Disney Dining Stinks!!!!

Still would not recommend that anyone go to WDW on the dining plan and attempt to get by without ADRs...I agree you wouldn't HAVE to make them 6 months in advance but should still make them at some point.

Still would not recommend that anyone go to WDW on the dining plan and attempt to get by without ADRs...I agree you wouldn't HAVE to make them 6 months in advance but should still make them at some point.
You are correct because if you purchase the DDP and can't get into any of the TS restaurants, then what is the point of purchasing it?

If someone who was not on the DDP decided to make most of their ADR's just before going to WDW or while in WDW and they could not get them, nothing is lost because they don't lose any dinning credits.

True dat. If you get shut out, you lose your dough. If you use the Dining Plan, it is a good idea to schedule yourself at some point.

Although, again, if you aren't too picky, you can almost always eat somewhere. I don't remember EVER not being able to find somewhere to sit down when I wanted to.

But I don't use the Dining Plan and don't take the bus. I have lots of options, so it is easy to say, "Don't worry, it'll be fine." If I didn't have a car and had to stick to a Plan, it might be a different story.

We got a few by calling and seeing if anyone canceled. I'm not getting the DDP next time and the problem is solved. We are spontanious and can't plan that far ahead. It takes the fun out of it for us. I can't be the only one who feels this way about the plan. Some comments have talked about who much things have changed with TS due to the plan. I know it's a good deal for Disney but not me. Give me a little slack. This is only my second trip and the 1st at peek time. I've read about the crowds but until you see them for the first time it's shocking. Still having a good time in the parks. Thanks for all the feedback.

Some places I saw that took walk-ups in March 2007 during spring-break time:
Mama Melrose
Chef Mickey's
50's Primetime
Marrakesh

Not many, but maybe you'll have some luck at one of those places. Chef Mickey's took a walk-up family fairly quickly, but this was maybe only 40 minutes before they closed. The rest of them took walk-ups at various times; 4:30-ish at Primetime, although it was about a 3 hour wait, 6pm at MM with maybe a 30 minute wait, and around 8pm at Marrakesh with no wait.

I've never been on the DDP and probably never will be (doesn't make sense for us since we're very light eaters), but it definitely has affected the whole TS process. Even in 2004, we were able to walk right up to places and get seated within 30 minutes. Then in 2005, BAM!, can't get in anywhere without an ADR. :sad2: We had no idea that things were like that and were really disappointed. Didn't get a single TS meal all trip. I hate planning my eating habits out weeks in advance as well and it does take the fun out of it to an extent for us as well, so I know where you're coming from, ha1264. We never decided more than a day in advance what park we were going to, let alone what we were going to eat at said park. But the way it's set up now you have to sacrifice the spur of the moment type style if you want to eat anything except counter service for the whole time (unless you are lucky and they take walk-ups).

The crowds at peak time are definitely shocking the first time you experience them. I remember the first time I saw the old fireworks show and Spectro at peak time, back in July of 1996. Never have I seen so many people crammed in one place long in advance of both things. Just trying to leave afterwards was scary as anything with that crush of people elbow-to-elbow all funneling through Main Street. I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation, and I hope you can find some places that will let you in as a walk-up, or that someone will cancel their ADRs by phone so you can snag a table that way. :wizard:

We just came back, May 13th-19th. We did not get the DP because I didn't want our days revolving around being at a certain place at a certain time. We easily got into Ragland Road on one night, and the rest of the time we went to restaurants that don't take reservations, Rainforest and ESPN.

We got a few by calling and seeing if anyone canceled. I'm not getting the DDP next time and the problem is solved. We are spontanious and can't plan that far ahead.

Are you planning on off time CS the whole time next trip? I don't use the DDP ever but I always make ADRs ahead. If we don't feel like going to the place we have an ADR for we can always cancel it but having no ADRs and planning to eat on property is just a disaster waiting to happen, dining plan or no dining plan.

I went to disney (with ddp) last september. I had a 7pm Garden Grill reservation but at about 10 am decided I would try something else. I went to the guest services centre and they had a list of resteraunts with reservations available and got one at Alfreado's instead, asking that they cancel the Garden grill one for me. If its possible to do this in the free dining period it is possible to do it at other times.

We got a few by calling and seeing if anyone canceled. I'm not getting the DDP next time and the problem is solved. We are spontanious and can't plan that far ahead. It takes the fun out of it for us. I can't be the only one who feels this way about the plan. Some comments have talked about who much things have changed with TS due to the plan. I know it's a good deal for Disney but not me. Give me a little slack. This is only my second trip and the 1st at peek time. I've read about the crowds but until you see them for the first time it's shocking. Still having a good time in the parks. Thanks for all the feedback.

I can't plan that far ahead, either, but buying the DDP or not, you'll still need to make ADRs if you want TS. We've never bought the DDP, and we've been turned away from many restaurants because they were booked solid.

Hopefully you'll find a hidden gem in one of the restaurants you were able to get into due to cancellations. We "settled" on breakfast at 'Ohana our last trip -- all of the other character meals around MK had been sold out for months -- and it was one of the best times and meals we've ever had.

I never understood the I don't know where I want to eat logic. Make the ADRs and if you change your mind fine or if you can get in somewhere else fine. No punishment from disney just cancel if you can. BUT if nothing is available and counter service is 2 hrs wow hey I have this ADR with practically no wait. Its a no brainer really.

I hope you are able to find some options for your TS.

I agree with the pp...personally, I would rather take the time at home before we leave to plan for a TS a day (if on the DDP, knowing that is what you will need to use the credits), then to try and scramble and find somewhere to eat during my precious park time and possibly wasting time and $. I've been telling my non-planning friends to book their ADRs - if their plans change while at WDW, then they could try to get in somewhere else and cancel their original ADR - but if that isn't possible, they have their original plan to fall back on.

I'm sorry you had a hard time getting into a restaurant. Years ago, on our first trip to WDW with the kids when I didn't know about the dis and my only planning book was Birnbaum's I was horrified by the crowd level. It was Easter week but I was able to get ADR's only weeks in advance but I happen to be OCD about dining reservations.

Since DDP I doubt very much I would have gotten what I wanted just weeks in advance over Easter.

If you have no-idea about ADR's and WDW in general and are a first timer I imagine it would be quite a shock.:scared1: There is probably a lot of people that feel DDP is oversold because they could not use their TS credits. Of course they would not be on the disboards otherwise they would have known to make ADR's well in advance for the theme parks.

I never understood the I don't know where I want to eat logic. Make the ADRs and if you change your mind fine or if you can get in somewhere else fine. No punishment from disney just cancel if you can. BUT if nothing is available and counter service is 2 hrs wow hey I have this ADR with practically no wait. Its a no brainer really.

Since DDP has forced many former CS people into TS the number of ADR's has risen but unfortunately so have the no-show's which is troublesome for those of us for whom the DDP does not make sense.

No, you're not the only person who feels like this. And I've been going to WDW over a period of 25 years. Now, I didn't have a problem making any ADRs while at WDW or doing walkups to restaurants last year (late April/early May), so I really think being there at a peak time hurts.

It's simple: I don't always know where I will be on what day in WDW while I'm there. Especially during the last few days of the vacation; the plan kinda goes out the window. Our last trip I made one ADR at Boma a few months ahead because I knew I'd want to do AK on our first full day. All the rest of our TS meals were on the fly, we had no problems, and we even saved money versus being on the DDP (and yes we had 7 TS meals in a week), but my meals are usually cheaper than a meat-eater's. Also DH and I typically share one appetizer and dessert.

But if I were paying for the DDP, I would feel like I had to get an ADR every day to make sure I was getting my money's worth. And if I weren't in that park that day, or didn't feel like eating a big dinner on a hot day, etc, and therefore cancel my reservation without being able to get a new one, I'm losing money the same as if I hadn't made a reservation at all. Then what's the point of doing the plan?

The answer for me (and many others) is to not get the DDP. I've never spent 2 hours at a CS restaurant, and there are better options now than burgers and hot dogs--good thing too, being a vegetarian. But I guess I don't mind eating fast food for dinner, especially when it's a tasty sandwich at Columbia Harbour House or the veggie platter at Tangierine Cafe. We have great restaurants here at home (and at a better price), so I don't feel like I'm missing out if I don't eat at Le Cellier or whatever.

I understand where you are coming from...when my mom and I went we had the same problem. We tried going to Chef Mickey's last April and couldn't get in because of the dining plan. In the past if we wanted to go to a restaurant spontaneously we could usually get in. Oh well....next time we just made reservations ahead of time. Have fun on your trip..don't let this bother you--you are in Disney!! :banana:

We only make 2-3 ADRs per trip. Our next trip is next week! Yeah! We have a lunch at Le Cellier on Monday, CRT on Tuesday night, and V&A for the DH and I on Wednesday night. On our first "planned" trip in May 2005, I made too many ADRs. We ended up skipping California Grill and Chef Mickey's (shocking, isn't it?). So on our subsequent trips, we never make very many ADRs. We also don't buy the DDP. I can sympathize with the OP about wanting spontaneity- that trip in 05 forced us to be in certain places at certain times, and a couple times we weren't even really hungry at our mealtime. And that's why we don't buy the DDP. I have thought about it for future trips, but we'll see...

The answer for me (and many others) is to not get the DDP. I've never spent 2 hours at a CS restaurant,

The CS was at Pizzafari in AK. Actually 1hr 40min from the time we got in line until we sat down. 4 people. Around 11:10 am Friday. Thanks.

The answer for me (and many others) is to not get the DDP. I've never spent 2 hours at a CS restaurant,

The CS was at Pizzafari in AK. Actually 1hr 40min from the time we got in line until we sat down. 4 people. Around 11:10 am Friday. Thanks.

ha1264, I'd like to come alongside you (we were neighbors once - we lived in McComb, right up I-55):

It's easy to forget for those of us who know Disney as well as our hometowns how simply overwhelming it is for folks who are still learning the ropes. I'm flabbergasted at your Pizzafari wait - we were there last week, and I don't think we were more than 5 minutes in line for any counter service spot. Amazing. But the crowds were minimal, and we didn't use a Fastpass for anything, and never had more than a 20 minute wait.

Anyway, you've been given some great dining strategy suggestions. Here are mine:

- eat CS meals as early as possible - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- venture outside the parks for TS meals. Some places we've been successful as walk-ups include Spoodles, Kona Cafe, Concourse Steakhouse, Grand Floridian Cafe, Trail's End, Olivia's, Yacht Club Galley ... if you're in the MK, some of these are a monorail hop away, and in Epcot, some are walking distance. It does mean leaving the park (which may not be a bad thing, depending on your fatigue level.)
- CALL AND ASK. We were able to snag breakfast for 8:10 at Chef Mickey's the night before. The concierge at Saratoga Springs was a real jewel on this one.

You can still go to Disney and be spontaneous (one one trip, we stood at the bus stop and just took the first bus that came along to whatever park), but you do make certain sacrifices for your freewheeling. That's not a bad thing, but it IS the way it is.

Get up early, eat early, leave the parks early for a break, and come back late. Such is our mantra.

Good luck!

I might just add that we are, indeed, one of those peculiar types who max out the DDP. And I am an anal planner, so that helps.

I'm with the previous poster - I usually just hop on the first bus that comes in to the bus stop. I never have any idea until I wake up in the morning what park I might even be interested in. Since I have an AP, and usually travel solo to Disney, I can usually spend less money by using an AP discount on the room and paying for food OOP. I very seldom make any dining reservations (with the exception of things like the Candlelight dining package). I know going into it that I may end up with CS dining every day, and I'm OK with that. What I'm not OK with is waking up in the morning and thinking "Rats! I have to go to XXX today because I have a dining reservation!" I tried that last December, and by halfway through the trip, I called and cancelled every ADR I had left. I do manage to get into some TS restaurants, either by calling morning of or by walking in. I usually do TS for lunch instead of breakfast or dinner, which is kind of the opposite of what most people on the DDP do, and then either have CS or room service dinner, again the opposite of the typical DDP diner.

If I were buying the DDP, I would definitely make ADR's, because I hate to lose money on anything. But since the plan doesn't work out for me to start with, I can afford to be more spontaneous.

I think a lot of people are being way too harsh on the OP. So they tried something and it didn't work, and they came here to share that experience to spare anyone else from suffering the same fate. They never said it was someone else's fault, in fact, owned up to the fact that they were aware of how the ADR's work. I can see how the CS restaurants can have waits close to two hours at lunch time during peak season, as that's when the DDP folks tend to use their CS credits. Between people asking what they can buy with the plan, and the people who wait until reaching the register to look at the menu, it backs up fast. At least after reading this post, no one should have to wonder what happens if you buy DDP and don't plan ahead. Thanks OP for taking one for the team!

With the plan or not I would expect you would have the same waits unless you pack a lunch everyday. I wouldnt blame it all on the plan, people are going to eat regardless of the plan or not. Sorry its dampening your plans, but its a busy time with everyone getting out of school, much more than October would be. I would be on the phone right away with dining from your room to secure any meals you can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter