Disney Cruise Line: Simulated Test Sailings With Volunteers Beginning June 29

brentm77

DIS Veteran
  • Disney Cruise Line has announced two-night simulation test cruises starting June 29 through July 1, sailing out of Port Canaveral with volunteer passengers.
  • The news comes from Thomas Mazloum, President of Disney Signature Experiences, who stated that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved their application to conduct the simulation cruises which will test Disney Cruise Line’s newly developed health and safety protocols aboard the Disney Dream.
Message from Thomas Mazloum, President, Disney Signature Experiences:

“I have some great news to share, team.

We received word that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has approved our application to conduct a simulation cruise in advance of resuming normal operations.

This is a critically important milestone for Disney Cruise Line – and I want to thank everyone who has been supporting our return-to-service plans with such dedication and hard work.

We now have the green light to conduct our two-night simulation cruise aboard the Disney Dream from June 29 to July 1, sailing from Port Canaveral. The ship will sail with volunteer passengers and test our newly developed health and safety protocols, which have been meticulously tailored to the current public health environment. All of these protocols are essential to cruising responsibly, and Disney Cruise Line couldn’t be more committed to making vacation dreams come true as it prioritizes the wellbeing of all who step aboard our ships.

Today, as we move closer to restarting our U.S. cruises, I want to spotlight the tremendous resilience and positivity of the team. Your collaboration and continued enthusiasm throughout the pandemic have been nothing short of amazing, as we’ve researched, drafted, revised and refined our comprehensive roadmap for cruising again. It has been no small feat – and I’m extremely proud of everyone.

We will continue to evaluate our health and safety protocols, working closely with the CDC, and make adjustments as we work toward a full resumption of cruising. In the meantime, we can all take pride in the approval of our application with the CDC – a milestone that reflects the incredible talents of our entire team.”

Source.

Wow, this is HUGE!

I wonder when they will announce what the post-test cruise schedule and rules will be. Still no word if they will require vaccines.

Just curious where is this news from? I can't find it posted anywhere else.

As of now, the Dream is cancelled thru the July 30-Aug2 cruise. So the earliest sailing would be Aug 3rd. Seems odd there would be a whole month between the test cruise and a revenue one.

Just curious where is this news from? I can't find it posted anywhere else.

As of now, the Dream is cancelled thru the July 30-Aug2 cruise. So the earliest sailing would be Aug 3rd. Seems odd there would be a whole month between the test cruise and a revenue one.

I don't find the gap overly surprising. I think they might add in a revenue cruise or two between the test and the August 3rd cruise, but may want to wait to see how the test cruise goes before committing to the prior scheduled cruises sailing. The August 3rd date gives them time to see if any cases pop up in the test cruise passenger and crew and make adjustments to procedures before going all in with the regularly scheduled sailings.

I don't find the gap overly surprising. I think they might add in a revenue cruise or two between the test and the August 3rd cruise, but may want to wait to see how the test cruise goes before committing to the prior scheduled cruises sailing. The August 3rd date gives them time to see if any cases pop up in the test cruise passenger and crew and make adjustments to procedures before going all in with the regularly scheduled sailings.
You are probably right.

Now just waiting to see what protocols they announce. We are booked Labor Day weekend but my wife is very hesitant unless we know if vaccines will be required for adults.

You are probably right.

Now just waiting to see what protocols they announce. We are booked Labor Day weekend but my wife is very hesitant unless we know if vaccines will be required for adults.
We're booked on the Dream sailing on September 6th. I would feel better if vaccines were required for adults given the close quarters on a cruise ship but am less concerned than I was a couple weeks ago. My daughter and I spent a week down in GA for my nephew's wedding and to visit with my brother. Attitudes towards masks were very different down there from where I live in Ohio. Stores and restaurants have signs that masks are required but very few people were wearing them. The rehearsal dinner was served family style, and we were crammed in shoulder to shoulder. The reception was self-service buffet. I know many of the other guests were unvaccinated. I felt like it was a good trial to see if our vaccines protected us, and they did.

There was another family wedding back in February which I didn't attend because I wasn't vaccinated and didn't feel comfortable. My mom just had the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine, but insisted on attending. A large percentage of people at the rehearsal dinner, including the bride and groom, came down with COVID. My mom was one of the few that didn't. Obviously, anecdotal data isn't credible, but these weddings gave me a lot of confidence.

This is a dumb question, do they need to do a test cruise on each ship or just one?

So the Magic is in the UK. They would have to do a test cruise once it gets back to the US?

As I understand the original requirements, the test cruise is per ship. (i.e. each ship would need to do a test cruise)
It is both per ship and per embarkation port. So for Alaska they would not only have to do a simulation on Wonder, it would have to go from Seattle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!