**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Disney has just announced that Walt Disney World guests will be able to join in on the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Disneyland’s version of The Haunted Mansion on August 9th.

While all guests will have access to this merchandise starting with the special event on August 9, guests attending Disney Villain After Hours on August 8 will have access to certain items in advance.

LINK

So, I was there last night as well. Just some quick impressions since I am on my phone, but generally I was pleased. The stage show is GREAT and that alone made me feel good about it. Wait times weren't bad but not great. Space was posted at 25 but probably took closer to 35. I did it just before 1am stage show. I did make it out in time, but I wish I had just soaked up more atmosphere.

Anyway, i think it was about in line with my expectations. My biggest complaint was that the sodas weren't cold! I really needed a Diet Coke by then because I don't like paying 4 bucks for them. It'd better if they had Zero too.

More updates from last night. Sorry for so many posts. My teens said villains show is their favorite. DH and I liked it as well. The castle projections are so cool.

We’re going again on August 8. This time I plan to watch show twice while kids are on rides, and see Malificent earlier. I forgot to look for merchandise— I wanted the hades cup. I definitely want to stay longer to see villains at exit. Any suggestions?

More updates from last night. Sorry for so many posts. My teens said villains show is their favorite. DH and I liked it as well. The castle projections are so cool.

We’re going again on August 8. This time I plan to watch show twice while kids are on rides, and see Malificent earlier. I forgot to look for merchandise— I wanted the hades cup. I definitely want to stay longer to see villains at exit. Any suggestions?

I had heard mediocre stuff about the show, but I loved it. Those fire twirlers! It was just great. I almost wish I had watched it twice.

So, I was there last night as well. Just some quick impressions since I am on my phone, but generally I was pleased. The stage show is GREAT and that alone made me feel good about it. Wait times weren't bad but not great. Space was posted at 25 but probably took closer to 35. I did it just before 1am stage show. I did make it out in time, but I wish I had just soaked up more atmosphere.

Anyway, i think it was about in line with my expectations. My biggest complaint was that the sodas weren't cold! I really needed a Diet Coke by then because I don't like paying 4 bucks for them. It'd better if they had Zero too.
I wish they had Coke Zero too!

We will be there too and are very excited. I have read mixed reviews depending on the night but expect to have a great time regardless. We have FP+ for 7DMT and BTMRR before the party. Unless the wait is low, I am not even going to bother with Space Mountain. Just hoping the weather holds out! and I can't forget my AP ornament : ).

We flew in just for the Villains AH event on 8/1 and for some relaxing/pool time. We did not do any other parks this trip. I was nervous based on recent reviews, but we ended up having a great night. I took notes on my phone throughout the night to try to provide accurate info for those on the fence for the last event. Here are my notes:

Arrived at 6:50
FP Thunder Mountain 7:00
Mickey cake at Pecos Bills (super spicy, by the way!)
FP Space Mountain (this was the longest FP line I've ever seen! Took 20 min, but it was POURING when we got off)
FP 7DMT
Tea Cups
Splash Mountain (during end of HEA, cool to see fireworks from top of ride!)
FP Carpets
Pirates (posted 10 min, actual walk-on)
Haunted Mansion (9:55, posted 20, actual 10min)
Snacks
Thunder Mountain (20 min)
Snacks/Picture
Buzz (11:04 walk-on)
Speedway (11:12, 7 min)
Bathroom
Barnstormer x2 (11:30, walk-on and able to stay on for a 2nd ride)
Dumbo (11:37, walk-on)
Picture
7DMT (11:50, posted 25 min, actual 20 min)
Peter Pan (12:22, posted 5 min, actual 8 min)
Pooh (12:34, walk-on)
Watched the DJ at the castle (he was great, energetic till the end)
Villains Show 1:00 (my kids loved this)
Malificent
Pictures in front of castle
Saw the villains at the exit
Left at 1:45, bus was loading when we got to it, back at Beach Club by 2:15

Would have squeezed in one last ride, but decided to head to the hub and try to grab one last popcorn at the stand next to the hub. The person in front of me got the last one, as they ran out of containers. That was the only bummer.

There were lots of CM checking bands at the start of the event and probably until at least 10:30. There were also multiple CM in suits/dress clothes with iPads taking notes - not sure if this is due to complaints, or what they were observing. The snacks were plentiful and lines for snacks moved quickly. Never thought I'd end up bringing water home from Disney!

We have done MVMCP twice, but this was our first AH. There were plenty of people around, and the park didn't feel empty, but it didn't feel too crowded, even at the hub. People were for the most part respectful and didn't annoy us, which can easily happen during a regular day at MK. Based on our experience, I would definitely do AH again.

We added a night to our trip and we now have Sept 26 100% free for a resort day at BC. We're switching to CS on the 27th for our vacation package, so no park tickets on the 26th.

During our whole trip, we're only going to MK once, for the MNSSHP on the 29th.

I was thinking about buying AH for the 26th so we could do MK twice but the reviews are scaring me. We'll have to buy 4 tickets and I don't want to spend that much money just to stand in long lines.

Should we skip it?

Right now, the plan is to eat lunch at 11 at Homecomin' and then spend the rest of the day at the pool. I'm sure the boys will be done with the pool by 7 and we could spend the evening at MK. The boys are 16 and 12. What would you guys do?

We added a night to our trip and we now have Sept 26 100% free for a resort day at BC. We're switching to CS on the 27th for our vacation package, so no park tickets on the 26th.

I was thinking about buying AH for the 26th so we could do MK twice but the reviews are scaring me. We'll have to buy 4 tickets and I don't want to spend that much money just to stand in long lines.

Should we skip it?

Right now, the plan is to eat lunch at 11 at Homecomin' and then spend the rest of the day at the pool. I'm sure the boys will be done with the pool by 7 and we could spend the evening at MK. The boys are 16 and 12. What would you guys do?
I would do after hours, particularly if you think you would be done at the pool anyway. I do love pool/resort days, and find that mentally if we have plans later in the day it seems to somehow "shorten" or negatively impact our pool days, but even so I would still do it. I reported earlier that I liked the experience and the crowds better from our regular DAH than the VAH, but it's all relative lol. I still really enjoyed the VAH and would do it again if offered again in the same form.

I'd try to pick up merch early. The participating stores seem to put it out between 6 & 7pm.

I'd recommend going to the last 2 shows, if you want to see it twice, while also checking out Maleficent early. Stake out a good spot closer to the castle, at the hub, before 11:45. Maleficent will make her way around, before returning to Frontierland. Stay for the 12am show immediately after. After the show, around 12:20, grab food, use the bathrooms, reunite with family, ride another ride... etc. Be back to stake out a spot for the 1am show (not hard to do) a few minutes beforehand.

If seeing Maleficent once is good for you, I would beat Maleficent down Main Street immediately after the second show. This will allow you to check out the Train Station villains for a few minutes before Maleficent and a large group of people make it to Town Square (the exits). Beating this group will probably make it easier to return to your vehicle or shuttle or boat.

If you want to see Maleficent twice also, I'd still recommend going to the Town Square area immediately after the 1am show. Doing so gives you a great view of Maleficent, and the Train Station villains will entertain you while you wait.

We started at Space Mountain for the June 27 VAH. That night, similar to a regular MK AH that I attended, they opened up the fastpass line for VAH guests at 10pm sharp. This is worth waiting for, as there are usually a large number of day guests still in line for the ride. Using the fastpass line will allow you to breeze past the majority of them. There may still be a wait, but nothing horrific (depending on your definition). We finally merged in with the day guests at the snake line portion where you can see people boarding the ride. Probably a 10 minute wait? I can confirm that many guests, who did not purchase VAH tickets, were able to ride the Villains Space Trip version of Space Mountain.

Thanks - good to know about Space. We still haven't decided where we want to start; we'll probably need to see how things go earlier in the week at MK to see if it changes our priorities!

Should we skip it?

Since your date is regular Disney After Hours, not Villains After Hours, I really wouldn't pay much attention to the recent posts on this thread.

Regular DAH starts up again 8/22.

Granted things were different last year, but I did the 9/20 DAH (the only DAH offered in Sept last year) and it was a great night. Although it made me really dislike the MNSSHP crowds we experienced the following night!

I would do after hours, particularly if you think you would be done at the pool anyway. I do love pool/resort days, and find that mentally if we have plans later in the day it seems to somehow "shorten" or negatively impact our pool days, but even so I would still do it. I reported earlier that I liked the experience and the crowds better from our regular DAH than the VAH, but it's all relative lol. I still really enjoyed the VAH and would do it again if offered again in the same form.
You raise a good point. If we know we have to be ready at a certain time, it might have a negative impact on pool time. I didn't even consider that. The boys might also be exhausted from being in the pool all day.

Since your date is regular Disney After Hours, not Villains After Hours, I really wouldn't pay much attention to the recent posts on this thread.

Regular DAH starts up again 8/22.

Granted things were different last year, but I did the 9/20 DAH (the only DAH offered in Sept last year) and it was a great night. Although it made me really dislike the MNSSHP crowds we experienced the following night!

You also raise a good point! Right now we are only going to MK for MNSSHP. If the crowds are crazy that night we probably won't have time for everything we want to do.
Ugh! Such a dilemma.

We also flew in for the 8-1 VAH.

First, this whole trip was delays from the getgo. Horrible traffic to the airport, getting us there about 30 mins later than I wanted. But then... a two hour flighy delay that had us arriving in MCO at 12:30am... and it went from there.

We ate at 1900 Park Fare beforehand and my husband made a wrong turn getting MK. Go through security, monorail, and he decides to get a smoke. This is right at 630ish, as people are being let in. We wait for him. He smokes, has to go back through security and has a pocket knife on him. I have no idea what possessed him to do that, but it took a few minutes to figure out what ticket was his in case the magicband didn't work, and then he went back to the car to drop off his knife. I took the kids to our first fast pass, Splash. By the time we were done it was time for HM, but since he was on his way we waited for him (10 mins). After that it was pouring. Walked to our 3rd fast pass, meeting Mickey and Minnie (niece's first time to Disney)

Then got caught in the line because I wanted a Villains cup. I should have waited, but we were there waiting for HEA and wasnt sure what supplies were like. Watched that, went to Space. Had to be an hour for that. All the day guests headed there to see the overlay also. Mind you, when we first approached the line it said 15 mins... kept going up as we stood there.

Quick snack, then Buzz. After Buzz, 7dmt. Breakdown while in line, so that took 45 mins. Hit up bathroom and IASM. Niece really wanted to do Haunted mansion again, so really wanted to do Big thunder... thought we could get them both in and the end of the night show... didn't. Niece got her ride but it would have cut too close to do TM...

So we rode Pirates and then went to the hub for the show and maleficient.

I blame my own luck, choices, and stupid husband for the way the night went... but I was disappointed. I did not love the show. Maleficent was meh. The Halloween Party is much, much better.

For those wondering, drove to Tampa the following day to spend 1.5 days at Clearwater. The .5 was spent in traffic getting there because of weather, wrecks, and poor timing. Delays.

And... if your playing along... our 7am flight this morning was delayed due to a sleepy head flight attendant.

First world problems.

We finally decided. Count us in on Sept. 26th! And I was even able to make 2 fast passes between 7 and 9!
Oddly enough, when I looked for FP's. There were 2 times available for 7 dwarves mine train at 8:05 and 8:55 ( If I remember the exact times correctly) Although, none between 7 and 9.
I'm hoping that means there will be light crowds for our trip.

We finally decided. Count us in on Sept. 26th! And I was even able to make 2 fast passes between 7 and 9!
Oddly enough, when I looked for FP's. There were 2 times available for 7 dwarves mine train at 8:05 and 8:55 ( If I remember the exact times correctly) Although, none between 7 and 9.
I'm hoping that means there will be light crowds for our trip.
You won’t regret it :) we’re also going on the 26th🎉this will be our fifth MK AH . Hoping things will be back to “normal” after villains!!

Thought I'd come back and share our VAH experience. While we loved it, it was a 1 and done for us. Our hopes that MK would be slower that day didn't hold true - it was PACKED! The rain towards the evening thinned out crowds a bit, but the day was just crazy! During the party, we were able to see Maleficent twice (OMG amazing!!), the show at 11, Space (went during the 1st show. Wait was posted at 10, jumped to 40 by the time we were under the sign, and actual wait was around 30 mins), BTMRR 2X, (15 mins each time), and shopping. We ended up leaving around 12:30 because we were tired and it still felt crowded - nothing we saw was ever less than 15 mins. Some rides certainly could have been, we just may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time :) I enjoyed my first after dark experience, but prefer the MNSSHP, it really felt like something was missing by not having characters.

Thought I'd come back and share our VAH experience. While we loved it, it was a 1 and done for us. Our hopes that MK would be slower that day didn't hold true - it was PACKED! The rain towards the evening thinned out crowds a bit, but the day was just crazy! During the party, we were able to see Maleficent twice (OMG amazing!!), the show at 11, Space (went during the 1st show. Wait was posted at 10, jumped to 40 by the time we were under the sign, and actual wait was around 30 mins), BTMRR 2X, (15 mins each time), and shopping. We ended up leaving around 12:30 because we were tired and it still felt crowded - nothing we saw was ever less than 15 mins. Some rides certainly could have been, we just may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time :) I enjoyed my first after dark experience, but prefer the MNSSHP, it really felt like something was missing by not having characters.
15 minutes for BTMR is pretty bad in my opinion. We've always had 5 minutes or less for that one during DAH and VAH

I just got home at midnight last night from our trip where my DD and I attended the 8/1 VAH event. We both LOVED the event and thought the crowd level was good and had an amazing time. We didn't take time out to go get treats/food since we had the HEA dessert party right before and so we were able to get a ton of stuff done. I let her control what rides we went on so we did skip Space, but we did ride through on the people mover twice to hear the villians voices and she loved it. So here is our list of stuff we rode from when we got in at 6:35pm for the party.

Before party with FP:
Pirates (she wasn't too keen on going on it with any actors, it kinda freaked her out so we did it before)
Haunted Mansion
SDMT
Buzz
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (to get out of the rain before the fireworks)

*watched HEA from the plaza viewing area and then went to the after fireworks dessert party*

During the party in order:
Buzz
People mover
Tomorrowland Speedway
Splash
Big Thunder
saw Maleficent as we walked through frontierland just by chance
Small World (personally wouldn't have chosen it, but she wanted to so ok lol)
Barnstormer x2 (they let us stay on, we would have ridden again but DD gets motion sick and needed a break)
Dumbo
drinks, bathroom, and light shopping break
People mover
SDMT
caught the 1:00 stage show on our way out by chance, we hadn't planned to see it but stopped to watch
enjoyed hecklers as we made our way to the monorail to head back to GF

The only thing we had to wait for at all was SDMT which actually wasn't as bad as the CMs said it was, they came on the intercom and said it would be a 55 min wait right after we got in line but we were on and off in about 25 minutes and left the ride right as they closed the line at 1. We loved the atmosphere and I would 100% do this event again. By the time I got to bed I had been awake for 24 hours since it was our travel day but it was well worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter