DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

Don't be surprised if DIS follows suit and begins selling advertising. My late brother used to tell me that when cable first appeared on the scene in the 50s one of its selling points was "no advertising." Didn't take them very long to break that promise.
Anybody check their car radio lately? Since the requirement to add back up cameras put a screen in the car, and digital FM, the ads scroll by as a rolling billboard. A bus driver once said, if you are not paying for the product then your eyeballs are the product that they are selling to advertisers - or words to that effect.
Would make sense for an ad supported Disney+, but why not make it free then? The subscriber count would mount quickly justifying that stock multiple of technology companies that Chapek is chasing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/netf...ck-price-slower-revenue-growth-170455996.html

Netflix lays off another 300 employees amid sagging stock price, 'slower revenue growth'
Alexandra Canal
·Senior Reporter
Thu, June 23, 2022 at 12:04 PM·3 min read

Netflix (NFLX) just issued another round of job cuts.

"Today we sadly let go of around 300 employees," a Netflix spokesperson said in a statement.

"While we continue to invest significantly in the business, we made these adjustments so that our costs are growing in line with our slower revenue growth. We are so grateful for everything they have done for Netflix and are working hard to support them through this difficult transition," the spokesperson continues.

https://www.investing.com/news/stoc...heme-park-demand-remains-strong-432SI-2840320

BofA Reiterates Walt Disney Buy While Cutting Target, Says Theme Park Demand Remains Strong
(Jun 23, 2022 12:55PM ET)
By Sam Boughedda

BofA analyst Jessica Reif Ehrlich reiterated a Buy rating on Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) Thursday, lowering the firm's price target on the stock to $122 from $140.

The analyst pointed to strong theme park demand as one of the reasons for their stance on the stock.

"Theme park attendance remains resilient despite recent macro volatility as visitors rarely cancel trips once booked. We believe Disney's recent decision to cancel annual passes at Disneyland (lower per caps) is a positive indicator for booking trends and overall demand," the analyst said. "The return of International visitors should help mitigate any potential softness in US consumer demand."

And they already have plenty of experience and expertise with the Hulu add supported tier so I would expect them to have a jump on Netflix.
Maybe. I don't see it being as profitable as they think it will. I'm sure it will make money but it will never overtake the money the parks bring in.

Maybe. I don't see it being as profitable as they think it will. I'm sure it will make money but it will never overtake the money the parks bring in.
I was only speaking to the step up they would have on a Netflix type that has zero ad selling experience.

I hope they are not dumb enough to over promise and under deliver on the ad tier. of course they could always blame a coming recession for all their misses.

I suspect the fact that it sold out so quickly means that it will be offered again. Maybe a yearly thing?

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/6deee9ec-e311-382d-8c74-765afef28cbd/disney-board-meets-as-chief.html

Disney board meets as chief executive’s contract up in the air
Christopher Grimes in Los Angeles
Sun, June 26, 2022 at 5:06 AM

Disney will launch its new cruise ship, Wish, with great fanfare from Port Canaveral, Florida on Wednesday, but arguably the more significant event for the company and its under-fire chief executive Bob Chapek will be a two-day board meeting that kicks off on Monday. Questions about Chapek’s future at Disney have emerged this year as the company became embroiled in controversy over its handling of the so-called Don’t Say Gay bill in Florida. Monday’s long-scheduled meeting comes less than three weeks after Disney’s board gave Chapek a vote of confidence after a bruising few months.

Here's the LA Times' version. Not a whole lot new here. Reads like it was written by Iger.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...tenure-disney-board-must-weigh-chapeks-future

As Chapek weathers Disney drama, board gathers in Florida
By Ryan FaughnderStaff Writer June 26, 2022 7 AM

...said Jessica Reif Ehrlich, senior media and entertainment analyst at Bank of America. “This has been probably the most dramatic and difficult CEO transition that I’ve ever seen in my career.”

My comments: Plainly, this analyst has never read any DIS history at all, as Roy Edwards' 2003-05 "Save Disney" campaign was a barn burner.

Here's the LA Times' version. Not a whole lot new here. Reads like it was written by Iger.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...tenure-disney-board-must-weigh-chapeks-future

As Chapek weathers Disney drama, board gathers in Florida
By Ryan FaughnderStaff Writer June 26, 2022 7 AM

...said Jessica Reif Ehrlich, senior media and entertainment analyst at Bank of America. “This has been probably the most dramatic and difficult CEO transition that I’ve ever seen in my career.”

My comments: Plainly, this analyst has never read any DIS history at all, as Roy Edwards' 2003-05 "Save Disney" campaign was a barn burner.
It still boggles the mind that this transition was so awful, Iger announced his retirement, what nearly a decade in advance? It really speaks to how bad upper management and the board are that they couldn't get this close to right. If nothing else, it will lead to a new round of interesting books!!

It still boggles the mind that this transition was so awful, Iger announced his retirement, what nearly a decade in advance? It really speaks to how bad upper management and the board are that they couldn't get this close to right. If nothing else, it will lead to a new round of interesting books!!
IMO they didn't do anything wrong. As much as many here hate the change in direction a lot of the the changes were things they have wanted to do, especially park wise. Personally if Chapek goes, I don't expect the replacement to change much.

The big mistake on Bob Chapek is Disney did not realize what a public relation disaster he would be. The head of Disney needs to be first and foremost a great public relations person, the VP's should be handling the business side of all the divisions. The other issue is you better have someone already lined up if the Board decides not to re up Chapek, the last thing you want is a lame duck running the show.

IMO they didn't do anything wrong. As much as many here hate the change in direction a lot of the the changes were things they have wanted to do, especially park wise. Personally if Chapek goes, I don't expect the replacement to change much.

It's not so much what he does as HOW he does it. He is not a very affable CEO and that leads to the constant questioning of his decisions. They need a smoother hand at the top really, even if it wouldn't change the general direction of the company.

The big mistake on Bob Chapek is Disney did not realize what a public relation disaster he would be. The head of Disney needs to be first and foremost a great public relations person, the VP's should be handling the business side of all the divisions. The other issue is you better have someone already lined up if the Board decides not to re up Chapek, the last thing you want is a lame duck running the show.
Yes, both you guys hit the nail on the head. Chapek is not charismatic and there is a lot of hubris. He seems to get in his own way but I find it a bit harsh to not renew him given he was appointed right as a global pandemic hit and now a recession is on the horizon.

In saying that, I think not renewing him is probably the right call given the terrible narrative around the man. You can start fresh and find the right person to lead in and out of the recession.

Would D'Amaro be ready to lead the entire company? Or is it a poison chalice at the moment?

The poor transition doesn't speak necessarily to the direction of the company but the clumsy way it has been implemented. And the fact that there was any animosity between the Bob's while 1.0 was the chairman was ridiculous. They should have been a well oiled machine with 2.0 learning everything he could from 1.0 and working hand in hand on the many challenges around Covid and the streaming transition. Instead it was instant friction and poor PR all over.

With all that time to choose a successor and put together a transition plan, It should have been smooth from start to finish. And I'm sure the blame goes to both of them, not just or favorite pinata.

Last edited:
https://www.streetinsider.com/Corpo...yland+Reopening,+Shares+Gain+3%/20265371.html

Disney (DIS) Announces Shanghai Disneyland Reopening, Shares Gain 3%

June 28, 2022 10:21 AM EDT

Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS) announced Tuesday that Shanghai Disneyland will reopen this week, on June 30.
The reopening comes around a month after the city lifted a two-month-long Covid-related lockdown. The park has been shut since March 21, with the resort having to close due to rising cases.
Shanghai's lockdown was lifted at the start of June, with the park beginning to open some areas not long after. The park will now resume operations with limited daily capacity.
During its initial reopening phase, the majority of its attractions will resume operations with controlled capacity, although some experiences will remain closed, Disney said.

The company said people are able to purchase tickets on Wednesday, with all guests having to show proof of a negative Covid test taken within the last 72 hours.
Disney stock has gained over 3% so far Tuesday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter