**Disney After Hours-Hollywood Studios** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Just returned and I concur with @The_Big_Goof about ToT! I only rode once because the 35 minute wait was not a lie. I considered getting back in line for ToT right before 12:30am, but rode RnR front row instead.

Stinks about ToT. I'm glad I secured a FP for it before the event starts. This might be the one trip when my husband doesn't get to ride over and over. He's been spoiled. ;)

We attended AH last night 6/28. This was our first after hours and we had a blast! We were running behind, so we didn’t arrive until 7:45, missing our first FP window. We went straight to TOT for our second FP. Even with a FP, we still didn’t get off until 8:52. The standby was 135. Then we went straight to RnR for our last FP.

At this point when we got off, it was after 9:00. So they let us get back in the FP line using our wristbands. They were still running the preshow at 9:17 and we were off the ride at 9:28. There was a snack cart set up next to TOT and RnR. So we had our first set of snacks by 9:32. They had all the snacks available at this location...popcorn, ice cream (bars, sandwiches, and strawberry), drinks. (water, Coke, DC, and Sprite). After finishing our ice cream we decided to go back to RnR, to let the crowds disperse. It was basically a walk on and we were off by 9:45.

Then we grabbed some more snacks from the same spot on our way over to TSL. There were still some extra people but the park was much more empty. Once we got over to TSL, it seemed much busier. This was our first time to see Toy Story Land since it opened, so we took some time to familiarize ourselves with the area. We loved it, especially all the outdoor lights! At this point SDD was a 35 minute wait. So we rode Aliens with a 5 minute wait instead. Then we got snacks again! There were at least 2 snack locations here with all the options. Afterwards around 10:35, we we went to TSM. It was listed as a 15 minute wait, but we didn’t get off until 11:11. So it took us longer than we expected. Actually, I overheard a woman complaining to a CM that the wait was unacceptable. The CM did say it was running slower than usual, but didn’t say why.

We got more snacks and got in line for SDD at 11:19 with a posted wait of 25 minutes. It was a little bit faster as we were off by 11:40. After snacks and a discussion, we got back in line for SDD at 11:48. We were off by 12:05 and made the dash back over to RnR. We walked in at 12:14 and walked out at 12:26. Then we hustled over to TOT. Ironically this was our first and last ride of the night. We were off at 12:52.

We were able to accomplish this during our night:
TOTx2
RnRx4
Alienx1
TSMx1
SDDx2

Plus too many snacks to count!

I thought this event was totally worth it and would do it again!

Last edited:
We did this last Friday as well.
My 2nd time. Still not my fav DAH, and lines were a bit longer than I'd liked. We got in line for TSMM and it took us forever!!
Saved SDD for last, which was only about an 8 min wait. Had to switch with little ones, but we all rode 1x. (had a FP prior so that was ok)
ToT was long too.
RnRc was 5.
I think this was my last attempt at HS DAH, unless they have one for SWGE.
We had fun, but just felt lines were not as short as we had hoped.
We also did the SW dessert party b4 hand, so maybe if we would have just did rides, our luck would have been better? AH well!
Tonight is Villains! :maleficen

When do you think they will post the 2020 party dates?

For DHS Disney After Hours, I think we could be in for a long hiatus. Or at least until they get some operational history with SWGE in order to know how to properly manage/position a Disney After Hours concept. My hunch/guess.

But while I don't think it's relevant given the circumstances, the 'chunk' of dates spanning 12/2018-4/2019 were announced 11/5/2018....FWIW.

From my experience HS has always ran After Hours very well and we have always enjoyed it. We had done it twice last December and we did it 3 times this trip. TOT, RNR, and TSM are our favorite rides and up until this past Friday, the 28th we had managed several rides on these as well as SDD. We like that HS allows the 30 minute gap, but still lets you ride what you want by going through the FP line starting at closing. AK and MK have not done this for us. We had purchased tickets for the 21st prior to our trip and then I was able to get an extra day off from work so we arrived early afternoon on the 14th and decided to get tickets to that after hours as well. We had so much fun on those two days. I decided to extend our trip for an extra day so we could go to the HS after hours on the 28th. Big letdown. After two perfect nights, the 28th was a huge disappointment. The only ride that was reasonable for a paid event was RNRC. It was not walk-on, but it was under 10 minutes the whole night. TOT, SDD, and TSM had consistent waits of 25-40 minutes all night. TOT posted a 35 minute wait, but we waited longer than that once. SDD was only about 15 minutes between 9:00 and 9:30, but after the fireworks it was crazy. There were at least 4 times more people at the park during the event than had been there the previous two weekends. I intend to send an email to Disney to let them know, I think these waits with everything operational were not acceptable for a paid event.

ETA: The snacks and drink locations are still the best of any after hours at HS. Everything is the temp it should be and locations are plentiful and easy to find. We only rode 5 total rides between 9:30 and 12:30. We can do better during the day by refreshing FP.

From my experience HS has always ran After Hours very well and we have always enjoyed it. We had done it twice last December and we did it 3 times this trip. TOT, RNR, and TSM are our favorite rides and up until this past Friday, the 28th we had managed several rides on these as well as SDD. We like that HS allows the 30 minute gap, but still lets you ride what you want by going through the FP line starting at closing. AK and MK have not done this for us. We had purchased tickets for the 21st prior to our trip and then I was able to get an extra day off from work so we arrived early afternoon on the 14th and decided to get tickets to that after hours as well. We had so much fun on those two days. I decided to extend our trip for an extra day so we could go to the HS after hours on the 28th. Big letdown. After two perfect nights, the 28th was a huge disappointment. The only ride that was reasonable for a paid event was RNRC. It was not walk-on, but it was under 10 minutes the whole night. TOT, SDD, and TSM had consistent waits of 25-40 minutes all night. TOT posted a 35 minute wait, but we waited longer than that once. SDD was only about 15 minutes between 9:00 and 9:30, but after the fireworks it was crazy. There were at least 4 times more people at the park during the event than had been there the previous two weekends. I intend to send an email to Disney to let them know, I think these waits with everything operational were not acceptable for a paid event.

ETA: The snacks and drink locations are still the best of any after hours at HS. Everything is the temp it should be and locations are plentiful and easy to find. We only rode 5 total rides between 9:30 and 12:30. We can do better during the day by refreshing FP.

Thanks for the report. I’ve been debating doing this when I’m at Disney in a couple of weeks. The more reports like this that I read, the more I’m thinking I will save my money!

Reactions: CJN
Just waking up and getting my thoughts together from yesterday.

We got to HS at 4:30. We have APs, so no big deal. Grabbed Starbucks then headed to Mike and Sulley. Waited about 45 minutes for them. Met Chewie then BB8 then headed to Baseline. Got stuck there longer than planned thanks to a storm.

We grabbed our wristbands at about 7:30 then did ToT FP. Yes I rode. Never again. :p

Fantasmic crowd was building. Several tour groups.

Headed to TSMM for our FP at about 8:15. Lots of people were leaving TSL at this point.

It was raining again, so we found a covered bench near the Lunchbox and waited.

Rode Aliens at 9. They were still letting day guests in even then. Waited about 15 minutes.

Rode Slinky 3 times between 9:30-10:30. Queue moved quickly, but it was pretty darn full. MDE showed waits between 20-30 minutes all night and I would say that was accurate. Heard a few people complaining, but I knew what to expect. Fireworks while riding gets a thumbs up from me. So cool.

We had ice cream sandwiches and drinks between Slinky rides. Grabbed popcorn on the way to ST.

Headed to Star Tours, then Mickey and Minnie. No waits for those.

Headed to ToT. Husband and daughter rode while I waited. It took them about 30-40 minutes. They said people snuck popcorn on and it made a huge mess that needed to be cleaned. :sad2:

At this point it was about 11:50 and my daughter declined another ride on Slinky. Good thing since the wait was still 30 minutes.

Headed out and caught Movie Magic at midnight. I was so happy to see it!!!

Bus was waiting for us at the stop when we walked up.

There were more people last night than I saw in March. Drinks were cold. Snacks plentiful all night.

We had a great time. I hope it continues when there are more things open. The ToT refurb definitely has an impact on this event.

We got to HS at 4:30. We have APs, so no big deal. Grabbed Starbucks then headed to Mike and Sulley. Waited about 45 minutes for them. Met Chewie then BB8 then headed to Baseline. Got stuck there longer than planned thanks to a storm.

We grabbed our wristbands at about 7:30 then did ToT FP. Yes I rode. Never again. :p

Headed to TSMM for our FP at about 8:15. Lots of people were leaving TSL at this point.

Rode Aliens at 9. They were still letting day guests in even then. Waited about 15 minutes.

Rode Slinky 3 times between 9:30-10:30. Queue moved quickly, but it was pretty darn full. MDE showed waits between 20-30 minutes all night and I would say that was accurate. Heard a few people complaining, but I knew what to expect. Fireworks while riding gets a thumbs up from me. So cool.

We had ice cream sandwiches and drinks between Slinky rides. Grabbed popcorn on the way to ST.

Headed to ToT. Husband and daughter rode while I waited. It took them about 30-40 minutes. They said people snuck popcorn on and it made a huge mess that needed to be cleaned. :sad2:

At this point it was about 11:50 and my daughter declined another ride on Slinky. Good thing since the wait was still 30 minutes.

There were more people last night than I saw in March. Drinks were cold. Snacks plentiful all night.

We had a great time. I hope it continues when there are more things open. The ToT refurb definitely has an impact on this event.
Thanks. If we go on 7/19, I'll need to lower my expectations and go with the flow.

Thank you for your review, we are going Friday.

I went last night (7/5), got into the park about 8:30 and Slinky was a 45 minute wait, so figured what the heck? Took me to the party start time. Immediately rode it again.

Ended up with the below:

Grand total:
TSM x 4
SDD x 3
ToT x 2
Aliens x 1

Popcorn x 1
Coke x 3
Strawberry bar x 1
Mickey Bar x 1

RnR was about 5-10 minute wait all night. Aliens was about 5 mins all night. TSM fluctuated between 5-15, but even when it was posted 10, you made it to the top for the loading deck stairs.

ETA: the previous poster was correct, about ToT. I got in line when it was posted 40, but while I was in line it dropped to 20. Must’ve been right after the popcorn incident! Ha!

All in all, a good event and since I’m on such a short solo trip, was worth the money to me.

Last edited:
Thanks. If we go on 7/19, I'll need to lower my expectations and go with the flow.

That's when we're going! :) Still excited even with the latest reviews and the ToT issues.

Thank you @jgl130 and @SaintsManiac for the reviews from last night! This is really helping me have realistic expectations for 7/19. Sounds like ToT only once, SDD hopefully twice if we can (we haven't been since TSL), and repeat rides for other things might be the way to go. Thankfully, we love RnRC, ST, and TSM. I know we'll love Alien Saucers, too, because I've read that it's identical to Mater's at DCA and I adore that ride - it cracks me up. We do have a FP for TOT a few days later, so at least we'll get 2 rides in this trip, which seems like about all we can expect with its current capacity.

That's when we're going! :) Still excited even with the latest reviews and the ToT issues.

Thank you @jgl130 and @SaintsManiac for the reviews from last night! This is really helping me have realistic expectations for 7/19. Sounds like ToT only once, SDD hopefully twice if we can (we haven't been since TSL), and repeat rides for other things might be the way to go. Thankfully, we love RnRC, ST, and TSM. I know we'll love Alien Saucers, too, because I've read that it's identical to Mater's at DCA and I adore that ride - it cracks me up. We do have a FP for TOT a few days later, so at least we'll get 2 rides in this trip, which seems like about all we can expect with its current capacity.

@disneycat321 You’re welcome! It really was a great time! I could have kept looping TSM all night... 414977

It amazes me what kind of impact a partial closure of ToT has on things like this event, the rope drop experience, wait times during the day, etc. It went from a barely mentioned to a consistent line. I know it's obvious that less capacity will equal more line...just interesting to see the material impact.

Love the emojis, omg!!!

Quick question - how long do you think one ride on TSM took you at DAH? I'm kind of assuming that's a longer ride, but I've never actually timed it, so...

It was about a 15 minute loop from entrance to exit back into Toy Story Land. The bulk of it was walking through the queue and exit path. The ride itself is something like 6 minutes long.

QUESTION-hoping someone sees this. It sounds like drinks are included. Just checking-bottles of water are available for free at this event? Or available to purchase. Just asking because I tend to shlep at least 3 bottles of water with me. I am arriving about 8pm-headed to dinner at Primetime so thinking if water is available for free will just bring one bottle with me. Thanks! I'll post thoughts next week about event.

QUESTION-hoping someone sees this. It sounds like drinks are included. Just checking-bottles of water are available for free at this event? Or available to purchase. Just asking because I tend to shlep at least 3 bottles of water with me. I am arriving about 8pm-headed to dinner at Primetime so thinking if water is available for free will just bring one bottle with me. Thanks! I'll post thoughts next week about event.
Yes, they have bottled water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter