**Disney After Hours - Animal Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

This would be the only way I could see success long term for at least AK. SWL would help DHS. If they are banking on FoP and SDD to sell these, I think they will fail. I don't care they are offering food/drink spots open for me to purchase, I'm not wasting part of my three hours (aka $33-40 per hour) to pay more. Right now, there are not enough rides at AK or DHS for me to pay to do it ..... but if you throw in some characters and more like you say ... booking it.

You are starting to sound as optimistic as me. :D Here, have a snickers.

:rotfl2:

Character meet and greets would be great! Especially at AK because I feel like it's such a huge park - it takes a while just to get from one place (attraction) to another.

I've been thinking about a birthday trip in the end of January, and I would have loved to try one of the new ones for a little splurge and so I could skip the park hopper on the short trip and still get in all four parks, but the dates aren't quite right unfortunately...

This would be the only way I could see success long term for at least AK. SWL would help DHS. If they are banking on FoP and SDD to sell these, I think they will fail. I don't care they are offering food/drink spots open for me to purchase, I'm not wasting part of my three hours (aka $33-40 per hour) to pay more. Right now, there are not enough rides at AK or DHS for me to pay to do it ..... but if you throw in some characters and more like you say ... booking it.

You are starting to sound as optimistic as me. :D Here, have a snickers.

Funny. Hey, I didn't say which side of the glass was more full than the other. :-)

I remember the late nights at AK a couple of years ago. It was before Pandora, back when they ran that Jungle Book thing before RoL. I can't remember exactly how late the park was open but DS and I were there one night and felt like we were just about the only people there. Like, kind of creepy empty all around the park. It was awesome, don't get me wrong - I love AK and the park is beautiful at night - but that was 'free'.

I hate when Disney releases these things but gives precious little info. Would it have killed them to just release everything all at once? :mic:

Funny. Hey, I didn't say which side of the glass was more full than the other. :-)

I remember the late nights at AK a couple of years ago. It was before Pandora, back when they ran that Jungle Book thing before RoL. I can't remember exactly how late the park was open but DS and I were there one night and felt like we were just about the only people there. Like, kind of creepy empty all around the park. It was awesome, don't get me wrong - I love AK and the park is beautiful at night - but that was 'free'.

I hate when Disney releases these things but gives precious little info. Would it have killed them to just release everything all at once? :mic:

I can imagine it would feel really empty - I can definitely see the creepy factor! But AK is so beautiful at night and I love EE at night too!

On the bolded, I agree! I feel like I could adjust my dates a bit, since with the short time frame it could make more sense, but hard to know if it's worth it and time is short!

Jungle Book thing .............. and thing is putting it kindly, unless you mean The Thing.

I did the EMH at AK a few times, many years ago when we showed our room key card to stay in the park. As you say it was so weird (I like creepy) to be in such darkness, quiet and wandering around like we snuck it. I loved it! And we had Everest then so all that has been added is Pandora really. They need to bring a bit more to the offering than Pandora for me to pay that much.

We were there over July 4 last year. Animal Kingdom was open til 1am during that time to cope with Pandora crowds. They definitely offered a nighttime safari. We watch Rivers of Light one night. I’m thinking this was around a 9pm show. We then got something to eat and wandered over to the safari. It must have been about 10ish. There was only one other family on it. There were things we couldn’t see but plenty we could. We really enjoyed the different experience. When we got off we headed over to FoP. Line said 2 hours but was actually only 1. We were off that by midnight.

We were there over July 4 last year. Animal Kingdom was open til 1am during that time to cope with Pandora crowds. They definitely offered a nighttime safari. We watch Rivers of Light one night. I’m thinking this was around a 9pm show. We then got something to eat and wandered over to the safari. It must have been about 10ish. There was only one other family on it. There were things we couldn’t see but plenty we could. We really enjoyed the different experience. When we got off we headed over to FoP. Line said 2 hours but was actually only 1. We were off that by midnight.
What kinds of animals did you see on the night time safari? We always miss the lions because we normally go when they are sleeping.

As long as it doesn't shorten regular park hour, i don't have a problem with it but between 8:00 - 9:00, regular hour visitors are still inside FoP queue so you may have to wait until 9 to ride it with shorter wait

Possibly. But Disney could solve this easily by letting DAH guests use the FP line starting at 8. All those people still in the standby queue would have a LONG wait, but it would really just negate the end-of-night advantage for them and have it be like riding in the middle of the day.

They need to bring a bit more to the offering than Pandora for me to pay that much.

You also have an AP. For people who live farther away, doing after hours can replace a day's park ticket. Of course, tickets become progressively less expensive the more days you book, so it would still be a big expense for a long trip, but for a short trip, the price for 3 days of parks and the price for 2 days of parks plus an After Hours ticket really isn't that much different.

You also have an AP. For people who live farther away, doing after hours can replace a day's park ticket. Of course, tickets become progressively less expensive the more days you book, so it would still be a big expense for a long trip, but for a short trip, the price for 3 days of parks and the price for 2 days of parks plus an After Hours ticket really isn't that much different.

COMPLETELY agree with you. Great option. On some trips DH would just enjoy hotel or work on days we went to parks then join us for a Halloween or Christmas Party getting all he wanted to done ... of course that was when parties were not a sea of guests. I think what it might do is open the window for folks to do split trips between Disney and Universal.

That said I do think many of these extras are aimed at AP holders who have more cash to throw around since they are not buying tickets. I know there are plenty of us on here that rationalize all these extras with ... well I didn't pay to walk in the parks so I can pay for parties etc. Especially since we also get them discounted. BUT, there has to be value for us too.

I have felt all along that the monetary value of a FP+ is $15. So if you complete 9-12 attractions during DAH it would be equivalent of buying FP+ for each ride. When rides are included with events whether Fireworks Dessert Parties, Dining Packages etc I always take $15 out of the number since I consider them paying for FP+. With something like Frozen Dessert, that is 2 FP+ .... that's just me, I value each event by what is provided with a $ sign attached. Then decide if what is provided is something I'd pay for.

PS. I do live far away, Atlanta. So when I go I have to book hotels and factor in 2 "days" travel.

COMPLETELY agree with you. Great option. On some trips DH would just enjoy hotel or work on days we went to parks then join us for a Halloween or Christmas Party getting all he wanted to done ... of course that was when parties were not a sea of guests. I think what it might do is open the window for folks to do split trips between Disney and Universal.

That said I do think many of these extras are aimed at AP holders who have more cash to throw around since they are not buying tickets. I know there are plenty of us on here that rationalize all these extras with ... well I didn't pay to walk in the parks so I can pay for parties etc. Especially since we also get them discounted. BUT, there has to be value for us too.

I have felt all along that the monetary value of a FP+ is $15. So if you complete 9-12 attractions during DAH it would be equivalent of buying FP+ for each ride. When rides are included with events whether Fireworks Dessert Parties, Dining Packages etc I always take $15 out of the number since I consider them paying for FP+. With something like Frozen Dessert, that is 2 FP+ .... that's just me, I value each event by what is provided with a $ sign attached. Then decide if what is provided is something I'd pay for.

PS. I do live far away, Atlanta. So when I go I have to book hotels and factor in 2 "days" travel.

All good points. I can't bring myself to book dessert parties or EMM, just because once I factor in what I get there vs what I could do for "free" on my own, I haven't found them to be valuable enough to pay for them. That's the value to ME; I realize others find them quite valuable.

I was thinking about this as an option for split trips just to mix things up a bit on a Universal vacation. I wouldn't do it the other way around (hop over to Universal while on a Disney trip), as I'd need park-to-park tickets at Universal (gotta do all the Harry Potter), and those tickets are too expensive for just one day. A DAH ticket gives a good combination of affordability (relatively) for the value of what can be done during a limited park time, and doesn't suck up too much time away from the rest of the vacation.

PS - Atlanta, to me, isn't far at all from Disney. That's like driving New England to DC, which I've totally done for a weekend trip. I'd make more trips to Florida if it didn't cost so much to fly down. Between parking (off site) in NY, flights, and Uber between Disney and MCO, I came in at just under $1000 for transportation last trip. Actually it was more once I factor in gas to the airport and back.

All good points. I can't bring myself to book dessert parties or EMM, just because once I factor in what I get there vs what I could do for "free" on my own, I haven't found them to be valuable enough to pay for them. That's the value to ME; I realize others find them quite valuable.

I was thinking about this as an option for split trips just to mix things up a bit on a Universal vacation. I wouldn't do it the other way around (hop over to Universal while on a Disney trip), as I'd need park-to-park tickets at Universal (gotta do all the Harry Potter), and those tickets are too expensive for just one day. A DAH ticket gives a good combination of affordability (relatively) for the value of what can be done during a limited park time, and doesn't suck up too much time away from the rest of the vacation.

PS - Atlanta, to me, isn't far at all from Disney. That's like driving New England to DC, which I've totally done for a weekend trip. I'd make more trips to Florida if it didn't cost so much to fly down. Between parking (off site) in NY, flights, and Uber between Disney and MCO, I came in at just under $1000 for transportation last trip. Actually it was more once I factor in gas to the airport and back.

With Universal parks closing earlier, you can make Universal home base then slip over to Disney for DAH. I think these DAH nights could actually be a plus for Universal.

I only mean I'm not a local AP who can go to parks whenever. I still have to look at things with a hotel, budget etc.

Last edited:
Hey, at least there was a ‘thing’ I guess.

Had my Snickers. :-)

You for sure had your Snickers ...
if you are reaching for being a thing was a good thing.
That is simply minutes off my life I can't get back.
Even my pre-gaming at Nomad's didn't help.

Possibly. But Disney could solve this easily by letting DAH guests use the FP line starting at 8. All those people still in the standby queue would have a LONG wait, but it would really just negate the end-of-night advantage for them and have it be like riding in the middle of the day.
This was what I was thinking and would have posted had you not. It’s an extremely easy solution, and should be done at all DAH events. If you are paying a premium price to ride headliners, the event should start at the actual start time, not after a full standby queue of non-hard ticket guests works its way through. FP lines solves this.

How many people are usually at a DAH? I know that unlike the parties, there is a helpful limit on ticket sales so the waits are typically low.

I'm not sure how many theaters there are, but it seemed like there was pretty good capacity at FOP when I was there last week. It also helps that there are two pre-shows (the linking/decontamination room and the final instruction room). With one group riding while the next group is linking, there are two groups engaged in FOP because, at least to me, both seem to be part of the experience. I think you could probably get through several times during DAH, and still have time to ride EE, Dinosaur, etc.

I really think that even if DAH at AK ends up being mostly Pandora, it will still be a good use of time/money for people inclined to do an after hours event. I know DAH at MK provides more opportunities to ride. However, all the rides at MK are much easier to do with reasonable waits or to get FP for, so it's more cost-effective (though not more time-effective) to add another day to a multi-day ticket and do MK during regular park hours.

Is there any additional information out yet as to which rides are going to be open?

I'm concerned that the line for FoP may take a couple hours to clear of day guests, making this not such a good deal. I'll be near WDW on an after hours date, however; so assuming tickets don't sell out tomorrow while I'm in a morning meeting, here I come! DAK is my favorite, especially at night! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts