Disabled restrooms

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by blondietink, Jun 7, 2018.

1. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

The DAS is up to the CM at Gr ( or it should be) not all Disabilities get or need a DAS, As others have said if ( and I am not holding my breath that Disney will put showers in the theme park ) then they will need to have it regulated somehow, or the people that really need it will never be able to use it. SO yes they should have some CM regulating the use of it just like you can not go up to a ride and say I need a return time because I have a disability you must go talk to GR CM and explain your needs

2. DisneyOma

DisneyOma DIS Veteran

The DAS is pretty much given out to anyone who asks a certain way. Pretty soon it will be like the GAC, IMO. But, more to the point, who is to say who really needs a shower? (And I agree, I doubt they will put them in restrooms, but only because of the added liability. And the fact that no one really has to have a shower at the theme parks, as they can go back to their hotel if they have to have one. The ones in airports make sense, but only if they are for everyone. Lots of people get stuck in an airport overnight and need a shower, for one reason or another.)

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. gap2368

gap2368 DIS Veteran

I do not see the shower thing happening and I do not ever see you understand why someone might need a shower at s theme park ( and I would consider your self lucky that you do not) with this said I am done with this conversation so have a great day

5. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

I could see a possibility of adding a shower in First Aid for those who might need it, but not anywhere else.
    Why First Aid?

So, it can be monitored.
    In the parks, we use the Companion Restrooms, handicapped stalls if they are large and have a sink or the restroom in First Aid.
    We need a sink and toilet, but I no longer need to transfer DD to the toilet because she has a stoma that I can catheterize her through.
    When I needed to transfer her, more often than not, I had to spend at least 5 minutes cleaning the restroom before I could use it. People often leave toilet paper or paper covers on the toilet, toilet paper and towels on the floor and some of the floors have enough water on the floor that it looked like ducks had bathed in the sink!
    Because I was lifting her to put her on and off the toilet, I needed the floor to be clean and dry to avoid slipping.
    I still clean it for the next person using it, because the next person might not be physically able to do it, but I no longer need to transfer her.

Showers would require a lot more than a bathroom - dirty towels picked up, general cleaning, a supply of clean towels. I have used the showers by exercise rooms at different hotels we’ve been at and people often leave them in less than ‘ready for the next guest’ disarray.
    The only way I can see showers in the parks would be in First Aid where staff could be aware it was used and clean/check it after each use.

SteveMouse, kirstenb1, Lilsia and 8 others like this.
  6. JoJoGirl

JoJoGirl Mouseketeer

While in Orlando International Airport yesterday, I was thrilled to find a companion restroom with a full-sized changing table that raised and lowered! We really needed it at the moment, and it was a godsend. The things I get excited about! :tongue:

7. Haimia

Haimia Mouseketeer

OMG, what a post. So, Europe may have these facilities and not like it that US does not have them everywhere Europeans want them. From what I understand, the first aid stations are an option and would work for this. Let's stop debating the availability of these types of restrooms. When I go to Europe, they don't have all the facilities I would like to see, but I adapt!

8. alizesmom

alizesmom Dreaming of Disney.

If I found these at Disney I think it would become my favorite attraction. I long ago gave up going anywhere but First Aid because there is no way I’m changing my child on the floor.

9. blondietink

blondietink DIS Veteran

That is wonderful to hear about! A full size changing table/bed that can be adjusted in height!!!!

10. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

Thought I would add this older post about the Orlando airport
    the ones at the Orlando airport are very nice and are fully adjustable in height.
    They replaced all of their fixed height ones with the new accessible ones. I took pictures on our last trip. Unfortunately, my phone decided to delete the pictures. This is what they look like:
    View attachment 247403

11. ttintagel

ttintagel DIS Veteran

Things must have changed in Europe since I was there last. I remember being struck by a conspicuous lack of accessible bathrooms in English cities.