Disney’s Live-Action Remakes: A Comprehensive List of the Films in Development

mikepizzo

PM me your funny Disney shirts
For anyone interesting, /Film posted a full list of all the Disney Live-Action Remakes in development. Some things I found intriguing:

The Pinocchio remake I'm more interested in is the one being developed by Warner Bros. Robert Downey Jr is currently set to play Gepetto. One would think RDJ would be tapped to play Gepetto in the Disney remake. Also the fact that the Warner Bros. version picked up Patrick McHale (Over the Garden Wall fame) as a new writer is extremely intriguing. Anyone who has seen Over the Garden Wall probably realizes that his style would work great with a Pinocchio story. Super excited if this actually has legs.

The Night on Bald Mountain remake seems like it's going to be taking the Maleficent route. Giving a character that doesn't require a backstory, a backstory. Hopefully I'm wrong and the film follows a group of people that have to face Chernabog as a villain, instead of making the film about him being misunderstood.

The Prince Charming film actually sounds a lot more interesting than I thought it would. I think making it a comedy is the only way it could really work.

The Tinker Bell movie seems kind of tired. Any of these that have "Maleficent-style retelling" doesn't get my hopes up. And speaking about that...

Maleficent 2 is/has been in development. Not sure where you can really take this story, but where there is another potential $758+million, there's a way.

I'm calling this now...the Emma Stone Cruella De Ville film will have the titular character getting mistreated by her mother/family where they use dogs to scare her or something. Yet another "misunderstood" villain story...pass.

Interested to see anyone that's worked on Game of Thrones also work on a Sword in the Stone remake.

I think it's a smart move for Disney to not even try to make a Robin Hood remake. There's already 4 movie studios that have Robin Hood movies in development. Talk about overkill.

The Little Mermaid remake has had it's fair share of bumps along the way. Not sure how much a remake can really bring to the table.

So what do you guys think. It will be interesting to see how many of these films "in development" actually come to light. "Order of the Seven" was in the works for a while but has since been killed. Always interesting to think of the movies that "never were" (or should I say "have yet to")

See now the Chernabog story sounds interesting to me. It doesn't necessarily have to be about him being misunderstood but if it sheds some light on him in a new story.

Would love to see a Fantasia live-action. I can envision Disney producing a live-action Tarzan in the future after the success of the Jungle Book last year.

See now the Chernabog story sounds interesting to me. It doesn't necessarily have to be about him being misunderstood but if it sheds some light on him in a new story.

From everything I have read Chernabog was to Walt the embodiment of evil so I really hope they don't give him some reason for being that way and turning him into a sympathetic figure .... we don't need Emo Chernabog

I'm calling this now...the Emma Stone Cruella De Ville film will have the titular character getting mistreated by her mother/family where they use dogs to scare her or something. Yet another "misunderstood" villain story...pass.
Well that was the route once upon a time basically took so....

I finally saw Beauty and the Beast this past weekend and I was totally blown away. Disney put forth clear effort in their casting and production details. I was touched by the music and amazed by the CGI. As long as this type of quality continues, I look forward to future films of this nature from Disney.

Will Smith is being looked at to play the genie in guy richies aladdin remake and I already feel the bile rising up #notmygenie

A Bald Mountain live action film sounds very interesting. If they go the route of Maleficent and Cruella, then I'll pass. I fail to understand the need to make the Disney Villains misunderstood...

That's a result of our waning culture: the bad guys aren't bad, the good guys aren't good. There is no right or wrong, just points of view. I love Disney, but they are leading the charge on that race to the bottom.

A Bald Mountain live action film sounds very interesting. If they go the route of Maleficent and Cruella, then I'll pass. I fail to understand the need to make the Disney Villains misunderstood...

THIS. I really wish they would not made "Maleficent" and instead did a Sleeping Beauty remake. Why did they make such an awesome villain into something so soft. She started out being her normal evil self but then turned all nice at the end. Not a fan of it, and if they do the same to the Chernabog I will be very disappointed. At least in the new Beauty and the Beast, Gaston was still his usual self.

I'm kind of surprised they're not remaking the newer animated films as live action.

How popular would a princess and the frog/tangled/frozen be?

I'm kind of surprised they're not remaking the newer animated films as live action.

Well... Frozen is coming to Broadway. That's a real "live action" fix if you want to spend the money. And I'm guessing it will be serious money if it is any good at all at least for the first couple years.

I think they're still seeing the money come in for those at least frozen. They also have a frozen sequel in the works. Making a remake/live action for that right away migh not be the best approach.

Princess and the frog might be an interesting live action film tho.

The current trend is nostalgia. That's what's making money right now. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, etc, they are not nostalgic yet.

The current trend is nostalgia. That's what's making money right now. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, etc, they are not nostalgic yet.

I think that could be partly true. However, Princess and the Frog came out in 2009. Tangled came out in 2010. I feel like I have nostalgia for things that happened 10 or less years ago.

Nostalgia isn't necessarily a concept that means something good that happened to you a long long time ago, it just has to be something that happened in the past. It's more a time period where good things happened or you really enjoyed yourself. I think it is just re-making things that people really enjoyed the first go round. Doesn't necessarily have to be something you enjoyed a long time ago.

Even though Tangled only made 200 million domestically, I feel like that movie really has legs. It is still very popular among people my age and younger who will still post about it on instagram and twitter.

I think you're thinking of the Universal adaptation of "The Little Mermaid" when you say it's had it's fair share of bumps along the way. That version has had writers, directors, and the lead actress all drop out at different points. I believe that ones now been unofficially cancelled, which is a shame because it would be great to see a non-Disney fairytale movie these days (especially of the fairytales that Disney changed a lot, like the Little Mermaid). The Disney version is still pretty new, Alan Menken has said they've only had one meeting about it but he seemed excited. Since Lin Manuel-Miranda is a producer on the film, I'm assuming it won't really move forward until he's done with Mary Poppins Returns.

As far as what this remake can bring to the table, I don't think Disney is too concerned about any of these movies really bringing anything "new" as long as they get people to go see an old favorite, and I'd bet they're hoping Lin-Manuel Miranda will bring a new perspective to the movie, since he'll be in control of music instead of Alan Menken. He's played characters from the Caribbean in both of his Broadway shows, so he can surely bring more of that culture to the movie beyond "Under the Sea," and perhaps Disney will take a risk and go with his Hamilton style of casting regardless of race.

I'm excited to see what they do with Little Mermaid, though I doubt we'll see it for a while. Since Disney green-lit both Splash and Little Mermaid remakes in the span of just a few months, I wonder if they'll make Splash first as a kind of "test run" of the technology they'll need for Little Mermaid. Splash needs under water scenes and fish tails, but not nearly for as much time as Little Mermaid will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!