DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

Not gonna lie, I have had enough of the obsession of DIS+ subs. No one seems to care if Dis+ turns a profit.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disn...questions-loom-for-media-giant-182433503.html

Disney jumps 6% after huge subscriber and earnings beat
Alexandra Canal
·Senior Reporter
Wed, August 10, 2022 at 3:08 PM·4 min read

Disney (DIS) reported its fiscal third quarter earnings on Wednesday after the bell as the company works to provide more clarity on its direct-to-consumer strategy while also battling macroeconomic headwinds.

Disney shares climbed higher on the heels of the report, up about 6% in after-hours trading.

Here are Disney's third quarter results compared to Wall Street's consensus estimates, as compiled by Bloomberg:
  • Revenue: $21.5 billion versus $21 billion expected
  • Adj. earnings per share (EPS): $1.09 versus $0.96 expected
  • Disney+ subscriber net additions: 14.4 million million versus 10 million expected
  • Parks, experience and consumer products revenue: $7.39 billion versus $6.65 billion expected
Disney's parks, experience and consumer products segment continued to thrive amid a surge in spring travel, particularly among international travelers.

Still, analysts have cautioned that a worsening economy could spell trouble for the parks business in the quarters to come. Investors will want more clarity on how Disney's management team plans to keep up that momentum, especially in the face of macroeconomic challenges like inflation.

Similarly, Disney+ subscriber numbers blew past expectations, thanks to new market launches and a robust slate of content that includes the recently debuted "Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Disney also revealed that it will be raising its Disney+ ad-free streaming price by 38%.

Not gonna lie, I have had enough of the obsession of DIS+ subs. No one seems to care if Dis+ turns a profit.
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2022/08/q3-fy22-earnings.pdf

Direct-to-Consumer

Direct-to-Consumer revenues for the quarter increased 19% to $5.1 billion and operating loss
increased $0.8 billion to $1.1 billion. The increase in operating loss was due to a higher loss at Disney+,
lower operating income at Hulu and, to a lesser extent, a higher loss at ESPN+.

Lower results at Disney+ reflected higher programming and production, technology and marketing
costs, partially offset by increases in subscription revenue and, to a lesser extent, advertising revenue. The
increase in programming and production costs was primarily due to more content provided on the service,
including the impact of airing 64 IPL cricket matches in the current quarter compared to 29 matches in the
prior-year quarter. Higher subscription revenue was due to subscriber growth and increases in retail
pricing, partially offset by an unfavorable foreign exchange impact. The increase in subscribers as well as
in technology and marketing costs reflected growth in existing markets and, to a lesser extent, expansion
to new markets. Advertising revenue growth was due to the additional IPL matches in the current quarter.

The decrease at Hulu was due to higher programming and production and marketing costs, partially
offset by subscription revenue growth. The increase in programming and production costs was primarily
due to higher subscriber-based fees for programming the Live TV service reflecting an increase in the
number of subscribers, rate increases and the carriage of more networks. Subscription revenue growth was
due to increases in subscribers and in retail pricing.
Lower results at ESPN+ were due to higher sports programming costs, partially offset by an increase
in subscription revenue due to subscriber growth.

So when does Disney become a no brainier buy? It is now right around it's pandemic low, when the world and most of their divisions were shut down. If it's long term money (5-10 years) I would think we would see an average to above average return.

Welp, I definitely missed the bottom. Lol

I pretty much called a bottom in that post above on June 15. Did I act upon it with a sizable cash pile I was waiting to deploy- Nope. Did I miss a 30% pop - Yep. 😭 (To be honest, this shaky management team and their constant mis-steps in the public relations area really had me thinking twice about putting more $'s in.)

I pretty much called a bottom in that post above on June 15. Did I act upon it with a sizable cash pile I was waiting to deploy- Nope. Did I miss a 30% pop - Yep. 😭 (To be honest, this shaky management team and their constant mis-steps in the public relations area really had me thinking twice about putting more $'s in.)
I legit thought that inflation and GDP were going to be worse. I thought $80-85 was a real possibility.

What do you guys think of Disney possibly partnering with a sports book in the near future?

What do you guys think of Disney possibly partnering with a sports book in the near future?
Heard Len Testa talk about this like 6months ago. He made it seems like they would build out the platform internally. I am not sure. It plays well with the ESPN stuff. I know nothing about the gambling business but it would no doubt make money.

Not sure that it plays well with the family friendly brand DIS has built but who knows.

Big, big premarket price bump this morning

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DIS?p=DIS

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/the-walt-disney-company-q3-2022-earnings-call-recap/

The Walt Disney Company Q3 2022 Earnings Call RECAP
By Paul Krieger - August 10, 2022 | Walt Disney World

Disney shareholders were eagerly awaiting the Q3 2022 earnings call to find ou how the company is doing, and the results did not disappoint! The Walt Disney Company reported strong growth and record revenue in its Parks and Resorts division and a tremendous increase in Disney+ subscribers. Here’s a recap of the recently released earnings information and what Disney CEO Bob Chapek had to say on the earnings call.

Disney’s total revenue for the quarter was up 26% to $21.5 billion, and earnings per share rose to $1.09 per share.
Disney’s Parks and Resorts division saw a 70% increase in revenue, up to $7.39 billion, driven by higher guest spending and demand across all Disney Parks.

Disney+ ended Q3 2022 with more than 152 million global paid subscribers, adding 14.4 million in this quarter alone and significantly beating expectations by almost five million. This news comes alongside the announcement of a new ad-supported Disney+ subscription launching in the U.S. on December 8th. This new tier will be priced at $7.99 per month.

“We had an excellent quarter, with our world-class creative and business teams powering outstanding performance at our domestic theme parks, big increases in live-sports viewership, and significant subscriber growth at our streaming services. With 14.4 million Disney+ subscribers added in the fiscal third quarter, we now have 221 million total subscriptions across our streaming offerings,” said Bob Chapek, Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “We continue to transform entertainment as we near our second century, with compelling new storytelling across our many platforms and unique immersive physical experiences that exceed guest expectations, all of which are reflected in our strong operating results this quarter.”

Here are some noteworthy takeaways from the call. You can see the official release HERE.

• Disney received 147 PrimeTime Emmy award nominations this year, with 92 of these for shows or movies on the company’s various streaming platforms.
  • Q4 2022 also looks to be a strong quarter for Disney+ with Marvel’s SheHulk, Attorney At Law, Andor, and Disney’s Hocus Pocus 2 scheduled for release.
  • The second annual “Disney+ Day” will occur on September 8th.
  • All Disney Theme Parks are now open, and while domestic parks attendance is slightly below pre-pandemic levels, revenue is significantly higher over that same period.
  • Occupancy of domestic Disney theme park hotels sat at 90% throughout Q3 2022.
  • Question whether Disney Genie+ and Lightning Lane are going as planned? The numbers seem to suggest so based on this comment in the earnings release: “The increase in average per capita ticket revenue was due to the introduction of Genie+ and Lightning Lane…”.
  • Christine McCarthy, Senior Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer at The Walt Disney Company stated that they remain confident that Disney+ will achieve profitability in the fiscal year 2024.
  • Josh D’Amaro shoutout on the success of his team in leading Disney Parks through the pandemic and post-pandemic.
  • Kristine, in speaking on levers of demand within the parks, mentions the sticky subject of Annual Pass availability and sales, stating that if demand would decrease, this could be revisited. BUT, she also notes that no demand decrease has been seen to date, suggesting that we may not be seeing resumed Annual Pass sales anytime soon.
Stock prices for The Walt Disney Company are up approximately 6% in after-hours trading based on these positive results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!