excited about? Has anyone planned some awesome excursions or tours? Any seasoned Disney cruisers want to offer advice? My son is SO excited to visit the tween club and make new friends, and I think Matthew and I are a little excited to enjoy some time on our own, too! How are your gifts and surprises coming along for the fish extender game? Our young friends in room 5511 cannot have chocolate or peanuts so if anyone else has any allergies/restrictive diets, please let me know and I will add those to our final notes.

If any other families would like to join the Disney Dream August 10 - 14, 2015 Fish Extender Activity, just add a comment below so we can include you. We have a few days left before our final cutoff date (we need to give our families time to gather their items!)

Have a magical day!

Alyson

Time is running out! Are there any other families sailing on the Disney Dream - August 10 - 14, 2015 - who would like to participate in the Fish Extender Activity? If you are unfamiliar with the game, it is similar to having a 'Secret Santa' onboard the cruise ship! Your family creates a 'fish extender' (sort of like a hanging fabric bag) that will hang from the metal sea animal located on the door of your cruise ship. Families sign up to participate and put small, surprise gifts in the 'fish extender' for your family to enjoy. All I need to know is who is in your party (DD-Disney dad, DM-Disney mom, DS-Disney son, DD-Disney daughter) and first names. We would also love to know where you are from -- but lastly, we need to know your cabin room number. And that is it! Our deadline is THIS FRIDAY, August 17, because we need to give families time to shop and/or create gifts. Have any questions? Post them here!

Have a Disney Day!

Alyson

Hi! We're Gold members but just finally figured out what all those pockets on the doors were for! We'd love to participate in this FE!

We're in #6592

DD - Stephen
DM - Gretel
DS - Tristan - age 6
DD - Jasmine - age 3

We're from Tampa, and wishing you all the best while you're here in Florida!

Hey there, Stephen and Gretel!

So glad that you found this link...and just in time! I am happy to add you to our list. Early next week I will send the complete list of cabins and friends but you are welcome to take a look at past posts to get an idea of how many families are currently in our 'fish extender' game. We are from Pennsylvania and twice-a-year WDW visitors but this will be our first cruise. Everyone in our thread is very excited for the cruise and our game.

Have a super weekend and look for information early next week.

P.S....any allergy information that we need to know about? Thanks!

Alyson

You all will have an AMAZING time. There's no allergies in our family

I know this is unsolicited, but here's some tips we've picked up over our last few cruises...(this is our 5th time on the Dream)

Pirate Night
- Bring pirate costumes! At least the kids should. Some people go all out, but I feel sorry for all the folks (like us) who on the first cruise didn't know how serious pirate night is (It will be the day we're at Castaway Cay).
- Speaking of pirate night, the staff will tell you to sit on the starboard (right) side of the upper pool deck for the fireworks (because they're shot off the starboard side of the boat). I found the best place is actually on the normal deck on top of what is the Donald pool (which is covered on pirate night). If you actually sit towards the left side you get an amazing view of the show AND the fireworks.

Castaway Cay
- Don't feel like you have to reserve inner tubes, or floating mats or bikes for castaway cay in advance. There are a ton, and I've never seen them run out.
- There are two places to eat (Cookie's One and Cookie's Too) - they serve the exact same stuff.
- The beach chairs usually get "reserved" with towels by mid-morning - but if it's just a towel and no stuff - then the person is probably not ever coming back.
- They sell water right on the dock. Don't buy it. You can also get the same thing at the little shacks near the beaches - waiting to buy it will save you from lugging it to the beach. However, definitely take the free towels on the dock, they're not available elsewhere.
- If you go to the second stop (Pelican Point) you can eat at Cookie's too and bring soda from the soda station to the beach if you're thirsty and don't want to pay for any beverage.
- Take the tram. Unless you're going without any kids and gear and love walking in the heat. The cast members are forced to walk (unless there's empty seats on the tram), and I always feel sorry for them.
- If you're going to drop your kids off at Scuttle's Cove (the kids club area on Castaway Cay), please let them get wet first (in the ocean). It will be hot and scuttle's cove is mainly a playground on the sand.

Oceaneer's (Kids) Club
- If you have kids going to the kids club - When you get to the terminal, if your boarding group isn't up yet, you can head to the right to get them checked in. However, if it has been called, head onto the boat. You can get them registered in the oceaneers club during the open house on embarkation day.
- The open house is a great way to introduce your kids to the club and see what they'll get to do.
- When you pick up your kids you can ask the cast member WHERE in the club your kid is. The mickey bands have a kind of GPS in them and they can tell you exactly what section they're in - you just have to ask.

The pool deck:
- If you go to Nemo's Reef (the kids splash area), don't let your kids go down that stingray slide. It's a small waterslide that is SOMETIMES supervised by a cast member. When kids go down it, they do what all kids want to do and climb up the slide instead of taking the stairs to go down again. This slide is a deathtrap and I've seen several kids get hurt. If your kid absolutely must go down it and is too small for the other slides, stand at the bottom and protect them. Make sure no other kid comes down right after, and that no one is going up while they're going down. My DS cut his chin open on one cruise on this slide because he wanted to go back up when another kid came barreling down. We had to head to the ship doctor to get it stitched (really super-glued) together.
- The pools are small and crowded on the first and last day. If you really want to enjoy them, the crowd will be light on the Nassau day and really light on the Castaway Cay day.
- Go on the Aquaduck at night (except pirate night it will be closed) - Seriously, people are eating and watching shows. The lights are pretty and the wait is all of 5 minutes. The ride lasts about 1 minute. During the day on embarkation, and especially the afternoon on the sea day the wait will be 45 minutes.

Stateroom:
- If your kids take naps, tell the Room Attendant to leave your bunk open all the time. There is one that comes out of the ceiling but has a lock - which only they have the key for. If you have young kids, hide the ladder in the closet. Mine kept wanting to play on it.
- If you have a kid in diapers, free diaper genies are available on request. Just ask your room attendant.

Food:
- Second Seating is actually pretty great - It's my personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth (about 2 cents). At home my kids eat dinner between 5-6. But on this cruise there is ALWAYS food everywhere (and 24 hour room service - and please tip the server a buck or two)! I've found that no one in my family is actually hungry around 6:00 when we're on a cruise. Plus it's a pain to try to rush back after a beach day and get to dinner to eat. Second seating allows you to watch a show, rest, and take your time to get ready for dinner (and actually be a little hungry - which is rare on this cruise!)
- The menu is the same across all restaurants each night. (but of course, it's different each night)
- Palo is a great date night option, but it is also open for a pretty amazing brunch as well.
- If you like a formal breakfast head to the Royal Palace for a breakfast by menu. An in-between option for breakfast is in the enchanted garden. It has a buffet with servers, and is less chaotic than Cabana's for breakfast.
- If you need soda, hot water or milk (or a combination of hot water or milk) - the beverage station on the pool deck is open 24/7.
- If you like to drink alcohol, the classes are a lot of fun and at $20 a really great deal. You can book them on embarkation day (usually at guest services or in one of the bars). My favorite is Mixology where you learn to make some of the drinks they serve on the cruise.

Misc
- Don't miss the "midship detective agency" - It's a special mystery that you get to solve by running around the ship and holding a personalized card with a QR code on it toward special artwork on the ship. The artwork turns into a special video to help you solve YOUR mystery. The videos and mysteries are completely random so it's personalized for each player. You can play as many times as you want. The villain will be different each time. I recommend to do this on one of the first two days. By the time the sea day rolls around, families are looking for something to do, and there are usually lines at each artwork station. My kids love this and usually make me do it with them a few thousand times. To get started you check in at a special kiosk on Deck 5 (midship)
- Your daughters will love the Princess Gatherings - Usually this is on the last day. Instead of trying to get photos with each individually, you can get it all done in one shot with 5 or 6 princesses. Everyone works their way through the line.
- The show are amazing! Better than any other cruise line I've been on. But if you miss one - it's OKAY. They play in the stateroom the next day. On the final day all the shows are available on demand in the stateroom.
- The theater will show first run disney owned movies. Expect Ant-Man, Inside Out, Tomorrowland to be playing on our cruise.

I know it's unsolicited, but I hope it helps you guys!

Last edited:
Hello, fellow Dream cruisers! Our trip is just about a month away. Are you excited? What are you most excited about? Has anyone planned some awesome excursions or tours? Any seasoned Disney cruisers want to offer advice? My son is SO excited to visit the tween club and make new friends, and I think Matthew and I are a little excited to enjoy some time on our own, too! How are your gifts and surprises coming along for the fish extender game? Our young friends in room 5511 cannot have chocolate or peanuts so if anyone else has any allergies/restrictive diets, please let me know and I will add those to our final notes.

If any other families would like to join the Disney Dream August 10 - 14, 2015 Fish Extender Activity, just add a comment below so we can include you. We have a few days left before our final cutoff date (we need to give our families time to gather their items!)

Have a magical day!

Alyson
We are really getting excited too! My husband and 2 of our boys are planning to do the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Experience in Nassau. I did it with one of our sons last time and loved it! It was truly a one of a kind experience. However, our 4 year old is a little skittish about things like that right now so I figured I would stay on the boat with him and enjoy some of the pools and slides when it isn't so crowded. :-)
I'm also considering going parasailing with my 14 year old on Castaway Cay. I think that would be amazing. How about you?

I highly recommend going to dinner at Palo one night if you get the opportunity...we went last time and it was the best meal we had in a long time. We are celebrating our anniversary while we are on the cruise and definitely treating ourselves to it again! The Pirate Night activities are also a definite must! That was one of the most fun evenings we had on our last cruise. Keith and I are also looking forward to a little time to ourselves as well! The kids clubs are amazing and our younger ones absolutely loved it and I think our older one is looking forward to the teen club!

I am really looking forward to the FE!!! I just finished making our FE for the door and I'm already working on some goodies for everyone! I love the idea behind the whole game and can't wait to be able to participate this time. I think it's really neat that no one in our group has ever done one before so I'm looking forward to seeing what fun stuff everyone comes up with!!

I was curious if you were thinking about possibly setting up a time for us to all meet each other (maybe that first afternoon after we set sail)? I've read other threads and it seems that some groups do and some don't. We are such a small group (in comparison to some of the others I've seen that have 20-40 cabins participating on other boats)...I think it would be fun to be able to put names and faces together! Just something to think about. :-)

Thanks again for organizing all of this...it's going to be a blast!
Melanie

hi all!
excited for our first Disney Cruise!!!!!!!!!!!! we have a big group going!
christina -35
paul-36
lindsay-33
Daniel- soon to be 33 on aug15

Carl-60
pam-61
Christopher- 7
zachary- 5

so flippin excited!

You all will have an AMAZING time. There's no allergies in our family

I know this is unsolicited, but here's some tips we've picked up over our last few cruises...(this is our 5th time on the Dream)

Pirate Night
- Bring pirate costumes! At least the kids should. Some people go all out, but I feel sorry for all the folks (like us) who on the first cruise didn't know how serious pirate night is (It will be the day we're at Castaway Cay).
- Speaking of pirate night, the staff will tell you to sit on the starboard (right) side of the upper pool deck for the fireworks (because they're shot off the starboard side of the boat). I found the best place is actually on the normal deck on top of what is the Donald pool (which is covered on pirate night). If you actually sit towards the left side you get an amazing view of the show AND the fireworks.

Castaway Cay
- Don't feel like you have to reserve inner tubes, or floating mats or bikes for castaway cay in advance. There are a ton, and I've never seen them run out.
- There are two places to eat (Cookie's One and Cookie's Too) - they serve the exact same stuff.
- The beach chairs usually get "reserved" with towels by mid-morning - but if it's just a towel and no stuff - then the person is probably not ever coming back.
- They sell water right on the dock. Don't buy it. You can also get the same thing at the little shacks near the beaches - waiting to buy it will save you from lugging it to the beach. However, definitely take the free towels on the dock, they're not available elsewhere.
- If you go to the second stop (Pelican Point) you can eat at Cookie's too and bring soda from the soda station to the beach if you're thirsty and don't want to pay for any beverage.
- Take the tram. Unless you're going without any kids and gear and love walking in the heat. The cast members are forced to walk (unless there's empty seats on the tram), and I always feel sorry for them.
- If you're going to drop your kids off at Scuttle's Cove (the kids club area on Castaway Cay), please let them get wet first (in the ocean). It will be hot and scuttle's cove is mainly a playground on the sand.

Oceaneer's (Kids) Club
- If you have kids going to the kids club - When you get to the terminal, if your boarding group isn't up yet, you can head to the right to get them checked in. However, if it has been called, head onto the boat. You can get them registered in the oceaneers club during the open house on embarkation day.
- The open house is a great way to introduce your kids to the club and see what they'll get to do.
- When you pick up your kids you can ask the cast member WHERE in the club your kid is. The mickey bands have a kind of GPS in them and they can tell you exactly what section they're in - you just have to ask.

The pool deck:
- If you go to Nemo's Reef (the kids splash area), don't let your kids go down that stingray slide. It's a small waterslide that is SOMETIMES supervised by a cast member. When kids go down it, they do what all kids want to do and climb up the slide instead of taking the stairs to go down again. This slide is a deathtrap and I've seen several kids get hurt. If your kid absolutely must go down it and is too small for the other slides, stand at the bottom and protect them. Make sure no other kid comes down right after, and that no one is going up while they're going down. My DS cut his chin open on one cruise on this slide because he wanted to go back up when another kid came barreling down. We had to head to the ship doctor to get it stitched (really super-glued) together.
- The pools are small and crowded on the first and last day. If you really want to enjoy them, the crowd will be light on the Nassau day and really light on the Castaway Cay day.
- Go on the Aquaduck at night (except pirate night it will be closed) - Seriously, people are eating and watching shows. The lights are pretty and the wait is all of 5 minutes. The ride lasts about 1 minute. During the day on embarkation, and especially the afternoon on the sea day the wait will be 45 minutes.

Stateroom:
- If your kids take naps, tell the Room Attendant to leave your bunk open all the time. There is one that comes out of the ceiling but has a lock - which only they have the key for. If you have young kids, hide the ladder in the closet. Mine kept wanting to play on it.
- If you have a kid in diapers, free diaper genies are available on request. Just ask your room attendant.

Food:
- Second Seating is actually pretty great - It's my personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth (about 2 cents). At home my kids eat dinner between 5-6. But on this cruise there is ALWAYS food everywhere (and 24 hour room service - and please tip the server a buck or two)! I've found that no one in my family is actually hungry around 6:00 when we're on a cruise. Plus it's a pain to try to rush back after a beach day and get to dinner to eat. Second seating allows you to watch a show, rest, and take your time to get ready for dinner (and actually be a little hungry - which is rare on this cruise!)
- The menu is the same across all restaurants each night. (but of course, it's different each night)
- Palo is a great date night option, but it is also open for a pretty amazing brunch as well.
- If you like a formal breakfast head to the Royal Palace for a breakfast by menu. An in-between option for breakfast is in the enchanted garden. It has a buffet with servers, and is less chaotic than Cabana's for breakfast.
- If you need soda, hot water or milk (or a combination of hot water or milk) - the beverage station on the pool deck is open 24/7.
- If you like to drink alcohol, the classes are a lot of fun and at $20 a really great deal. You can book them on embarkation day (usually at guest services or in one of the bars). My favorite is Mixology where you learn to make some of the drinks they serve on the cruise.

Misc
- Don't miss the "midship detective agency" - It's a special mystery that you get to solve by running around the ship and holding a personalized card with a QR code on it toward special artwork on the ship. The artwork turns into a special video to help you solve YOUR mystery. The videos and mysteries are completely random so it's personalized for each player. You can play as many times as you want. The villain will be different each time. I recommend to do this on one of the first two days. By the time the sea day rolls around, families are looking for something to do, and there are usually lines at each artwork station. My kids love this and usually make me do it with them a few thousand times. To get started you check in at a special kiosk on Deck 5 (midship)
- Your daughters will love the Princess Gatherings - Usually this is on the last day. Instead of trying to get photos with each individually, you can get it all done in one shot with 5 or 6 princesses. Everyone works their way through the line.
- The show are amazing! Better than any other cruise line I've been on. But if you miss one - it's OKAY. They play in the stateroom the next day. On the final day all the shows are available on demand in the stateroom.
- The theater will show first run disney owned movies. Expect Ant-Man, Inside Out, Tomorrowland to be playing on our cruise.

I know it's unsolicited, but I hope it helps you guys!
Thanks for the info...especially on the "midship detective agency". We completely missed it on our last cruise (and several other things...it's almost impossible to get to everything in a few days). I think that is something our boys would really enjoy! I also didn't know that we can check in the kids in the terminal before we board...I just assumed we had to wait! Great to know!!

Thanks for the info...especially on the "midship detective agency". We completely missed it on our last cruise (and several other things...it's almost impossible to get to everything in a few days). I think that is something our boys would really enjoy! I also didn't know that we can check in the kids in the terminal before we board...I just assumed we had to wait! Great to know!!

I'm actually thinking of passing out our Fish Extender gifts while we play the game. Since we're running around the halls of the ship anyway...I may break it up a little. First time we play maybe we'll do a couple of decks for FE, next time a couple more, etc.

For checking the kids into the youth activities in the terminal and getting their mickey bands, use your judgement. Sometimes the line is long. But if you're waiting anyway, you're saving time. But if your boarding number is up and the line is long, I say just register during open house. But yes the place to register for youth activities is to the right of the model ship as you walk in - across the hall from the actual main checkin area.

We also think it would be fun to meet everyone on the cruise. The first day isn't a bad idea either. Maybe in the D Lounge or the District after the muster drill? The only downside is if some people want to go to the sail away party on the pool deck

I also wanted to give couple more planning tips.

Before you go, you can download the free disney cruise line navigator app. It will work for free with the wifi on the ship. In addition to seeing the schedule for the whole cruise (unlike the paper navigator you will receive each day), there is also a texting feature. It's probably more useful for big parties, since smaller ones can text with their wave phones.

The link to the app is on the disney cruise line website here: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/disney-cruise-line-navigator-app/

The app won't work until you're on the boat :( However to see the personal navigators for a recent 4 night Disney Dream Bahamas cruise you can view PDFs of the paper navigator for each day here at the link below. This will give you and idea of the activities and help you plan. But note that this particular cruise was at the end of May and there will be some small differences.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...uise-on-disney-dream-itinerary-a-may-25-2015/

One other tip...Do the online check-in now. The sooner you do it the earlier your boarding time will be. Even if you arrive after your designated time, it will be okay and you'll be able to hop right on the ship. Right now, I just checked in and the earliest available timeslot is 10:45 - 11:00 (which is great). So you get to take advantage of more things the earlier you get there.

Also related to that, if you want to hit the pool, pack all your swim stuff in a carry on. Your luggage may not arrive until dinnertime.

I am so sorry I learned of the FE game too late - I will be on this cruise with my Mom who just turned 76, my DS, 20 and 17 and my son's girlfriend. I hope I get to meet some of you and your wonderful families. Here is to a MICKEYTASTIC Disney Cruise Line trip! All the best!

I am so sorry I learned of the FE game too late - I will be on this cruise with my Mom who just turned 76, my DS, 20 and 17 and my son's girlfriend. I hope I get to meet some of you and your wonderful families. Here is to a MICKEYTASTIC Disney Cruise Line trip! All the best!

Maria, I think you've still made it. Alyson is sending out the list early next week. Just include the info she asked for above (DD, DS, DD, DM, ages and cabin number) as well as any allergies.

We are really getting excited too! My husband and 2 of our boys are planning to do the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Experience in Nassau. I did it with one of our sons last time and loved it! It was truly a one of a kind experience. However, our 4 year old is a little skittish about things like that right now so I figured I would stay on the boat with him and enjoy some of the pools and slides when it isn't so crowded. :-)
I'm also considering going parasailing with my 14 year old on Castaway Cay. I think that would be amazing. How about you?

I highly recommend going to dinner at Palo one night if you get the opportunity...we went last time and it was the best meal we had in a long time. We are celebrating our anniversary while we are on the cruise and definitely treating ourselves to it again! The Pirate Night activities are also a definite must! That was one of the most fun evenings we had on our last cruise. Keith and I are also looking forward to a little time to ourselves as well! The kids clubs are amazing and our younger ones absolutely loved it and I think our older one is looking forward to the teen club!

I am really looking forward to the FE!!! I just finished making our FE for the door and I'm already working on some goodies for everyone! I love the idea behind the whole game and can't wait to be able to participate this time. I think it's really neat that no one in our group has ever done one before so I'm looking forward to seeing what fun stuff everyone comes up with!!

I was curious if you were thinking about possibly setting up a time for us to all meet each other (maybe that first afternoon after we set sail)? I've read other threads and it seems that some groups do and some don't. We are such a small group (in comparison to some of the others I've seen that have 20-40 cabins participating on other boats)...I think it would be fun to be able to put names and faces together! Just something to think about. :-)

Thanks again for organizing all of this...it's going to be a blast!
Melanie

Melanie - I am surprising my DS(s), Dylan (20) and Noah (16) Dylan's gf Caralynn (19) and my Mom (76) with the Dolphin Experience as well. Any pointers on how to get there or what to expect? I think its great that you are able to split up and do activities with all of your children. I hope you all have a great time. Thank you.

Melanie - I am surprising my DS(s), Dylan (20) and Noah (16) Dylan's gf Caralynn (19) and my Mom (76) with the Dolphin Experience as well. Any pointers on how to get there or what to expect? I think its great that you are able to split up and do activities with all of your children. I hope you all have a great time. Thank you.
That's fantastic...I think they will really enjoy it! It's pretty easy...you will meet as a large group on the ship then they will walk you off and to a large open air boat at the docks. It's about a 35-40 minute boat ride to the island but its a really beautiful ride. They will guide you where to go once you reach Blue Lagoon. The guides that will do your actual dolphin experience are very personable and fun...they do a great job of getting everyone involved. Once your experience is over you are free to relax on the island for a while or you can grab the next boat and head on back to the ship. The main thing is just to have fun and enjoy...I felt it was truly a once in a lifetime experience!! I hope you all enjoy it as well! :-)

Maria, I think you've still made it. Alyson is sending out the list early next week. Just include the info she asked for above (DD, DS, DD, DM, ages and cabin number) as well as any allergies.

Thanks Stephen! If I can still participate I have my DS Dylan (20) DS Noah (16) My Mom (76) Me (46) and my DS's GF CaraLynn (18) - we would love to participate if we can if not we would love to meet you all. Here is to a MAGICAL cruise. Thank you!

Thanks Stephen! If I can still participate I have my DS Dylan (20) DS Noah (16) My Mom (76) Me (46) and my DS's GF CaraLynn (18) - we would love to participate if we can if not we would love to meet you all. Here is to a MAGICAL cruise. Thank you!
Cabin #? We got to know where to deliver them ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter