Disney Addict Doing Universal Solo

thepicklebee

Mouseketeer
I have a work conference in Orlando in September and a few of us were going to pop down a few days early (why not? the company pays for the flight) and do Universal. I have a feeling these people are going to bail, however, and I will be doing a solo trip.

I have done a few days at Disney solo before and it was absolutely fine - albeit I have much more experience at Disney than I do Universal (we went once 3 years ago). What things should I know about doing Universal solo? Anything that I might not think about?

Universal rocks the single rider lines as they are available on almost every major ride. I would still plan on going through the regular line for the Harry Potter rides at some point, but beyond that it is single rider all the way!

Just keep an eye on the early closures for Halloween Horror Nights in September. They can sometimes throw a wrench into plans - unless you want to do HHN of course.

Universal rocks the single rider lines as they are available on almost every major ride.

Ooooh I had totally forgot about single rider lines.... I probably would be able to avoid purchasing the Express Pass with that option, I'd imagine. #moremoneyfordrinks

I do Universal solo all the time, since I go much more often than family or friends. And I just love going solo anyway. I live in Orlando and have an annual pass (and am a former team member). You will be going during a pretty slow time of year, so it should be great. You don't need express, especially in the off season. Universal is nothing like Disney, as far as crowds. I actually just got a Disney pass for the first time this week, so I'll be going solo to Disney for the first time next month.

Single rider lines and sit at bars to eat are my two pieces of advice. Go see my man Sky and Mike at NBC Sports Bar, they are the best. That's where I'll be Sept 19-23rd lol.

Good thing about Universal is that they definitely have a lot more SR lines than Disney does. When you go solo and especially if you head there first thing in the morning you can get a lot done just in the first half of the day alone. For example, if I stay on the Universal side and take my time from place to place, I typically I can do 5-6 major attractions by noon.

I’m currently debating between Cabana Bay and Aventura.

I love the crisp, “adult” feel of Aventura but I like the pool at Cabana Bay. Any suggestions?

I’m currently debating between Cabana Bay and Aventura.

I love the crisp, “adult” feel of Aventura but I like the pool at Cabana Bay. Any suggestions?

I have not stayed at Aventura yet, but if i had to pick between the two for a solo trip I would go with that. I have yet to make it to Bistro 17 (Bar on the top of the hotel), but have been dying to check out the views. I would pick it for that reason alone, go up there grab a few drinks to start the night off.

One thing to keep in mind is the Boat transportation to City Walk can't be understated with SF. Its awesome and saves a ton of time/walking especially when you hit the park all day then want to do HHN after until 2am.

That troop back to a bus at the end of an HHN night is devastating.

I have not stayed at Aventura yet, but if i had to pick between the two for a solo trip I would go with that. I have yet to make it to Bistro 17 (Bar on the top of the hotel), but have been dying to check out the views. I would pick it for that reason alone, go up there grab a few drinks to start the night off.

One thing to keep in mind is the Boat transportation to City Walk can't be understated with SF. Its awesome and saves a ton of time/walking especially when you hit the park all day then want to do HHN after until 2am.

That troop back to a bus at the end of an HHN night is devastating.

On the flip side of this, if staying at CB or Aventura, you could take the boat back to SF and then a short walk across the street or next door to CB or Aventura.

Adults can order kids meals, at least at counter service. If you don’t have a big appetite or want room for dessert, that’s the way to go. Unlike at Disney, kids meals don’t come with a drink though. You can also bring as much food and drink in as you like- just no glass. The size of the free lockers at most rides has changed since you last went. Standard size is the same width and depth as before but only about four inches tall. At most locker banks you now use your park ticket/pass to open lockers, so a lanyard is a good idea.

If you like MIB, go first thing in the morning one day. You can ask to ride by yourself since so few people are there. Makes it much easier to get the suit alien.

I’m going old next month to Cabana Bay, I love it there! Adventure looks nice but a little too modern and sterile for my liking but I am biased because I love mid century theming lol. I’m going to go in the lazy river every day :)

If splashing around in the pool after a hard day of park riding is important to you, then book Cabana Bay. If not, then Aventura and splash around in the bath tub or toilet bowl instead. Either resorts are excellent so you win-win either way!

If splashing around in the pool after a hard day of park riding is important to you, then book Cabana Bay. If not, then Aventura and splash around in the bath tub or toilet bowl instead. Either resorts are excellent so you win-win either way!

LOL. Whats so hard about going on rides?

This past January i went solo to Universal with a "Buy 2 days get 2 days free 3 park ticket". It got to the point where i was running out of stuff to do because almost everything was a walk on with being a single rider. even the water park!

I would often start off at the parks, head to Volcano Bay when it warmed up, and then back to the parks as it cooled off. With me doing this, i grew very jealous of those staying at Aventura due ti guests being able to walk right from the water park to their room since it's connected.

Needless to say i will be staying at Aventura this coming January.

I find doing Universal solo is better/easier than Disney

I second that. One big difference is a lot more SR lines. Then even in the ones where there isn't SR sometimes, if they don't ask for two riders, they'll ask for a single.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter