Disney Dining Plan

I would be happy if it came back for October, not sure it will but fingers crossed :)

I think it's possible to return in October but more than likely not till 2022 and free DDP probably won't come back till 2023; only because of the UK dining credit offer that's currently available for next year and they usually start free dining for the UK crowd to entice us over.

It’s too much food to be honest

Yeah. We did free dining a few times and I just can't eat that much food. We skipped free dining the last time it was offered in favor of a room only discount even though free dining would have saved more money.

Waiting for the flood of people to tell me how it‘s a waste and you should always take the room discount instead. :)

Right? I just don't get their math. I think it may be because they are blinded by their hatred for the DDP for ruining their tasty food or something. We stay at the Value/Moderate resorts. The best the room discount rates can save me would be between $200 - $500. If I got the DDP for free then I would save between $1500 to $1800. If I paid for the DDP it will usually be an even trade since we will spend the same amount on food anyway. This next trip our food bill will probably be around $2000 for the whole 8 days.

What were usually the requirements to get free dining? I remember I would have needed to upgrade to park hoppers last time (which made it basically a wash for my family) but don't remember if there was anything else. This time we are getting tickets through SOG or hopefully salute tickets. Would that mean we wouldn't be able to get a free DDP?

What were usually the requirements to get free dining? I remember I would have needed to upgrade to park hoppers last time (which made it basically a wash for my family) but don't remember if there was anything else. This time we are getting tickets through SOG or hopefully salute tickets. Would that mean we wouldn't be able to get a free DDP?

As long as you go during the times offered and not during a blackout week or something then you should be fine. I have no idea why you had to switch to the park hopper option just to get the free DDP promo. (We always choose that anyway so maybe I just never noticed.) The only restrictions/rules I remember were that if you were staying in the Values you got the QS DDP free, Moderates could get the reg DDP free, and the Deluxes could get the Deluxe DDP for free during that promotion. If you wanted a higher DDP than your resort allowed you just paid the difference.

I believe you had to get a room and ticket package with park hoppers for a certain number of days. Park hoppers don't cost all that much, so it wasn't that big a deal to add them. We usually get a base ticket but got the hoppers so we could get free dining. We also paid an additional charge to upgrade to the middle dining plan (with 1 table service meal per day). We still saved $1000.

If we used the DDP we would still pay more since one TS and two QS would not be included in the reg DDP for us.

Right? I just don't get their math. I think it may be because they are blinded by their hatred for the DDP for ruining their tasty food or something. We stay at the Value/Moderate resorts. The best the room discount rates can save me would be between $200 - $500. If I got the DDP for free then I would save between $1500 to $1800. If I paid for the DDP it will usually be an even trade since we will spend the same amount on food anyway. This next trip our food bill will probably be around $2000 for the whole 8 days.
When we went as a family of five staying in a moderate resort, free dining always saved us more money!

In the end what people need to do is sit down as a group with everyone in your traveling party and decide where you might eat. Look at the menus with prices. Write down everything that the group would like to eat at each place and tally that up. If using the DDP gets you everything you wanted and is cheaper then go with the DDP. If not then go out of pocket. Those dining plans may change but it will at least give you a good ballpark on what you're going to spend on food.

If we used the DDP we would still pay more since one TS and two QS would not be included in the reg DDP for us.
View attachment 585990

From what you posted it looks like you’d only have to pay for one TS meal out of pocket even with all the meals you have planned which seems like it might save money depending on what you ordered

ETA - although it’s hard to tell how many nights you would be on site (if 6 then one TS meal oop)

From what you posted it looks like you’d only have to pay for one TS meal out of pocket even with all the meals you have planned which seems like it might save money depending on what you ordered

ETA - although it’s hard to tell how many nights you would be on site (if 6 then one TS meal oop)

We will be there for 6 nights so 6 TS and 6 QS. It looks like it will be one QS not covered. I don't know how I missed that. :) I may do the DDP then if it costs less. I have some more figuring to do.....

Can someone remind me how alcoholic drinks work on DDP? DH & I don't drink but the people we are traveling with this time do.

Also, we technically have two reservations because we have two rooms. Would we be able to do one room on the DDP and the other not?

In the end what people need to do is sit down as a group with everyone in your traveling party and decide where you might eat. Look at the menus with prices. Write down everything that the group would like to eat at each place and tally that up. If using the DDP gets you everything you wanted and is cheaper then go with the DDP. If not then go out of pocket. Those dining plans may change but it will at least give you a good ballpark on what you're going to spend on food.
This!

Can someone remind me how alcoholic drinks work on DDP? DH & I don't drink but the people we are traveling with this time do.

Also, we technically have two reservations because we have two rooms. Would we be able to do one room on the DDP and the other not?
You buy alcoholic beverages at WDW. You buy alcohol at a premium cost. This is the way. Save for a Resort CL (as I understand it because I've never stayed at CL) or at a ticketed Dessert Party where it is open bar (which I have done before and selections are limited).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter