DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

What do you guys think of Disney possibly partnering with a sports book in the near future?
I thought Disney kinda supported Draft Kings once upon a time …?

Per this article, they own a piece of them:

New CEO Bob Chapek seems more open to the idea, saying, "Sports betting [is] a significant opportunity for the company." Disney already owns a minority stake in sports gambling company DraftKings (NASDAQ: DKNG). Making an offer for the rest of the company could be a potential entry point into the industry for Disney. But is it a good idea?

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/should-the-walt-disney-company-acquire-draftkings

My two cents, ESPN could jump into gambling and not damage the parent brand much but I think they should consider splitting off a new ESPN/gaming company. That way they off-load a declining asset (ESPN's cable subscriptions) and that unseemly gaming that goes along with it.

Some try to make the argument that Disney is just like any other theme park, certainly not this quarter:

Six Flags (SIX) – The theme park operator’s stock tumbled 12.8% in the premarket after its quarterly profit and revenue fell well short of Wall Street forecasts. Six Flags saw its results hit by a 22% drop in attendance, among other factors.

Some try to make the argument that Disney is just like any other theme park, certainly not this quarter:

Six Flags (SIX) – The theme park operator’s stock tumbled 12.8% in the premarket after its quarterly profit and revenue fell well short of Wall Street forecasts. Six Flags saw its results hit by a 22% drop in attendance, among other factors.
SIX should have implemented a park reservation system to spread out the demand. Lol. Just kidding.

Like AAPL, DIS is always doomed. They knock an earnings call out of the park and vloggers and media focus on ‘activations across our synergy machine’.

Per this article, they own a piece of them:

New CEO Bob Chapek seems more open to the idea, saying, "Sports betting [is] a significant opportunity for the company." Disney already owns a minority stake in sports gambling company DraftKings (NASDAQ: DKNG). Making an offer for the rest of the company could be a potential entry point into the industry for Disney. But is it a good idea?

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/should-the-walt-disney-company-acquire-draftkings

My two cents, ESPN could jump into gambling and not damage the parent brand much but I think they should consider splitting off a new ESPN/gaming company. That way they off-load a declining asset (ESPN's cable subscriptions) and that unseemly gaming that goes along with it.
I would go a step further and spin off ABC network entirely. It's a rat's nest of political intrigue that doesn't make them nearly as much money as the parks and movies. ESPN spends more time talking about national politics than it does sports, and ABC news is politics 24/7/365. If I were CEO, I would do it this afternoon.

I would go a step further and spin off ABC network entirely. It's a rat's nest of political intrigue that doesn't make them nearly as much money as the parks and movies. ESPN spends more time talking about national politics than it does sports, and ABC news is politics 24/7/365. If I were CEO, I would do it this afternoon.
TBH, I have not watched more than 2 minutes of any of the network news shows in a decade or two so I did not realize they had gone full on politics. And I'll only watch a game on ESPN, so never see what's going on with their other shows. The only news type shows I actually watch are business realted - CNBC, Bloomberg, occasionaly Fox Bus (but they get way to political too). I just don't see them getting rid of all the entertainment content ABC provides when they are currently content starved.

I think they should keep ESPN. ESPN+ seems to be doing quite well and a lot of people I know subscribe just for the NHL package they have.

Look at Bob 2.0 with the scruff! Has he got some superstition going - if I don't shave, we will have winning quarters.

Last edited:
I think they should keep ESPN. ESPN+ seems to be doing quite well and a lot of people I know subscribe just for the NHL package they have.
I think they probably will keep it but I would like to see the math on the expected lost subscribers due to cord cutting vs. the streaming replacements. If it's a declining asset I would think you need to consider all options.

And the dividend question on CNBC just now- a non-answer as usual. He plans to reinstate it when the balance sheet allows.

One other thing that may hold the reinstatement back - they will need a boat load of cash to buy the rest of Hulu in a year or so. With interest rates up, I'm sure they would rather use cash than debt for that purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter