Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

Thank you all! I have a few bags of magicbands. I hope I can figure out the newest ones? Anyway to check them to see if they "work"?

I found magicbands for $9.99 each. We are staying on property at GF. I just don't want to have any issues with the old ones. Maybe I will just order new ones. Just don't want to in case I don't need to! Thanks for your help!

Thank you all! I have a few bags of magicbands. I hope I can figure out the newest ones? Anyway to check them to see if they "work"?
Have a look in your MDE account where all your bands show up. You might be able to see the sequence there and know which are oldest (I can't recall offhand)

I found our 5 magicbands from 2018. Do I need to activate them when we arrive to the resort? Can I do it beforehand?

Thank you. I found the 5 that we had. I will look on my disney app and try to figure it out. Appreciate it!
FYI I found that the list of my MBs on the MDE website was more accurate than on the MDE app.

If the MBs you have are marked as Active in the MDE list, you're good to go - they'll work for anything that requires tapping Mickey to Mickey but may or may not work for linking long-distance ride photos. If they're marked as Inactive, a simple click should make them Active again!

FYI I found that the list of my MBs on the MDE website was more accurate than on the MDE app.

If the MBs you have are marked as Active in the MDE list, you're good to go - they'll work for anything that requires tapping Mickey to Mickey but may or may not work for linking long-distance ride photos. If they're marked as Inactive, a simple click should make them Active again!
Thank you. You saved me $50. Haha. A few meals at Counter service!

We each have multiport wall chargers that we plug in at the resort to charge all our stuff. We don't need power strips, and such, but it is a mess. Oh and most resorts DO have USB ports (but they are only 5v/2A so really slow charging but good enough for the bands) in addition to AC wall sockets.

But in the parks, my wife, our son and I each carry our own bag with power bank and cords so we don't have to fight over who gets to charge what in the parks.
with five of us... we need a lot of ports and plugs. I'm also recharging multiple power banks and a camera battery.

Hi! How can I order MagicBands for just 2 out of 4 members of our family from Disney MDE? I want to get our trip discount. My daughter and I got new ones two years ago. However, my husband and son haven't been since 2019, so they need new ones.

In MDE, I go in and select one for each of them, but then the screen stays on the page that says "select" under my name and my daughter's name. How do I move on to check out with just the 2 MagicBands?

Hi! How can I order MagicBands for just 2 out of 4 members of our family from Disney MDE? I want to get our trip discount. My daughter and I got new ones two years ago. However, my husband and son haven't been since 2019, so they need new ones.

In MDE, I go in and select one for each of them, but then the screen stays on the page that says "select" under my name and my daughter's name. How do I move on to check out with just the 2 MagicBands?
You can just select the bands for the people you want to order for and then check out.

Just a note that once you’ve purchased for some of the people in your party, you will not be permitted to go in and purchase for the rest at a later time.

All you want to buy have to be purchased at the same time,

You may have to go to each name and click Decline for anyone who won’t be getting a new MB. That may be Disney’s way to let people know that they can place only one MB order to cover everyone on that reservation.

You can just select the bands for the people you want to order for and then check out.

Just a note that once you’ve purchased for some of the people in your party, you will not be permitted to go in and purchase for the rest at a later time.

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll wait a few weeks and decide later because the orange bird band is very tempting.

First time back in over 2 years…first trip as a non AP since 2015. Question is has everyone ditched their magic bands for the phone app or are magic bands still very much in use? Daughter and I bought new magic bands our last trip and the “2 year battery life” has never applied as we’ve used magic bands after 3 or 4 years and they’ve still worked. This is sort of a last minute trip so playing catch up. We do plan to utilize VQ/G+/LL. Staying at the Swan reserve starting Sunday

First time back in over 2 years…first trip as a non AP since 2015. Question is has everyone ditched their magic bands for the phone app or are magic bands still very much in use? Daughter and I bought new magic bands our last trip and the “2 year battery life” has never applied as we’ve used magic bands after 3 or 4 years and they’ve still worked. This is sort of a last minute trip so playing catch up. We do plan to utilize VQ/G+/LL. Staying at the Swan reserve starting Sunday
We still use our MB! Much more convenient to me than pulling out the phone or ticket card.

Does Disney sell the regular old magic bands anymore? We have no need for the fancier magic band plus.
I was wondering the same thing. We really don't want the Magic Band +, but there are very few choices online for regular bands. I'm wondering if there are regular Magic Bands sold in the parks so we can buy them when we get there. Curious if anyone has seen them.

The band has no impact on your eligibility for or use of VQ/G+/LL.

Keep in mind the "2 year battery life" is for the LONG RANGE features only. The Short range (tapping) features will continue to work.

So where you might miss out with older bands is on rides like 7Dwarfs Mine Train, Pirates, Frozen, Slinky Dog Dash, and others where they auto-link your ride photos/videos (there are no monitors to tap to claim your photos). Auto-linking those is using the long range feature of the band.

That being said, if you like your old bands, want to use them for tapping, and don't want to do the Fab50 Quest or Batuu Bounty Hunters, you can use the old bands tapping and try setting up Magic Mobile on your phone/app. It is supposed to work for the long range features, although it can be unreliable, so make note of your ride times, and be prepared to visit the "Memory Maker Sales Center" in the parks to claim your photos if they don't show up automatically. For more see Post 341

Example: I'm one who has many old graphic bands, and I love using them because they are unique and some make special sounds and colors at the tap points. Unfortunately they are all 3+ years old and their long range doesn't work. So other year I buy the cheapest MB2 band I can find, link it, pull its puck, and put it in a magic keeper hooked to my bag or belt loop, OR put the puck in an outside compartment on my park bag. It does the long range, and my old bands do the tapping.

This is exactly what i came to ask. we had already ordered our magic bands and now I just added my son and his friend to our reservation. darn it I don't want the mb+ either. I guess i need tofind some mb and try to figure out how to link them. thanks!

This will be out first trip with MB+ and so far, I'm not a fan. We will be traveling with 2 people ( a child and a senior citizen) who do not have their own smartphones. As of now, I am in control of their bands. From what I am reading, I have to choose which person gets the bluetooth features? We can't all be connected to my phone and get the full use of the bands? That makes no sense to me. Am I understanding this right?

Some have asked about availability MB2.0 (or non-MB+ bands). I'm at All Star Sports right now, and the gift shop does have some....

20230622_202434.jpg

Edit: I should mention I only saw MB+ in the Emporium in MK, and I don't recall seeing and MB2.0 bands in Pin Traders in Disney Springs or Celebrity 5 & 10 in DHS.

Last edited:
This will be out first trip with MB+ and so far, I'm not a fan. We will be traveling with 2 people ( a child and a senior citizen) who do not have their own smartphones. As of now, I am in control of their bands. From what I am reading, I have to choose which person gets the bluetooth features? We can't all be connected to my phone and get the full use of the bands? That makes no sense to me. Am I understanding this right?
As far as I've been able to determine, yes that is correct, at least for the Fab 50 Quest and Batuu Bounty Hunter activities, assuming ALL in your party want to do the activity at the same time.

For those activities you are using the Play Disney app. Any age can setup an account and use the app. But once you sign in as Person A, Person A must sign out before person B can sign in. We couldn't figure a way to have multiple people signed into their accounts on a single phone at the same time. So each person would need a device with their MB+ paired and connected and the Play Disney app open.

For the Fab 50 Quest, we didn't get credit unless the Play Disney app was opened and signed in on the phone that had the person's MB+ band connected. Like at first I didn't have the app open on my phone. While I waved at statues, they responded and the band was vibrating like it should, the Play Disney app didn't show me as having gotten that statue when I finally did open the app and went to the Fab 50 Quest. I had to re-visit each. To me, that negates the possibility of Person B doing the quest without a phone or the app being signed in, and then log into the app later.

If there is a way around this, I hope someone can share.

you should be able to update and adjust the settings(like color scheme, brightness, etc) of the bands if all bands are connected to your phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!