• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

https://www.reuters.com/business/me...-woke-says-it-will-cater-audience-2022-10-26/

October 26, 20222:03 PM CDTLast Updated 6 min ago
Disney CEO, asked if company is 'too woke,' says it will cater to audience

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...tial-part-of-disneys-theme-parks-business.htm

Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business
They are essential. According to Len Testa who operates Touring Plans he said

" There's not a direct relationship between park capacity and the number of park reservations. Disney manipulates the number of reservations to ensure the right number of guests in each park. So even if the MK is below capacity, if the AK demand is too low relative to the labor they're paying for, they'll shut off MK reservations to encourage guests to go to AK (and the other parks)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney...fan-experiences-11666819186?mod=hp_lista_pos4

Disney CEO Bob Chapek Wants to Customize Fan Experiences
Disney chief hopes to unite personal data behind company’s parks and streaming services
Oct 26, 2022
The Walt Disney Company is focused on telling stories in “a more customized, more personalized way” and “bringing together the physicality plus the media element of Disney,” chief executive Bob Chapek said Wednesday.

Speaking at The Wall Street Journal’s Tech Live conference, Mr. Chapek said the entertainment company is working on ways to unite its two main business lines—its parks, experiences and products division and its media, content and streaming division—using the Disney+ app. The idea, he said, is to steer content to customers based on what theme park rides a visitor prefers, for example, rather than trying to predict what a customer will like based on past viewing or personal information.

Recommendations based on customers’ demographic characteristics often “are a complete record scratch because it is nothing like what you watch,” Mr. Chapek said. Once the company unites data collection capabilities between its various divisions, “we can give you a better experience in the park, because we know what your preferences are in terms of viewing and a better experience on Disney+ because we know what your affinities are,” he said.

Mr. Chapek said he believes that in the future there will be fewer streaming services than there are today, but spoke as well about the challenge of setting the right pace for adding new content to Disney’s streaming platforms, which include not only Disney+ but also Hulu and ESPN+. He said the right cadence of offerings satisfies viewers but doesn’t overwhelm them.

The Covid-19 pandemic delayed many productions and led to a build up of content in Disney’s pipeline, Mr. Chapek said, but “finally the dam broke and now all that content is rushing out.” This gives the company the opportunity to more thoughtfully plan out how to distribute movies and TV series across its various platforms without worrying about not having enough to show, he said.

Over the last three years, Disney has moved aggressively to expand its menu of general entertainment offerings, including more adult-oriented shows such as “Pam & Tommy” and “The Kardashians” on Hulu, which Mr. Chapek said are an important part of providing options for fans of all ages.

He said that after more than 30 years at the company, he is still surprised by how much “elasticity” the Disney brand has, and said concerns about what’s appropriate to show on a Disney-owned streaming service are probably overstated.

“I want to respect what this brand is. But at the same time, I know that we may be even more precious about what is ‘Disney’ than the consumer base is,” Mr. Chapek said. “If the consumer base has more elasticity, we probably ought to listen to our audience, which means we have more degrees of freedom than we probably thought.”

Mr. Chapek also highlighted Disney’s investments in what he described as “centers of creative excellence” around the globe that develop local-language content in countries such as India.

ESPN continues to be a crucial part of Disney’s business, Mr. Chapek said, as consumers demand a more interactive live sports experience. An activist investor recently called on Disney to spin off the ESPN network, but later backed off after the company explained the brand’s importance.

Whether the ESPN brand incorporates sports-betting in the future will be up to the consumer, according to Mr. Chapek. “We are looking at all different options on how we can deliver on that consumer expectation of a lean-forward sports experience,” he said.

Disney’s parks division has recently made a fresh round of price increases, which, on top of changes at the theme parks since the pandemic meant to generate more income from fewer visitors, have led to tension with longtime Disney fans.

Mr. Chapek said the changes, including higher prices, pricey add-ons to the Disney parks app and an online reservation system that limits crowd size at the parks, are necessary to guarantee a good guest experience in a world where the company can’t control demand and doesn’t want to turn away visitors who have traveled across the country for a family vacation.

“We can have pricing be a reflection of how many people we can actually let in,” he said. “For some of our fans, that is heresy. But it’s not only good business practice in terms of maximizing shareholder value, but it protects the guest experience.”

The CEO also addressed the fallout from a March controversy over the Parental Rights in Education bill, a state law in Florida that limits what sex-education subjects can be taught to elementary-school students. Mr. Chapek faced criticism from a group of Disney employees as well as human-rights activists over the company’s slowness to condemn the bill, which they viewed as anti-LGBT.

What theme park visitors remember more than anything is interactions with park employees, which Disney calls “cast members,” Mr. Chapek said. “So if that is the key to a great guest experience, and we are all about the guest and the audience maximizing their experience, then you have to make sure that the cast is at the center of everything that you do,” he said.

When faced with a tough situation like the one in Florida, Mr. Chapek said it is important to stick to the company’s core values.

“Certainly, we all want to make everybody happy all the time. I’m not sure that is possible in this world,” he said. “What is important is how people think about our company. I take myself out of it and I think that is sort of the surprise….I wash all that away and say, what do we want the capital-D Disney company to stand for?”

Asked what advice he would give to another CEO facing a similar situation to the one Disney confronted in Florida, Mr. Chapek said he would tell them, “Stick to your values. Stick to your north star. Simplify the cacophony of voices out there, and do what you think is right.”

Amid the Florida controversy, some fans, advocacy organizations and elected officials sharpened public criticisms of Disney and its content, particularly movies and series that highlight LGBT relationships and examine gender issues. Critics escalated rhetoric around Disney’s supposed “wokeness” this summer after the release of the animated movie “Lightyear,” which features a same-sex kiss and was banned in countries across the Middle East and North Africa.

Asked if Disney has become “too woke,” Mr. Chapek said that he believes it is the company’s job to cater to fans who love the Disney brand.

“I think Disney is a company that has survived over a hundred years by catering to its audience and it’s going to thrive the next 100 years by catering to its audience,” he said

One bank has some positive things to say about DIS:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/38958...-stocks-with-ads-and-economy-feeding-downturn

KeyBanc analyst Brandon Nispel on Wednesday lowered his estimates on the media sector, rebuilding his model in the face of the group's heavy challenges - notably the macroeconomic downturn and increasing competition for ads in a tough environment.

Only one stock in the group gets an overweight rating from Nispel: Disney (NYSE:DIS), on which he's cutting his price target to $143 from $154. Disney (DIS) stock closed Wednesday at $104.62 a share.

When it comes to advertising, concerns are well documented - and Nispel is worried about a challenging macro environment, recent negative comments from Snap (SNAP) and others around brand advertising, and ad-tier launches of major streaming services from both Netflix (NFLX) and Disney (DIS), which, according to Nispel, "suggests more competition in a declining category."

On affiliate revenues, Nispel expect pay TV subscriber losses to continue in the mid- to high-single digit percentages, and pricing power is "slowly eroding," which will likely result in declines in that revenue stream as well.

On the other hand, a "highly unprofitable" streaming space may be near peak losses and "service consolidation might help the industry structure particularly around streaming churn, which has stabilized in our data," Nispel said.

"Net, we think this is a relatively unattractive space currently," Nispel said.

On his relative high note of Disney (DIS), Nispel said the company's focus on sports positions it favorably in comparison, adding that Disney (DIS) has set up a streaming platform allowing for the transition of its linear customers to streaming - ESPN to ESPN+; FX/ABC general entertainment to Hulu; Disney Channel to Disney+ - that's "difficult for others to replicate." And the company's parks are "resilient" and feeding cash into the business to cover streaming transition costs.

One other positive note comes on Fox (FOX) (NASDAQ:FOXA), which gets a sector weight rating from Nispel, who said the company's core business is undervalued for relative outperformance. The balance sheet is under-levered and it has a shareholder-friendly capital allocation, though it's hard to see how Fox (FOX) (FOXA) manages the linear-to-streaming transition as well as Disney (DIS).

On the downside, Paramount's (NASDAQ:PARA) (PARAA) media networks are "likely poorly positioned and most susceptible to challenging macro and competition." It's at a premium valuation to peers and Nispel expects EBITDA is likely to decline through 2023.

While Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) is working through merger issues, Nispel said "the WarnerMedia assets need fixing, which likely leads to negative underlying growth" Nispel added that Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) is unlikely to outperform amid a large pay TV business and the lack, for now, of a combined HBO Max/Discovery+ streaming service.

And Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) has a relatively healthy core business, even with tough Olympics comparisons, but paid subscriber growth at Peacock is "underwhelming." Nispel has a sector weight on the company's stock, and likes the valuation, saying the catalyst likely comes from the cable side rather than NBCUniversal.

Comcast is set to report earnings on Thursday; Fox, Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery report next week; and Disney is set to report Nov. 8.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/27/comcast-cmcsa-earnings-q3-2022.html

Comcast tops expectations as it squeezes out a small gain in broadband subscribers
Published Thu, Oct 27 20226:31 AM EDTUpdated 12 Min Ago
Lillian Rizzo@Lilliannnn

Key Points
  • Comcast third-quarter revenue slipped 1.5% to $29.85 billion, compared with the prior-year quarter that included the Tokyo Olympics, beating analyst expectations.
  • The company added 14,000 new broadband customers, a continued demonstration of the slowing broadband business growth among U.S. cable companies.
  • Comcast reported its Xfinity Mobile business now has 5 million customer lines.

Forgot to note this important segment of CMCSA

https://www.cmcsa.com/news-releases/news-release-details/comcast-reports-3rd-quarter-2022-results

Theme Parks

Theme Parks revenue increased 42.4% to $2.1 billion in the third quarter of 2022, reflecting increased attendance and guest spending at our parks in the U.S. and Japan compared to the prior year period, and an increase from the operations of Universal Beijing Resort, which opened in September 2021. Theme Parks Adjusted EBITDA increased 88.6% to $819 million in the third quarter of 2022, reflecting higher revenue, partially offset by higher operating expenses. The prior year period included pre-opening costs related to Universal Beijing Resort.

For the nine months ended September 30, 2022, revenue from the Theme Parks segment increased 71.6% to $5.4 billion, primarily reflecting improved operating conditions compared to 2021, when each of our theme parks in the U.S. and Japan was either operating at limited capacity or closed during certain periods as a result of COVID-19, as well as the operations of Universal Beijing Resort, which opened in September 2021. Adjusted EBITDA increased $1.3 billion to $1.9 billion, reflecting higher revenue, partially offset by higher operating expenses.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-shanghai-disney-shuts-over-064941247.html

UPDATE 2-Shanghai Disney shuts over COVID, visitors unable to leave
Brenda Goh and Albee Zhang
Mon, October 31, 2022 at 1:49 AM·2 min read

Oct 31 (Reuters) - Shanghai's Disney Resort abruptly suspended operations on Monday to comply with COVID-19 prevention measures, with all visitors at the time of the announcement directed to stay in the park until they return a negative test for the virus.

The resort said at 11:39 a.m. local time (03:39 GMT) it would immediately shut the main theme park and surrounding areas including its shopping street until further notice to comply with virus curbs.
The Shanghai government said on its official WeChat account the park was barring people from entering or exiting and that all visitors inside the site would need to await the results of their tests before they could leave.

Anyone who had visited the park since Oct. 27 would need to test for COVID-19 three times in three days, it said.

The theme park continued to operate rides for visitors stuck in the park during the closure on Monday, social media users reported.

A Shanghai Disney Resort spokesperson said the resort was still operating "limited offerings" and that they were following measures in line with guidelines from Chinese health authorities.
The resort had on Saturday said that it had started operating with a reduced workforce to comply with COVID measures.

Shanghai reported 10 locally transmitted cases for Oct. 30, all of which it said were people without symptoms.

The closure marks the latest disruption for the Shanghai Disney Resort, which was shut for over three months during Shanghai's lockdown earlier this year.

The park was also closed for two days in November last year with more than 30,000 visitors stuck inside, after authorities ordered all of them to be tested in a contact tracing exercise.
Videos circulating on China's Weibo platform on Monday showed people rushing to the park's gates, which were already locked.

Reuters was not able to verify the authenticity of the videos and the Shanghai Disney Resort did not respond when asked about on how many visitors were inside.
Local authorities across China have continued to impose abrupt and extreme measures to cut any possibility of virus transmission once cases arise, in line with the country's ultra-strict zero-tolerance approach towards COVID-19.

The Universal Resort in the country's capital of Beijing reopened on Monday after a five day closure, which was also prompted by virus measures. (Reporting by Albee Zhang and Brenda Goh; Editing by Kim Coghill, Sam Holmes, Kirsten Donovan)

Well, the above news item is certainly terrifying. Not surprising, however. With zero tolerance in China, it is standard procedure. I don't think it will affect any other park, as that one is not Disney owned.

Well, the above news item is certainly terrifying. Not surprising, however. With zero tolerance in China, it is standard procedure. I don't think it will affect any other park, as that one is not Disney owned.
For 10 cases with no symptoms. That's something.

Per CNBC this morning, rumors are circulating in China that the government is finally ready to move away from the "zero covid" policy so maybe this nonsense will end soon.

Per CNBC this morning, rumors are circulating in China that the government is finally ready to move away from the "zero covid" policy so maybe this nonsense will end soon.
And that was completely shot down by the communist party today, zero covid is the policy now and forever apparently.

zero covid is the policy now and forever apparently.
I have a bit more than six years left on my PRC tourist visa for a trip I took in 2019, and I suspect I will never use it again. I can't see myself entering the country while there's a chance I will be trapped somewhere. During the last city-wide Shanghai shutdown, it was possible for non-residents to leave, but the rules for doing so were complicated and constantly changing.

For that matter, I'm not even sure I'm willing to visit Hong Kong again. I've been to the city once before, but didn't take the opportunity to visit HKDL. That may end up on the "never getting to it" pile.

I have a bit more than six years left on my PRC tourist visa for a trip I took in 2019, and I suspect I will never use it again. I can't see myself entering the country while there's a chance I will be trapped somewhere. During the last city-wide Shanghai shutdown, it was possible for non-residents to leave, but the rules for doing so were complicated and constantly changing.

For that matter, I'm not even sure I'm willing to visit Hong Kong again. I've been to the city once before, but didn't take the opportunity to visit HKDL. That may end up on the "never getting to it" pile.
What a mess they have made of it.
And your one person saying they are probably done with being able to visit there again. I would imagine many companies around the world are feeling the same about further investment there. Will these companies step back from China or will the lure of 1.5B consumers be too much to resist? Interesting times we are living in.

https://www.marketwatch.com/article...466189?mod=search_headline&mod=article_inline

Netflix and Disney+ Will Soon Air Ads. Roku Has Bad News for Them.
Last Updated: Nov. 3, 2022 at 11:11 a.m. ET First Published: Nov. 3, 2022 at 5:03 a.m. ET
By Adam Clark

NFLX +0.30%
DIS -2.13%
ROKU -3.85%

Netflix is launching its ad-supported tier Thursday, followed by Disney+ on Dec. 8.
Netflix and Disney traded choppily on Thursday after rival streamer Roku warned of a pullback in advertising spending during the traditionally strong seasonal period.

Eyes were on the update from Roku (ticker: ROKU) for clues to whether the big brands would be cutting their marketing budgets as consumers navigate the cost-of-living crisis. The streaming company signaled things do not look great. It forecast that its fourth-quarter revenue would fall by around 8% from the prior year.

Markets didn’t like that—Roku stock was down 11% on Thursday. Other streaming stocks were mixed. Netflix (NFLX) stock rose 1%, after a fall of nearly 5% on Wednesday. Netflix’s ad-supported tier, costing $6.99 a month, launches Thursday.

Netflix has risen 37% in the last six months, partly due to optimism around the ad-supported plan, announced in April. An underwhelming start with advertising could be a big blow to short-term sentiment around it and other stocks.

Walt Disney (DIS) stock fell close to 2%. Disney+ is expected to launch a new ad-supported tier on Dec. 8, which will cost subscribers $1 more than the Netflix option.

Roku Chief Executive Anthony Wood said in a call with analysts: “The trends we’re seeing are that big advertisers that we traditionally get spend from are not spending this quarter. They’re not spending with anyone.”

Internally, Netflix and Disney might not be too worried about a single quarter’s trends as they look to build up enough subscribers to their ad-supported tiers to win over big advertisers.

That could mean the big test of whether they are pulling spending away from traditional TV comes with next year’s upfront negotiations in late spring and early summer.

Roku executives said advertising trends were particularly poor in the so-called scatter market—advertising bought closer to the time of programming rather than during upfront negotiations. Currently, streaming platforms have more presence in the scatter market, while traditional TV dominates upfront spending.

Analysts at Benchmark Research said Roku is heavily exposed to brand advertising and potentially suffered due to its high level of direct-sales advertising which is negotiated with the customer as opposed to algorithm-driven programmatic advertising.

Netflix has a big challenge ahead. It had been seeking to charge advertisers roughly $65 for reaching 1,000 viewers, but some advertisers have ended up paying between roughly $45 to $55, according to The Wall Street Journal, citing ad buyers. Executives say 5% to 10% of its library will be unavailable on the ad-supported tier due to licensing issues. Netflix needs to win over advertisers and subscribers simultaneously, a tough task while consumer spending is constrained.

There was an interesting op-ed on this point in NYT a few days ago, though it was more about production than consumers.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

I was thinking more of Disney and their chasing the China consumer with the parks and movies. Production is a whole different animal and I think the pandemic exposed the need to diversify where stuff is made. The fact that the US can't make life saving drugs without ingredients coming from China is beyond belief and beyond stupid, pandemic or not.

It is 1/6 of the world in terms of both people and GDP. That’s a lot to ignore.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270439/chinas-share-of-global-gross-domestic-product-gdp/
Yes, and that is exactly why so many companies made major investments there. Many have criticized companies like Disney for selling out to the communists years ago but, if they didn't, others would say that ignoring 1.5B potential customers was a disservice to your shareholders. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter